Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For as long as she can remember, Jeongyeon has been alone. Not lonely, but alone. She likes it that way. For her, attachments are merely strongholds that will ruin someone emotionally. And Jeongyeon doesn’t like that. She won’t give anyone the chance to ruin her. So she keeps everything at arms length. The last girl she messed with told her that she should herself because she’s clearly a cold hearted snake. Jeongyeon shrugged it off and looked for another girl to toy with.

It became a cycle. Until one night, Jeongyeon got bored inside the bar and went to the nearest cafe. Cliché as it may seem, she found a girl with tons of papers scattered on the table. She proceeds to the counter and buys two coffees, wishing the girl likes latte.

“Here, you might need this,” she tells the girl. Round eyes meets hers. Jeongyeon is amazed by how beautiful the girl is. Although her heart didn’t skip a beat like what she wants to happen. Maybe the girl is like all the other girls she met before. Just a girl.

“You are?” the girl asks. Jeongyeon shrugs and sits across girl.

“Studying?” she responds. The girl tilts her head, judging if she is harmless or not. Jeongyeon chuckles, “I won’t bite. Chill.”

The girl sighs, leaning on her chair and crossing her legs, “What you do want?”

Jeongyeon thinks. What does she want, really? She doesn’t even know, “I’m not sure. Just someone to talk to, maybe?”

“Well I don’t have time to talk with anyone. See these? All these cases? I barely have time to breathe,” the girl tells her. Jeongyeon feels a smile on her lips. It’s been a while since someone had the guts to actually tell her no. Well, no one had ever said no to her.

“Yoo Jeongyeon,” she holds out her hand.

The girl sighs but takes it, “Mina. Myoui Mina.”

“So, what are these papers all about?” she grabs a paper and reads it, “Homicide vs Murder. Ahh, law student, huh?”

“Pretty much,” Mina grabs her glasses from the table and a bundle of paper. “I appreciate the coffee, really, but I have to read and solve this mystery.”

Jeongyeon, ever so curious, stands and sits beside Mina, reading the case with her, “Ahh, the murder of Doctor Angela. It’s pretty obvious that the killer is her adopted child.”

Mina looks at her with wide eyes, “What? The child is not even part of the suspect list.”

“Suspects are merely suspicious people who can possibly do it. But there are no proofs given. But if you think about it, the director of the hospital can’t possibly lose Doctor Angela because she’s a prized doctor. Angela’s fiancé won’t get anything from killing her because they aren’t married yet. The papers for conjugal properties aren’t even signed. The secretary is a possible killer because of her relationship with the fiancé but she can’t do it before the wedding because again, all the properties will still be left with Angela. Thus, the best suitable killer is her adoptive child, Angel. Legally, she’ll be able to inherit every belonging Angela possessed. Without the fiancé’s power since they haven’t gotten married,” Jeongyeon explains. Mina’s lips parts, amazed by how the girl made sense.

“Are you a law student?” the girl shakes her head. “How?”

“I read a lot,” Jeongyeon sips her coffee and looks at the other cases, “Need help with the rest?”

Throughout the night, Mina accepts Jeongyeon’s help in figuring out the cases. Their ideas clash with each other but they always come with a solution. It was natural. Jeongyeon finds herself enjoying the company of the girl. Mina, in simple words, is a breath of fresh air for her.

“I said that it should be the other girl, not this man,” Mina argues, insisting that the culprit of a case is the girl.

Jeong nods, “Fine. Why is she the culprit then?”

“Because she’s broke,” Mina answers confidently.

“She may be broke but she has no accesses in any confidential records of the bank,” Jeongyeon takes a paper and draws a diagram. “This is the man, he knows and has all access in every information because he is the IT of the company. He knew about the pending salary loan of the woman which is why he used the woman’s account to transfer the dirty money. It’s a scheme. It just so happen that the woman was confused so she asked the authorities.”

With a frustrated sigh, Mina says, “You know what, attend my classes. I give up. You become the lawyer. I’m not for this.”

Jeongyeon chuckles and pats her shoulder, “You gotta think harder and outside the case. If you wanna solve the mystery, think of yourself as the criminal. Be the criminal to find the criminal.”

By the time four am arrived, Mina is on her fifth coffee and Jeongyeon is just playing on her phone, “What are you doing?”

The taller girl looks at her, “Killing time.”

“You can go home, you know,” Mina says.

Jeongyeon shakes her head, “And leave you here with those boys looking at you? Nah, I’ll stay here.”

“I have a car. They won’t be able to touch me,” she explains.

“I’ll walk you to your car and make sure they won’t follow you then,” Jeongyeon helps her carry the papers and her bag. Mina smiles, appreciating Jeongyeon’s care.

~

The night Jeongyeon met Mina somehow marked the day she stopped playing with girls. She finds herself talking, texting, messaging, Mina. It came out natural. Jeongyeon and Mina normally talk until the morning comes. She’d listen to Mina’s rants as Mina listens to hers. Her friends keep asking why she’s been ditching weekend parties and Friday night outs. Jeongyeon just shrugs and tells them that she’s got other important things to do.

Important things to do as in keep Mina company while the girl loses her mind in Law School.

She finds joy in that. When Mina suddenly disappears, leaving her hanging because an exam suddenly appears, Jeongyeon understands. She even messages the girl good luck. If Mina suddenly falls asleep because of too much fatigue, she’d say good night. Although they haven’t met since. They just message each other.

Until one day, Jihyo confronts her, “You’re in love.”

Jeongyeon laughs, “What?!” she puts down her phone and looks at her friend, “What now?”

“You.. I don’t know. You seem different,” Jihyo sits and massages her temple. “You keep looking at your phone, smiling when a notification appears, giggling when reading a message. That ain’t you.”

She nods, “I just made a friend, Hyo. Nothing new.”

“We’ve been friends for years. That ‘friend’ is not what a friend is to you,” Jihyo glares.

With a defeated sigh, Jeongyeon raises her hands, “Fine. Maybe I have a tiny crush on her. It’s not my fault that she’s smart and she can actually come at par with my ideas.”

“How long?”

“Uhm.. we met two months ago?” Jihyo hits her head.

“Two months and you haven’t told me?!” she frowns at the loudness of her best friend’s voice. “What? Are you gonna hide her forever?!”

“Geez, not like she’s my girlfriend, Ji. Chill,” she chuckles nervously. “I met her randomly. I just find her cute because she challenges my brain. I love a challenge.”

“What’s her name?” Jihyo asks. Jeongyeon bites her lip, she doesn’t want to stalk Mina, “Yoo Jeongyeon!”

“Mina! Myoui Mina!” she concedes. Jihyo grabs her phone and searches.

“Damn. She’s a dancer?!”

“I don’t know,” she answers. “All I know is she’s a law student. Plus she’s smart, funny, and witty,” a smile ghosts on her lips.

“You’re in deep , Yoo Jeongyeon,” she shakes her head. “What? The last time you praised someone like that was when you were talking about Sunmi-unnie. And we all know you two had a thing. Too bad she left.”

“First, we don’t mention Sunmi. Second, Mina is just a friend. She’ll remain as a friend,” she dismisses Jihyo and leaves.

Her phone beeps.

From: Mina :)
Class just ended! Can’t wait to eat :(

Jeongyeon smiles to herself.

To: Mina :)
Congrats on surviving! Eat well and get some rest. :))

Yep. Mina is just a friend. Mina should remain as a friend.

~

For some unknown reason, Jeongyeon can’t seem to grasp the idea of keeping Mina as a friend. No. She can’t. Which is why she’s banging her head on the desk. Yes, she’s still in college. A senior, to be exact.

“What the hell’s your problem?” Jihyo enters the reserved room.

“Mina,” she whines. “God, why is she not replying? Did I do something wrong? What if she’s mad?”

“Can’t it be that she’s busy? She’s a law student, Jeong. You can’t expect her to reply asap. Besides, aren’t you busy too? Last week of being a student for us.”

“I know. I just,” she covers her face. “I’m doomed.”

“Can’t say I told you so,” Jihyo shrugs.

“And to think I don’t even spend time with her,” Jeongyeon says to herself.

“,” Jihyo throws a pen. “Not spend time my . You two practically talk twenty-four seven! And now she haven’t messaged in a week and you’re already losing your mind. Just admit it, you like her.”

“I never said I didn’t, did I?” Jeongyeon retorts before escaping the room, leaving Jihyo shouting.

Yes, she likes Mina. A tiny crush wouldn’t hurt. Especially since Mina understands her so much more than anyone else. Those post midnight thoughts she’s so scared of, Mina knows. The nightmares that haunts her in her sleep, Mina is aware. It’s always easy with Mina. No matter how insane that sounds. Mina, the insane, funny, quick witted, law student, keeps her sane. She never expected it. It’s just... natural.

She never told anyone about the nightmares but with Mina, one question was all it took. And Mina, being the gentle lady that she is, talks to Jeongyeon until she calms down. Jeongyeon doesn’t even know when it started. She can’t remember the day she admitted that she likes Mina. It just happened. And believe her when she says that she tried with all her might to not like the girl. She hates having feelings. She hates getting ed up by people she cares so much. She hates it when she expects.

But no, she just had to like the girl who happens to be the only one who can match up with her weird wired brain. And so just like breathing, she naturally accepts the fact that maybe she likes Mina. A little more than she should.

She finds herself inside the room again. This time with some other friends, “So, Jeong, when are you gonna introduce your new girl.”

Jeongyeon laughs, “I have no new girl.”

“Don’t joke. Which one? The girl who asked for your number? Or the junior who keeps giving you cupcakes?”

“Maybe it’s the girl who she met online. The one in Europe,” another friend teases.

“None,” she checks her phone, waiting for Mina. “I have no side girl right now. I don’t think I’ll have one soon.”

“Are you sick?” a friend chimes. She shakes her head, disappointed that Mina didn’t text the whole day.

“No. Just a little tired,” she grabs her bag. “Can I go home?”

“We need to wait for our prof,” someone answers. She groans and sits again, casually stealing a look on her phone.

“You know what? Whatever. If she doesn’t message then don’t. I have other things to do anyway,” she bursts. Her friends all look at her as if she grew another head.

Just then, her phone beeps, she immediately grabs it and sees Mina’s message.

From: Mina :)
I think I survived hell week. Sorry for not messaging :(

She grins.

To: Mina :)
It’s okay. Have you eaten?

“And here she said that she doesn’t have a girl,” a friend tells.

“I don’t,” she answers, still talking to Mina with a smile on her face. “She’s not my girl.” although Jeongyeon wishes she is.

That night, Jeongyeon falls asleep while her messages are open. Pretty much because she was waiting for Mina to reply.

~

Time flies fast when someone is enjoying. Jeongyeon is about to start working. And yes, she’s still pretty much in like with Mina. She wouldn’t say love because it’s too early. But she likes talking to the girl. Her day is pretty much complete if Mina messages her.

But one thing about Jeongyeon is that recently, she’s been sick. Too much stress from work, obviously. Mina’s been MIA on her because the girl’s in the middle of law school hell so she understands.

One night, after work, Mina messages her.

From: Mina :)
I’m tired lol

To: Mina :)
Pick me up. I’m tired too.

Jeongyeon chuckles with her joke. She knows Mina is busy and probably in need of rest.

From: Mina :)
Where?

She panics.

From: Mina :)
Don’t seen me.
Where?

To: Mina :)
Are you serious?

From: Mina :)
Can you wait around an hour? Traffic.

To: Mina :)
I won’t be out till then.

From: Mina :)
See you. :)

A smile creeps on her. She feels the warm feeling all over her body. She’s pretty sure she’s blushing. She messages their group chat.

yoojeong: ATTY’S PICKING ME UP. I’M SHAKING.

hyoster: I THOUGHT YOU TWO HAVEN’T TALKED IN TWO WEEKS?

yoojeong: idc. I’m seeing atty :(( I’m happy

dubudab: where’d that ‘move on’ go?

dubudab: you owe us pizza. Jeong’s gonna get herself a girlfriend!

yoojeong: lol no. She’s not gonna be my girlfriend

hyoster: but you’d like that, don’t you?

yoojeong: a concept. :)

Jeongyeon goes to the nearest mall to buy at least a snack for Mina. Her heart throbbing fast inside her chest. She buys a sandwich and waits for Mina to arrive. When the girl messages her, she half runs towards the vehicle.

She gets inside and looks at Mina. She hides a smile and tells a joke. Mina complains but laughs, “You’re so corny.”

“But it makes you laugh anyway,” she wants to tell Mina she misses her. But she won’t. Just so it won’t get awkward between them.

“So, where to?” Mina asks. Jeongyeon gives the snack she bought, “You didn’t have to. But thanks.”

“Just drop me off the nearest bus stop,” she answers.

“Will that be close to your house?” she shakes her head. “Then why not drop you off your house then?”

“It’s far!” she whines. Mina rolls her eyes playfully and throws her phone on Jeongyeon’s lap.

“Put your address. I’m dropping you home,” Jeongyeon’s about to protest when Mina gives her a dead look. She keeps shut and puts in her address.

“It’s a long drive, I’m warning you,” she mumbles.

Mina shrugs and puts her playlist, “I’m here anyway. Besides, you’ll keep me company.”

Jeongyeon’s heart skips a beat. She doesn’t like a bit of what she’s feeling. But she can’t control the rapid beating of her heart. Stupid Mina.

As a result, Mina keeps laughing because Jeongyeon hates awkward silences. And to add, she likes hearing Mina’s voice. The sweet, soft voice of the girl. And when she laughs, damn, Jeongyeon can already imagine wanting to make her laugh for as long as she can.

“So,” Jeongyeon trails off, “How’s your heart?”

Mina keeps quiet for a while before answering, “I guess it’s okay.”

“Mina, you won’t be able to move on if you don’t even want to move on,” Jeongyeon tells. She swallows her own words. Tough words for someone who likes without any idea if she’ll be liked back. With much difficulty, Jeongyeon fights back a cough.

“We met the other week,” Mina begins. Jeongyeon listens attentively, thinking about the mess she just got herself into.

Because if there is one thing that is stopping Jeongyeon from liking Mina completely is that the girl’s in love. Very much in love with someone else. She mentally slaps herself every time she fails to stop herself from liking Mina an inch more. So in short, she slaps herself everyday.

“And?” she stares on the road, afraid that if she looks at Mina, the girl will decipher her deepest fears.

“Nothing. We didn’t talk. Expected.”

“She doesn’t deserve you,” Jeongyeon utters. Mina laughs and shakes her head, “I’m serious. She’s lucky you like her. She’s missing out a great chance to be happy.”

“Thanks, Jeong,” the girl replies. Jeongyeon grins, “What?”

“You free next Friday? I’ll get my paycheck. Dinner, my treat,” she asks. As much as she wants to date Mina, she’d rather make her happy first. Forget about the girl she loves, as long as Mina’s laughing, Jeongyeon’s okay with that.

They arrive in front of Jeongyeon’s house and to her surprise, her big sister is outside. Jeongyeon steps out of the car, “Roll your window down. My sister,” she points.

Jeongyeon greets her sister and motions to the car where Mina is smiling shyly, “Unnie, this is Mina. A friend. Mina, meet Seungyeon-unnie.”

With a shy bow, Mina greets, “Good evening.”

Seungyeon smiles, “Good evening too.“

Jeong tells her sister to go inside. She turns to Mina who was still smiling shyly, “Hey.”

Mina chuckles, “I’ll go ahead, Jeong.”

“Yeah. Text me when you get home. Thanks for driving me home,” Mina nods and revs the engine. “And Mina..”

“Hmm?”

“Be careful. See you next Friday,” Jeongyeon says.

“See you next Friday,” Mina replies with a smile.

Jeongyeon gets inside their house and her sister is already waiting, “How’d you meet her?”

“A friend who’s studying law. When I was inquiring, I met her,” she deadpan lies. She can’t tell her sister that she approached Mina one night and they’ve been friends since. Her sister will skin her alive.

~

As usual, Jeongyeon and Mina does not talk for a week. Jeong has grown used to it. She knows Mina’s busy with school and she doesn’t like distracting the girl, knowing that the girl is probably losing her mind and sleep.

But on the brighter side, Jeongyeon looks forward for the dinner that they will be having. So Friday morning, Jeongyeon goes to work with a cheery mood. She greets every senior she can see, bows to everyone. She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter