Chapter 1 - Meeting Them

What's Mine is Mine

Baekhyun's expression lit up as he met face to face with the door to his new dorm and he set down his suitcase, lightly knocking on the surface of the wood. He had never been more excited for a fresh start, especially after the fact that he had been accepted into his most favorite and honored university. A tinge of nervousness ran through his body as he stuck his thumbs into his pockets, slightly swaying from one foot to another until he was kindly allowed inside.

"Hey, Baekhyun! Welcome home!" Junmyeon smiled warmly, opening the door up all the way to unblock the entrance.

Baekhyun bowed thankfully, pulling the handle up from his suitcase and rolling it over to the loveseat located right beside the entrance. His eyes widened once he lifted his head to view the dorm, parting his lips in amazement at the incredibly organized space.

"It's a lot cleaner than I was expecting," He mumbled, though, he still continued to beam at the newly vacuumed carpet and the reflective countertops. "Do you guys hire someone?"

Junmyeon chuckled, patting him on the back. "Nope, that would be Minseok. He's a little OCD."

"Did someone say my name?" A small proportioned boy chirped as he entered the room.

Minseok stopped in his tracks at the sight of the new boy, all the emotions being wiped away from his face. "Oh, OH, you're here! Where are my manners?"

Baekhyun grinned as the elder fled over to his location, lightly bowing in honor of Baekhyun's presence. "Welcome, Baekhyun. Make yourself at home."

"You know, I live here now," The younger continued to smile as his eyebrow slightly raised, effortlessly earning Minseok's attention in return. "You don't have to be so formal. You're also older than me."

"Right, I know, It's a habit." Minseok giggled sheepishly. "As of right now, everyone is home except Chanyeol who's at the recording studio. Would you like to see the others?"

Baekhyun nodded frantically and the two other boys smiled at his enthusiasm, Minseok leading the way to the main recreational room where everyone else had been hanging out. The small group of three quietly entered the room and Baekhyun cowered as he was greeted with a sudden screech.

"EAT , JONGDAE! YOU'RE GOING DOWN!" Sehun hollered as he violently pounded on the console controller.

Jongdae's vocal chords released an ugly scream as no words could be made out from the noise, his body flailing backwards onto the floor as his side of the TV screen went black, a result of his virtual death.

"SHUT! THE! HELL! UP!" Kyungsoo whaled as he buried his head into Jongin's lap, covering his ears with two pillows.

"So... Is this an everyday thing?" Baekhyun held back his laughter, seeming genuinely amused at the chaotic group of five that he had just been introduced to.

Junmyeon chuckled nervously as he avoided eye contact. "Unfortunately-"

"What do you mean unfortunately?" The youngest of the three asked excitedly, his eyes lighting up at the amount of energy that had roamed through the air. "I didn't come here to be bored, when can I join?!"

"Oh god, no, not another one." Kyungsoo shuttered and his eye's met with Baekhyun's. "Listen to me, Baekhyun, this is nothing compared to when Chanyeol is present."

"Wait, is someone here?" Sehun asked attentively as he removed his headset, flicking his view towards the door behind him.

Baekhyun waved at the confused looking boy with an eye smile. "Hi, Sehunnie."

The youngest's eyes widened at the sight of the new roommate, running a hand through his distinctive auburn hair before letting out a small puff of air. His cheeks turned a light pink color, though, his facial expression contradicted his train in thought as his eyebrows gave him the look of being angry.

"Hi, Baekhyun." He cleared his throat. "I don't know how much of that you just encountered but let me just say, you're gonna get used to it." 

Jongdae cluelessly looked over at Player 2 who's body was facing the opposite direction of the television, gasping before instantly removing his headset and turning his body 180 degrees. His eyes traveled up and down while acknowledging Baekhyun's presence, his expression rather softening at the cute boy standing before him.

"Hey, Jongdae. That's your name, right?" Baekhyun cackled, finding pleasure in mocking the boys who were more than confused.

Jongdae snapped back into reality before clearing his throat, performing a small bow with a slight smile. "Uh, hey, Baekhyun! I'm sorry about...all of that-"

"Stop apologizing!" The older boy cut Jongdae off. "Is there room for a third player?"

"Yah, move so he can play." Sehun commanded as he nudged the smaller proportioned boy in the arm with his foot.

"What?! No!" Jongdae yelled and Sehun cringed at the high frequency of his voice. "Respect your elders!" 
 

Jongin joined the conversation as he transported his body closer to the front of the room, seating himself behind the two bean bags that Jongdae and Sehun sat upon.

"Maybe it's for the better that you play later, unless you want to listen to this for the rest of the night." He chuckled on behalf of Jongdae's unbearable whining.

Baekhyun nodded disappointedly, but he understood as the sound of Jongdae's voice at high pitches was more than eardrum-exploding. His vision turned towards a boy sleeping peacefully on the floor in the corner, and his confusion increased as he didn't know how someone could possibly sleep through all the noise.

"I-Is he dead?" Baekhyun asked with a tinge hilarity, pointing towards the comfortably curled up boy.

"Ah, no," Minseok chuckled. "He's just... Tired."

"Yixing works hard, many hours at a time. That's why he's like that." Junmyeon answered in a rather serious manner, walking towards a motionless Yixing and seating himself next to him, laying a hand on the sleeping boy's back.

Baekhyun's smile faded at the sudden change in mood, furrowing his eyebrows as he watched Junmyeon seemingly 'protect' Yixing. It was a rather cute gesture, and Baekhyun knew that. "Well, what does he do?"

"He works with music like Chanyeol, except he wants to make a career out of it instead of keeping it as a hobby. He spends hours at a time in the studio making songs, and on top of that, he has dance practice and other classes." Junmyeon answered once again. "He leaves at five in the morning and he only got back, like, an hour ago. What time is it?"

"It's 9:30." Jongdae replied, lowing his watch from his face.

Baekhyun stared at nothing in particular, making an 'O' shape with his lips.

"Yeah, I know. It's a lot. I've been trying to tell him it's too much." Junmyeon shook his head, gazing at the boy that laid beside him while gently rubbing his hand over Yixing's back. "I should probably just get him to his bed now, he won't be waking up anytime soon."

Baekhyun watched as Junmyeon lifted Yixing from the ground, holding him bridal style before exiting the room altogether with the boy in his arms. The sight of the two boys' relationship warmed Baekhyun's heart and he gushed as he watched Junmyeon disappear up the stairs while embracing the clearly larger male, Yixing's arms draping over the older's shoulders.

"He cares about Yixing a lot." Kyungsoo said genuinely, breaking the silence.

Baekhyun grinned slightly, trying his best to describe what he felt at that very moment. "That was really cute, actually. Are they a couple?"

"Surprisingly, no," Sehun answered. "Yixing says he doesn't like him like that, although he clearly does. And we've never really gotten an answer out of Junmyeon."

Baekhyun nodded slightly at that response, and he pursed his lips before a certain thought had come into his mind. "So am I, like, the only hetero here?"

"Yes." Jongin answered blindly, though, his eyes widened once he came into realization of what he had just been told. "Wait, you're straight?!"

"Yeah, what is with you guys? Is being straight an issue here?" Baekhyun asked in an annoyed manner while rolling his eyes, crossing his arms over his chest.

He waited for someone to answer his question as everyone avoided eye contact with him, the emotion completely being wipes away from their faces. Baekhyun didn't know what he had gotten himself into, and his heart raced as the thoughts of this household being something more than just a family made him sick to his stomach.

"Perhaps we're a little bothered by it." Jongdae said quietly, clasping his hands together while uneasily playing with his fingers. "I mean, you aren't all that ugly. You're adorable, actually. And you seem cheerful, you seem like the perfect addition to this dorm."

"He's got a point," Sehun spoke up. "And remember when I interviewed you? Remember when I asked you about slapping? Yeah, well, you should've got the memo back there."

"Sehun, what the hell?" Minseok asked with a frustrated puff of air.

Baekhyun looked down at his feet awkwardly, letting his mind go blank as he didn't know exactly what to say at this very moment. It had been confirmed that he made a mistake while signing up for the dorm room, however, he bit his lip as a question still seeped in the back of his mind.

"Let's be honest with each other. Raise your hand if you thought of me as more than just a new roommate when I introduced myself." He said sternly.

All but one of the boys raised their hand, the outlier remaining as Kyungsoo.

The smallest boy's expression became saddened as he furrowed his thick eyebrows in the direction of Jongin, letting out a disappointed 'oh' before looking back down at his lap.

"You too, Minseok?" Baekhyun asked with a pout. "I thought you'd be the mature one."

"I wasn't gonna go out of my way to steal your heart or anything, believe me. I thought you were cute though, just like the rest." Minseok answered honestly. "If it makes you feel any better, we decided you can stay in Chanyeol's room for the time being since he's not here right now. He's not here to argue with us."

"He's the only one I haven't met, though. It could be a hit or miss." Baekhyun continued to pout and Minseok laid a hand on his shoulder. "I don't even know what he's like. Is he nice? Fun? Not so straightforward like the rest of you?"

"I never realized you could be so shady. But yes, he's all of the things you mentioned. He's a great person and I promise you'll like him." Sehun answered Baekhyun's numerous questions.

"I call dibs on doing the rest of the tour!" Jongdae yelled suddenly and Baekhyun flinched. "I'll show you to Chanyeol's room so you can unpack."

"Has anyone ever told you you're loud?" Baekhyun laughed.

Jongdae laughed in return, nodding cutely. "All the time."

"Alrighty then. While you guys have fun on your tour, I'll be in my room rethinking my life choices." Kyungsoo answered with a flush of sadness in his voice, his body slowly and exhaustedly rising from the ground. "I don't want to be interrupted so try not to be loud. Also, Yixing is sleeping."

Jongin wrinkled his nose in confusion as he watched Kyungsoo exit the room sluggishly. "What's with him?"

"Not sure. Let's go, Baekhyun!" Jongdae cheered as he energetically grabbed the older's wrist, pulling him out of the recreational room and up the staircase.

Baekhyun pulled his hand away from Jongdae's grasp before staring attentively at the rooms that the two had passed by as they walked through the hallway. He looked closely into the rooms that had open doors, whereas the inside of them had been visible.

"Who's room is that?" Baekhyun asked with bright eyes, pointing in the direction of simple room with two small beds, covered in plaid bed sheets and walls plastered with BigBang and Red Velvet posters.

"That would be Sehun's and Junmyeon's," Jongdae shrugged. "Confident fanboys."

Baekhyun smiled at the cutely decorated room, staring at it indecisively before moving onto the rest of the tour. "Ah, I like it."

"And this is where you'll be staying." The younger male announced before opening the door to Chanyeol's room, enthusiastically allowing Baekhyun inside.

The older's head tilted backwards as he observed the entire bedroom, his heart beginning to race at the sight of colorful fairy lights bordering the square ceiling. Below the lights were posters of different animes and photos of Chanyeol at different points at time, and Baekhyun walked closer to the small photos to get a better view of the printed pictures. He squinted his eyes as he viewed a photo of Chanyeol with a girl.

"Who's this?" He asked quietly, gently resting his index finger on the photo.

Jongdae trotted in Baekhyun's direction in order to see the photo that had been mentioned and he sighed, answering the personal question. "That's Chanyeol's sister, Yoora. She's pretty, I know." 

"That wasn't why I was asking, I was just curious..." Baekhyun mumbled awkwardly, knowing very well that the other boy had jealous intentions. "It's getting late and I'm tired. I think I'm gonna go to sleep now, I'll see you guys in the morning."

The younger nodded understandably as he watched Baekhyun seat himself onto the bed, running a hand through his dirty blonde hair while using the other to turn the door knob. "I'll leave you alone, then. Goodnight."

The door clicked shut and Baekhyun took a sigh of relief, resting his forehead into his palms as a headache began to flow through the middle of his eyes and into the back of his neck. It was clear that his new stay was going to be an uncomfortable adventure, but he shook off that thought as he tried his hardest to internally change the subject. His eyes wandered around the room as he continued to observe the decor, and he weakly grinned as the sight of a guitar resting in a dark corner of the room caught his attention. He liked the idea of someone being able to play instruments.

He then unfolded his body onto the surface of the bed as his legs met with the black, wool comforter. The warm touch of the soft bed gave him the only comfort he had in this entire dorm and he closed his eyes, taking in the light scent of cologne that the bed had to offer. 

It was the start of a new life.