first and last.

falling cherry blossoms remind me of you

Kyungsoo walked aimlessly out of the dorm with his usual all-black outfit, save for a light brown trench coat as the spring breeze was a bit cold for him that late afternoon.

He quietly entered the van which would take him to a place he has been to the most in his entire life. Before pulling out his earphones to listen to the song that was on loop for weeks now, he muttered a ‘good afternoon’ to his manager and the whole ride stayed that way - quiet.

It was practice day – more specifically, practice day for his solo for EXO’s upcoming concert. He received a lot of love for his solo in the previous tour so he wanted to perform even better this time. Problem is, his solo is another love song. As if it’s not hard enough considering how it’s been a while since he last dated, it was a song about love at first sight – something he doesn’t believe in at all.

He tried to recall moments in his life where he was under the guise of love:

  1. Definitely not his first love as the bad memories weighed more than the good ones
  2. His last relationship was years ago so it was a rather unreliable source as his heart doesn’t remember the feelings anymore – as heartless as that sounds, pun intended
  3. It would be weird to look back on his past romantic interests in his dramas and movies as those ladies either have boyfriends or boys they like

Kyungsoo sighed as he didn’t have problems with expressing emotions through songs before but then he remembered Chanyeol’s teasing just a couple of days ago. “Soo, I’m 100% sure it’s because you haven’t been in love for a long time. And nope, dramas don’t count.” He laughed his annoying laugh, “Who would’ve thought that the Almighty Kyungsoo is struggling to be in a relationship?”

The van went into a halt and Kyungsoo knows they’ve arrived. The sky was in a beautiful shade of pink and purple when he stepped down from the van; the breeze was still cool so he kept his trench coat on. From a distance, he saw cherry blossom trees lining up the walkway, some of the cherry blossoms fell from the trees just like how they do in movies and they complemented the sky pretty well. Even my surroundings look more in love than I do, he muttered.

Despite sleeping the whole day, he still felt lethargic so he decided to drop by the café to get coffee. He had his head down as he entered the café but it was no use as people recognized him still. Thankfully, there were not many people and everyone remained in their seats.

Kyungsoo was about to say, “The usual, please” to the barista but he stopped as he saw a customer ordering before him.

The customer before him was donning the same trench coat as him and it made him chuckle. “Hi, one iced caramel macchiato, please.” He heard her soft voice say that made him want to see her face. Her red beret-clad head moved left to right and back again as she scanned the pastries display. “Oh and a red velvet cupcake too, please.” Kyungsoo was used to hearing a lot of different voices but never has he heard a voice so sweet like that.

The barista then started preparing her drink and Kyungsoo noticed her tapping her right boot’s heel – in sync with the music playing on the speakers, Red Velvet’s About Love - against the floor. Her hands then roamed the basket of candy bags on the counter and started arranging them so that they were aligned perfectly. Kyungsoo smiled at that.

“Here’s your iced caramel macchiato. I will just serve the cupcake to you, would that be alright?” The barista asked. “Yes, of course.” The girl replied softly, he would need to move closer to hear her voice.

Kyungsoo’s head was already slightly tilted, excited to finally see her face to face. It’s not every day that Kyungsoo gets interested in the people around him, especially not with a stranger.

She carefully turned to not drop the drink on the tray but she stopped on her tracks as a man was blocking her path. She looked up at him and she felt like time stopped as her eyes came in contact with the man’s. Do Kyungsoo, her mind was instantly filled with his name – as if he doesn’t regularly occupy it. Her hands started to tremble and her legs became shaky that she dropped the tray that she was carefully holding and of course, her drink spilled all over the floor.

She swears that if that didn’t happen, she’ll probably just stare at him like an idiot but she later realized that this just made her more of an idiot.

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to.” She dropped to the floor to wipe the spill but Kyungsoo already beat her to it. He was stacking up tissues on the spill and she saw that the coffee spilled on his shoes, too.

She hurriedly grabbed a pack of tissues from her bag and started wiping his shoes. “I’m so sorry, I wasn’t being careful. Oh god, it stained already.” She was furiously wiping his shoes which was a very dumb move as it scattered the stain.

Kyungsoo silently mouthed his thanks to the barista who mopped the spill on the floor and took away the cup and the tray. He then gently held her hands to stop her from wiping his shoes. “No, it’s okay. It’s just my practice shoes, no big deal.” He offered her a huge smile to make her at ease but her eyebrows were still furrowed together, her lips in a pout, and her eyes still looking at his shoes. Really adorable, he was thankful he didn’t say that out loud.

She finally looked up and their eyes met again. Kyungsoo remembered the pink and purple skies outside as well as the falling cherry blossoms and for some dumb reason, his heart started skipping beats right then and there. He felt his cheeks flush and he would’ve been embarrassed if he didn’t see that she had the exact expression as him. They laughed at the same time and it was a beautiful sound.

“Are you okay, though?” He asked her. She smiled but she was avoiding his eyes. “Yes, I am. I was probably just surprised.” Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow. “Surprised over?” Her eyes widened and she laughed her beautiful laugh again. “You.” Kyungsoo has not met everyone on Earth but he knows that she has the most beautiful smile in the planet.

Kyungsoo laughed, “Oh, right…yeah, me.” Speak up, you fool, he chided himself. “Looks like it’s my fault then.” Kyungsoo, why are you so dumb? Her face scrunched, “No, no, it’s my fault. I would like to pay for your shoes.” She started rummaging through her bag and she brought out her wallet.

“Nope. I would not accept that. Let’s call it even, you lost your drink, too.” Kyungsoo said. “But your shoes is more expensive than my drink.” She replied with a confused tone. “I’m really fine. Like I said, they’re just my practice shoes. I also heard that white sneakers look better if they’re not completely white.” He tried to joke.

She knew she wouldn’t win in this; rich and nice people like him would never accept money over something like this. She sighed. “If you insist. But instead, I’ll attend your next concert.” He smiled the widest he has ever smiled in a while. “That would be perfect.”

She looked at his outfit and as much as she didn’t want to end the conversation, she was taking up too much of his time. “I see you’re here for practice? I’ll leave you to order now.” She said and Kyungsoo almost hit himself for forgetting why he was at SM in the first place.

“Oh, um. Yeah…sure. Don’t worry about my shoes, okay?” He stuttered as he made way to the counter. Of all days, why was he busy today? She nodded and smiled sheepishly as she made way to a table farthest from the café door. She had her head down that whole time and he knew exactly why – she was embarrassed as everyone was looking at her.

“Hey, Woojin, do you have a pen and paper?” He asked the barista and he gladly gave them to him.

Heeju didn’t know what to feel with that encounter. Her cheeks were still red from embarrassment and of all people, why did it have to be Do Kyungsoo? She had always imagined what it would be like to see him face to face. Those fantasies all went down the drain in mere seconds as she was a mess in front of him earlier. She did recall that small moment when their eyes met and she swore she saw him blush. She shook her head furiously. God, get yourself together, Jung Heeju. He’s Do Kyungsoo who has millions of girls lining up for him.

If she only knew.

Great, so she just humiliated herself in front of the man of her dreams and also spilled her expensive coffee. She was poking on her red velvet cupcake when a cup was slid on her table. She looked up with a confused expression on her face and saw Kyungsoo smiling at her while walking out of the café.

Heeju thought it was just a hallucination but there really was a cup of coffee in front of her. She took a sip and it was what she ordered if it didn’t spill – iced caramel macchiato. She smiled. What a really nice guy. Never in her entire existence did she expect to personally receive coffee from Kyungsoo. She wrapped her linen scarf around her neck and was ready to leave and keep this day in her mind as a fond memory of meeting Kyungsoo when she noticed a yellow paper in between tissues from under the cup. She saw a number scribbled and…

Since I bought you coffee, looks like you owe me one again so…dinner later?

Heeju immediately folded the paper and held on to it like it would be taken away from her and continued sipping her coffee with a smile on her face. I wasn’t a mess in front of him, after all.

In another floor of the same building, Kyungsoo was also sipping his coffee with a smile on his face. Love at first sight does happen, after all.