Chapter 4

Judas's Kiss

Jungkook sat across Hope, alert in case they try anything. He watches him as he sips his coffee and takes a piece of his rice and egg omelet, as Jungkook's remained untouched. He learned his lesson, he wasn’t going to eat food from a stranger. Jungkook scans the place, it was a small room behind the bar, outside was a bar and behind it looks like they run a casino of some sorts. Hope puts his cup down, glancing up at Jungkook.

“You have my condolences,” he says. Jungkook stares at him puzzled, “Your friends, losing them like that, it .”

“Yeah.”

“Hmm, why were you not with them?”

“I wanted to check out the place and well I met with bad luck.”

“Oh,” he says with a smirk, “So the rumors are true, you had a run-in with one of the Elite boys.”

“They started it, they were beating up a girl- “

“First rule if you want to last in this hell, learn to walk away from a situation that does not concern you.”

Jungkook scoffs, annoyed, “I came here because you said you would tell me what I need to know.”

“Okay, ask me anything then?”

“How does this city work if the bracelet doesn’t? the money system, communication, everything, how- “

“Okay,” says Hope, laughing, “One question at a time. Yes, the bracelet you have on is useless is here, it has no value, everything here is running exactly as things did thousands of years ago. This city has been around longer than Project Zero, it was made for those who are disloyal, criminals, and burdens. There are those who call it the forgotten city, but I don’t since we get a special surprise visit from Project Zero’s special police once in a while to keep us in check. We smuggle, trade, steal and sell. Which brings me to my point, this city is divided into four sections, each section owned by a gang leader, myself, leader of Vice, you have Wicked, The Elite, and Ruby. We have come to an agreement that public places are neutral since we do need to conduct business in order to survive.”

Jungkook sighs. A city ran by bunch thugs and gangs, “What did you do to be brought here?” Hope laughs, as his gang joins him. After laughing, he clears his throat, “There those like myself who were born here, punished for whatever crimes our parents committed.”

“Okay, so is there a police department here?”

“Yes and no, this city is owned by the four gangs, the police here are pretty much as corrupt as the people in it.”

So, it’s useless to seek their help. But why he is telling me all this? He must need something. Jungkook sighs, “So what do you want from me?”

“Me?

“Yes, I’m beginning to understand that people do not do things for free here, so what do you want from me?”

Hope smirks, “I want you to join Vice.”

“Join Vice? Why?”

“Yes,” he says softly, his voice trailing, “You got the eyes of a murder.” Jungkook gasps, eyes piercing.

“What the hell do you mean?”

“You have no fear or emotions, you learned your friends are dead and yet your eyes remain cold, I could use someone like you.”

He sighs, “If that’s what you want then I’m sorry, but I have no intention of joining any gang, I’m going to find my way out of this place and go home.”

“How dare you!” exclaims one Hope’s gang member but quiets down when Hope holds out his hand.

“Well, if that is how you feel then consider what I told you a gift. But heed my warning, if you are not in a gang then you are alone and will eventually die. Either someone will kill you or you will die from starvation, but death will be a gift considering what others go through.”

He is trying to scare, I’m not that easily intimidated.

Hope gets up from his chair and Jungkook follows, “If you change your mind, you know where to find me.”

***

Jungkook stood in front of the field they were dropped at, just like they said, they were really dead. He could see their bracelet scattered on the ground but no bodies. The red line was a line painted with red paint to let the city people know when they have reached the limit. Any attempts to cross is futile, an invisible wall that killed anyone and anything. Jungkook could not help but wonder what happened to their bodies? Did the so call police pick them up and toss them away like nothing? He remembers Hope’s words about a Special Police force coming to the city for inspection, that means there is a way to come and go in the city? All he has to do is figure it out, then he can be freed from this hell.

He sighs, as his stomach growls, maybe Hope was right, he would die of starvation first he can make any attempt to escape the city. But joining a gang was out of the question, he never liked following anyone’s orders anyway. There is only one option, find a job, as strange as this place was, it is a city with business which means work. He’ll work and support himself. Jungkook hears a rustling sound and quickly turns around but there was no one behind. He scans the place, I thought I was alone here? He sighs, alerted as his eyes continued to search the area. The noise was coming from behind the pile of garbage, he walks around. A silver plate comes flying and he quickly moves to the side as it crashes and breaks.

“Hey, who are you?” comes a voice. Jungkook looks up to see someone sitting on top of the trash, a boy.

Jungkook stares at him, wondering what he was doing?

“What is it?” comes a female voice, who came around and stands in front of Jungkook. Not sure of what to say, Jungkook just stared at them, as the boy got down from the pile, standing next to the girl. They looked like the same age as him. The boy had black hair, a rounded nose, and a mole, he was pretty for a boy. The girl had long light brown hair and a beautiful baby face, they look like they could be related.

“Are you spying on us?”

“No, I’m not spying on you guys,” replies Jungkook, not wanting to start trouble, “I’m gonna go.”

“Wait,” says the girl, approaching him, Jungkook takes a step back, “I’m not gonna hurt you.”

“Dahyun,” calls the boy, “What the hell are you doing?”

“Don’t you notice,” she says, “He has the bracelet on.” Jungkook glances at his electric bracelet, it seems to be the one thing on him that let everyone know who he is.

“He is one of the ones who was brought here,” she says, excitedly, “Do you know what that means?”

“Dahyun,” says the boy, glaring at her. She clears , turning back to Jungkook and smiling,

“What’s your name?”

She seems cheerful for someone who lives in this hell.

“I’m Dahyun,” she says, “That grumpy guy is my brother, Taehyung.”

Siblings.

“Why’re you telling a complete stranger our names,” says Taehyung, clenching his fist. Dahyun laughs, as Jungkook stares at them,

“We’re not strangers anymore,” she says, “We should take him to meet Oppa, maybe he can join- “

“Cut it,” says Taehyung, “You got in trouble for bringing strays last time.”

Stray? I’m not a dog. Jungkook sighs, “What’re you guys doing?”

“Hmm, just looking for things that are useful,” she says. Jungkook nods his head, his stomach growling.

“Oh, you’re hungry?” asks Dahyun.

He clears his throat, embarrassed, “Do you know how I can get a job here?”

“A job?”

“Yes, I don’t want to join any gang, so I need to job to make money.” Taehyung and Dahyun exchange glances, puzzled.

“Why don’t you want to join a gang?” asks Dahyun.

“I have my reasons,” he says.

“You seem conceited,” says Taehyung, “Come on Dahyun, let’s go, we found enough for today.”

“You can go,” says Dahyun, “I’m gonna show Jungkook where he can find a job.”

“Why?”

“Because I want to,” she says.

“Whatever,” says Taehyung, walking away with a backpack.

Jungkook turns back to Dahyun, “Why’re you being nice to me?”

She laughs, sniffing herself, “Argh, I smell like garbage, follow me.”

 

***

Jungkook stops as they arrived at the same clinic slash café he woke up when he was injured.

“Something the matter?”

“You live here?”

“Hmm? No but Mrs. Diamond is really cool, she lets us hang here and gives me free food,” she says, “Come on, if you need a job, she can hire you.”

“Um…”

“Come on,” urges Dahyun, taking him by the hand, she was really friendly. Jungkook was too tired and hungry to fight back, and it seems like fate since he was back at where he started. He follows as Dahyun drags him inside the café. The customers glanced up as the door swung open and returned to their conversations as the door closed. They walk up to the counter where Jimin was standing, helping a customer. Jungkook stayed behind, head lowered as he avoids making eye contact with him.

“Hi oppa,” says Dahyun, “Where is Mama Diamond?”

“In the back,” answers Jimin, “You stink, went trash digging again.”

“I’m not a dog,” she says, “Oh, can you give some breakfast while I shower.” Jimin glances at Jungkook and nods his head without uttering a word.

“Have a seat, I’ll be back,” says Dahyun, heading to the back. Jungkook clears his throat, sitting on the stool, glancing at Jimin, who said nothing. He watches him as he puts something in the microwave. He seemed different than he was in the morning, less smug and intimidating. Jimin came back to where Jungkook was sitting, he places a bowl of instant noodles, something he learned to have after he left the orphanage. Jimin pours him a glass of orange juice, pushing it towards him.

“Go ahead and eat,” he says, with a smile. Jungkook stares at him, dumbfounded, who was this guy? It was like staring at someone else. Everything about him now was soft with an understated joy as he greeted the customer. He was all smiles as he asks the customer how their day is going, chitchatting and stuff. The smoke from the noodles filled Jungkook’s nose as he picks up the fork, still staring at Jimin, who turns around and winks at him with a smirk.

It must be a front since he is working.