Oh My Bear!

Oh My Bear!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In the back corner of the classroom sits a male with his friends chatting nonsense early in the morning. Just like any other day, Jongin waits there before class with his crazy friends, copying someone else’s homework and most of the times looking at his adorable crush who’s sitting two seats in front of the seat next to him.

In Jongin’s sixteen years of life he never thought that his heart would beat not for a girl, but for another boy. When he first saw him, it was in their freshman year of high school; this little guy’s pretty shining eyes caught him immediately. As the weeks went by he learned a lot of things that made him fall even more for the other. The way he tried to hide the smile or laugh when he found something funny, when he bites his cherry red lips while studying, even the way he always bites his nail out of nervousness as a habit, and of course he excels at things effortlessly -even the guy himself was surprised with his hidden skills- he is smart too.

Do Kyungsoo is one name that he will never forget, or more like the person himself. Most of the time Kyungsoo is by himself, oddly enough he still has a lot of friends. His best friend of all just so happens to be a childhood neighbor named Baekhyun. Kyungsoo gets along with anyone but he’s a little timid at times, so it seems, except when he’s with his best friend. Jongin notices how the other would always shy away when being surrounded by most or more specifically, his group of friends. He understands why, though, especially if those group of people are as rowdy as his friends.

Kyungsoo and Jongin have been classmates for two years now, but unfortunately Jongin’s never had the courage to say his feeling for the other. He’s content with just admiring him from afar, but will he really be content with just that for any longer? Jongin doesn’t even know for himself.

Him and his friends are always too loud whenever they are together, getting excited talking about whatever comes to mind. There are no secrets between them, but what’s said in the circle stays in the circle. Obviously, this means they are all aware of the latter’s unrequited love for his adorable crush.

His friends know him very well, they know what makes him tick, what makes him happy, and they also know he’s a klutz. One time he even accidentally ripped the hand of a teddy bear that one of his friends found around their classroom, yeah major klutz. Jongin, much to his dismay, refuses to keep hold of such memories, he doubts he’s that destructive with his hands. He gave it back to his friend so they can return it back to where they had found it and pretend that they’re didn’t do anything wrong; all in the hopes that the owner wouldn’t blame them.

In the morning the classroom was lighten by a bright and sunny glow from the windows, but as soon as the afternoon rolled around the weather suddenly changed. Dark heavy clouds poured swarmed around, blanking the sky with its depressing aura. Lucky enough, Jongin always kept a small umbrella in the back of his bookbag.

While he’s busy staring out the entrance of the building, glazing at the pouring rain, a familiar warm melody seeps through his cold ears. He turns around and sees Kyungsoo, along with a friend Jongin never cared to associate himself with, laughing and talking away. It seemed that only by the time they got three feet from the entrance, did they realize the heavy down pour.

“Shoot! I didn’t bring my umbrella.” Their classmate, Baekhyun, said while digging around his bag. “Guess we have to run and enjoy the rain.”

“Oh, No!” shouts Kyungsoo out of protest. “No, no, no, no, no.” he repeats with his eyes wide in disbelief. “I’d rather wait for the sky to get clear and go home, thank you.”

“How boring!” Baekhyun shouts, “I mean, where’s your sense of fun?” Baekhyun turns and shakes his head at his little friend, then that’s when he notices Jongin. “Oh, hey! ‘Sup Jongin!” He shouts.

“H-hey!” he stutters and gets a little rigid when Kyungsoo suddenly acknowledges him too. The fact that all his confidence completely jumped out of his body, and went to go hide simplify because of a look from those gorgeous round eyes of Kyungsoo, has Jongin’s mind in disbelief.

“Are you about to go home?” Baekhyun asks as he looks at the tall classmate head to toe and speaks again without waiting for him to reply, “Oh I see, you have umbrella.” He announces as he looks back to Kyungsoo. “Could you do us a favor just this once?” He batted his eyelashes and continued, “This guy here needs to get home but doesn’t want his precious bum to get wet from the rain. So, mind if you take him just up to the bus stop?” He pushes his clueless little friend towards the other and didn’t let Jongin to answer back as he shouts “Awesome! G’Bye then Kyungie!” and off he runs through the thick sheets of water.

“Wha – w-wait!” Kyungsoo shouts but his cry was ignored as his friend disappeared under the pouring rain. He’s crazy!

They’re both stunned and speechless but for different reasons, both of them stand silently at the entrance of the school building.

After a few minutes Kyungsoo breaks the silence, “Sorry about that. You know how crazy he can get at times.” He smiles at the latter without knowing how affected the other gets because of it.

“N-not a problem.” he tried to act cool but betrayal showed its ugly head by his mouth as he stutters. His nerves are restless; this is the first time they are together and talking alone. He may look fine on the outside but on the inside his mind is panicking. Evident by the way his heart is beating hard and hands are starting to get clammy. The universe has heard his cries, yet as every second passes he’s chickening out.

“Just wanted you to know that you don’t have to do what he told you. I know you walk in the opposite direction from the bus stop. I’ll just wait for the rain to stop.” Kyungsoo smiled at him again.

If he did what this adorable boy beside him said, then he’s letting this chance slip out of his hands. He breathes out to calm himself, opens his umbrella and looks back to Kyungsoo shyly mumbling, “don’t be silly. I don’t mind... let’s go.” He raised the umbrella along with his confidence. He needed to confess, that’s his plan.

Despite the cold weather his face is getting way too heated. Their arms keep bumping together as Kyungsoo squeezes himself towards him under the umbrella, Jongin’s mind lingers in the thought of treating Baekhyun sometime for this as a thank you.

As they walk, Jongin takes a glance at the other and he sees a few drops of rains are getting on the smaller’s shoulder. Should I tell him... but Jongin, this is your chance to make a move. He thought of pulling the other closer to him, but the hand near the shorter one of the two already had a job of holding up their small dry oasis. So, the only way to prevent Kyungsoo from getting damp from the rain is to move the umbrella more towards the little guy, meaning he would get a slightly wet himself, not that he mind. His small plan was a success and his smile grew bigger because of his secret accomplishment.

The only thing left to do is to confess, right…but like, how though? The thought of saying it now to Kyungsoo makes Jongin feel more conscious about himself, he’s starting to get tongue tied again. . He hates himself for being such a ing loser. Everybody thought he was oh so cool, which they made up themselves, but, he is just a total loser who can’t even man up to his longtime crush. Jongin’s dilemma was interrupted when the smaller turned to him.

“Here’s my stop. Thanks for taking me here.” Kyungsoo gives him that beautiful smile again and suddenly Jongin knees want to give up.

“My bus is here. Well, thank you again. Uhm… see you tomorrow.” Kyungsoo said as he opens his own bag to look for his fare card. In the mist of his sudden despair, Jongin catches a glimpse at something poking out a pocket of the other’s bag. A horrible feeling rushed through his body; Kyungsoo owns the bear from earlier, the one he accidentally ripped. While he’s reevaluating his life choices, Jongin can’t help but to think how adorable Kyungsoo is already. Seeing that he’s actually carrying a teddy bear, despite of him being a high schooler, is making Jongin want to hug the other close to his chest. Of course, he fought the urge in the end, though. He doesn’t want to scare his little crush, right? Most importantly, he didn’t want to embarrass himself for the action

“Y-yeah!” he thought that he’d be done with the stutters, yet that was not the case. It’s all Kyungsoo’s fault for being too cute. “See you tomorrow.” He said almost in a whisper.

Kyungsoo hops onto the transportation and Jongin’s eyes never leave his classmate as he settles in at the end of the bus; disappearing from his sight. He will never forget this day, ever.

Jongin arrives home eventually, but the weather is still at it’s worst. However, that was the last thing he was thinking about. How stupid and coward of Jongin for letting his chance slip away earlier, and even destroying the bear that Kyungsoo owns. He exhales deeply and weighs his failures. For Jongin, Kyungsoo is so perfect and he likes everything about him. Maybe that’s the reason why he never had the guts to confess, he’s too scared because Kyungsoo might not like him the way he likes the other. He’s always nervous around the smaller, and if he’s too nervous his mind goes blank and ends up saying stupid things or does something wrong in the process.

A thin line in the sky passes through his peripheral vision and catches his drowsy attention. He sleepily stares at this bluish star among the heavy rain. Lying on his bed, his thoughts only consisted of his moment with Kyungsoo earlier. It’s been so long, and he doesn’t know if fate will allow him to be alone with Kyungsoo again someday. He hopes and prays, like every other night that he can somehow be close to the other or know if he likes him too. Before Jongin’s able to close his eyes completely, drifting away to the land of dreams, loud thunder roars through the night air. The last thing Jongin sees is a bright flash from the lightening before sleep comforts him from reality.

 

 

Jongin feels weird. He feels a little suffocated but at the same time, not. Weird. He opens his heavy eyes and tries to clear his vision. When he does, Jongin has the surprise of his life. There’s a face in front of him that has him completely shaken, and it’s not just any random face--it’s Kyungsoo’s. Am I dreaming? He lifts his hand to his face, pinching himself to confirm if this is all just a dream or not. In the mist he notices that his whole arms feel light and mores effortlessly. When his arms made their way into his vision, he didn’t expect to see a fluffy and furry arm of some sort instead of flesh. The fluffy arm is moving the way how he wanted it, this couldn’t be mine, he thought. He touches his face, and again all he felt was the same fluffiness as his arm. It seems like it is really his body, but that’s…weird. This might really be a dream. His short fur’s color is like that of a stuffed toy, something like the one Kyungsoo had in his bag before-- the one that he accidentally ripped the arm off. He looks back at Kyungsoo and their surroundings, is this his room? He can’t believe it. He’s dreaming about his longtime crush and hopes that he’s seeing the actual bedroom of this cute boy. The room really suits his adorable Kyungsoo, all neat and comfy. He wouldn’t mind this kind of dream.

The boy beside him stirs awake and the arms that are hugging him raises up to stretch. Jongin tried to stand, but suddenly all his limbs are heavy and he couldn’t move. He looks at Kyungsoo and tries to call him instead but there’s no voice coming out from his mouth. Jongin can’t even feel it moving. He doesn’t understand what’s going on, and it’s getting weirder by the second. By the time Kyungsoo disappears behind the door beside the closet, all his body suddenly felt light and he can move again. This is crazy.

He looks at the clock and it’s already past eleven, it’s already noon. Even in his dreams he wakes up late. Ignoring all the weirdness going on, Jongin stands up and walks to the edge of the bed. It’s too high for him, if he jumps down he’ll probably hurt himself. Then again, he remembers that this is all just a dream and he’s body feels light. If he did fall and got hurt, he could possible wake up and this dream can be over. So, he takes the risk and jumps down. It’s no surprise to him that he didn’t feel any pain from it, his body is basically like a cloud. He walks toward the closet and stands in front of one of the doors, the one with the mirror.

This is unbelievable. His flesh had been replaced with a soft short brown fur, his limbs became all soft and squishable, his eye are all black and his nose too. He lifts his hand and caresses his body, it feels so real. This is exactly the bear he saw and had ripped up. His eyes make a trail along the stitches around his arms, a little relief settles in Jongin’s heart because it’s already been fixed. He walks back to the side of the bed, as he was about to reach the hem of the duvet his body suddenly became heavy again. He fell down face flat on the floor, he can’t move again. The sound of a door being opened reaches his ears, that’s probably Kyungsoo. The sound of feet stomping stops just right at his back, and suddenly he was lifted into the air.

“How did you get down there?” a confused Kyungsoo picks up his most precious toy off the ground. “I’m sorry Kai, I must have dropped you earlier.” He said.

The bear has a name. Kai… not a bad name. Jongin thought.

Kyungsoo gently caresses the cheek of the bear in his hands. Jongin can’t believe that he’s experiencing this right now. He knows that if he was in his real body then he might be blushing so much by now. Nevertheless, He feels his soft stuffy cheeks are warming from the sweet action. He really hopes Kyungsoo is like this in reality.

Their eyes meet for a little while before Jongin was put on top of one of the pillows on the bed. Kyungsoo went out the door and Jongin feels his strength coming back again. It seems that whenever Kyungsoo is around he turns into a lifeless teddy bear. Jongin sigh, he doesn’t understand why everything feels so real. He can even feel his own heart beating, especially when the pretty round eyes stared back at him not even a minute ago.

He spent at least two or three hours walking and looking around the room and came across a box under the bed. He stared at it for a minute, and then he heard a scratching sound from inside. Curiosity killed the cat and he pulled the box despite of its heaviness. His heart is beating but he’s so curious of what’s inside, it seems alive. What could have Kyungsoo be hiding in this box and why is it moving? He pressed his plush ear on the box and heard some grunts and whispers. He in some air and bravely climbed up the box and opened it.

Dusty particles greet him, but after it clears out he saw a bunch of other stuffed animals.

“Oh, thank God!” someone shouts and surprises Jongin, having him fall on the floor.

A toy pops out from the box and jumps down beside him. It’s a green dinosaur, “Hey you!” it shouts, “What’s going on here! Am I dreaming?” the dinosaur asks him.

“I-I don’t know. What are you talking about?” he asks back, the voice of the dinosaur sound familiar. It’s already been weird that he woke up as a teddy bear in this never-ending dream, but seeing another toy talking is making him crazy.

“Look I don’t know what’s going on, but I woke up in this body… of a stuffed toy?” the dinosaur touched his soft belly and tried to touch his tail too but ended up becoming dizzy from stupidly chasing it around.

That statement makes Jongin more confused. He has the same fate as him. Jongin stands up and asks, “You mean you’re actually human too before waking up in that body?”

The dinosaur stops and looks back at him, “Yeah, you too?”

Jongin nods.

“Ahhhhhhhhhhh!” another shout from inside the box was heard and followed by another until they all came out from the box.

“Who are you? Why are you all moving? And why is my body like this?” shouts a stuffed hamster. Same goes to the dog, and wolf.

They were all too shocked and all shouting from this crazy situation they were in. Jongin’s ear were breaking from it. This is his dream, so why are they acting like they’re the ones having a nightmare from waking up the same way he did. He took the event lightly because he knows it’s all just a dream, right? Then again, their voices hurt his ears and it’s weird that he hasn’t woke up yet.

“EVERYONE SHUT UP!” Jongin shouts and suddenly the room is silent.

“This will not be solved if everyone is shouting.” He sighs, now he can feel a slight headache.

“Look, I don’t know what’s going on and it’s hella weird too, but it looks like we all are human before waking up, like this.” He informs them.

That statement of his sent shivers down his own body, then does that mean this is all real?

“My name is Jongdae. Yes, I’m actually a human who doesn’t know why I woke up like this.” He slams his cotton-stuffed arms on his soft stomach.

“JONGDAE!? KIM JONGDAE!?” his jaw dropped.

“Yeah, and you are?” Jongdae knows this voice for some reason, as if it’s-- “JONGIN!?”

The teddy bear nods, “Yes! But…then the others must be…” he looks at everyone.

“W-wait if you are Jongin and Jongdae… then you’re Chanyeol?” the hamster pointed at the wolf.

“No, I’m Sehun and that dog is probably Chanyeol.” He pushed the hamster a little.

“Wow. Are we cursed?” asks Chanyeol dumbly, at the bizarre moment it seemed like the most logical option.

Jongin is quiet and slowly trying to swallow all this new information. Then everything is real?

“I guess so, but why,” asks Xiumin.

“I’m not really sure. Did our group messed up with some deity?” Sehun asks.

No that can’t be. We may be a bunch of rowdy students, but we don’t do bad things. He unconsciously touches the stitch around his arms, Jongin looks at everyone, then he remembers Kyungsoo and the bear.

“Uhm, I don’t know what’s going on either, but it appears that it has something to do with me or with Kyungsoo, I think?” he blurted out without much assurance.

“Why?... How?” asks Jongdae.

Jongin is silent for a moment, he looks like he’s thinking deeply. He recalls what happened the other day. It was a glorious day, Friday, with Kyungsoo even just for a moment. Then before he went to sleep he wished for Kyungsoo to return his feeling or somehow be close to him then it hits him. “I kind of wished for something… this place… this is Kyungsoo’s room.” He said.

Everyone looks around still confused and Jongdae asks again, “Kyungsoo’s room?”

Sehun walks around Xiumin and puts his snout above the hamster’s head, pinching the other’s cotton cheeks. “How cute, he still has this kind of toys.” He coos.

Jongin glared at him, “What? I’m not making fun of him. I just really find it cute.” Sehun sighs when Jongin doesn’t stop glaring at him, “Anyway, why us too?” he deadpanned.

“About that, well, remember when you found a bear inside our classroom?” He looks at Sehun expectantly. The other looks back at him from head to toe and suddenly his eyes widen in horror.

“No way.” He said disbelievingly.

“This probably is.” Jongin confirms him.

“No, no, no… No!” Sehun denies.

“What are you two talking about?” Chanyeol interrupts them.

“We might have been cursed of what we did to this teddy bear I’m in and from what I had wished. This doll is the one we had made fun of when Sehun showed it to us, and I accidentally tore the arms when it was handed to me. We just returned it without fixing it, the owner of this toy was actually…Kyungsoo.”

“So that’s why it looks familiar. I didn’t notice it because it got bigger, well, we got to be the same height with it, so yeah, we ed up.” Jongdae regrets even holding the thing, he wants to blame it all on them, but he was with his friends that time. It’s not beneficial even if he complains so he just shut up.

“Now what do we do?” Xiumin cries.

“There, there, Minnie. Everything will be fine. Let’s have a clear mind while dealing with this matter, okay?” Jongdae pats the stuffed hamster’s back, struggling, although, because of the restriction of his short arms.

“I’m sorry. I think the root of this problem is all on me. I think all of this is really my fault, I’m really sorry.” Jongin faced them again.

“No, Jongin. Don’t blame it all on yourself. We’ve contributed to this matter too.” Xiumin tried to calm Jongin down.

A loud sound of footsteps ascending from the stairs can be heard outside the door making Jongin panic. He can’t let Kyungsoo finding out his other toys were weirdly outside the box and lying on the floor together. He remembers the side effect of Kyungsoo being near, which is basically becoming lifeless. He was sure that Kyungsoo had the same effect on the rest of his friends.

“Hide!” he shouts making everyone confuse again. However, they still ran under the bed.

“Why? What’s going on?” Chanyeol covers his eyes with his fluffy ears.

“Just do what I say.” He pushes the box back under the bed.

“Wait, help me climb up... Hurry.” Jongin said in panic. Everyone piles their body on top of each other so Jongin can climb up, then they hide back under the bed.

Before Kyungsoo could enter the room, everyone went silent. As expected, they all suddenly went limp and couldn’t move.

Kyungsoo looks at Kai on the bed and sits beside him. “Hey, sorry for leaving you for a moment.” He picks up Kai and holds it in front of him. “Hope you’re not bored. It’s already four in the afternoon. I’m gonna cook some food ‘cause Dad will be home in an hour from now, wanna come?” He asks his beloved stuffed toy.

All regrets from earlier had been washed away when Jongin laughs and coos in his mind. He thinks it’s pretty cute how Kyungsoo tends to talk to his doll. However, he feels happy because it feels like he’s actually the one the other is talking to instead of the toy.

Jongin was brought to the kitchen, he was seated on the marble counter top facing the lovely boy. Kyungsoo puts his apron on making Jongin blush, domestic Kyungsoo is the best he thought. He looks soft wearing that gray apron above his baby blue shirt and khaki shorts. He watches as Kyungsoo starts to cook and Jongin feels too lucky to witness this side of him. More so, he felt luckier when Kyungsoo starts to shake his bum as he sings with his melodic voice. Kyungsoo looks happy working in the kitchen and that made Jongin starts to imagine them living together like this. Him sitting in the dinning area while his little husband cooking him their dinner, okay sometimes he can’t help but to imagine Kyungsoo as his future husband. Jongin heart’s melting from dreaming of them being together, Jongin didn’t notice that the other is already done preparing the food.

The two of them settle on the couch after an hour of cooking and Kyungsoo decided to watch some show while waiting for his father. Hugging his most prize possession on his lap, Kyungsoo fell asleep while waiting.

Jongin felt his strength returning as Kyungsoo fell asleep, but even if he can move at the moment, he choose to stay in the arms of his darling angel. A light snore escapes those beautiful lips, he looks up to the young man and melts. At this close proximity, he could see how his skin is almost perfect with a few bumps in the unnoticed areas and he also have a few and small moles around his neck and his right eyelid just below his manly thick eyebrows. His eyelashes look so soft and long that Jongin wants to touch it, so he does. His cottony fur gently caresses those calm closed eyes all the way down to his pretty nose. This only adds to all the thing he likes about Kyungsoo. Jongin didn’t stop there as his eyes stare lovingly at those red lips and there he found more moles. He can’t explain how attractive those moles are for him, right now. It’s like it’s pulling him in. His brain is getting fuzzy with that idea, this could be his chance but then, that sounds rude especially because he would be stealing a kiss from such a precious person. However, he’s a decent person, he will not disrespect Kyungsoo like that, but those full lips are now pouting more as Kyungsoo’s head drops forward heavily towards him. It almost makes him think that it is okay to lean in and kiss him. Though it will not be as good as when he’s in his human body, at least he would feel those fleshy lips. His face is heating up as he comes closer to the other, just a short kiss that’s all he asks. A centimeter close, this is it! He will finally have a taste of Kyungsoo’s lips! But suddenly his cottony body drops heavily on the other’s lap.

“I’m home!” a loud voice resonates as a person enters the house.

Jongin cusses, what bad timing he was so close, but thanks to whoever interrupted his golden chance, he missed it.

Kyungsoo was startled, he abruptly stood up, and accidentally dropping Kai on the floor.

“Welcome back dad.” the boy greets his father sleepily.

“You know, there’s no need for you to wait for me. If you feel tired just go sleep.” His father pats his head lovingly.

“It’s okay. I already made dinner by the way.” He yawns.

His father nods and pats Kyungsoo on the head. Even though Jongin can’t see the boy’s face he knows that he looks so cute right now. He can say that Kyungsoo’s father is a tall man, maybe an inch taller than Jongin, or maybe they’re the same height.

Still lying on the floor, Jongin is waiting for Kyungsoo to pick him up since he can’t move but instead the other steps on his belly. He doesn’t feel any pain but he can feel the weight coming down on him. It’s like his tactile sense is there but less pain. That’s the time Kyungsoo noticed Kai on the floor and hurriedly collected him in his hands.

“I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to step on you.” Kyungsoo dusted him off then hugged him and sighed. On the other hand, Jongin’s face is heating up from how tight Kyungsoo is hugging him – no pun intended. If only he could hug him back too.

The father and son start to eat their dinner when the eldest son – as he learned before – came home. Unlike Kyungsoo, the eldest son got their father’s trait more; height, looks, and even his voice. In the course of their meal Jongin witnessed how both of the elders treat Kyungsoo. They look like they really adore him. They talk a little about how their Saturday went and laughed here and there, it’s a picture-perfect family but something is missing. From what Jongin knows, Kyungsoo only has one brother, that means the only person who owns the vacant seat is the light of the house, their mother. But she seems to still be working at the moment because she’s not there. He wishes he could eat with Kyungsoo like this too, someday. J

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter