Times Like These

Times Like These [One-Shot]
Han Geng retired to his bedroom after a long day of schedules. He collapsed on his bed, face down, day clothes still on. He wouldn't go to bed just now, no; but he figured he deserved a moment of rest, right?
 
He groaned when he could feel himself suffocating from lying face down in his pillow. Reluctantly, he rolled over to breath freely. In the process of rolling over, he saw his laptop on his nightstand, sitting peacefully beside a picture of himself with Super Junior. He stared at the picture, thinking. 
 
Han Geng didn't regret leaving SM; he is positive it was the healthiest thing for him. However, he does miss the group, his friends, his brothers. A certain Kim Heechul. 
 
He rolled over more and pulled himself into a sitting position, pulling his laptop onto his thighs. Opening the tiny computer, he smiled subconsciously at his background picture. It was a picture of he and Heechul in a jail cell, leaning against the bars together. His mind wandered to how fun attempting to film “Full House” in English had been. He chuckled remembering the elders cheesy saying. 'You're so gorgeous,' had run through his head for days while filming. 
 
With a sudden rush of nostalgia, Han Geng opened his picture folder entitled “Super Junior.” Clicking open the first picture, a smile pulled at his lips, again.
 
And so Han Geng remained, a full hour passed when he wanted to go to sleep. He finally came across a picture of himself and his favorite eccentric Korean, Heechul. They were on stage after some performance, he couldn't remember. He chuckled at the way Heechul was giggling behind his hand after having wrapped his arm around Han Geng's. It was cute, he had to admit. 
 
Suddenly he wondered what his little Korean was doing. Because of both of their differing schedules, they hadn't been able to contact each other that much. He knew Heechul had recently entered the army, but he was also aware that he was back living in the Super Junior dorm. 
 
Out of curiosity, he searched for Heechul's twitter and scrolled through his tweets, clicking through to the recent photos. 
 
He came across a recent picture of Heechul and Leeteuk sipping tea at a restaurant, the two leaning into each other for a picture. It was such an innocent picture, but it had Han Geng pursing his lips. He had noticed from articles and fan posts that Heechul and the leader had become significantly closer since he left. Han Geng wanted Heechul to be happy, but he didn't want to see him hanging all over the other members. (The 'Bonamana' performances had really messed with his mind.)
 
He snatched his phone from the nightstand, disregarding the time, and dialed Heechul's number. 
 
On the third ring, the phone clicked to show the other line had been answered; however, the Chinese man heard nothing on the other side.
 
“Heechul?” Han Geng asked through the phone. 
 
“You better be either dying or lost somewhere in Korean or at my doorstep to be calling me at this hour. So, which is it?” Heechul muttered through the phone. It was clear he had been sleeping, and it was crystal clear that he was a bit pissed from being woken up.
 
Han Geng chuckled, again. Even if Heechul was pissed, Han Geng had to admit that he missed his voice. 
 
“None of the above.” Han Geng said bravely. 
 
“I'm hanging up then.” Heechul muttered. 
 
“No, no! Don't hang up!” Han Geng rushed out, worried that the other would actually hang up. 
 
Little did he know that Heechul had become wide awake upon hearing the Chinese man's voice. He rolled to his back, the phone never leaving the side of his cheek, never intending to hang up. 
 
“Okay, okay. What do you want then?” Heechul kept up his pissy act.
 
Han Geng smiled, again. He felt like a high school boy talking to his crush. In a way he was; speaking to Heechul made him this way. 
 
“Nothing. How are you?” 
 
“Hmpf...You woke me up at this hour just to ask how I am? One does not simply wake Kim Heechul up for something as unimportant as that.”
 
“It's not unimportant...” Han Geng ignored the bite Heechul had intended with his words.
 
“Hmm...” Heechul didn't have a snarky remark to this one. In all honesty, he had felt something warm spread through his entire body when Han Geng had declared that his well being wasn't unimportant. 
 
“So, how are you?” Han Geng asked, again.
 
“I'm okay, actually. You?” 
 
“I'm okay. Tired, but I'm okay.”
 
These were the little conversations the two entertainers reveled in. Each could put aside their performances for the public and ask such simple but caring questions. It was times like these that each longed to be able to ask his simple question in person, to the other's face. 
 
“I miss you.” Heechul blurted out. His eyes widened in surprise at his own bluntness He was usually in control of his feelings; that one had slipped out. 
 
“I miss you too, Chul.” Heechul could almost hear the smile claiming the Chinese man's face. 
 
The two talked about nonsense a bit more, before Heechul began to actually feel the effects of having been woken up in the middle of the night. 
 
After a big yawn, Heechul asked what the real reason for the call was.
 
“I...Well, I did want to speak to you; don't think I didn't want to hear your voice.” Han Geng said up front. He remembered his real reason for calling, but he didn't want Heechul to think he was being selfish.
 
“I know. How can you even bare to carry on with life without hearing this flawless voice every half hour? I don't know how you do it, honestly. I don't know how anyone does it.” 
 
Han Geng rolled his eyes, but continued. “You and Leeteuk...Umm... Yeah, you and Leeteuk...” Han Geng hoped his point was understood; it seemed to be harder to verbalize his worrying thoughts. 
 
“What about Teukie and I?” Heechul asked. A grin pulled at his lips. He understood what his Chinaman was trying to say; he just enjoyed toying with him.
 
“You're not...close...right?” Han Geng tried, again.
 
“What? Of course we are close! He's the leader, closest to my age, and we've known each other for a long, long time now. How can we not be close?” Heechul tried his best to hide his chuckle. 
 
“Kim Heechul. You know what I'm talking about.” Han Geng could hear the evil smirk Heechul was trying to hide. 
 
“I do. But, why do you care?” Heechul could string him on a little bit longer, right? That wasn't cruel and unusual torture, was it?
 
“Heechul...” Han Geng whined. He actually whined. He knew what Heechul was doing. He also knew that the other could keep this going all night if he so pleased. 
 
“Urgh, fine! You ruin all the fun, you know. Why are you asking? Been watching the 'Bonamana' performances, again?” 
 
“Shut up, Heechul. Are you two...close?” Han Geng heard a fake gasp from the other line but ignored it. He was one of the few who could get away with a lot with Heechul.
 
“By close, do you mean-”
 
“Heechul! By close, I mean together! You know what I mean! Are you?”
 
“Nope.” Heechul laughed evilly when he heard a quite growl of frustration from the other line. 
 
“Good.” 
 
“What do you mean 'good?'”
 
“What do you mean? Just that it's good you two aren't together, or anything.” Han Geng tried to cover the relief he may have shown with that one word.
 
“Han Geng. You sound possessive.”
 
“Hmm...Maybe I am. What of it, hmm?” Han Geng could play along.
 
“Let's get one thing straight. You are mine, Chinaman. We have all this on tape, you know. Even the fans know this. You, Han Geng, are mine. Not the other way around.”
 
Han Geng chuckled. Heechul hadn't changed one bit. 
 
“Alright.”
 
“Good. You need to remember that, Geng.” Heechul added to punctuate his previous declaration.
 
“I won't forget, Chul. I didn't forget, either.”
 
There was a thoughtful pause.
 
“I miss you, Han Geng.” Heechul said, all snarkiness and quirk gone from his voice. 
 
“I miss you too, Heechul.” 
 
It was times such as these that Han Geng wondered about his leaving SM, leaving Super Junior, leaving Heechul. However, one call to his snarky Korean reassured him that he never really left. Both entertainers slept peacefully that night; a sleep only talking to a loved one can create.