One

Fall back into starlight.

Seulgi spends her life living in shades of black and white. Colourblind (and also loveblind), she grows up awaiting the day she meets her soulmate. She’s impatient but she’s willing to wait. After all, her parents, who are each other’s colours, tell her that nothing compares, nothing will prepare her for the day she sees colours.

 

But the lack of colours don’t stop her from chasing her dreams. 

 

-

 

Seulgi's barely turned 18, when she sees colours for the first time. She’s lazing around, attempting to sketch from her place on the couch, when her dad pokes her on her forehead. 

 

“Princess, look,” he pokes her once more. “These two girls are really pretty, you could draw them.” He winks at her, and she rolls her eyes. 

 

But she looks up at the television anyway, because she’s been struggling with her art lately, and she needs a new subject.

 

When she looks at the television, the shot is of the two girls, and their backup dancers, probably, in a midst of a dance break. The beat is strong, and her limbs itch to join along. 

 

“Who are they?” she asks. “Also, the camerawork is ; I could do a better job.” 

 

“Ha, I’m sure anyone could do a way better job than this mess,” he laughs, deep, a rumble in his chest. “The show says that they’re Wendy and Joy. I think the one with short hair is Wendy. Oh yes, look, the lyrics have their names-“ 

 

The camera cuts to a closeup of Wendy, smiling bright and happy, singing while maintaining eye contact with the camera. 

 

And a flicker of colour floods her vision. It’s quick, short. And the most vibrant colour - a name she doesn’t know of yet, shines through amongst the other, duller colours. But just as Seulgi opens to ask her father about why it seems like only one colour is showing through, the camera cuts away again.

 

This time to a two-shot of both Wendy and Joy. 

 

And wow. Now she understands why. 

 

They’re both grinning into the camera, voices still strong, and a new colour grows, alongside the other. 

 

“Dad?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“What colour is her hair?”

 

“Which one?”

 

“I don’t know. Both?” She can’t focus on anything else other than how beautiful the two people on screen are. Colours are swirling and swirling, invading her every senses. She thinks she’s never felt anything like this. No. Seulgi’s sure she’s never felt anything like this - seeing colours for the first time. Everything feels, alive.

 

“Wendy’s blue, and Joy’s green,” her dad replies. “What’s wrong? You look flushed.” 

 

So that colour. The first colour she’s ever seen. It’s blue. 

 

Seulgi doesn’t understand why people use the phrase “feeling blue” to describe being sad. Because, right now, at this very moment, blue feels a lot like happiness to her. It’s everything and anything. 

 

And green - the second colour that flooded her vision. The colour that brought along the rest of the rainbow. 

 

The two singers stay on screen, and Seulgi is entranced. 

 

But the colours start to fade away as the song comes to an end. With a final bow, as they turn away, breaking eye-contact, her colours dial back into greys.

 

Except for green and blue. 

 

The two colours stay, lingering in the corners of her mind. When she turns away from the television, she sees the two colours staining the black and white of her life. She didn’t know her dad’s glasses were blue, or that her bedroom slippers were green. 

 

Does this happen? Seeing your soulmate (or soulmates, in Seulgi’s case) through a lens? She doesn’t think she’s met anyone who’s gone through that before. Is this what happens when you don’t get a proper eye-contact, getting only a specific colour? 

 

She’ll have to ask the person who seems to know the most about soulmates.

 

 

 

Yerim. 

 

 

-

 

 

 

“Okay hold up,” Yerim says, eyes still trained on the food she’s stuffing into . 

 

Seulgi stares at her friend, as Yerim chews extremely slowly (probably to annoy her). When Yerim finally swallows the last morsel of food, she daintily dabs at with a napkin as if she didn’t just inhale two burgers. 

 

“So,” she drawls. “You’re telling me you see colours now.”

 

Seulgi nods.

 

“But only two colours because the others disappeared.”

 

She nods again. 

 

“And you got your colours because,” Yerim pauses, leaning in with her eyes piercing. “You saw an idol on the screen.

 

She vigorously shakes her head. “Not just an idol! Two of them!”

 

“Two idols on the screen,” Yerim amends. “What are their names again?”

 

“Wendy, and Joy.”

 

“Wendy and Joy,” her friend repeats, a smirk on her face. Seulgi doesn’t like the look of that.

 

She quickly adds in. “I think, I, I don’t know. It was what was written on the screen.” (As if she hadn’t spent the past day or so binging every single performance pop-duo Red Velvet has on YouTube in an attempt to find out more about her soulmates.) 

 

 

 

 

“Okay so what’s your plan? I mean I can try looking for them in the company but they’re probably too busy for some lowly peasant like me.”

 

“You’re not a lowly peasant,” Seulgi says. “You’re my best friend and also the best damn producer this world will ever see!”

 

Yerim rolls her eyes, affectionate amusement causing her to nudge at Seulgi playfully. “Yea, if they ever accept my compositions. The people are always all ‘Yeri it’s good but it’s not polished enough.’ ‘Yeri you gotta wait till you’re slightly older.’” 

 

She tries to ruffle Yerim’s hair, only for her hand to be slapped away, and gets tugged up from their seats. 

 

 

 

As they mindlessly stroll through the mall, a brilliant thought flits through Seulgi’s mind. 

 

“Yerim!” She turns to her friend (and wow she’s never realised it but Yerim has really grown a lot since they’d met at performance camp - Yerim for music and writing, and Seulgi for dancing and singing.) 

 

Yerim eyes her with poorly hidden distrust. “What is it...” 

 

“I can be their fansite!” She says. And Seulgi thinks it’s probably her best idea yet. This way, she can spend more time with her soulmates (kinda), and also not disrupt the idols lives. She shudders to think about actually meeting them, and oh god, their fans’ reactions. 

 

Yerim takes one look at her and cackles. Like a full blown, bent-over cackle. She wipes tears that have made their way down her cheeks as she catches her breath. 

 

Still, to her credit, she allows Seulgi to drag her around the mall to get better camera equipment - bigger lenses, tripods and monopods, a new bag for all the equipment. 

 

 

 

“I don’t know why you think being their fansite is a better idea than me barging into their manager oppa’s office to get their numbers,” Yerim says. “Even trying to get a fansign ticket is a better idea than this.”

 

“Well,” she reasons, “I don’t want to interrupt their lives.” (Seulgi doesn’t talk about the interview she found last night where Joy gleefully pointed out how beautiful Wendy’s blue hair was. Doesn’t want to tell Yerim that it probably meant that Joy and Wendy were already each other’s colours.) 

 

Yerim sighs but doesn’t argue further. 

 

“Remember to tell your parents about your crazy plans.” Is all she says before she bids Seulgi goodbye and rushes off to god knows where.

 

 

 

---

sorry I took so long to post thing shfkglg I still don't know how it's gonna pan out