Summer, an Epilogue

Golden Fruit of Your Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It is July. Bright, sunny, and hot, hotter than Jongin expected it to be in the valley. He’s sweating, which annoys him because he’d dressed up nice before leaving Dawngrove, a special outfit just for this. The AC on the bus is soothing, but not quite enough; he fans himself for a while, then gives up, watching the familiar sights go by. Finally, the little grocery store with its striped awning, the haphazardly placed sign advertising new batches of fresh sunsalt and jade ginger plastered against the window. He gets off, stretches, and walks. Each step closer to Kyungsoo’s house makes him anxious, a lump forming in his throat. What if Kyungsoo isn’t home? Then he’d be a sweaty fool, melting on Kyungsoo’s doorstep. He doesn’t have much time to think up other scenarios (which he’s thankful for). He’s here.

Jongin knocks on the door, then presses the buzzer for good measure, rocking on the balls of his feet while he waits. A minute passes, and Jongin is acutely aware of the rivulet of sweat makings its way down the back of his neck. His hair feels baked by the sunlight. Another excruciating minute, then a shout of I’m coming. Jongin breathes a sigh of relief (only partial relief, of course) and pats dry some of the sweat off of his upper lip. The door opens, and Kyungsoo stares at him.

He looks a little leaner, but perhaps it’s the haircut. They stare at each other, a full beat of tension, heavy with summer heat and the oppressive buzz of cicadas.

“Hi,” Jongin says at last.

“H-hi. What are you doing here?” Kyungsoo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter