Final

SMA

“What’re you staring at?”

Joy looked to her side and saw Irene smiling at her fondly. Ahh – busted. No sense in hiding now then. “More like who am I staring at, unnie.”

The older girl doesn’t speak up, merely only following Joy’s gaze and watching as the person in question danced carelessly and cackled fearlessly, like she was having the time of her life. It was a refreshing scene to watch, especially for them who have been with her this past year. Joy took a step back and leaned into her small unnie’s space, the older girl immediately draping an arm around her shoulders. 

“I just never thought she’d smile like that again,” she whispered, her voice cracking a little. She’s surprised with how easy the words are coming to her, in the middle of an awards show with BTS playing in the background no less. “Last year… she was crying on that very same stage. I’ve never felt so powerless to help.”

Irene sighed, rubbing a hand up and down her arm comfortingly. She laughed a little, seeing the young girl lure an unsuspecting Seulgi to join in her ridiculous antics. "I always knew Yerim would be able to pick herself up eventually. She needed to grieve at her own pace. It’s just very unfortunate that our lives cannot afford for her to do have done that in private.”

Joy nodded silently, a little overwhelmed at the feeling of her chest tightening. “She withdrew so much of herself from us at the start of the year. I was scared she wo-“ 

“Take a deep breath, Sooyoung-ah,” Irene reminded her quietly. As if sensing her distress somehow, Yerim also looked to her side and did a little wiggle dance at her, smiling brightly before dancing once again with Seulgi and Wendy.

Joy continued. “–would leave. And it was the worst scenario that could have happened because I can’t remember what idol life was like without her, unnie.”

Irene Joy’s hair affectionately. “Luckily, you won’t have to. Yerim is here to stay, Sooyoung.”

“Yeah, you’re right,” she hummed, shooting Yeri a big smile as the girl beckoned for her to come over. “I’m going to make sure she stays forever.”

Irene watched as her two youngest members gravitated towards each other. It hadn’t been an easy year but Red Velvet, with its 5 members, were here now. They were winning awards. They were laughing. Everyone was doing well. Not bad, 2019, not bad at all.