Final

Viva [Polo] Forever

12th January 2019

 

“Seriously, Chanyeol, there’s no need to—”

 

The taller one just ignored Kyungsoo and tugged his hand to the parking lot. “A promise is a promise.”

 

After a celebratory dinner for Kyungsoo’s 27th (Korean age) birthday, the members had returned to the dorms at almost 10:30 p.m, a little later than they anticipated. Kyungsoo thought he would just turn in afterwards, as he had requested to have Sunday morning off to celebrate his birthday with family before attending another schedule with EXO at night. However, Chanyeol was so excited about his “surprise” for him—just the two of them—that Kyungsoo had to give in.

 

“Wherever we’re going...” Kyungsoo was saying as he secured his seatbelt (the clock was pushing 10:45 at night) “…I’m sure they’re about to close, if they aren’t already.”

 

Chanyeol slid into the driver’s seat of his car and determinedly started the engine. “Nope. I just received a message from them that they would wait for us.”

 

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow at him, while Chanyeol concentrated on the road. “Where exactly are you taking me?”

 

Chanyeol’s face broke into a wide grin, without looking at Kyungsoo. “I told you. It’s a surprise.”

 

If Chanyeol knew the birthday boy at all, it was that Kyungsoo wasn’t that keen on being the receiving end of surprises, good or bad, especially in public. “It’s something that I know you’ll like. And we won’t stay long, since you have brunch with your parents and brother tomorrow.”

 

Kyungsoo only nodded and opted to turn on the music player on his friend’s car. He jumped out of his skin when the first sound that blasted on the speakers was his own voice, singing the bridge to “Scream” (from the “Cart” OST).

 

Kyungsoo punched Chanyeol on the arm, which caused the giraffe to guffaw.

 

“Sorry, sorry,” Chanyeol apologized, still sputtering while letting Kyungsoo select a more mellow, neutral, R&B track. “You know how much I love that song of yours.”

 

The penguin just scoffed, couldn’t fathom why Chanyeol was still listening to that almost five years on.

 

Suddenly, Chanyeol’s phone rang.

 

Chanyeol tensed up, itching to answer, but he was now on a highway and couldn’t reach for it. “Kyungsoo-yah, can you get my phone from my pocket?”

 

“Where? From your pants?” Kyungsoo asked, about to reach over.

 

Chanyeol shook his head, his left hand on the wheel, his right on the gear. “In my sweater, on my tummy.”

 

The taller one was wearing an oversized hoodie, with a huge pouch on the center.

 

Chanyeol grunted as the vibrations of the phone was making him even tenser.

 

Kyungsoo slipped his hand inside the pocket of Chanyeol’s sweater and accidentally grazed a palpable bulge in his pants, which made the taller one jerk a little.

 

“Sorry,” Kyungsoo murmured, laughing nervously. He finally took hold Chanyeol’s phone and looked at the caller ID. “Yeollie, it’s your mom.”

 

He didn’t need to be told to activate the call, putting it on loudspeaker.

 

“Omma?” Chanyeol asked worriedly.

 

“Channie,” Mrs. Park said, “I’m sorry for calling this late, but are you busy?”

 

Chanyeol glanced at Kyungsoo for a second and answered, “No, omma, what is it?”

 

“Can you come over to Gandong-gu? The movers’ truck had a slight road accident and would not be able to pick our stuff up tonight. I don’t think we’ll be able to finish everything by tomorrow if we don’t at least shift some of the boxes ourselves.”

 

“Don’t worry, omma, I’m on my way,” Chanyeol replied. “I’ll see you in about 15 minutes. Bye.”

 

Chanyeol then turned the car to the opposite direction at the first opportunity. Kyungsoo ended the call for him, placing Chanyeol’s phone on the dashboard.

 

“Sorry about this,” the giraffe told him regretfully. “I don’t have time to drop you back to the dorm.”

 

Kyungsoo shook his head, almost had the urge to reach for Chanyeol’s hand but stopped himself. “It’s okay. If your mom needs help, then we should go to her. It’s in Gangdong-gu, right?” He reached for the GPS to set it up. “What’s the address?”

 

“We’re going to Viva Polo.”

 

His mom’s restaurant? “Are they still open at this time?”

 

Chanyeol bit his lip. “Actually… Viva Polo’s contract is expiring tomorrow. My mom is closing the restaurant for good.”

 

*****

 

Kyungsoo alighted the car even before Chanyeol did, once the taller one pulled up in front of the building where the cozy Italian restaurant (an EXO/Chanyeol haven) was situated on the second floor.

 

He practically ran up to the second floor, leaving Chanyeol calling after him. He burst into the white wooden doors. “Mama Park!”

 

“Kyungsoo-yah!” Mrs. Park greeted in surprise as she put down the box she was carrying just as the young man, his son’s best friend, ran to her arms. “What are you doing here? Where’s Chanyeol?”

 

Kyungsoo was devastated at the sight of the cozy, comfy chairs turned over on the varnished, caramel tables where he spent a few times dining and bonding with the Park family during its first year of operation. “Viva Polo is closing…? Why? How?”

 

Mrs. Park smiled at him sadly, Kyungsoo’s cheek. “Well… it’s just time.” Then she remembered something. “Wait here.”

 

Kyungsoo sighed, eyes roaming around the once lively, jovial place that brought joy to EXO-Ls, within Korea and international fans too. Now, it appeared dull and empty, pieces of furniture had been removed and placed elsewhere and only a few lights were switched on.

 

Chanyeol, a little out of breath, finally managed to catch up with him. “Why are you in such a hurry?”

 

“Why didn’t I know about this?” Kyungsoo asked him softly.

 

Chanyeol looked at him, his big eyes growing tender. “I didn’t tell any of the members. My mom chose to announce it last month on the restaurant’s Facebook page.”

 

Just then, all the lights went out, swallowing them both into the darkness.

 

“What’s going on?” Chanyeol whispered in panic, immediately tugging Kyungsoo to his side as they clung to each other. “OMMA…?”

 

Kyungsoo’s and Chanyeol’s eyes grew wide as saucers as candle lights emerged from the pitch-black kitchen onto the main hall.

 

“Happy birthday to you…”

 

Then Chanyeol’s parents came forth, with Mrs. Park carrying a birthday cake and Mr. Park holding a couple of balloons and singing along with bright smiles on their faces.

 

Kyungsoo had to laugh. Why on earth did they have a birthday cake at hand? Was this the surprise Chanyeol was talking about?

 

It couldn’t be. His friend genuinely did sound concerned when his mom called for him to come over. As Chanyeol’s parents approached—with Chanyeol kissing his mom on the temple and hugging his father in greeting—Kyungsoo could see that the chocolate cake even had his name on it.

 

“Make a wish, sweetie,” Mrs. Park encouraged gently, and Kyungsoo closed his eyes.


“I wish Mama Park will never stop cooking and giving love to EXO and EXO-Ls. I wish Mama Park good health and happiness always, wherever life takes her next.” Then Kyungsoo’s eyes fluttered open and found himself right in front of Mr. Park. “And you too, abeonim.”

 

Chanyeol and his parents laughed, clapping and cheering, as Kyungsoo blew all of his candles.

 

“Yah, why did you say your wishes out loud?” Chanyeol chided. “Don’t you have even one birthday wish for yourself?”

 

“There’s nothing to wish for me,” Kyungsoo said happily, putting an arm around Mama Park’s shoulders as Chanyeol’s mom put the cake on the counter. “I’ve had a very happy and productive year.”

 

Mr. Park switched the lights back on and gave Kyungsoo the balloons, which he was thanked for. “We opened until 6 p.m. today and a few fans brought that cake, knowing that it was our last day of operation, and sang happy birthday for you. We even recorded it.” Then he proceeded to show Kyungsoo and Chanyeol the short, sweet video as Mama Park blew the candle on Kyungsoo’s behalf.

 

“Omma did that for my birthday too,” Chanyeol chimed in.

 

“Your mom did it for all EXO members’ birthdays,” Mr. Park said, laughing. “Okay, I will load some stuff into the car. Son, what car did you bring…?”

 

“The Mercedes…”

 

Mr. Park assumed his son’s fancy car’s trunk would be good enough. The bigger appliances, such as the ovens, stoves, grills, chairs and tables, would have to be hauled by the movers tomorrow. For now, they could transfer to their storage at home whatever they could carry.

 

“I’ll help your father with these boxes,” Mrs. Park told him, lifting up the box she was carrying earlier. She shook her head when Kyungsoo immediately offered to lift it for her. “It’s not heavy, sweetie, trust me. Could you boys just start taking down the pictures and the mural? And be careful with the memorabilia!”

 

The young men agreed as Chanyeol took a low stepladder to start from the top and Kyungsoo diligently worked his way from the bottom of the wall.

 

They worked silently for a few minutes, as Chanyeol couldn’t help but reminisce on the photographs, mostly of him, in all shades of hair color and contact lenses imaginable, from EXO’s concerts, albums and performances.

 

So many memories, all compressed into a blink of an eye, it seemed.

 

It was heartbreaking that this chapter of his family’s life was coming to an end, as symbolized by him taking them down and letting them fall on the open cardboard box to be kept in storage.

 

Just then, he heard Kyungsoo chuckling, so he looked down from his perch.

 

Kyungsoo, with his heart-shaped smile, showed Chanyeol a picture of him at around 7 or 8 years old. “Even then, your elf ears were always sticking out.”

 

 

Chanyeol touched his right ear, suddenly self-conscious and blushing bright red. “There’s no doubt that was me.” He returned to removing the concert pictures, turning a little subdued once again. “Kyungsoo… I’m sorry we have to spend the night like this.”

 

“What are you talking about? You mean, this isn’t your surprise to me?”

 

When the giraffe was about to protest, he was greeted with Kyungsoo’s laughter. “I’m kidding, Chanyeollie. Of course, I’m glad to help. Your parents have always treated me like a part of your family. It’s only right I am here for them, as they have been there for me.”

 

For some reason, Chanyeol’s face felt warm, as a small smile spread across his lips. He looked at Kyungsoo fondly taking down EXO memories from the wall, one by one, with utmost care, as if the place was his own too. “You know they love you as much as…”

 

Suddenly, Kyungsoo looked up at him.

 

“…I…” Chanyeol faltered, at a loss for words.

 

His gaze drank in the sight of his penguin, looking so beautiful to him at that moment. From Kyungsoo’s clean-cut black hair, his huge doe-like eyes, thick, thick eyebrows, his squishy cheeks, and those plump, lovely lips…

 

“…do…doo, doo, doo…” Chanyeol hummed tonelessly, attempting to return to the task at hand.

 

What was that all about?

 

Was he confessing?

 

Confessing what?

 

He felt cold sweat trickling down the sides of his face, and it wasn’t particularly warm in the room. “Doo, doo, doo…”

 

Then Chanyeol felt a sharp poke at his ribs, and then another.

 

“Are you rapping? What did you say just now?” Kyungsoo asked him, tickling him merciless that it caused Chanyeol to lose his balance from the stepladder and Kyungsoo scrambling to try and catch him.

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened in horror as Chanyeol’s bigger and more muscular form was about to fall on top of him, but Chanyeol tried to cower over him instead, landing on his elbows on both side of Kyungsoo, so as not to crush his penguin with his weight, all in that microsecond.

 

When Chanyeol opened his eyes, he found Kyungsoo staring up wide-eyed at him, with Kyungsoo’s back on the floor.

 

Chanyeol quickly checked Kyungsoo’s face and neck for any visible scratches, asking in worry, “Does something hurt?”

 

Kyungsoo could only shake his head, watching Chanyeol’s handsome face hovering over him and grazing his cheeks with his large, gentle hands.

 

In relief, Chanyeol rolled off Kyungsoo and stretched out on the floor next to him, exhaustion suddenly filling every cell and nerve of his body. He felt like he could sleep right here, and not move a muscle.

 

Might not be a bad idea, overall, since Viva Polo was still technically under the Parks’ lease until tomorrow.

 

Kyungsoo, with his eyes closed, was still curious—and he had the right to be. “What was the surprise that you wanted to give me tonight?”

 

Chanyeol’s face cracked into a defeated smile, placing a hand over his toned stomach, and stealing a glance at him. “Ah… I rented out the Planetarium for the night.”

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes flew open. “What?”

 

His smile grew broader, but only slightly. “I told you I saw shooting stars when I was at the mountains in Japan, right?”

 

Kyungsoo nodded. “And I said I’ve never seen shooting stars in my life.”

 

“Well, you would have… if everything had gone according to plan. Then you could have as many birthday wishes as you want, while we watch a continuous flow of meteor showers.” Chanyeol lowered his eyes, suddenly shy, as Kyungsoo’s gaze on him softened. “I mean, it’s not the real thing… but…”

 

“Hope you get your deposit back,” Kyungsoo joked instead.

 

Chanyeol only chuckled, propping himself up to his elbows, turning to face him, just as Kyungsoo, unknowingly, was doing the same thing.

 

They ended up with their noses almost brushing, just a couple of inches from each other.

 

Chanyeol and Kyungsoo looked into the other’s eyes, filled with shock, wonder and everything else in between.

 

Nearly a decade had gone by since they first met.

 

As SM trainees.

 

As EXO members.

 

As roommates.

 

As friends.

 

As the best of friends.

 

From pranking each other (Well, mostly him as the initiator and Kyungsoo giving him the attention he craved in the form of hitting…) to Kyungsoo expecting his pranks and pranking him in return, to simply enjoying each other’s company, to giving each other soundwave rings (He still kept his in a box… One day, he will ask Kyungsoo where his was…), to covering countless acoustic songs together (Kyungsoo’s velvety vocals alongside his lower register and his guitar accompaniment was definitely their strength, a match made in heaven), to being confidants... their bickering and misunderstandings over the years… their boisterous laughter until they couldn’t breathe… the tears and frustration, both off and on stage… each other’s absence when they committed to individual projects… that time they grew apart, only to come together again, stronger than ever…

 

So many feelings.

 

They came crashing down on Chanyeol all at once, that he believed, at that moment, he would spontaneously combust and just… evaporate.

 

SO.

 

MUCH.

 

LOVE.

 

“W-We could…” Chanyeol whispered, as Kyungsoo’s gaze followed the subtle movement of his mouth as he tried to form the words, “…reschedule.”

 

He saw Kyungsoo gulping a lump in his throat, as his favorite person in the whole wide world—his soulmate—just continued to stare at his anticipating lips…

 

As if…

 

Did he…

 

Would he…

 

That small, heart-shaped mouth of Kyungsoo’s was so, so, so near, Chanyeol couldn’t see straight.

 

What would it feel like if he…

 

Should Chanyeol…

 

Kyungsoo seemed to read his thoughts and started to lean in slowly.

 

Viva Polo’s doors creaked open and the boys jumped apart, their hearts hammering inside their chest.

 

Chanyeol got up first, offering his clammy hand to Kyungsoo.

 

His penguin, thoroughly flustered, accepted it and rose to his feet as well.

 

“Can you help your dad load some of the boxes into your car, Channie?” Mrs. Park said, entering the hall. “Are you boys done here?”

 

Chanyeol briefly met Kyungsoo’s eyes, and then answered his mom in embarrassment as more than half of the EXO/Chanyeol mural was still up on the wall. “Not quite.”

 

Just as Chanyeol passed by him to join his dad downstairs, Kyungsoo caught Chanyeol’s left hand and gave it a soft squeeze.

 

Chanyeol gave him a tender smile and jogged downstairs as Kyungsoo and Mrs. Park eagerly caught up chatting with each other, doing a much more efficient job at taking down the mural and sweeping up the floor afterwards.

 

An hour and a half-eaten chocolate birthday cake later, the Parks and Kyungsoo wistfully closed the doors of the Italian café/restaurant that sweet Mama Park gave so much life, love and light to.

 

Long live, Viva Polo.

 

 

The end.