cherry is my favourite flavour

you look like a cherry cough sweet

kim minju hates many things. call her a negative person, but it is nothing but the truth. 

she hates the smell of burnt toast, and how the ashy bread leaves a disgusting taste in that won’t come out no matter how many cups of cold orange juice she drinks. she hates squirrels, because she’s very sure that the squirrel family on the tree outside of her bedroom window are plotting a large-scale attack that will leave her whimpering in the corner, buried in coconuts (or whatever squirrels eat.) she hates physics, because when will she ever in her whole, entire life need to know how fast a car turns a corner while the wind is at nine miles per hour in a north east direction (which probably isn’t even a real physics-y thing, and that in itself just shows how useless that subject is.) she hates a lot of things, but the one thing she hates more than anything—the one thing that really makes her teeth scrape together in unrivalled anger—is ahn yujin.

kim minju used to quite like school (with the exception of physics and math, because her teacher was a level of creepy she didn’t even know existed). minju used to do quite well in her studies and sometimes even spent a free period reading the odd poetry compilation book in the school’s very tiny library. but then, ahn yujin turned up. ahn yujin, the ridiculously beautiful, horrifically talented, gut-wrenchingly perfect fifteen year old genius that had, for some terrible, horrible reason, been transferred into a class two grades above her own. 

although minju was used to constant attention from her classmates, it wasn’t the fact that all attention was now on yujin that made her hate the poor girl. it wasn’t the fact that yujin beat her in nearly every random quiz or important class exam by only five or six points each and every time. it wasn’t because yujin was adorable and funny and sweet and basically everything that minju could ever want in a girl personified, taunting her with every smile and every giggle and the feeling of faintness minju felt whenever their hands would accidentally brush against the table, because minju knew that ahn yujin was in a league so far away from her own that she wasn’t even allowed to know the name of it. no, she hated ahn yujin for a completely different reason. 

ahn yujin made kim minju feel useless.

minju isn’t good at singing like yuri. she’s not a rap goddess in the making like minyoung. she can’t do cover dances like daehwi, she can’t draw like chaeyoung, she can’t read about four hundred and sixty four books in a day like hyejin can. but at least before ahn yujin came, minju could confidently say that she could do the prettiest poses. now, kim minju is officially useless, and it’s all ahn yujin’s fault.

”kim minju-ssi? what’s wrong? your face is all red.” and her stupid voice too. minju was so angry she could just grab ahn yujin’s face and kiss her right then and there, but she wouldn’t because she was too scared to do that. she just settled with mumbling a quiet ‘go away’ with a frown, hoping that yujin really was the genius everyone was so sure she was and would get the hint and leave.

but it’s ahn yujin, so of course she didn’t. 

“look, your presence is making it hard for me to breathe within this general area so can you do me a favour and off?”

she hates ahn yujin’s melodic laugh. 

kim minju hated a lot of things, but ahn yujin she definitely hated the most. her stupid, beautiful, soothing voice that she sometimes accidentally falls asleep to during physics class because it sounds so much like a lullaby when she talks? minju hated it. her idiotic, horrific face that was most definitely sculpted by the goddess of beauty herself? minju hated it. her super amazing and wonderful brain that made her become such a talented, witty, clever human being? minju hated it with a capital H. what ahn yujin said next? minju absolutely hated it.

”you look like a cherry cough sweet. but that’s okay, because cherry is my favourite flavour. i guess that makes you my favourite, too.” 

kim minju really, really, really hated ahn yujin.

gosh, kim minju hated her so much that she even bit ahn yujin’s lip purposely a little too hard when they kissed, just for all the trouble ahn yujin had caused her. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

—-

it’s very short, i know. but this story is just a short taster of my writing and hopefully it will make you want to stick around!