Chapter 3

Judas's Kiss

Am I…Am I going to die here? No, I don’t want to die. Not now, I still want to know why…why did Mrs. Tiffany betray me? Who was that man? Why is this happening? There is still so much, I need to know. That’s why…That’s why…

“I can’t die here!” exclaims Jungkook, his eyes fly open without warning, sitting up. Breathing heavily and rapidly. He falls back down on the pillow, in pain as his complexion ashen. He stares at the circulating fan above him, it felt nice. He exams the room, it was grey, not too spacious. A hospital of some sort but it did not smell like it. The moonlight illuminated the room through the window. In the corner are two computers, he has never seen these kinds of designs before, two chairs and a small black box with a black screen. Jungkook sighs, wondering where he was? He tries to swallow but his throat was in pain, he needed water, he turns to the strange syringe sticking out of his arm, dripping liquid. Puzzled.

 

The door opens, and he closes his eyes, pretending to sleep. He listens, as the floor creaked with each step that got closer and closer. Almost as if he was holding his breath, he prepared himself to lunch at whoever it was, he can feel a shadow standing over him. Without hesitance, his eyes flung open and he grabs the hand of his assailant. A loud shriek fills the rooms, as he stares into a pair of deep blue eyes, her forehead was wrinkled, and her hair was as white as snow. She scowls at him, as his eyes widen, shocked at what he was looking, he has never seen someone so wrinkled before. He quickly let’s go of the woman’s wrist, as she moves back, rubbing her wrist. She adjusts her white long coat.

“Strong for someone who just woke up,” she says.

Jungkook beats his lips, “Can-can I have water?”

“Hmm?”

“Water?” he says, eyeing the strange looking at the blue upside down filled water dispenser. The man nods her head, walking over to the dispenser. He watches her as she picks up a small looking cup, presses it against a blue paddle. The woman comes back to the side of the bed, handing him the water. He gulps it down, the cold water tracing its way down to his tubes, he coughs.

“Careful.”

Jungkook exhales, relieved but he was still thirsty, he hands the woman the cup, “Can I have more?” His stomach growls loudly, like a monster trying to get out.

“Seems like you’re hungry,” she says, “You should eat first. No eating in bed, can you walk?”

“Yes.”

“Alright, meet me outside,” says the woman.

 

Jungkook cautiously peers outside the room, he thought he was at a hospital, but it was a small shop, it felt warm and cheery, with bright lights and colorful walls. The sweet and bitter aroma smell made his stomach roar louder. The place was empty probably because it was late.

“Have a seat anywhere,” exclaims the woman from behind the counter. Jungkook sighs, scanning the place, he was too hungry and in pain to think. If the woman wanted to kill him, she would not nurse him back to health, he concludes.

 

The woman places a bowl of beef stew and rice porridge and a glass of cranberry juice. Jungkook watches her as she smiles at him. Traumatized by what happened, he could not bring himself to eat the food, despite his stomach growling.

“Is something the matter?”

Jungkook clears his throat, “why’re you helping me?”

“Hmm? Oh, because you need the help,” she replies, “It’s late, eat.”

“How do i- “

“Child, if I wanted to kill you, I would not have wasted my medical supplies, they are very expensive.”

Jungkook sighs, biting his lower lip.

“Someone brought you here,” she says, “He has a caring heart, it would be the end of me if something were to happen to you.”

Jungkook stares at her, studying her face, she seemed sincere, but the betrayal of Mrs. Tiffany made his heartache,

“No one does anything for free?”

“True,” she says, “Maybe once you feel better, you can work here for free until you pay back what you owe me.”

Jungkook sighs, “Okay.”

“Alright, people call me Miss. Diamond.”

“I’m Jungkook.”

“Well, Jungkook, nice to meet you,” she says, “I’ll fix a place for you to sleep.”

***

Jungkook’s dream took him to the orphanage when he was a child. There were children laughing as they chased each other, playing a game of tag. Jungkook felt a frisson of joy but then things went silent, and the house went up in flames. Jungkook stood frozen, helpless,

“Burn it to the ground!”

Jungkook’s eyes open as he quickly sits up, heart beating fast. He looks around, confused before everything came to focus, he was still at the woman’s house. He gets off the bed, heading towards the bathroom with the urge to pee. He s his pants, relived as the tension in his lower abdomen lessen, he exhales. After he was done, he zips his pants back up, his body was not aching as much as yesterday, but he still had bruises on his stomach and a lip. He washes his face after brushing his teeth, which was the only thing that he managed to recognize. This city had so many things that were strange, things he has only read about, it was like he went back in time when Project Zero was not created.

He stares at the bracelet, he presses the button, but nothing happened. They must’ve damaged it. He strains to pull it off but could not.

 

He hears chatters coming from the café out front, he moves the curtains to the side. It was early, his eyes look for Miss. Diamond, she was busy fixing the tables, preparing to open the café.

“You’re up,” says an unfamiliar voice, from behind him. Jungkook turns around, staring at him.

“Hi, I’m Sungwoon,” says the guy.

“Jungkook,” he says, “Where is this place?”

“Welcome to Correctional City, it looks like it was the time of the year, were you alone?”

“No, I was with six other people, what do you mean?”

“Every year, around the summer people are always thrown in Correctional City, criminals, the elderly, the sick- “

“I'm none of that- “

“Orphan?”

“Yes, I’m an orphan.”

“Society’s burden,” says the woman, “You got lucky, but I have an advice, don’t worry about others and always put yourself first. Nothing is free in this city and do not expect people to help you. Forget about the others and look after yourself.”

“Why did you help me, then?”

“Because I'm a rare species,” she says, chuckling.

“I don’t understand, what is the purpose of this city?”

“To dispose of trash,” replies Sungwoon.

Trash?

Before Jungkook could utter a word, the door opens, and a guy walked in. He had honey brown blondish undercut hair. Handsome as hell. He wore tight black jeans and a white t-shirt with a denim jacket. As he got closer, Jungkook detected a familiar scent- Clementine flower sparkles, orange blossom, and water lily.

It’s that him, the one who saved me? no way, he doesn’t look like he could beat all those guys.

“You’re up,” says the guy, standing in front of him. Jungkook watches him, he was a few inches shorter than. He locks eyes with him and was taken aback by how beautiful his eyes are- a raw umber and caramel mix, intense. Jungkook felt the air in the room decrease, his heartbeat starting to beat.

Breaking the gaze, he takes a step back, “Are you the one who saved me?”

“Saved you?”

“Yes.”

“I suppose, guess I owe your life.”

“Owe my life? What do you mean?”

The guy scoffs, walking past him, “Just as it sounds, your life now belongs to me.”

Jungkook scowls, baffles, his hand's curls into a fist, “I never asked you to.”

“Is that so?” he says, with a smirk.

“Jimin,” calls Miss. Diamond, “We need to open the café.”

Jungkook watches him, is this what she meant by people not helping anyone for free.

Jimin huh?

 The guy takes a step closer to him, leaning towards him, in a whisper, he says, “Forgot about your life in Project Zero and look after yourself. Or else life will be very short, just like your friends.” Jungkook gasps, eyes wide, frozen as his words sunk.

What happened to them?

Jungkook snaps out of it, “What do you mean I’ll end up like my friends?”

“Dead,” replies Jimin, joining Sungwoon.

“That’s a damn lie, how would know who was with me?”

“This is not the first time this happened, and they had the same electronic bracelet you are wearing,” says Jimin, “They tried to cross the red line, huge mistake.”

“Redline?”

“This is a Correctional City, a prison, even with though we are regarded trash, we are still confined to live here, any attempts to escape well… ends up futile.”

Jungkook clenches his fist, angry, “What kind of sick game is this?”

“The kind where only those who are strong survive,” says Jimin, “Forget their past, memories, the more baggage you have the easier for people to break you. Forget about everything and start over, your life now belongs to Correctional City.”

 

His words echo in his ear, in disbelieve, just what kind of punishment was this and what did they do to this deserve this. This has to be a joke. A sick joke.

 

“My life belongs to no one!” roars Jungkook, running out of the café.

It’s a lie. How can they all die? He has to be lying.

 

Not sure how long he has been running, Jungkook stops to catch his breath. Remembering their faces, he holds on to the wall, falling down on his knee. His stomach kept on contracting violently and forcing everything up and out. He kept heaving but there was nothing in his stomach, he found himself crying. Overwhelmed, he regretted leaving them behind. He wanted nothing to do with them but hearing that they died for trying to find their way back home, somehow made him feel responsible.

He punches the wall, a jolt of pain surges up his arm, but the pain turned into hot burning anger that seeks to harm, He hears footsteps, he takes in a deep breath, and exhaling, wiping his tears with his sleeve. Using the wall for the support he stands up, and turns around, ready to fight whoever it was. It was two guys, they stared at him, puzzled and exchanged glances,

“Are you okay?” says one the guys.

“I’m fine.”

One of the guys notices the electronic bracelet around his wrist, Jungkook follows his eyes as the guy whispers something to the other one, both turning to him.

“Are one the people brought here?”

“Why do you want to know?”

“Well, I’m surprised,” says one of them, taking a step towards him, “The others didn’t heed my warning, I saw them die.”

Jungkook gasps, so the other boy was not lying? “You just let a couple of kids walk off to their death?”

“If you follow an idiot, you are bound to share the same fate,” says the guy. Jungkook clenches his fist,

“That’s a nasty bruise,” says the other one, who was silent, his eyes lingering on the bruise on the corner of Jungkook’s lip.

 

Jungkook’s eyes locked on the guy, a stare down, a form of communication to let them know he was not afraid of them, it was a contest of sorts and winning came at a price.

“I heard the Elite boys got in a fight with someone on Wicked’s territory, a boy,” he says, stepping forward, and then stopping, “You don’t happen to be that boy, would you?”

“And if I was?”

“Well- “says the guy, his voice trailing off for a second, averts his gaze and then back at him, building up suspicious, Jungkook knows he was trying to intimidate him, and it was working well.

“Well- then you and I need to have a talk,” he says, a smirk forming on the corner of his lip but disappears within an instant.

Jungkook sighs, “I thought to talk to you or anyone about.”

“Watch how you talk to the boss!” roars the other one.

Boss?

“It’s alright,” says the guy, walking towards Jungkook, holding out his hand, “People call me Hope, come with me and I’ll explain everything you need to know.”

Jungkook’s eyes widen, staring at him, confused, no hint of threat or malice but Jungkook was learning quickly that trust comes at a price. But he is also desperate to understand what is happening, so maybe it won’t be a bad idea.