the gift • part one

the gift • a faerie tale • jeno x jaemin x renjun

 

 

This was it. The moment he’d been building up to for two years. Actually, the moment he’d been building up to for ten years, but who’s counting anyway?

 

Jaemin stood outside the arts building in the cold evening breeze. The moon overhead was bright but hidden behind a veil of thin cloud giving the sky a cool indigo glow. It was Valentine’s Day, he had the small cluster of roses in his hands, their blush matching the fire in his cheeks. He shifted from one foot to the other as he held his simple gift and waited for Jeno to finish his art history class and his mind went over and over the upcoming possibilities.

 

Jeno

 

His best friend. His constant companion. Two boys had grown up into two men but nothing else had changed between them. They had always been close. Incredibly close. So close that the boundaries of friendship and love were blurred into a rose coloured hue of comforting feelings. They’d shared everything in the last ten years of their friendship, from triumphs on the soccer field, to first girlfriends and first break ups, birthdays and holidays and graduation. Every memory Jaemin carried in his heart was tinted with the watercolour wash of his friendship with Jeno. And it was finally time. He knew he was taking a risk but surely he couldn’t be misreading the signs so wrong?

 

Jaemin’s first girlfriend was his last. It hadn’t taken long for him to realise that no girl could ever shine in his eyes the way his best friend did. He didn’t want long soft hair and girlish giggles, soft cheeks and perfumed kisses. Jaemin wanted strong arms and stubbled jawlines, deep morning voices and rough robust embraces. He wanted his best friend.

 

And when they started University, and Jeno’s dates with girls became fewer and more far between, their companionship became cosier. No one could come between them. They shared most of their classes, they shared their lunchtimes outside the arts wing in the sun, they shared study in the library and breaks in the campus café. They shared everything but a home, Jeno living with his parents near the university, Jaemin in the dorms. Everything else was a blend of him and I, who was who, where Jaemin stopped and Jeno started no one was sure anymore.

 

Jaemin knew they were soulmates.

 

He could feel it in the air when they sat together, he could hear it when they finished each other’s sentences, he could see it in the sparkle of Jeno’s deep dark eyes that vanished into crescents when he smiled. Jeno’s smile was enough to get lost in, it was Jaemin’s salvation and his destruction, his redemption and his penance. Because in that smile was the uncertainty that had all but faded.

 

 

“Hi Jeno!” Jaemin smiled brightly when he saw his best friend walking towards him. His dark hair sat shiny against his forehead and his eyes were shaped into perfect moons as his smile lit up his face. “Hi Nana..” he said as he reached out and ruffled Jaemin’s freshly coloured rose hued hair. It was as pink as his cheeks and the small bouquet of short stemmed rosebuds he carried so carefully. 

 

Jeno eyed the flowers and Jaemin’s fresh appearance. “Do you have a date later or something?” he asked and Jaemin flushed. “Ah, no, these are for you.” He them forward into Jeno’s suddenly full hands. “Happy Valentine’s day.” Jeno eyed them curiously before smiling again. “Cute. Thanks Nana.” He went to start walking but Jaemin pulled him back by the shirt. “Actually that’s not all I wanted to say. I, ah…” he started at his feet before looking back up into the perfect milky skin of his best friend’s face. “I guess this is my confession Jeno. I think I’m in love with you.” His voice trembled as he repeated himself with more sincerity. “I’m in love with you.”

 

The shattered petals on the concrete reflected a perfect image of Jaemin’s shattered heart. “I.. I c-can’t do this Jaemin…” Jeno stuttered out in shock as he began to shake. “I’m sorry. I just don’t feel the same way.” Tears filled Jaemin’s eyes as his hands began to shake as well. The nice boy inside wanted to squat and gather the flower petals, clean up the mess, piece together the shattered shards of rose coloured perfection. “Really?” he said as his voice wavered. “I’m sorry Nana. I just don’t.”

 

Jaemin sank to the ground as Jeno took off and left him. He sat on the cold concrete in a velveteen bed of smashed hopes and dreams in quickly browning hues of peach and pink and white. How could he have read the signs so wrong?

 

All the smiles and soft looks, the hugs and hand holding, the held breath in close proximity when stars shone in their eyes and the world seemed to stand still. Was none of it real?

 

As he blinked his tears away and let his eyes drink in the deep dark night sky he sighed heavily. A huge shooting star flew across the sable horizon right at that moment and Jaemin made a wish with all the love in his broken heart.

 

“I wish Jeno loved me in the way I want him to. The way I love him. I wish his heart was mine.”

 

He gathered his things and walked away leaving the scattered pink petals of his simple gift behind.

 

 

 

 

    

 

 

 

“Kun...” the prince of the faeries looked around for his first knight and found him just to the side of the oaken throne he sat. “Yes my Prince?” the golden blond faerie knelt at the foot of the throne of his liege. “I have a special job and I need just the right faerie to complete it. A wish has been made by a human, a human with a sweet and pure heart, and I’m in a good mood today.” It was Valentine’s Day, one of the special days where the veil between the human and fae worlds was thin, where the magic of love flowed stronger and  fiercer through the air of the human world.

 

He smiled down at the knight who smiled back at him. “Someone strong? Should I get Yukhei?” the Prince shook his head. “No, strength won’t work for this task, it’s going to need a particular personality, and I know just the fae.” The prince smirked a little as he shifted on his seat. “Bring me little Renjun.”

 

“Renjun? The orphan? Are you sure?” The knight called Kun wasn’t sure why the prince wanted this particular faerie. “He’s young and tempestuous my prince. He’s a little highly strung and suffers from a bad attitude.” Kun sighed heavily. “He lacks social skills and has no manners.” The young ones could be so difficult, especially while they were maturing, and Renjun was yet to get his wings. Something was holding him back and it was making the young faerie sullen and sarcastic and upsettingly snappy.

 

“That’s why I want it to be him. He suffers from many things. It will be an atonement for his struggles and I think it will help.” The beautiful crown prince smiled and Kun trusted his judgement. “I’ll fetch him at once.”

 

The white and gold armour the knight work clanked musically as he wandered the huge oak tree that was the home of this clan of fae. He found another young one, this one was loud but clever and charming, and already possessed an impressive set of opalescent wings. “Chenle. Where is Renjun?” The young faerie laughed loudly as he flew up and off the branch. “Poor Renjun. He’s sulking again! He won’t even come out to eat!” He pointed to a thicket of leaves and Kun stride towards them and pushed the enormous leaves aside. 

 

The cool dark thicket was dappled with light as the leaves moved with the wind and Kun saw the little faerie huddled in a corner. “Come out...” He cooed softly and held out his hand. “No...” the strawberry blonde fairy with exceptionally pointed ears shied away further into the corner. “They’re teasing me because I can’t fly.” Kun could barely see him as he curled up in a little ball of anger and fear at the sight of the beautiful white and gold faerie warrior. “I’m in trouble again aren’t I?” Renun said rudely as he scowled at Kun. The little faerie knew that having the handsome knight looking for him wasn’t good and he wondered if Kun knew he had thrown an acorn right at Chenle’s head.

 

“No honey you aren’t in trouble...” the knight summoned all his patience as he crouched down and reached out again. “Prince Sicheng has a special task and he says you are the only one.” “Me?” Renjun moved towards Kun’s outstretched hand a little but his face remained skeptical. “Are you sure he asked for me?” Kun nodded and took the delicate little faerie’s hand and pulled him out of he shadows.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kun chuckled a little as he sat on a rock and watched the grumpy little faerie stuff bites of the huge berry into his mouth while he sat in the little puddle of water.

 

Renjun had been a foundling, no one knew where he came from, he was found inside a dandelion when he was just a baby. The clan had welcomed him and taken care of him but he’d always remained somewhat of an outsider. Especially as he grew older and didn’t have answers to the questions other young fae had answered by their families. What kind of powers would he have? What colour would his wings be? He had no blood kin to guide him in the right direction to find the path he had to walk.

 

Kun waited while he filled his hungry belly and then dunked his head under the water to clean himself up. When he climbed out of the puddle his hair locks were stuck to his forehead and his olive green tunic looked even dirtier than before.

 

“Come on little fae...” Kun said as he held his hand. “Time to meet the Prince.” He gripped Renjun hand tight and flew to the top of the oak on strong golden wings with the young faerie trailing behind him.

 

When Renjun saw the Crown Prince he was overwhelmed with emotion. He was so ethereal, so absolutely beautiful, that all

Renjun could do was kneel on the ground in front of him. “Get up my love...” Prince Sicheng said quietly. He always had a soft spot for the fair haired faerie who was right on the balance between childhood and adulthood. He sensed greatness in the young fae and knew that he just needed a trial. Something to force him to become the wonder he was always meant to be.

 

“I have a special job for you.” Prince Sicheng said as he beckoned Renjun closer. “You will have to go into the human world to grant a wish. A sweet human with a kind and pure heart has been hurt. He need someone’s help to bring him together with his soulmate.”

 

“And what makes you think I can do this?” Renjun asked with wide eyes and Prince Sicheng nodded. “I know you can Renjun. You have love and kindness inside you waiting to be unlocked. Just try to be nice when you get to the human world.” He held his hand out and when Renjun took it he felt warm all over. He looked down and saw that his ratty tunic had turned into strange human clothing. “Time to go!” Prince Sicheng said and Renjun began to panic. “Now?” He said as he began to back away but Prince Sicheng just nodded. “Yes. Now. He needs you now Renjun, he’s sad and alone, he needs someone to take care of him. You have until sunset on the second day. Got it?”

 

And with that last piece of advice Prince Sicheng clicked his fingers and Renjun was gone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

Jaemin tossed and turned in his bed. He felt hot and thirsty, he’d come home to his dorm and found half a bottle of vodka in the kitchen, and downed enough to make himself sleep. His phone said 4:43 am and dawn was still a little way off and he tried to will himself back into the comfort of unknowing darkness. He groaned when he realised he needed the toilet and sleep wasn’t returning until he went. 

 

When Jaemin tried to stand be almost fell. The combination of alcohol and drowsiness in his system was heady and disorienting and he almost fell into the wall a few times. He went to the toilet and returned to his bed and sat while he thought over the evenings events.

 

How could he have gotten it so wrong?

 

He ran his hands through his rose hued hair and tears filled his eyes again. Worse than the sting of rejection was the prospect of facing the unknown. How could he stay in Jeno’s life now? Would things ever be the same? He had not only lost his love he had also lost his best friend.

 

A tiny little light flew past his closed eyes leaving a burning white trail inside his eyelids. He rubbed them open and blinked a few times as he stared at the desk in the corner. A tiny glow, a ball of light, a burning white-blue energy sat on the desk. It’s energy ebbed and flowed and pulsed and Jaemin stared at it in shock.

 

Jaemin had heard of fireflies but never seen one in real life. They didn’t exist where he lived. But what else could it be? He moved closer and reached out a hand as he was drawn mesmerised by its soft blue glow. “Don’t touch me!” A tiny voice snapped and jaemin gasped and pulled his hand back. Was he still drunk or was he dreaming? He stared

at the tiny glowing ball and looked closer. In the centre of the glow was a figure, human like but small, and he moved his face a little closer. 

 

“I said back off!” The creature, whatever it was, was grumpy and Jaemin moved back. “. I must be losing my mind...” Jaemin ran his fingers through his rose hued hair and fell back on his bed. He felt desperately overwhelmed, his sadness and confusion muddling his mind, his thoughts all over the place. He sniffed back a few tears as he lay flat on the bed.

 

Renjun curled up into a ball on the desk. He was terrifying, the huge loud creature that tried to reach out for him, but then he heard a strange sound. Something twisted inside his stomach when he realised it was the heart aching sound of the human man crying.

 

Renjun understood pain. He understood loneliness and longing and the urge to seek comfort. Whatever this scary giant creature was going through Renjun suddenly realised why the prince had chosen him for this task.

 

Empathy.

 

He uncurled himself and stretched his limbs. The air was strange in the human world and it made his magic more palpable in the air. He stared at the glow surrounding his body and marvelled at the light. He didn’t glow in the fae world and he wondered what else he could do here. 

 

All he wanted to do was fly but he didn’t have his wings.

 

Instead he ran across the desk and climbed down the side. He quickly moved across the thick carpet and climbed up the sheet hanging down the side of the bed. He might not be able to fly but tree dwelling without wings had given Renjun excellent climbing skills.

 

“Are you okay?” He asked the human but he didn’t seem to hear him. He didn’t look so scary now that Renjun was closer. His hair was pink like a faerie and his eyes were soft and beautiful. Renjun moved a little closer and the man, or boy - he wasn’t quite sure - squinted his eyes shut against the sudden onslaught of Renjuns bright blue glow. He stared at the thick lashes resting on the humans cheeks before moving even closer again. “I SAID ARE YOU OKAY?” He yelled and the human sat up and rubbed his eyes. “Did you just speak?” He ran his hands through his hair and shifted in the bed.

 

Renjun sighed. This wasn’t working. He thought of how to make it easier and suddenly it came to him. He stood up on the soft strange surface of the human bed and closed his eyes. He scrunched his nose and willed all his magic to behave while he wove an imagination of himself human sized. He concentrated and suddenly it happened. He was big.

 

 

Jaemin jumped back in shock. Things were going from strange to worse. The ball of light that had yelled at him was gone and in its place was a boy on his bed. He looked around Jaemin’s age but slightly smaller, his hair a soft gold, his eyes dark and beautiful. His features were fine and delicate and stunningly otherworldly. And to top it off he sported a pair of pointed and upturned ears.

 

Jaemin stared at the boy that had suddenly appeared in his bed. Besides the ears he looked like any other teenager you would find around the university campus. 

 

Besides the fact that he was stunningly beautiful.

 

“What are you?” Jaemin murmured as he stared at the boy’s face. “Are you some kind of elf?” The creature snorted and scoffed as if Jaemin had just said the most ridiculous thing ever. “An elf. Yeah right. Is it Christmas? Do you see snow?”

 

Jaemin couldn’t help but smile at the creature’s sarcastic attitude. “Well what are you then?” He asked and the smile the other gave in reply was stunning. “I’m a faerie of course. Isn’t that obvious?” Jaemin looked at him with curiosity. “Where are your wings?”

 

“Rude.” The creature jumped up off the bed and scowled with his hands on his hips. “That’s none of your business.” He said with fire flashing in his eyes and Jaemin laughed. “Okay okay calm down. Well why are you here?” 

 

“You made a wish and my prince heard you. Because your heart is pure and kind the Prince of the Fae Kingdom had granted your wish.”

 

Renjun looked at the boys incredulous expression. “That’s me. Renjun. I’m here to help you connect with your soulmate.”

 

He frowned when he saw Jaemin’s expression drop. “I, Ah, I’m not sure yet how I’m going to help you. But I will try.” Renjun moved back onto the bed and when Jaemin began to cry again he wrapped his arms around the pink haired boy. He held him while he cried himself to sleep and when Jaemin had finally tired himself out Renjun watched him sleep. He stretched his legs out on the soft cool sheets unlike anything he’d ever felt and he soft rose coloured strands away from Jaemin’s damp cheeks. He stared at the sweet boy’s gentle sleeping face and he knew Prince Sicheng had been right. Jaemin’s heart was pure and kind and Renjun didn’t know how anyone could break it.

 

 

He had to help him. He just didn’t know how.