Rain

Rain

The heavy downpour is soaking his jacket and jeans, and his fringe sticks to his forehead. Yet Daehyun can't find it in himself to return home. He had hoped coming back to his family for the holidays would allow him to relax and escape his insecurities for a while, but apparently not. On the contrary; he finds it even harder to keep up his smile despite his parents worried gazes, but he doesn't allow himself to break down completely, because he knows he won't be able to get himself back up. Instead, he opts for aimlessly wandering the streets of Busan.

He stops in his stride as his gaze falls on a small library. But it's not the building, plants raking through the old brick, that catches his attention; it's the girl sitting on the windowsill, lost in a thick leather-band book. It's almost unreal how she fits in the setting, with her oversized black hoodie and worn-down boots. His heartbeat quickens. The scene is oddly comforting and he can't bring himself to tear his gaze away.

After a few moments of basking in the harmony, he feels his feet moving to the next bakery, where he purchases two cups of hot chocolat. He barely feels the rain as he hurries back to the library, not wanting the drink to cool off. He's panting when he pushes open the door and starts to make his way to the window, only to be stopped by a short elderly woman with a messy bun.

„Where do you think you're going, young man? Beverages are not permitted in my library!“ Daehyun looks down to the drinks in his hand in regret. „I wanted to bring someone-... to bring the girl I like hot chocolat...“ „The girl you like?“ The librarian looks at him curiously, before her face suddenly lights up. „Wait, do you mean Louisa?“ Daehyun hesitates. „Actually... I don't know her name.“ He peeks over to the window, where she is still reading peacefully. „It's more of a crush,“ he admits, lowering his head in embarrassment. The librarian gives him a last stern gaze. „But only this once, got that?“ Daehyun beams and nods in response.

Then he walks over to the girl. Louisa. He comes to a stop only a few steps away from her. „Hey.“ The word leaves his mouth quietly, more quietly than he had intended to. She doesn't even look up, too immersed in her book. He clears his throat. „Hey,“ he repeats, this time louder. She pauses in her reading and blinks before she looks up, a small smile forming on her lips. „Hey.“

The world seems to stand still for a moment. Then Daehyun remembers the hot chocolat in his hands and awkwardly gestures for her to take one of the cups. „I brought you hot chocolat,“ he adds unnecessarily, wishing for the ground to swallow him whole. Louisa doesn't seem to mind, though. She eagerly accepts the cup offered to her, face lighting up as she takes a sip. Then she pulls her legs closer to make space for Daehyun on the windowsill. He sits down and turns to look out the window, not really knowing what else to say. The rain splattering against the glass creates a gentle harmony. After a while, the sound of turning pages joins the music. Daehyun takes a sip from his hot chocolat, the sweet taste lingering long after. He closes his eyes and leans his head against the glass.

This. This is what he needed.