i/i

fantastic dyo and where to find him
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's somewhere in the 1920s. Kim Jongin has just landed in new york. A wizard in secret, now a man to the general public, alights from the ship and navigates his way through the migrating crowd at the port. From the harbour, Jongin stares long and hard into the distance where the statue of Liberty stands. He doesn't know what a man of half Korean and half British descent would achieve on the American soil but only time would tell. For now, the man prays America would sell what it sells best—be the land of opportunity.


 

Jongin tugs his good old Hufflepuff scarf closer to himself. Those stripes of blue and yellow have faded away. Jongin is thankful for those years of wear and tear because the last thing he wants is to stand out from the crowd. If anything, the wizard doesn’t want to attract any prying eyes of his own kinds.


 

Jongin takes a cab downtown to where he would be staying for the next three months. Jongdae has phoned him for a teaching offer in the big apple a week back. But frankly speaking, Jongin is not keen on the job, given that he is a comfortable soul back in his hometown. He is used to the gloomy weather and little traffic in the suburbs of London.


 

But then again, it’s not like Jongin has much of a choice when the town folks start banging on his door to question him about their missing pumpkins. Luckily, little mention is done about those tiny footprints in the dirt. But Jongin knows if they stay there any longer, nothing good would come out of it eventually, given that the seeds of doubt have been planted in their neighbours’ heads.


 

Kim Jongin also has enough of Ministry of Magic hounding at his very doorstep. Things have never been a good sign since Newt Scamander has made the headlines a few months ago for smuggling magical creatures into this very dimension. Worse, if the authorities are to find out that Jongin has gotten his own from a black market, he is pretty sure he wouldn’t make it out alive to see the daylights.


 

 

 


 

The residence is a bijou apartment on the estate, just a few minutes of walking distance from the teaching institution he has been assigned at. Jongdae has registered him as a marine biologist on the resume. His cousin seems to have put in a few good words for him to take up a teaching job in the department of zoology in the school.


 

His dusty old suitcase rustles when the man places it down on a desk. The sound of a zipper being pulled open could be heard and out of the opening peeks a tiny bald head. Soon, a pair of webbed feet step out, followed by more rustling sound as a round body wiggles its way out of the suitcase. Tap. Tap. Those webbed feet thump on the wood, gathering Jongin's attention as the wizard finally turns around to his impatient little guest and drops a “Morning Dyo and welcome to our new home.”


 

Jongin observes fondly as the tiny being explores the house wide-eyed. It seems mildly impressed by the upgrade—a cosy living room adjacent to a mini kitchen with a reasonable amount of sunlight—until a car honks by outside and sends the poor thing scrambling back into the valise.


 

“Hey, it’s okay.” The man coaxes the little one out, “Come on Dyo, it’s just vroom vroom.” Jongin nudges the form of fluff gently with his forefinger but the tiny being recoils from his touch and burrows itself further and deeper into the suitcase.


 

 

 


 

The first time Dyo shifts, Jongin doesn’t expect the whole revelation of a young man standing right before his very own eyes. Thankfully, the young man is fully clothed and covered in human form. The boy is clad in a crisp white button down with fancy black suspenders attached to his charcoal grey slacks, looking like a fine little gentleman of his own.


 

Jongin studied the young novelty with the curiosity of a biologist. He still can’t get over the whole penguin turned human incident. Jongin is fascinated beyond words. The wizard marvels at the beauty of the transfiguration because how on earth does a magical creature appear as worldly as the gorgeous man standing right in front of him—look at those pretty brown eyes and pouty lips, who could resist that?


 

“Is this a new specie?” Jongin asks aloud while he runs his fingers along the boy’s arms in wonder. “Stop that,” The young man yelps, clearly in discomfort, “You’re tickling me.” Curious, the wizard dismisses the other’s whines and continues to palpate those flesh and bones and sweet Merlin, they are oh so soft as Jongin imagines them to be.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter