Fireboy

Fireboy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

- Gentlemen, please remember, the most important thing is your safety! We're going to save people, but the wounded won't help them in any way! - our commandant announced when we turned into a side street and drove to the beltway, leading to the outskirts of Seoul.

 

 

The atmosphere prevailing in the fire engine was mixed with excitement, but also with tension. There were eight of us and just on the tail a second fire team was running. Today in the morning, as soon as I came to work, an alarm sounded and we immediately set off to action, pack the equipment and ourselves into the carts. There was a burning skyscraper on the outskirts of the capital city and we had to hurry because the fire was spreading rapidly because it was an exceptionally windy day. A few of us had smiles on faces caused by excitement and readiness to help. Others were sitting in silence, considering the plan of the whole action. I was looking around the car, remembering each step one by one and once again mirroring the plan of the building, which seemed to be extremely familiar. We were approaching the target and then the Commandant once again told us how to run the rescue operation. We set up the equipment, making sure everyone has everything they need. From ropes, headlamps, cutters to oxygen cylinders. Everyone had to have adequate equipment when they got into the burning building. At that time, we were only condemned to ourselves and any lack could lead to death. The car stopped and the sirens ceased to bark. We got off one by one, standing in a row to wish the success of the action for the last time.

 

 

- Let's go, boys, we're going together and we are coming back together, understand! - shouted the commander.

 

- Yes, sir! - we responded loudly and went ahead.

 

 

I looked up and quickly realized that the fire must have exploded on the last floors, where flames were raging with power and escaping from behind the windows. Gray smoke surrounded the remaining apartments and it was difficult to tell if they could be reached or completely absorbed by the element. I waited for my partner who was preparing a water cannon. As soon as the machine starts its work, I will have to go alone into the building. With Kyungsoo, we looked at each other for the last time and as soon as the water shot about 30 meters high, I ran toward the stairwell, climbing the stairs up. As one of the toughest and more experienced firemen, I was assigned the task of reaching the top. I had to check and inform the team how many injured people need help. Then my colleagues will follow me and we will start evacuating the injured. During this time, the others took care of checking the lower floors and evacuate people who had problems with independent movement.

 

I had glimpses that I had already been in this place before. The arrangement of the floors, as well as the appearance of the staircase itself, made me think that if I sometimes I didn't visit this block earlier. Not as a firefighter, but privately, as an ordinary civilian. However, I rejected this idea because I couldn't focus on the work I had to do. I overcome the last steps, running up to the ninth floor. It was terribly smoky, so I immediately slipped off the goggles and the mask to be able to see and breathe freely. Slowly I moved forward, carefully taking my steps, bearing in mind that at any moment something could tear or break. I walked along the corridor, looking as much as I could into flats, absorbed by the fire. I was relieved when I didn't see a living soul, which meant that the residents managed to escape outside. I went through the entire corridor and reported that it was okay and were no victims when I heard a soft bump and something like a whine.

 

I was a fireman for many years, and even if it was the usual sound of wood breaking under the fire, I couldn't ignore it and went into the second corridor to make sure that I didn't overlook some wounded person who needed help. When I came closer to one of the apartments, I heard a loud scream. I jerked the handle, but the door was closed, so I quickly reached for the crowbar and broke the lock in the door, allowing myself to enter. As soon as I did, I was struck by the heat and smoke, which despite the protective spectacles made my eyes prick.

 

 

- Chanyeol 3-2-0-8, I'm reporting! - I shouted at the earphone, attached to my ear. - I'm on the ninth floor and have an injured person. - I added and without waiting for the answer of the superior, I went deeper into the apartment to find the wounded but the black smoke that floated didn't make it easier for me. I checked two rooms until I got to the kitchen or a place that once resembled a kitchen. Now it was a piece of garbage with a beam from the ceiling stuck in the floor that prevented the passage to the rest of the house.

 

 

- I have a broken ceiling here and I'll need help. - once again I spoke to the receiver.

 

 

Soon after, I heard the rustling that came from under the collapsed ceiling. I ran closer, at the same time trying not to move random fragments that could collapse completely and cut off the way out. I leaned closer to find the victim and shuddered when I realized who it was. Baekhyun was laying in front of me with a leg pierced by a piece of wood. He was my boyfriend, with whom I was four years in a happy relationship. It was only him that set everything in my head. Every day we lived together, but sometimes Baek returned to his apartment, especially when we argued. I was in his apartment maybe once, so I couldn't associate it immediately. Seeing what state he was in, I got scared and my body got paralyzed. I didn't know what to do.

 

 

- Chanyeol, it's Junmyeon 9-7-2-5, how's the situation? - my supervisor's voice said and thanks to that I regained my consciousness.

 

- Baekhyun, there is Baekhyun, he has a broken leg, I don't know if he is conscious. A lot of smoke, fire everywhere. - I began to spit out a lot of words, hard to understand.

 

- Calm down Yeol. Give him oxygen, remember that you must not panic because both of you'll die. - the vigilant voice of the supervisor brought me back to the ground. - Support is coming, so hold on Chan and take care of him. - he added, then hung up, probably due to the lack of more time.

 

 

As soon as the call ended, I dropped the heavy backpack with the equipment and dug out the oxygen bottle. I skillfully connected the tube with the mask to it and put it on the wounded one. I unscrewed the valve and watched Baekhyun's cage begin to rise and fall slowly. It was a good sign because only a moment later the boy slowly opened his eyes. At the same moment, I took charge of securing the area around us, pushing as much as possible remains of furniture or carpets absorbed by the fire. I tried to avoid his injured leg as long as possible because, despite the knowledge of the procedures, I was afraid of hurting him even more. However, I had to somehow secure it, so as much as I could, I stiffened it in two places, so that in the event of movement there was no deeper bleeding. At that time, the boy slowly began to regain consciousness and react to what surrounds him. When he saw that flames were raging around him, he tried to get up. At the last moment, I managed to stop him and lay him back flat on the ground. With a brief command, I gave him to understand that he was wounded and that if he wanted to survive, he must listen to me.

 

I took a deep breath when everything was secured and I looked at his face, trying to see if there were definitely any other wounds. I also asked how he was feeling and whether there was someone else in the apartment. Hearing a negative response, I was happy that I would be able to focus on saving him. I was going to stifle fire to make a passage that would have made it easier for us to go out when I heard a crack and a bang behind me. Subconsciously I fell on the body of the wounded, trying to cover it as much as possible when the plaster and the rest of the rubble began to fall on us from the ceiling. I got up only when I was sure he was safe and I froze, noticing that the passage had been cut off. Almost the entire living room and hallway of the flat was covered with stones. With Bakehyun in such a serious condition, it was impossible to cross them, without exposing him to bleeding from his pierced leg.

 

It was starting to get really dangerous. The gauge on the bottle showed that we would have enough oxygen for up to thirty minutes. The smoke was getting denser and the fire was inexorably increasing. The severed escape route also intensified my fear. I didn't want to get stuck in this place when Baek needed help, and every minute was precious. I looked at him only when I felt a light shrug on my shoulder. I turned my head, meeting the soot-dirty face and glazed eyes. His whole little body shook and I realized how he must be afraid. Baek reached out his bruised hand into the oxygen mask and for a moment removed it from the mouth.

 

 

- Don't leave me here, please. - he said and his eyes were filled with the first tears that he wanted immediately wipe, but only smeared them with the dir

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter