Light Inside

Make It Red

[Miyawaki Log 1: The files sent over were bare bones at best and lack any leads. Rumors have circulated that the stolen pieces were sold at auctions hosted by the Black Market, however no further proof provides that this is true. Forensics had also reported that the feather left behind at the scene harbored no DNA evidence, no blood, no sweat, nothing. That's going to be a pain to look over. I have yet to take a look at the most recent scene, however I suspect—]

"NOW BOARDING: FLIGHT IZ1 TO INCHEON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT."

Sakura flicked her head up at the sudden robotic announcement as her fingers ceased their incessant typing. She had lost track of how long she had waited inside the ariport since she had arrived but thankfully, much to the dismay of the neighboring patrons that were forced to hear the clicking of her laptop keys, she occupied herself with work, reading every document and article necessary to get a clear grasp of her case.

Since the pieces stolen were internationally renowned, the heists were covered by every news site from east to west with everyone wanting to know who had the gall to successfully steal several high-profile pieces of artwork in not once, not twice, but eight different occassions. Eight different museums that had the highest quality of security systems. The world had eyes on someone no one knew and it was almost laughable how the public had come admire the thief for their tenacity. 

The rose-haired detective hadn't forgotten to specifically mark the reports written in Hangul for future use. She might need to hire a translator if the station couldn't provide one. Although she engrossed herself in exploring various fields, learning Korean had evaded her priorities in the midst of clearing mountains of cases. There was no time available in the day for her to sit down in a class and learn.

At times like these, she was really kicking her past self for choosing French in University.

Shuffling the papers in a pile and storing her laptop away, she hooked her messanger bad over her shoulder and shuffled her aching legs to the designated gate. She wriggled her limbs to get the blood flowing inside her limbs but the feeling was reminscent of pins and needles gently poking her skin; it reminded her of when she spent a good two days straight finishing a game on her computer. Those were some good times, it's a shame she couldn't bring it with her. 

She nestled her head inside her scarf to muffle the yawn threatening to come out as people filed inside the tunnel to the plane. Taking her seat near the window, she looked to see the lights littered like stars in sky. As she went through the humdrum of airplane procedures, she heard the voices drone on and on until her eyes fluttered close, and then there was only silence. 

Consequently, her head had drooped onto the shoulder of a blonde woman that good naturedly let herself be a pillow. They were kindred spirits, after all she was tired too but atleast she brought a neck pillow with her. 

 

"...We are almost near our destination, folks. We'll be preparing to descend soon and as always thanking you for flying with us."

Miyawaki Sakura felt her head drop slightly until a gentle hand repositioned it back to where it was. With a groggy groan, she sat up and rubbed her eyes awake. She attempted to stretch but her elbow had unintentionally punched her neighbor; the same neighbor she used as a pillow for the whole duration of the trip. 

"A-ah..." Sakura stuttered, her mind tried to grasp enough words in Korean to form. "Korean or..."

"Japanese is fine." The stranger had assured, smiling that smile that made her cheeks fuller and her eyes crinkle in delight. 

Sakura let a sigh of relief that simmered the anxiety in her chest. "Thank you."

"It's no problem. There's nothing worse than having a sore neck after a flight, even if it was two hours." She shrugged her shoulders and moved to grab her seatbelt. "You better buckle up or else the flight attendant is going to scold us."

A muted nod was her answer as she fumbled with the straps for a second until locking in. The plane descended smoothly as the passengers roused themselves from the short flight; two hours may not have been long but it still took its toll especially when seated on the stiff seats.

Eventually, wheels made contact with the ground and they slowly approached a full stop. The second the plane stopped moving, it was as if the lethargic atmosphere dissipated and everyone jumped to their feet to be the first at the door. The stranger next to her had reclined further into her seat, waiting for the initial madness to subside else she'd risk losing her arm from the scramble, and settled with fiddling on her phone now that signal was intact.  

As the people trickled out, the kind stranger had suddenly stepped into the stream and disappeared into the mass of bodies. She must've been in a hurry with how quickly she had shot out of her seat and shimmied through the crowd;  it was almost comical how she was able smoothly weave in and out.

Ah, Sakura had stopped. I didn't get her name.

Her heart wanted to stop her but her mind told her that that would be a stupid idea, she had only properly met her for three minutes after all. Oh whatever, Sakura shook her head at the thought, it's not as if she'll see her again. Collecting her belongings, she walked through the aisles, bowing politely to the flight attendants along the way to the exit. 

With her bag clutched in hand, the chill that went down her spine wasn't from the cold winds that drafted from the open window. All the mysteries were an exciting new endeavor for her and she was never one to shy a challenge. The only thing she needed was some caffeine and proper internet for her to start.

Be it Korea or Japan, she had a perfect reputation to uphold and no petty thief was going to sully that.