fin.

as flowers fall one by one, i worry your feelings will cool down too
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Unnie, these are for you!” Little Hayoung ran to Saerom, three red roses in hand, and Jisun following closely behind.

“Hayoung unnie, I told you it should be yellow, not red! You’ll shame yourself!”

But she wasn’t turning back, and wasn’t listening. She gave it to Saerom, all shy and giggly. Ten year old Saerom was confused, but found it cute.

When Jisun was beside Hayoung, she slapped her arm, “how many times do I tell you, red is for love? My mom said yellow is the one for friendship!” Then turned to Saerom, “right, unnie?”

“I know! But I love Saerom unnie! Right Saerom unnie? You loved it, right?”

Saerom giggled, and Hayoung’s eyes were hopeful.

“You’re right, Jisun-ah. And yes, Hayoungie, I love it.” 

And little Hayoung liked what she heard. That’s when she started helping Jisun’s mom take care of her garden every Saturday, and get three roses for Saerom in return.

And that’s when Saturdays started to be special for both of them.

It was a year before they finish high school.

The start of a different Saturday. 

It became a routine, Saerom waiting for Hayoung at one of the swings at the playground, sometimes a little early, but exactly on time at most parts. And that Saturday, she wasn’t sure if she’s early, or Hayoung was just late.

It was the latter.

Hayoung was running—sprinting her way to the older, a bouquet held up high, keeping it from being destroyed by her speed. 

When she finally stood three steps away in front of the older, she reached out her hand to offer the bouquet of yellows and reds. Saerom was hesitant—not really, just confused, as the traditional three roses were gone. She accepted nonetheless.

“Sorry, I’m late. I asked Jisun’s mom to arrange it.” A sheepish grin plastered on her face, her fringe going in all directions with all the running she did.

“It’s okay.” She ran her fingers through the flowers, filling her nose with the scent, and admired the beauty of each one, “they’re pretty, Hayoung. Thank you.”

“Unnie, go out with me.”

Saerom was taken aback, it was so sudden. Because Hayoung knows she loves her. Red roses. And it’s as if there’s only happiness when she’s with her, Saerom makes her that happy. Sunflowers. 

A smile, and Saerom nodded, “Sure.”

And Saturday’s became roses and sunflowers and Hayoung.

Their last year of college.

“Would you like to move in with me, Hayoung-ah?” Saerom offered while they were in one of their lunch dates. Hayoung just looked at her, surprised at her sudden statement, Saerom’s getting bold, finally, she thought.

“I mean, come on, you’ll spend less rather than renting for a bed with three housemates. It’s free with me?” She said in a matter-of-fact, “And, I wanna spend more time with you.” Her eyes anywhere but Hayoung as her last words lingered, like she was ashamed of confessing her feelings.

Hayoung gave no answer, and she was starting to feel dejected. A bouquet appeared in front of her face. “I guess the change was just about right.” Hayoung’s smile was soft, just like how it always was when she’s with Saerom. But she was a little happier at that moment, as everything’s going uphill.

“Is this a yes?”

There were no roses, nor were there any sunflowers. Instead, a bunch of tulips were in front of her. Perfect love.

“Did I ever say no to you, unnie?”

Their night was spent laughing about the memories of the past, remembering how Chaeyoung would always tease Jiwon with her height, talking about the new flowers Jisun added in their garden now that she takes care of it, and planning how they would spend future together. And more nights were spent cuddling in their bed, talking about nothing and everything all at once, showing their growing feelings more each day that passes.

They’re almost on their seventh year now.

Saturday.

Saerom shuffled through her kitchen. Apron hugging her waist, hair neatly tied up in a ponytail. 

Forty minutes.

She knew Hayoung was on her way home. Sounds of knife hitting the cutting board, her footsteps, the occasional stirring of soup whenever it boils a little too much, and Taeyeon’s latest album all mixed up. She hummed along, whilst preparing God-knows-what dishes.

Everything was done and all set when she heard the door unlock and threw in Hayoung in her plaid and jeans.

“Come, let’s eat.”

Hayoung gave her a gentle smile, slipping her hands ar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter