Rainbow after the storm

Rainbow after the storm
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Baby. Have you seen my black tie?" Jongin called from the walk in closet that was connected to their master bathroom. He knew Krystal was still doing her morning makeup, judging the silent hum of her favorite song.

 

After graduating college, Jongin already asked Krystal to move in to the apartment he purchased the moment he got his parents' graduation money. They've been together since they were in their first year of high school and their parents had no complaints about that. Four years and counting, of living together, marriage was the only thing lacking. Sooner or later, he was already planning on proposing to her.

 

"You have like 10 black ties Jongin." She hollered back. And he could easily tell she rolled her eyes.

"The one Hyuna noona gave me last Christmas." He specified, rummaging through his tie drawer.

"I laid it out last night. Beside your coat baby." She directed and his eyes diverted over to the mini couch that was inside. And there he found what he was looking for.

"I don't even know what I'll do without you." He gave her a peck on the cheek as he walked back to the main bathroom area where Krystal was checking her reflection on the mirror.

Jung Soojung or Krystal as she preferred, was the most perfect girl any man could ask for. She's got the beauty, the brain and a very nice heart. And she was his.  They have been through a lot and no one or nothing could even come between them anymore. 

"Probably be a bum and a lonely man." She cheekily told him, grinning.

"I know."

"And you probably won't allow that to happen cause you love me so much." He winked at her with confidence, proceeding with getting ready for the day.



 

"I'll pick you up at lunch later. I made reservations at the usual." He reminded her as he parked his car across the building where she worked as a fashion magazine editor.

"Alright. I'll see you later then." She said as she was about to push the car door open but got stopped by him.

"Why?" She blinked in confusion, looking at him.

"You forgot something." He faked a pout, pointing at his lips. She ended up chuckling, but leaned in nonetheless to place a kiss on his pursed lips.

"Better." He grinned. "I love you baby." He added, winking at her.

"I love you too. I'll see you later." She bid him a quick goodbye and hopped out of the car. After making sure she was safely inside the building, he then sped off.


 

It was still the same scenario at the hospital where he worked as a doctor. Patients being rushed in, families and relatives worrying for the sake of their loved ones who were fighting for their lives, and the gloomy atmosphere. But he was used to it.

 

"Any plans tonight?" His best friend, Oh Sehun, asked upon entering his office. He was his childhood best friend, and a work colleague as well. They ended up having the same passion, and there they are. Stuck with one another.

"Yeah. I'm taking Krystal out." He smiled, just thinking of how everything will end up after tonight.

"You've got that creepy smile on your face. What's up?" The guy in front of him asked, raising an eyebrow.

Instead of answering, he took a small box out of his coat pocket. Sehun, who looked puzzled out, took the box from him and opened it himself.

Inside was a white gold band, with a princess cut diamond, glimmering against the hospital light.

"No ing way."

"I'm going to propose. Later, at lunch." He grinned, a proud smile rather on his face. A huge smile broke from his bestfriend's lips, reaching out to fist bump with him.

"About time man." Sehun shook his head slightly, probably still trying to wrap his head aroud the idea.

He's been thinking of doing it for months now and today was just the perfect timing. Honestly, he couldn't wait for it. He couldn't wait to see the look on her face, how she would react. He could already picture her tears of joy, her perfect smile.

"We should celebrate after this." Sehun suggested, which he knew was a good idea.

After a few more minutes of talking about his plan, Sehun then left to attend to his patients while he was left there smiling like an idiot. He was too excited of what's bound to happen.


 

"I'll pick you up in a few minutes babe. I love you." He ended the voicemail and sighed. He tried calling Krystal for three times now and she hasn't been answering his calls. Which was unusual.

It was 10 minutes before lunch and he was already out of his office. He was too busy typing a message for her that he barely heard Sehun who was shouting his name. Turning around, he saw his bestfriend rushing over to him with a dead serious look on his face.

He had no idea why but he felt something weird in the pit of his stomach. Like something was wrong, judging the look on Sehun's face. But he pushed it away.

"Man. I gotta go. I have to pick up Krystal." He told him once he was just a meter away from him.

"You have to come with me. This is urgent." Sehun reasoned out but he firmly declined. He can't keep Krystal waiting. Especially his reservation.

"No. You need to see this. You need to come with me." His bestfriend sternly told him, making him frown. What was it that it's even more important than his proposal?

"Sehun. I don't have time for this. Krystal's waiting." He was running out of patience, and even Sehun.

"Don't be so ing stubborn Kim Jongin and just come with me!" It was rare for Sehun to raise his voice and that actually scared him.

"You know something important is waiting for me. Can't this wait till later? I need to go. I can't let Krystal wait for too long." He tried to reason out again, hopinf Sehun will understand.

"Krystal isn't waiting for you! She's ing dying in the emergency room!"

Sehun's voice seemed to fade as his mind digested every word he said.

Krystal.

 

Dying.

 

Emergency room.

 

He broke into a run, not even minding Sehun who was calling behind him.

 

He needed to see Krystal.

 

He needs to make sure she's okay.

 

He needs to see it for himself.

 

She needed him there.

 

And he almost lost it when the emergency room unfolded right in front of his eyes.

 

No. This can't be happening.

 

Jung Soojung was lying on a hospital bed, bloody and lifeless. Her eyes were closed, an oxygen mask on her face as doctors were surrounding her. There were wounds and bruises on her arms, her face also covered in flesh gashes.

"Krystal!" He screamed, running to her side that he almost pushed Daeun, Sehun's wife and his colleageu as well, out of the way.

He carefully grabbed her hand, her skin cold that it scared him even more. She looked so lifeless, colors leaving her face. His heart was thumping hard against his chest, as he looked at her.

This can't be happening. No. Not to his Krystal.

"Baby. Wake up. Please." He pleaded, his voice shaking. But she remained still. There were no responses coming from her. 

"Jongin. We need to wheel her in now. She's gonna lose too much blood." Daeun gently told him, asking him to step out of the way. But before he did, he pleaded her. Pleaded her to do her best to save her.

"Dani. Help her. Please." He begged, a tear escaping his eye. Daenun was looking at him with strong will and he knew she will do her best. But it didn't give him any comfort.

Helplessly, he watched them bring her in the operating room.

And just like that, he felt his world was crumbling down. The girl he loved was in the verge of leaving him. Alone and forever.

He wasn't ready for that.

The blood on his hands were making him weak. Because it was her own blood. And it was staining his hands. It was scaring him even more. Scaring him that he also felt like dying.

"Jongin." He felt a hand on his shoulder and he met eyes with Sehun. His friend was looking sympathetically at him, then nodded towards the direction of where police officers were.

"Are you a relative of the patient?" One of them asked him and he nodded.

"Miss Jung was crossing the street when a car hit her. The driver was reported as drunk and he's already under police custody. For further details, you can just give us a call. We understand you'd keep your attention on her first." He informed him, handing him a card.

"I'll have my lawyer call you." Was all he could say then turned his back on them. Sehun was still behind him, the two of them silently making their way to the OR.

He wanted to know her condition right away. He wanted to make sure she's doing okay.

How can this happen when they're about to celebrate something so important? Why now when they will be taking a huge step forward for their relationship? Why does it have to be Krystal?

 

"Jongin." Sehun called him and he barely paid attention. His focus was on the double door, anticipating Dani to come out anytime soon.

"I'm sorry man." He only nodded. No words were coming out of his lips. He couldn't comprehend of the things he wanted to say. There was nothing else in his head but Krystal. The love of his life.

His life.

"I'm supposed to propose. I was going to ask her to marry me." He said out of nowhere, his eyesight getting blurry. And he's not afraid to show his tears. Not when the love of his life was fighting for her own life.

She was his weakness and his strength. Krystal Jung brings out his every emotion. Only her can make him feel invincible and at the same time, helpless. She was his rock. The only reason why he’s fighting continuously to become the better version of himself.

But she was inside the same room where he'd been thousand of times, watching people fight death. Some survived, while some was unfortunate. And she will be one of them too.

"She will be better. Dr. Lee is in there, and Dani, making sure she will be okay." He comforted him but that didn't lessen what he was feeling.

Now he knew how it feels. Before, he was just watching families of patients wait and tear up for either good or bad news. He could feel his heart slowly breaking. Like them, he was holding on to a thin thread of hope.

But he would wait.

 

One hour. Two hours. Four hours. He lost count. The blood on his hands has dried out already. But he stood there, unmoving as he stare at the door, waiting for anyone to come out. He was on the verge of going crazy. It was a very long wait.

And finally, Dani came out.

"How is she?" Were the first question.

"Two broken ribs, a hairline crack on the left side of her skull and bruises. But she's stable now." Hearing that lifted the weight off his shoulders but she wasn't done.

"I don't know if I should tell you about this, but she's pregnant Jongin. And your baby made it. It was a miracle." The news brought him hope again. And shock.

She was pregnant. And the baby inside her survived.

He was almost rejoicing only to have his heart dropping again.

 

"But she's in coma right now."



 

"Baby. I know you can hear me." Krystal laid asleep on the white hospital bed, an oxygen mask on her face, a bandage wrapped around her head and wires connected to her body. She looked peaceful and serene. If it wasn't for the bruises and wounds covering her face, he would think she's just sleeping.

But he needs to face reality. She wasn't.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry I wasn't there to save you." His voice broke but he couldn't care less. He wanted to pour his heart out to her. Despite her state, he was sure she could hear him.

"Your wish finally came true. You're pregnant babe. And our baby made it." He whispered, his eyes lingering on her face. He would do everything and anything just to have her finally wake up. It was getting harder for him to watch her in that state as every minute go by.

It wasn't only him who needed her. The baby growing inside of her needed her most. Their baby was also fighting with Krystal, and how he could only wish she would be able to feel it.

"You need to wake up now babe. I still haven't done my proposal. I was going to ask you to marry me today. How can I propose when you're asleep? How can we celebrate?" He was trying to be strong. But till when can he fake it?

"Krystal. I need you to wake up. Wake up for me. And for our baby. Please." He broke down into sobs, his shoulders shaking as he kept on pleading her as if he could be heard by her. But she remained immobile, lifeless. Only the soft beeping sounds of the machine was heard.

It was only a few hours ago when he last heard her laugh, tell him she loved him and felt her soft lips against his. It was just hours ago, and she was still awake. Funny how a few hours made a huge damage on his life. His world was turned upside down. He was barely hanging on.

But among everyone, he knew he needed to be the strongest of all. Because he believed she would wake up soon. And their wish of a happy family will be granted.


 

Day 5


 

Five days. And still no sign of her waking up. Jongin remained by her side, patiently waiting for her to finally open her eyes. And every day, he would end up disappointed.

According to the doctors, nothing was really progressing. She was in a deep sleep, her body slowly healing itself in the process. That, at least was a good news. And the baby also, being healthy inside her.

But it was still not enough. He needed her alive, smiling at him and telling him she will stay with him.

"Baekhyun and Chanyeol hyung dropped by earlier babe. They said you have to wake up soon or you'll miss Chanyeol hyung's fashion show." He softly told her, as if she was awake. Before, everytime before they go to bed, they would talk about their day. What made it and what didn't.

There were a lot of things that he was unusual with. But waking up in the morning and sleeping at night were the hardest for him. He was alone. And what's making it worse, is how every corner of their apartment reminds him of Krystal. Everywhere he looks, all he could see was her.

How she looked beautiful, laughing like there's no tomorrow; the way she concentrates while baking a new recipe she found online; how adorable she looked as she would complain about how tiring her day was.

He missed her so bad. Seeing her as she sleeps into coma was way too different from seeing her, awake and alive. She was there but it was hard to feel. He could physically hold her but he was craving to hear her voice again, and just feel her warmth against him.

"Our baby's very strong, you know. He fought hard and stayed still inside you." He went on, talking.

According to Krystal's attending physician, she was 7 weeks pregnant already. And despite what happened, the baby remained strong inside her womb.

Funny how he wasn't able to tell it himself that his girlfriend was pregnant. To think he's even a doctor, and he should've noticed the symptoms. If he'd only known earlier, he could've done something to prevent this from something.

"I know you could do the same babe. I know you will fight hard as well. For him, for me, and for us." His words were soft as whisper, his fingers gently caressing her cold cheek. He couldn't imagine going on with his life without Krystal by his side. Especially now that their love has bloomed into a beautiful blessing. And that's their son.



Day 15

 

Jongin was going crazy. He can't focus on anything else but Krystal. It's like he had forgotten about everything. His mind would always drift back to her whenever he's on duty. And his daily routine was damaged. Severely damaged.

He had requested to go on night shift, only to be able to be closer to Krystal. And during daytime, he would spend it inside her room. He barely sleep ever since that tragic incident happened. The hospital room she was in became his second home already. He would only go back to their apartment just to pick up clothes and nothing else. Because he can't stand being too far away from the hospital now. A minute apart from Krystal felt like an eternity for him.

His hopes were still up, waiting for Krystal to finally wake up from her long sleep. He would just stare at her, wait for her eyes to flutter open. Or even just for tiny movements. But none was granted to him. She remained asleep. Unmoving, silent and cold as ice.

But he knew he can't just give up like that. The tiny human living in Krystal's body was able to survive, why can't he? He knows to himself, even Krystal won't give up easily.

"Hi babe." He carefully placed the bouquet of white roses on the bed side table before taking his usual spot beside her. It was one of the things he missed the most. Those random days he would bring Krystal flowers just because he wants to. And he would always be answered by her heart stopping smile.


 

Flashback. . . .

It was an ordinary day for Krystal. Their professors throwing pop quiz here and there, college requirements overflowing and their exams coming here. An ordinary school day for a college student.

Math doesn't even have anything to do with fashion!

She sighed for the umpteenth time that day, running a hand against her hair as she closed the sketchbook laid out in front of her. It was just a little after 4 and Jongin must be on his way soon. It was a normal thing for the two of them to wait for each other, every day at the university.

Just because of Jongin being too overprotective. Ever since he got his driver's license and new car, he had never let her ride the bus home or walk, unless he was with her. And everyday, he would drive her home, regardless of his schedule or hers.

Taking a glance at her phone, she sighed again seeing no response from him or either their friends. But that didn't really bother her.

Little did she know, a pair of eyes had been studying her carefully for minutes now. An amused smile on the guy's face, seeing her face turn into a frown as she remembered how tiring her day was.

"Is there anything I can do to make my baby smile?" A smooch was placed on her cheek before Jongin has occupied the seat beside hers. And a long stemmed white rose soon made its appearance, Jongin placing it ontop of her closed sketchbook.

"For my beautiful girl." He added, leaning in to kiss her on the cheek again. This time, his lips lingered against her skin, his arm snaking around her waist. "Now, turn the frown upside down and let me see my baby's beautiful smile."

 

The way he said it was just too cheesy for her but she couldn't help but smile, a smile that was real.

"There you go." He chuckled, nudging her cheek with another kiss.

Jongin being randomly cheesy was just one the million things she loved about him. He never fails to bring out a smile from her, even during hard and stressful times.

 

"You know I love you, right?" His words were so soft she could barely hear them. But she was able to make it out, her cheeks instantly flashing red.

They were already on their way back to her house, Jongin too focused on his driving.

"Why are you being so cheesy all of a sudden?" She asked, turning to face him. A playful smile was plastered on his face, making him look younger than he is. Especially with his snapback that was worn backwards.

"I'd do anything just to see my baby smiling."

And smile she did. He could clearly remember that day. Those days that they were happy. The smiles she would flash him, and he would always think of how lucky he was to have her.

 

"I miss you. I miss you so bad." He sobbed, clutching tightly on her ice cold hand, his shoulder shaking. It was those times where it felt too painful for him that he can't do anything but just cry. And beg her to wake up.

"I need you here baby. Please." He watched her with tears in his eyes, waiting for even just the tiniest movement from her.

Maybe even a miracle.

 

But came nothing.



 

Day 23


 

"Our baby's three months old in there now." It was the same routine for Jongin. After his last shift, he headed straight to Krystal's room. She looked peaceful, the bruises and wounds on her face finally healed, but she remained sleeping.

Earlier, her doctors came in and gave him details about her condition. The only thing that made it positive was the news about their baby. He was growing stronger and healthier.

He. A boy. He was hoping it'll be a boy. Since the day he knew she was pregnant, he'd already referred to their baby as a little boy. A little him.

"And Dr. Joo said we'll finally know if it's a boy or a girl by next month. I told her I'm sure that it's going to be a boy."
 

Flashback. . . .

 

Sundays for Krystal and Jongin were normally spent together, relaxing and just enjoying their time together. They would either watch a movie, take a stroll around or just be lazy at home. And for that day, Krystal had made Jongin agree to take her to a little bit of shopping spree.

 

"Do you think I'd look good in that?" Krystal showed him a maternity dress, a huge smile on her face. It was no secret to him that she's wanting a baby for a couple of months now. And he's not really against it, he even loved the idea. The two of them have talked about it a lot, and planned it too. They're just waiting for it.

 

"I'll bet you'll be the prettiest pregnant woman in history." He grinned, winking at her.


 

Later that night, once done with their nightly routine, they settled on the bed beside each other. Krystal was busy reading something on her phone, that it made Jongin wonder. She was too concentrated on whatever she was reading.

 

“What are you reading?” He couldn’t help but ask, seeing how immersed she was on whatever it was. But instead of answering her, Krystal only showed her the screen of her tablet, where he saw an article about maternity stuff.

 

“We’ll be able to have our own kids soon babe. No worries.” He told her, smiling as he place a kiss on her forehead. They’ve been trying and trying, got tested, still, to no avail, nothing worked.

 

They were still young, but the both of them really wanted to start a family soon. Marriage was set aside, and kids prioritized. With their jobs, both of them were already stable and ready for a family.


 

“But I want you to be awake when she tells us the result. I want to see that beautiful smile, hear you cry out of happiness.” He whispered, clutching her cold hand.

The warmth she had was gone. Slowly, he was getting used to it. But he hated it. He wants to remember her being warm, not cold. She wasn’t dead.

“I’ll do anything just to have you back with me babe.” His tears were endless, as they continuously pour out. The room was filled with his cries once again; his pleas for her just to wake up. He needed her back.


 

Day 45

 

It was her birthday already. And she’s been asleep for more than a m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter