Tears

Paint Me Our Picture
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Solji really didn't know what she was getting herself into. She thought she did, but now, an hour into modelling, she wishes nothing more to snap both her and the artist's neck off.

 

"Sorry, can you have a more relaxed expression? The scowl doesn't exactly look very attractive."

 

Solji was about to lash out at her, but upon remembering why she was doing all this, she drew a breath in and closed her eyes before returning her gaze back to the weird 75-degree angle that had been requested. It seemed to have pleased the artist as Solji could hear a few hums of satisfaction.

 

"Hani?" Solji asked, her voice coated with exhaustion.

 

"Yes?" came the reply, Hani not having even bothered to look up from her canvas.

 

"How much longer till I have to leave soo-"

 

"I'll pay double for another half hour," Hani responded sharply, cutting of Solji and angering her further.

 

It was an offer Solji wanted to take, for the girl was already paying her a lot and double that would have covered the money for the whole shift of the next job she had to make. However, if she comes late or doesn't show up, there are chances of her losing it, and Solji really needs the extra cash.

 

"Look, I need to go. I can come back another time this week, or you can just wait till our next session but I cannot stay any longer."

 

Hani seemed to have gotten the point through her strict tone and stood up, placing her paints on her seat. She walked to Solji, who suddenly felt vulnerable considering their work status, and that fact she was clothed in nothing but an extremely oversized shirt. It took every strain of willpower inside her not to gulp, for she didn't want Hani to realise how nervous she really was.

 

Hani reached down into the pockets of her pants, paints and inks splattered all over the once plain black fabric. Solji didn't want to say anything, but it did look like its own piece of art in a way. She watched as Hani took out a wad of cash, grabbing Solji's own hand and placing it in.

 

"$65. If you come this Sunday, 2pm till 4, I'll make it $140 for the total time."

 

Solji mentally recalled all her schedules for that day before nodding her head.

 

"Deal."

 

Hani gave a fake polite smile and turned herself around back to her seat.

 

"You know what to do."

 

Solji muttered her thanks and bowed, still maintaining some etiquette despite being the older. She flipped through the notes in her hand, counting all the bills even if Hani has shown a clean record the past 7 months or so since she took this job up. She exited the studio and walked through the hall, realising how much colder it was. Shivering, she hurried her way to the spare room where Hani would always ask her to change into whatever article of clothing she's been given, whether it be an elegant ball gown or what she was wearing right now, a large white t-shirt.

 

She took the shirt off, pulling the fabric over her head and laid it neatly on the bed, but without folding it. Quickly, she grabbed her shirt and sweater and the jeans laying on the chair where she had previously placed them. She felt a lot warmer, now actually wearing pants and something that covered her arms. It wasn't always like this. In the early days, Solji sometimes may not have even needed to change, or if she did, it would be something as casual, maybe a dress or a different pair of shorts but 3 months in, Hani had made more unusual orders. At first, Solji declined which was very bold of her considering modelling for Hani was one of her easiest and better-earning jobs. Luckily for her, all Hani did was let out an exasperated sigh and offered a raise of an extra 7 an hour, something that the practical side of Solji really couldn't refuse.

 

She opened the apartment door and stepped out, adding ‘2-4pm, Hani Sunday' to her phone's calendar.

 

____________________

 

"AHN HEEYEON!"

 

Hani groaned at her full name, recognising the voice from miles away.

 

"What do you want?"

 

"Yah! Is that any way to speak to your unnie?"

 

Hani unwillingly looked up the meet her sister who was leaning against the door frame, clad in some retro-themed clothes that Hani just couldn't be bothered to try identify. She probably stole some from her own closet, but she didn't really care.

 

"Sorry, Hyojin unnie," she mocked, dragging out the last syllable knowing how much she hated her real name and that tone.

 

Hani laughed as she watched Hyojin's face scrunch up in displeasure, before realising something was off.

 

"Wait a minute, why are you even in my studio? How did you get in?"

 

"Geez, I'm feeling so welcomed,' Hyojin said, walking closer to Hani. "Your girlfriend over there let me in."

 

Hani scoffed, rolling her eyes as she lifted up her brush again.

 

"She's anything but my girlfriend."

 

"What, your ‘true love'?" Hyojin teased.

 

Hani pretended to puke much to Hyojin's amusement.

 

"Oh please, I've seen the way you look at her."

 

"Yeah with immense hatred."

 

Hani heard a mocking laugh from behind, irritating her.

 

"Even if you deny it, you can't say you haven't been paying her way more than the rest of your models. Which may I add, only comes once a month and there's only two of them."

 

Hani tried her best to ignore her older sister as she squeezed the tube of orange into her pallet, mixing it with the white to recreate the colour she had for Solji's hair.

 

"I pay her more because she comes often. Besides, she does things that my other models wouldn't."

 

"Yeah, sure your art of her does look noticeably better than ones of others but I think that's your own personal touch. And one and a half, almost double so I've heard, compared to the other 2? Isn't that a lot?"

 

Hani gripped her brush harder, placing it down in order not to ruin the progress she had made. Turning around to meet Hyojin's eyes, she spoke.

 

"Did you really come here just to make fun of me?"

 

Hyojin smirked, knowing that she'd won and Hani had nothing else to say on the topic.

 

"Actually I was wondering if you'd like to head down to the art museum with me this Sunday. I've heard they have new exhibitions from the renaissance period."

 

"Can't, I've got a session."

 

"And you're still telling me you don't like her."

 

Hani didn't have to face her to know she was shaking her head.

 

"Fine, how about the Sunday after?"

 

"Sure."

 

Hyojin smiled, ruffling Hani's hair as she left the room.

 

"Oh, and by the way," she said, her head peeping from the side of the door frame. "Solji is pretty hot, you should ask her out before someone else does."

 

Hani glared at her sister, glad that she'd left so she could focus on her piece. She picked up her smallest brush and started to add the highlights to her model's eyes, her face lingering at the back of her mind as the only reference picture she has.

 

______________

 

So

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter