Chapter 3

Waiting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sorry for being so late! Also, timeline jump! :)

Waiting (3/3)

 

“So…You and Chaeyeon?”

 

“A-Ah! It’s not like that!”

 

“Doesn’t seem that way to me.”

 

Sakura knew that she couldn’t hide anything from Sasshi. Sasshi was practically a mother figure to her ever since the older lady moved to HKT. There was no point in denying her feelings for Chaeyeon when Sasshi could read her like an open book.

 

“Chaeyeon is…special.”

 

“But..?”

 

“You know why I can’t.”

 

“You’re afraid.”

 

“It took me years to get to where I am.”

 

“But you may never meet another person that makes you feel this way ever again. I’m not trying to pressure you, but I want you to think about yourself too. Your career isn’t everything.”

 

“…”

 

“You can’t…or you won’t? She isn’t going to wait forever for you.”

 

“I’m not even sure if she’s willing to take a step forward either. She just debuted.”

 

“A relationship is a two-way street. You may be smart, but you’re not the best at relationships.”

 

“Maybe it is for the best. Chaeyeon deserves better.”

 

“You belittle yourself too much. Chaeyeon came to me to talk about her feelings for you. That girl is in love with you. She may be rash, but I’m not sure you’ll ever find someone who will love you the way she does ever again. She sees the side of you that isn’t obvious to everyone else.”

 

“I’m just not ready.”

 

“Then you have to be prepared for a heartbreak.”

 

That alone was enough to cause the younger girl to look away, tears glistening in her eyes.

 

“I know.”

~~~

It has been a while since Sakura last met the IZ*ONE members. She was looking forward to their showcase, but unfortunately, she wasn’t available on the day. She did pre-order the single on the official website nevertheless.

 

In place of her, Sakura sent a large bouquet of flowers to congratulate IZ*ONE on their showcase.

 

Jjaeyeon: Saku chan! You didn’t need to! [attachment]

 

Sakura: Your cheeks look so fluffy in the picture! I couldn’t make it to the showcase, but I wanted to make sure everyone knew that I was thinking about them!

 

Jjaeyeon: You weren’t only thinking of me then? [sulks]

 

Sakura: Please, my favourite member in IZ*ONE is Minju! Her face is really beautiful.

 

Jjaeyeon: I am offended.

 

Sakura: Maybe Chaewon? Chaewon has a small face and sings really well.

 

Jjaeyeon: Sakuuuuu channnnn

 

Sakura: Or Eunbi Unnie? She has a nice body.

 

Jjaeyeon: I’m not talking to you anymore.

 

Sakura: Hyewon? Hyewon is really interesting.

 

Sakura: Jjaeyeon?

 

Sakura: Still sulking?

 

Sakura: I’m joking. I only look at you [and Nako] during performances.

 

Sakura: Still mad?

 

Sakura: [attachment]

 

Jjaeyeon: You don’t play fair Miyawaki.

 

Sakura: Just admit that you can’t resist me.

 

Jjaeyeon: I can’t deny that.

 

Jjaeyeon: You’re really beautiful.

 

Jjaeyeon: I mean it.

 

The Japanese girl could only look up at her empty ceiling with a hand placed over her rapidly beating heart. She knew that she shouldn’t, and couldn’t avoid the elephant in the room any longer. Chaeyeon has already made the first move, it was time she made her decision.

 

“I’m scared of how right this feels, Chaeyeon ah.”

 

Sakura: You’re the beautiful one.

 

~~~

Chaeyeon was ecstatic. IZ*ONE was going to appear on Music fair and HKT48 will also be there to promote their new single. It has been a long time since she saw Sakura in person.

 

She missed the older girl dearly.

 

“Excited?”

 

“I am. I haven’t seen her in a long while.”

 

“Why not make her your girlfriend? She seems receptive to your words and actions.”

 

“I can’t.”

 

“Why not? Idols date secretly all the time.”

 

“She isn’t ready.”

 

“And how would you know that?”

 

“I don’t, but I made a promise to someone that I would never pressure Sakura into making a decision like that.”

 

“Chaeyeon, it’s just dating. Sometimes it’ll work, sometimes it won’t.”

 

“But it isn’t just dating, Eunbi Unnie. Not with Sakura that is. It’s more than that. I want a future with her. One that is certain. I’m not here to test the waters with Sakura. She deserves more than that. I deserve more than that.”

 

“Chaeyeon…”

 

“I know that it is not realistic, but Sakura…She’s special.”

 

“Just be careful. Don’t hurt yourself in the process.”

 

“I know…”

 

But Chaeyeon knew that she was in too deep already.

 

She couldn’t see herself falling in love with anyone else other than Sakura.

 

“Come on, filming starts soon.”

 

~~~

“Sakura san! Have you been monitoring IZ*ONE?”

 

“Of course! Nako is part of the group so all the HKT48 members follow IZ*ONE’s schedules to make sure Nako is doing well!”

 

“Do you have a favourite member?”

 

“Of course it would be Nako! We’re very proud of her accomplishment!”

 

“Other than Yabuki Nako?”

 

“Mmm, my personal favourite is Chaeyeon! She dances really well and she takes very good care of Nako chan.”

 

The member could see the bashful smile that appeared on Chaeyeon’s face upon hearing Sakura’s comment. The two happened to be sitting right across each other during the interview as well. It was a convenient spot for both parties to observe how the other would react.

 

“Hitomi san! How does it feel like to have performed in front of a senior that you have long admired?”

 

“It is a huge honour! I look up to Sakura san a lot and I’m really grateful for her support!”

 

“We heard that a lot of the members in IZ*ONE are fans of Sakura san?”

 

“Yes! Yujin, Wonyoung, Eunbi Unnie, and Yena Unnie are fans of Sakura san, but the biggest fan would be Chaeyeon Unnie! Although she didn’t know who Sakura san was before, after FNS, Chaeyeon became Sakura san’s biggest fan! She even bought Sakura san’s goods!”

 

“Hi chan! You weren’t supposed to reveal that!”

 

Even though everyone erupted into laughter, Chaeyeon could distinctly hear Sakura’s voice amongst them. Seeing how much fun Sakura was having, Chaeyeon didn’t mind being made fun of on Japan’s national television.

 

As long as Sakura was happy.

 

“Is that so?”

 

“Ahh yes! I was very impressed by Saku chan, ah! Sakura san’s performance during FNS.”

 

“Saku chan? Are you on good terms with each other already?”

 

“We have been messaging each other often.”

 

“Miyawaki Sakura san finally got a friend!”

 

“I did! Chaeyeon is really a special person in my life.”

 

~~~

Even though Valentines’ Day was still a few days away, Chaeyeon had prepared something for Sakura. It wasn’t anything overly big. Chaeyeon had sought Nako’s approval before carrying out

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter