1. The Greatest Gift

The Greatest Gift
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For the nobles and foreign suitors attending the coronation of the new Great King—the wealthiest ruler of all, capable of pulling any country out of poverty with the snap of his fingers—Prince Jongdae had one request: “bring me a gift I’ve never received before.”

Prince Jongdae’s grand request spread like wildfire throughout the kingdom, and the cardinal winds carried the news across the highest mountain peaks and the stormiest of seas to others. It sparked a frenzy within the hearts of those capable of dreaming. Marriage to the Great King was beyond the Gods’ blessings.

With only a year until the coronation, the world changed gears to accommodate the opportunity. The new hustle and bustle were seeking the perfect gift for the new king. But that begged the question: what could you give a person who already had it all?

Some dug deep into the earth in search of mineralized stars while others dived into darkness in search of fantastic beasts. Some wove the finest garments out of the rarest materials with elaborate designs while others sought after ingredients tasted only by the Gods.

When the time finally came for the coronation of the new Great King, the Greatest City was overfilled with glorious, mind-boggling treasures and their eager owners. It would take the newly crowned Great King three days of nearly nonstop gifting for him to get through everything.

Many suitors entered the royal chambers one-by-one with their mystical gifts, and one-by-one they were rejected. Panic arose amongst the people.

“Why was my gift refused? It’s the greatest gift of all!” were some of the cries delivered by the cardinal winds.

The Great King Jongdae never gave a clearer answer than “No.” Once he shook his head, waved a dismissive hand, or even sighed, the potential suitors were escorted out. Great King Jongdae didn’t keep their gifts either. He was the wealthiest in the land; he didn’t need to.

With word spreading that the Great King had been rejecting gifts left and right, almost any hope of marrying the man seemed lost. It wasn’t until the last remaining minutes of the third day when the Great King would change his decision.

“I believe this is the last participant, Your Greatness.”

Jongdae suppressed a yawn and nodded for his advisor to open the towering doors for the last time that night. He hoped the suitor wouldn’t bring any exotic animals. The smell from the ‘little accident’ from earlier still faintly lingered in the air.

The doors opened revealing a rather small man. Well, he wasn’t exactly small , but from a distance and next to the large doors, he looked small; the elevation of the throne did not help, either. Jongdae sat up in his seat as the small man first bowed.

After a subtle glance in his advisor’s direction, the small man was nudged along.

“His Greatness is waiting for you. Move along, now.”

The small man bowed to his advisor (for whatever odd reason) and as he took careful steps towards the throne, he grew in size.

Jongdae didn’t spot any gifts growing in size also, so where was his? It was clear soon enough, though, that whatever gift the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter