one

rain and primroses | wowkwan

The sun shone directly onto the minuscule flower shop situated in the middle of the bustling street, accentuating even it's finest features. The flowers around the shop, either placed on shelves or hung in baskets, had beautifully bloomed, much like the years before. Although Byeongkwan enjoyed the view, his motive to visit it daily was not solely based upon that but more so for the view of the person who owned it.

 

The fact that he had completely fallen for someone he didn't even know the name of, baffled him. He sat at a pristine table outside of the shop with his head resting on his hand, arm propped against the table. Watching as his infatuation began neatly arranging the flowers his mind wandered from the worrisome thoughts previously distracting him.

 

The man's raven hair perfectly complemented his rounded nose, almond eyes and exquisite jawline. He wore the usual uniform consisting of a yellow sweater over a white dress shirt, only allowing the collar to show, and black shorts ending slightly above the knee, emphasizing his thighs and calves Byeongkwan swore were crafted by the gods. 

 

The flawless man standing before him had caused Byeongkwan to become distraught and unaware of his surroundings. Lifting his head once again he saw those immaculate, almond eyes staring back at his own.

 

The moment seemed to last forever but Byeongkwan soon found himself sprinting away from the shop. If only he had stayed a second longer he would have saw a genuine smile make it's way onto the mans face along with a hushed chuckle. 

 

——

 

Byeongkwan had bundled himself in cozy blankets and mindlessly ate a variety of unhealthy foods to deal with such despair. He was fairly apprehensive at times but had suddenly found a pinch of courage nestled at the bottom of his heart. Although the fear of not having the man reciprocate his feelings was immeasurable, Byeongkwan knew that if he never tried to approach the man he would never be certain. Thus began a night filled with insomnia as he continued to quarrel with himself on whether to visit the flower shop or not. Byeongkwan never fully made a decision but he was no longer in control as his sleep deprived body made its way towards the place his heart truly wanted to visit.

 

——

 

Arriving at the shop Byeongkwan took a deep breath and softly closed his eyes before pushing open the glass door. The bell had rung advising the workers that a new customer had arrived. On the way to the shop he had formulated a perfect speech on how to express his feelings but all had gone to waste. Byeongkwan looked up to find a middle-aged woman running the till instead of who he was expecting. If the immense disappointment wasn't enough, the sun was no longer shining and rain began to pour. 

 

Byeongkwan hung his head low as he left the shop, not minding the water soaking his entire body. At least nobody would notice his tears he supposed. The trek back to his apartment felt much to long, stopping at a nearby park to compose himself seemed like a good idea at the moment. 

 

Byeongkwan thought, long and hard. Was the man afraid of him? Did he think he was weird? Bothersome thoughts flooded his mind to no end, his anxiety increasing drastically. The park no longer felt comforting but rather a place of dread. He stood up from the bench and began travelling home for a second time. 

 

——

 

In the upcoming weeks Byeongkwan would purposely distance himself from the flower shop in fear of bothering the man more, although that did no help on Byeongkwan's part. It was easy at first but missing soon became a desire to see the man again. Staying away from the shop was a chore, a dreadful one. His life had lost its colour.

 

——

 

It was pouring again, a reminder of his last day at the flower shop. Although he preferred to stay in the comforts of his apartment, staying cooped up in there all day and every day brought problems. Byeongkwan refused to cook, he was heartbroken, leaving no energy to spend time making a meal. Even leaving his bed was an appalling thought. But he needed food and the closest place was a convenience store a block down which, in Byeongkwan's state, was not very convenient.

 

Although he was grief-stricken he cared about his health just like any other person, making sure to wear a puffy parka at times, such as now, when the weather wasn't ideal. Although the padded coat was certain to make Byeongkwan appear as a baby penguin, as his outfit was completely black covering everything but his pale face and ample cheeks. The walk seemed to pass by faster than expected and the fresh air seemed to cure a portion of his heartbreak, although he wouldn't admit it. 

 

——

 

After buying some ramen and other snacks from the convenience store Byeongkwan began advancing home. During the venture something had specifically caught his attention. Looking down, he had noticed a yellow flower untouched. The flower was statuesque and it sat almost calling for Byeongkwan to pick it up. 

 

Shifting his gaze from the admirable plant he noticed someone standing in front of him. The person he had so desperately pursued was now a foot away from him. All Byeongkwan has to do was reach out. 

 

"Can I have that" the man spoke softly, adorning his face was a weak smile and his hand was out in front of him motioning for the flower. Byeongkwan was jolted out of his thoughts. Although he would prefer to hold on to the admirable plant, he hesitantly handed it over to the man who he noticed had a full bouquet of them.

 

"W-what are those for" Byeongkwan asked, genuinely curious but at the same time mentally cursing himself for stuttering during his first interaction with the man. 

 

"They are primroses. Meant to symbolize eternal love. I'm confessing today" the man smiled. Byeongkwan's heart shattered. He couldn't speak afraid that all his emotions would spill.

 

"Oh, I'm Sehyoon by the way" the name was perfect but Byeongkwan knew that he had no right to say it. In fact, had he ever had the right in the first place? He didn't care anymore, he just wanted to go home. And so he left, in the pouring rain almost reaching the speed of his flowing tears. He swore he heard someone call out for him, but it must have just been a fragment of his imagination.

 

——

 

If Byeongkwan was heartbroken before, this new feeling was a thousand times worst. The past couple weeks were filled with immeasurable pain and sorrow, but no matter how hard he tried, the feelings he had were not going to pass. Rain and primroses became bad memories but seemed to follow him wherever he went. 

 

Weeks soon turned into months but the thought of Sehyoon never faltered. Byeongkwan began to see him more often, whether it was at a nearby coffee shop, in the mall, and sometimes even in the library, his heart continued to ache as much as the day they had last, and first, spoken. 

 

Unknown to Byeongkwan, Sehyoon had noticed him each time they crossed paths as well. He took note of the fact that he wasn't doing well but knew that the last encounter they shared didn't go ideally. In fact, he missed Byeongkwan's daily visits to the flower shop and the days spent there grew boring. 

 

——

 

It was pouring again, bringing the saddening thoughts back to Byeongkwan, although he never truly forgot them. The nearby park, which he had deemed as  place of dread, was the first place to come to mind as he left his apartment. 

 

He sat quietly, reminiscing about the past when his infatuation never exactly had a big impact on his life. He wished that he could go back but his thoughts left his mind as he notices Sehyoon approaching him from across the park. 

 

Soaking wet and primroses in hand.