END

The King & The Fine Art Student

I will fly to the moon and back if you’ll be my baby. Gotta ticket in the world that we belong, so won’t you be my baby?

 

Every single day, I will watch her running through the school gate with her best friend. She’s never early. She’s always late. But she gets away all the time. Because she’s the heart throb in the school and her best friend is the school belle.

 

Everybody loves them. They worship the couple so much. But they were never an item. Because I know the school belle is dating some other person. Some girl by the name of Chorong. They are the well-known couple in school.

 

My heart throb’s name is Moon Byulyi. She’s also known as Moonbyul or some foreign students call her Moonstar. She’s tall and slender. She has the cutest bunny teeth and her wrinkled nose whenever she laughs. She has greasy moves but that make the girls fall in love with her.

 

And I’m one of the girls for sure. But I’m a freaking nerd. I wear baggy jeans; long-sleeves top that looks like a table cloth and a funny looking fishing hat that makes me look so hideous. I study Arts; I love paintings and I’m extremely shy; the epitome of anti-social idiot who cannot even smile at some strangers because I get so self-conscious with my own self.

 

And Moonbyul hardly looks at me. She only looks at beautiful girls. Her best friend, Kim Yongsun is beautiful. And Yongsun’s girlfriend is equally beautiful. They are always together and there is this tanned looking girl who’s always around Moonbyul. She’s touchy and extremely dangerously y for my own comfort.

 

How can I even get this woman’s attention in the first place when she’s surrounded by these flowers? I’m such a sore-eye.

 

Then one day, something happened. It was a little unusual but that was the only time Moonstar noticed me.

 

-

 

2 months ago, our university organized a singing competition. It was called Campus Idol or something. Every department had to participate. Every class had to submit a name as the representative. You see, I’m under Fine Arts. A bunch of us can only paint. We paint for a living. And we can get eccentric at one point.

 

My lecturer had a hard time when she received the notification. The co-ordinator of this competition was a hard core.

 

“Taeyeon, you don’t have much choice.”

 

“Tiffany Hwang, you’re the death of me.”

 

“Idiot. You can be their representative if you want. You can sing.”

 

“I’m a lecturer, not a student. How am I supposed to choose?”

 

“Listen, your students may be eccentric but I’m pretty sure one of them can sing. Oh come on, this is my first ever event and you’re my muse. Can you just support me?”

 

“You’re so dead at home, tonight in bed.”

 

“Stop it! We’re in school!”

 

The two lecturers were whispering but Miss Kim was standing right in front of me. Miss Kim appeared to be weird but she’s a flirt. I have never seen Miss Hwang’s face that red before. I was pretty sure either way, both might die in bed, tonight.

 

But for now, I was the dead one. Miss Kim decided to pull out a name from the box. She had gathered all our names and did a lucky draw stint.

 

“And the lucky one is JUNG WHEEIN!”

 

I think I blinked my eyes a couple of times. I was in total disbelief. How rotten my luck was! The whole lecturer room was happy for me. , of course you would be happy. YOU WERE NOT SELECTED!

 

“Wheein ah, come on in front. Let everyone know who you are. You people have been in the same room for the last 8 months but I’m pretty sure you know nothing about each other.”

 

Miss Kim rolled her eyes when she saw some heads bobbing. What could she expect from a class of eccentric people? But nevertheless, I couldn’t escape reality. This was going to be my plight.

 

I got up from my seat and made my way to the front. Eyes were on me. And I just realized, there were only 10 of us. 5 guys and 5 girls. My class was this small all the time? I need to pay attention sometimes.

 

“Okay, class. This is Jung Wheein. She’s 24 years old. And she’s my top student. She’s amazing with colours.”

 

“We know her name, Miss Kim. We have seen her paintings displayed around the school hall. But never really seen the person.”

 

“How on earth can you not get curious to see the person with the name of Jung Wheein?”

 

“We don’t even know each other in this class. I think we just prefer to graduate our course and do something in life.”

 

I think Miss Kim mumbled something.

 

“Okay, I think I can understand. I was once like that. But nevertheless, let’s welcome Wheein!”

 

Everyone clapped. I got nervous. I was squeezing the edge of my shirt. I could rip it apart if I were not careful. I stood at the front; I looked around me. Curious eyes were staring at me and I was pretty sure a boy just winked at me. Who the hell are you? Why are you winking at me for?

 

Miss Kim explained the whole Campus Idol concept with us. She apologized for doing this, but she wasn’t left with much choice. Eventually, she gave me the microphone.

 

“Can you sing, sweetie?”

 

Miss Kim smiled at me. I think my mouth was open slightly. I was a little mesmerised by her smile for a second.

 

“Wheein?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Can you sing?”

 

“I’m not too sure but I can give it a try.”

 

“I like your confidence. Maybe you can sing for me?”

 

“I heard from Miss Hwang. You can sing too?”

 

Miss Kim was taken aback. She was probably wondering if I knew about her flirting with Miss Hwang. But I didn’t wait for her to reply. I shoved the microphone back at her.

 

“You want me to sing?”

 

“Yeah, maybe I will be more inclined to sing if you do.”

 

“Right, that’s fair enough.”

 

Miss Kim then turned behind her table and pulled out something. It looked like an acoustic guitar.

 

“I will sing. Then after this, you sing.”

 

Miss Kim was no longer Miss Kim, the lecturer. She sat at the edge of the table; guitar comfortably on her thigh and the way she strummed the strings – everyone was hypnotized.

 

Then she started singing. The time stopped. Everyone was stunned in silence. I was stumped.

 

찢어진 종잇조각에
담아낸 나의 진심에
선명해져 somethin’ bout you
나를 많이 닮은 다른
혹시 나와 같을까 지금
괜한 기대를

 

하루 년쯤 되면
서로 다른 일상을 살아가

 

나는 아니야
쉽지 않을 같아
여전하게도 하루하루를 채우고
아직은 아니야
바보처럼 되뇌는
입가에 맴도는 말을 삼킬 없어
It’s not fine
It’s not fine

 

머릴 질끈 묶은
어지러운 방을 정리해
찾고 있어 something new


가끔 이렇게 감당할 없는
뭐라도 해야 것만 같은 기분에
괜히 움직이곤

 

하루 그쯤이면
웃으며 추억할 거라 했지만

 

나는 아니야
쉽지 않을 같아
여전하게도 하루하루를 채우고
아직은 아니야
바보처럼 되뇌는
입가에 맴도는 말을 삼킬 없어
It’s not fine (It’s not fine)
It’s not…

 

What the hell just happened?

 

Miss Kim was singing. Her melodious voice was so soothing in my ears. She was a goddess. She was such a girl crush. Dammit.  Miss Kim could be a singer. Why was she a lecturer again?

 

“How was that?”

 

The class applauded heartily. I was still stunned. How can I win that?

 

“Wheein, is your confidence back?”

 

“I…. think so.”

 

“Now, let’s hear you sing.”

 

“But I’m not as good as you.”

 

“It’s okay. We have to start somewhere.”

 

“Yeah, Wheein. Don’t worry. We will be fine if we don’t win anyway.”

 

Someone from the audience spoke out and the rest nodded along. We all knew we wouldn’t be recognized anyway.

 

“Okay then.”

 

“Do you need the microphone?”

 

“No, not necessary. I will just sing without anything.”

 

So, I stood in front of my lecture hall. My uni mates were staring at me; Miss Kim was smiling widely at me. Geez.

 

I cleared my throat and started singing.

 

-

 

 

“Can you stop pacing up and down the room? You’re driving me nuts.”

 

Yongsun was rolling her eyes when her best friend refused to stop despite her warning.

 

“Moon Byulyi! Stop it!”

 

“I cannot help it! Miss Hwang is doing this on purpose!”

 

“She chose you to sing because you CAN sing.”

 

“Kim Yongsun, I’m a rapper.”

 

“Moon Byulyi, I’m a girl.”

 

“That’s not the point!”

 

“Shut up and stop worrying. Hwasa can help you out.”

 

“That’s right! I go find her!”

 

Moonbyul ran out of the lecture hall; leaving Yongsun alone. She ran past the cafeteria and up the stairs. Hwasa must be hiding in the music room again. That woman is probably with her boyfriend, Loco.

 

But Moonbyul stopped when she heard a sweet melodious voice coming out from the Arts Faculty. She frowned.

 

“Isn’t this the Art Faculty?”

 

But nevertheless, Moonbyul roamed around the faculty; searching for the voice. It was too sweet; it was extremely beautiful.

 

“Whose singing?”

 

She walked past the lecturers’ office and then at the corner of the hallway, there was a small lecture hall. Arts Faculty has different departments but the number of students that major in Fine Art was the lowest. Basically, they paint or draw things or having portfolios. It was rather boring that was the reason why it wasn’t a popular course for the Arts Faculty.

 

Moonbyul majors in Mass Communication. She’s in particularly interested in film directing. Yongsun is in applied music and Hwasa is into Journalism. All of them are Mass Communication students so she hardly knows anyone from the Fine Arts faculty.

 

Eventually the girl managed to find the owner of the voice. She was wearing baggy pants; long-sleeves checkered shirt and a funny looking fishing hat. Her face was overpowered by her hat and Moonbyul struggled to look at the person carefully.

 

“Who is this girl?”

 

Moonbyul whispered softly. The girl was singing. Her pitch was perfect; her rhythm was good; her articulation was explicitly distinctive. Moonbyul was hypnotized by her singing voice.

 

“Damn. She’s good.”

 

-

 

“Wow, you found someone!”

 

“Fany, she’s really good!”

 

“See, I told you! Wow, she’s pretty too.”

 

“She’s my student.”

 

“Tae, you have to be kidding me.”

 

“What?”

 

“Why you are jealous over your student!?”

 

“Right. Jung Wheein is definitely not your type.”

 

“My type? I fell for you. You’re equally eccentric.”

 

“Shut up.”

 

“Register her now.”

 

“Already did. I think my faculty can win this year.”

 

“Good luck, Tae Tae!”

 

-

 

“Baby, did you hear?”

 

“Huh? What is it?”

 

“There’s a girl from Fine Arts who has a voice of an angel.”

 

“I thought you’re the one?”

 

“Stop making me shy. I’m serious. I think Moonbyul was the one who took the video of her singing.”

 

“Oh, you’re referring to the painter?”

 

“She’s a painter?!”

 

“That painting of the school garden in the school hall – that belongs to that same girl.”

 

“Woo, she’s talented!”

 

“Park Chorong, I’m your girlfriend.”

 

“Kim Yongsun, I’m still yours. Can you stop being so insecure?”

 

-

 

“I need to find this girl!”

 

“Moonbyul, what did I say about spreading a video of a stranger? Did you ask her permission?”

 

“Hwasa, I didn’t spread something stupid. She’s really good in singing!”

“STILL! You still need to seek her permission!”

 

“Fine, I’ll ask her now.”

 

“You’re hopeless. I hope she screams at you.”

 

“Shut up.”

 

-

 

I couldn’t eat in peace. Everyone was staring at me. Everybody was curiously watching me and my every move. What the hell did I do? I was about to take a bite of my noodles when someone tapped on my back. I looked over my shoulder. A guy was smiling gleefully at me.

 

“Are you the painter?”

 

“I’m sorry?”

 

“Did you paint the school compound? I saw the painting in the school hall.”

 

“Ah yes, that’s my painting. But do I know you?”

 

“Wow, it’s really you! Guys, this is her!”

 

I was a little stunned at the sudden reception. All the students in the cafeteria surrounded me. They were asking me questions; weird questions. Why, out of sudden, these people were so interested in my paintings?

 

“So, you’re a Fine Art student. You’re really wasting your talent!”

 

What on earth was this ty talking about?

 

“This is you, right?”

 

He suddenly shoved his phone into my hand. Someone was singing who sounded a lot like me. Wait, that someone wore the same thing as me.  NO WAY! THAT CANNOT BE! HEY, THAT SOMEONE IS ME!

 

“Where did you get this from?”

 

“It’s all over the school’s bulletin. You’re famous now!”

 

“All over where?!”

 

“Jung Wheein, you have to join the Campus Idol. We will be rooting for you!”

 

Suddenly a group of girls appeared in front of me. They looked unhappy. For whatever reason? I have no idea why.

 

“What? Aren’t you going to support Yongsun?”

 

“Yongsun’s good but I think this girl can win!”

 

“Just because she caught the eye of the heartthrob, doesn’t mean she’s good!”

 

“Yeah! Look at her dressing! She’s so hideous!”

 

WHAT WAS GOING ON?!

 

-

 

Moonbyul ran around the campus. She had to find the mysterious girl. She saw the comments on the video. Some were supportive, but majority was making fun of the girl. Apparently, her fashion sense was natively rural. She saw many negative comments.

 

Just then her phone rang. She rolled her eyes. Yongsun unnie was going to scold the crap out of her.

 

“MOON BYULYI! SEE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!”

 

“Yongsun unnie, I know. I’m searching for the girl.”

 

“You know your fan club is filled with mean haters. She’s going to get hate for nothing!”

 

“I will find her. Don’t worry.”

 

“Hwasa said she’s at the cafeteria. That poor girl is being attacked by your fan club president. Get there now!”

 

Moonbyul hung up almost instantly. She was running at a full speed. Her fan club president can get insane sometimes.

 

“. This is so wrong.”

 

-

 

I found myself being pulled and thrown into the ditch. The bunch of girls grabbed me by the hair and I still couldn’t understand what I did wrong.

 

“Just because you can sing, you think you can do anything you like?”

 

Wait a second now. I had no idea what happened. Who the hell uploaded that video onto the school bulletin board?

 

“Don’t you dare come close to our King!”

 

King? Just then, I saw the name on their polo tee. MOONSTAR FAN CLUB. MOONSTAR. Moonbyul? Moon Byulyi?

 

“Stop it!”

 

Someone screamed from a distance. I couldn’t recognize this person though. And I was really surprised at how she squared up in front of me. Her eyes were menacingly glaring at the bullies.

 

“Hwasa-nim.”

 

“Hwasa-nim? Since when I’m your older sister? You’re older than me, aren’t you?”

 

“But you’re the King’s friend.”

 

“Geez. Moonbyul and her stupid fans. Anyway, what the hell are you doing here? Why are you terrorizing this girl?”

 

“She’s so hideous!”

 

“What does that gotta do with you?”

 

“Who does she think she is, getting close to our King?!”

 

“Excuse me. Your KING is the one who uploaded her video without her permission. If you want to find fault over that, go find your King!”

 

So, the King is Moonbyul. But since when she saw me singing?! I was still dumbfounded with everything around me. And why was this girl protecting me for?

 

“But Hwasa-nim..”

 

“IM NOT YOUR HWASA NIM!”

 

“HWASA!”

 

“MOON BYULYI, YOU BETTER GET YOUR HERE BEFORE I THROW AT YOU!”

 

I looked up immediately and I saw her running towards our direction. She was anxious and somehow nervous. She seems worried too. And the way she rushed to us; she was like a shining knight; trying to save his damsel in distress. She was probably concerned with Hwasa-nim, her good friend.

 

“Hey, are you alright?”

 

Wait. She’s talking to me?

 

“Wheein-shi, are you okay?”

 

She looked at me; straight into my eyes. Her eyes were a little downcast; like as though she was extremely worried about me. And I was still dumbstruck. Not sure if this was a dream or hallucination.

 

“How can she be okay? Look at her elbow and knees. They are scrapped.”

 

Both of us looked at my knees; they were bleeding. She then grabbed my arm and looked at my elbow. Okay, that one was bleeding even more.

 

“HEY, YOU’RE BLEEDING!”

 

Without any warning, she lifted me up in her arms and ran down the hallway. Everything happened so fast; so rush and I couldn’t even understand what happened.

 

“Hang on, I will get you to the clinic.”

 

“Wait, wait. I’m fine. It’s just bleeding a little.”

 

“But your knees are scrapped too.”

 

“Yeah, but I don’t think I require much medical attention for such mishaps. Put me down; I can just wash it off with water.”

 

“Okay, I bring you to the washroom.”

 

Okay, stubborn mule. But boy, she could really run. We managed to reach the washroom safely. She gently placed me on the drier part of the sink. She pulled out a couple of toilet paper and let the water run on it.

 

I just stupidly watched her.

 

“This might sting.”

 

. HURT LIKE HELL. I hissed in pain and she looked up instantly. She held the wet tissue back. She looked on worriedly.

 

“It hurts, right? Told you, you probably need some medical attention.”

 

“It will hurt at the first touch of water. That’s a natural reaction. But see, it’s okay now. The bleeding has stopped.”

 

I grabbed my mini first aid box that I usually brought it along with me from my bag. I took out some cotton wool and antiseptic. Mom said it is wise to have such first aid box; knowing how clumsy I could get at times.

 

But even before I could do anything, she grabbed them from my hands. And then she smiled.

 

“I’ll do it. Just sit still.”

 

This was probably a dream that I could wake up from at any time of the day. Moon Byulyi was in front of me; treating my wounds. She shouldn’t have done this. It was not her fault.

 

“It’s my fault.”

 

What? Did I just say that out loud?

 

“I shouldn’t have just uploaded that file of your singing on the school’s bulletin board. I should have been more sensitive.”

 

So, it was her. But how? I summoned all of my courage and spoke up softly.

 

“When did you hear me sing?”

 

“You were singing at the front of your lecture hall. I happened to walk past and I heard your voice at first.”

 

“But why?”

 

“Why what?”

 

“Why did you take that video of me?”

 

“You sound really great. I was taken aback at how beautiful your voice is.”

 

“Liar.”

 

“No, it’s the truth! Look, I didn’t mean to hurt you. I mean I never thought I could get you into trouble like this. I realize my stupidity now.”

 

She was cleaning my wounds before putting band aids on my knees and elbow. I was still staring at her; not knowing how to react. My heart was beating so hard against my chest. I swear, she could have heard it.

 

When everything was over; she slowly looked up and met my eyes. Her gaze was tender; gentle and somehow me in. I had to look away; my cheeks were burning up.

 

But something happened. I couldn’t even response properly.

 

“Wow, you’re really beautiful.”

 

“Excuse me?”

 

She then placed her palms on both sides of my thighs. I was still sitting on the sink while she leaned closer and closer. I pushed myself backwards until my back hits the mirror.

 

Her lips were slightly open; but her eyes fixated on me. I tried to move but her hands were suddenly on my lap; pinning me down.

 

“What are you trying to do now?”

 

I managed to speak up; fighting all my will to kiss her. She doesn’t know me. She couldn’t probably know me.

 

“I don’t know. I have no idea who you are and where you are from. But I had a done a research on you.”

 

“Research?”

 

Alarmingly surprised. Why would one do a research on another?

 

“I found out who you are this morning. Your name is Jung Wheein, you’re 24 years old and your date of birth is on 17 April. You’re the only child and you have a pet cat named Ggomo. You came from Jeonju and has been studying in Seoul. Your talent is your painting and now, your beautiful singing voice.”

 

Dammit. What the hell. She’s scary.

 

“How do you know so much about me? Wait, why are you even doing research on me for?”

 

“I wanted to know the real person behind that beautiful voice.”

 

“You’re not answering my question, Moon Byulyi. That’s not an answer.”

 

She looked away for a brief second before she realized what she was doing. She backed away immediately and I had the chance to get down on my feet. Crap, did you have to be this tall?

 

“I’m sorry. I don’t know why.”

 

“Then it’s better to leave it as it is. And I need to go now.”

 

“Wait, are you offended?
 

“No, I’m just afraid. You know too much and it’s just creepy.”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s okay. I think I better go now.”

 

She didn’t say anything. She moved away and I grabbed my stuffs before running out of the washroom.

 

I wasn’t too sure what I was supposed to do but maybe I should leave to clear my mind a little. I mean, I like her but she’s too weird.

 

-

 

The next day, Miss Kim approached me after our lecture. She must have found out what happened.

 

“Wheein ah, are you alright?”

She saw my band aids on my knees and elbow. I reassured her that I was fine.  She nodded; relieved somehow.

 

“I had a talk with Miss Hwang. And I know what’s happening in the campus. If you find it uncomfortable to continue with the competition, you can back out. Miss Hwang said it’s okay.”

 

“I don’t have the intention to back out. I mean I was just surprised with the current situation but I’m fine now.”

 

“Are you sure? Miss Hwang said she will apply for protection order.”

 

I laughed a little. Is Miss Hwang even serious about that? I’m not even a star.

 

“I think I can take care of myself. You don’t have to worry.”

 

Miss Kim nodded. I’m a big kid and I think she’s fully aware of that too. But she did mention to call her immediately if I require assistance. I thanked her for her good intentions but nevertheless took down her mobile number.

 

I went off to the cafeteria after that; I saw at the back where there were less students. I wasn’t in the mood to be surrounded by strangers again. Yesterday’s encounter was not a good one.

 

Sigh. Talking about yesterday upset me. I ran away from Moon Byulyi because I thought she was creepy. I ran away from my own crush. How stupid was that?

 

And I was pretty sure she wouldn’t want to talk to me again.

 

“Hi!”

 

What the hell. Moon Byulyi!

 

“How are you today?”

 

She was smiling widely. She stood in front of me; hands full of things. Or rather, she was holding a tray with lots of food.

 

“Mind if I sit here?”

 

“Sure.”

 

I wasn’t certain what I should say. But seeing her here once again surprised me. She quickly took her seat in front of me; then placing things on my side.

 

Banana milk; two hard-boiled eggs and ham sandwich – she placed them nicely in front of me. She took out the same items and put them in front of her. Then she looked at me; earnestly.

 

This girl is confusing me even more.

 

“What is this?”

 

“Breakfast.”

 

“For me?”

 

“For you and me!”

 

“Are you Moonbyul?”

 

“What? I cannot buy breakfast for a pretty girl?”

 

I choked on my own saliva. WHAT THE HELL.

 

“I told you before yesterday. You’re beautiful.”

 

“But I did call you a creeper.”

 

“I am. I admit that. But I’m not going to hide it. I want to be your friend.”

 

My jaw was wide open.  Kill me. Just kill me.

 

“And you’re not going to run away from me this time.”

 

-

 

Yongsun was reading her magazine when Hwasa joined her at the table. She looked around; realizing someone was missing.

 

“Where’s that idiot?”

 

“Moonbyul? She’s going to make friends with Wheein.”

 

“She’s what?”

 

“I think that girl fascinates her.”

 

“Unnie, you’re kidding.”

 

“No, I wasn’t. She brought her breakfast and has been sitting at her table for the longest time.”

 

Yongsun gestured to where Moonbyul was. Hwasa’s mouth was wide open.

 

“Tell me about it. This is the first time I have seen Moonbyul getting so excited about a girl.”

 

“She was worried for her too. The girl got injured.”

 

“Her fan club president really went hard on Wheein huh?”

 

“Not really but Moonbyul was certainly worried. I have never seen her frown so much before.”

 

Yongsun then looked away from her magazine before staring into Moonbyul’s direction. She remembered how her best friend was heartbroken when her previous girlfriend dumped her for someone else.

 

Moonbyul then stopped having serious relationships and prefers flings. She wasn’t serious with any of the girls she went out with. Still, these girls allowed themselves to become fools for this woman.

 

But not this time. Moonbyul was troubled and bothered last night. It was the first time Yongsun saw her in that manner.

 

“What is wrong?”

 

“Unnie, I’m bothered with my actions.”

 

“You’re a jerk sometimes.”

 

“I know but this time, I’m troubled. She said I’m a creeper.”

 

“You are.”

 

“Yongsun unnie, you’re not helping.”

 

“You need to admit you can be a jerk sometimes. But what you did was wrong. And now you’re feeling guilty because you hurt that girl?”

 

Moonbyul nodded. Yongsun was surprised.

 

“Wait, you’re feeling bothered because you hurt the girl? Is that why you’re so restless right now?”

 

“More than restless. I don’t feel like losing this girl.”

 

“ARE YOU IN LOVE?!”

 

“No, not yet but I have the biggest interest in her.”

 

“You’re in love.”

 

“UNNIE!”

 

“Okay, on the way to falling in love. Byul ah, you like this girl?”

 

“She doesn’t seem to like me at all.”

 

“You brat. You think everyone likes you?!”

 

“No, I don’t mean that way! I mean she seems normal. Her actions; her words and how she looks at me. I know she likes me to a certain extent but whatever I did to her; she has second thoughts now.”

 

“What makes you sure she likes you?”

 

“I could see she was trying so hard not to kiss me.”

 

“You’re so full of yourself.”

 

“Unnie, you can sense such things.”

 

“Well, you have screwed yourself up this time. What are you going to do now?”

 

“I’m going to make friends with her. I will show her the real Moon Byulyi.”

 

“Moonbyul the jerk or Moonbyul the romantic ?”

 

“Moonbyul the romantic .”

 

She’s in love. Moonbyul’s in love. And Yongsun encouraged her to. It was time for this woman to stop being a Casanova and have someone to look after her somehow.

 

Byul ah, I hope you find love this time.

 

-

 

“The next singer is Jung Wheein from the Fine Arts Faculty! I think she’s already popular even before the competition but nevertheless, let’s welcome her up to the stage!”

 

Moonbyul stood right at the front. She was one of the competitors, but she wanted to watch Wheein’s performance. Yongsun and Hwasa were with her. They had never seen their friend being so excited.

 

“She’s up! She’s up!”

 

“Moonbyul, stop it! You’re embarrassing us!”

 

“You should listen to her voice, live. The video doesn’t do her justice!”

 

“Okay, but at least tone it down! You look like a choding now!”

 

Hwasa struggled to hold Moonbyul down and Yongsun kept shaking her head in embarrassment. This was crazy. But Moonbyul’s eyes were fixated on Wheein. Wheein saw her; she smiled.

 

“JUNG WHEEIN! JUNG WHEEIN!”

 

She started screaming. But not for long, Hwasa stuffed her bread into Moonbyul’s mouth. Wheein was stunned at first but chuckled softly. She then took her stand; Miss Kim was with her on the stage. She was going to be her accompanist.

 

She confidently stood in front of the stage. She wasn’t wearing her baggy clothes anymore. The fishing hat was off the track. Hwasa forbade her from wearing that hat anymore.  Yeah, Hwasa became her fashion adviser while Yongsun did her make-up.

 

Wheein had never been pampered in her whole entire life before.  Wheein never thought she would have friends in the first place. It was because of Moonbyul that she has new friends.

 

-

 

“Jung Wheein!”

 

Ever since the day I allowed Moonbyul to enter my life as a friend; she has been bothering me so much. She wouldn’t let me do things on my own. I felt like I have lost my freedom.

 

“WHEEIN AH!”

 

I ignored her calls. I wasn’t embarrassed of her, but I needed time alone. This woman couldn’t get it. But I did slow down in my movements to allow her to catch up with me. She eventually did.

 

“Gotcha!”

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“I was bored so I came over to keep you company!”

 

“You’re bored. But I’m not bored.”

 

“I was but not anymore.”

 

“You’re contradicting!”

 

“No, I’m not bored anymore because I have you!”

 

My heart skipped a beat. Since that morning breakfast; she told me she wanted to be my friend. She was sincere enough to win me over; hell, she already had my heart. I was just playing hard to get.

 

Then slowly, Moonbyul brought me to her friends – Yongsun unnie and Hwasa-nim. Well, Hwasa’s same as me but I still call her Hwasa-nim. She somehow likes that. They changed my fashion style. Fishing hat was the first to go off. Hwasa-nim hates it.

 

“Why did you ask her to get rid of the hat?”

 

“She’s beautiful without it.”

 

“She is still beautiful with it.”

 

Moonbyul said weird things that made my heart flutter all the time. Sometimes she just said it without knowing how much it affected me. The density of this woman was just another level. Hwasa-nim warned me before.

 

“You don’t say such things in front of the girl like that.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“Look at Wheein’s cheeks.”

 

Moonbyul turned to look; Yongsun unnie was staring at me. Then that mischievous grin came on. But Moonbyul was oblivious.

 

“Her cheeks are cute and chubby. I want to bite them sometimes.”

 

GOOD GRIEF.

 

“MOONBYUL! STOP FLIRTING IN FRONT OF US! JUST BECAUSE OUR OTHER HALVES NOT HERE, YOU DON’T HAVE TO SHOW OFF!”

 

“WHAT I DO?!”

 

“WHEEIN, ARE YOU OKAY?!”

 

I think I fainted or something. Moonbyul, that dense idiot. How could she just confess things like that?

 

-

 

I was working late on my painting one afternoon. It was almost 7pm and I was still in the room; trying to beautify my painting. It was one of those school projects that we had to complete.

 

Miss Kim has left for the day. Miss Hwang was in the room with us earlier on and Miss Kim was bothered with the way Miss Hwang was staring at her. I swear. I never seen two lecturers flirt with each other before. These two were the first.

 

So, I had to shoo Miss Kim home so that she could do something; anything with Miss Hwang. It didn’t take long; within seconds; both left me alone in the room.

 

It was 7.15pm and my surroundings were getting darker by the minute. It was getting late and I had to get home soon. I started packing up my stuffs; throwing out the colored water in the tub and washed my brushes clean.

 

Then someone appeared at my door step. Moon Byulyi.


“What are you doing here?”

 

“Miss Hwang texted me. She said you’re alone.”

 

“Miss Hwang?”

 

“Never mind about that. Are you done?”

 

Miss Hwang texted her. Why would she text her? Was it because we are friends now? Moon Byulyi was acting like a girlfriend nowadays.

 

She even picked up my bag. I was about to stop her when she smiled at me.

 

“You’re so small.”

 

“What is that supposed to mean?”

 

“I just feel like carrying it for you.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Stop asking. Now let’s go.”

 

She closed the art room. She threw the bag pack over her shoulders; and then grabbed my hand and moved me out of the hall. She never let go of my hand until we reached the car park.

 

“Wait here.”

 

“Where are you going? The bus stop is there.”

 

“No, I’m sending you home so wait here.”

 

I waited though being sceptical of this woman. I was suspicious; wary yet I wanted to know what she had in store for me. My contradicting heart – what the hell you want?

 

Then a car stopped in front of me. And she stepped out immediately. I stared at her.

 

“Get in.”

 

“Is this your car?”

 

“Yeah, well actually it belongs to my sister. I borrowed it. But anyway, let’s go. I send you home.”

So, I got into her car; and she drove me home. It was a little quiet in the car and I caught her glancing to my side a couple of times. But when I looked at her, she would turn away. She did that like 50 times before I finally stopped her.

 

“What is it?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Why do you keep glancing to my side?”

 

She sighed before she turned to face me fully. I just realized we were at the beach instead of my place.

 

“What are we doing here?”

 

“I will send you home, I promise.”

 

“Yes I know. I mean you have to. But why are we here?”

 

“How long we have known each other?”

 

“About 2-3 months.”

 

“How do you find me?”

 

Attractive. Cute. Handsome. Pretty. Everything that I desire.

 

“Annoying; clingy and creepy.”

 

She frowned. And I wanted so bad to kiss her. I bit my tongue really hard.

 

“Really? Is that how you see me?”

 

I looked at her; she sounded upset. No, more like she was disappointed. And I felt bad.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“I mean, your first impression of me is really disastrous. I didn’t know I had so many bad points.”

 

No, you don’t. You scored a heart with me. I was just kidding.

 

“No, that’s not true.”

 

“But you have only mentioned the bad points of me for as long as I remember.”

 

“Why is my first impression of you meant so much?”

 

“Because I like you.”

 

My heart skipped many beats. I thought I could die. I was just staring at her.

 

“I mean I like you, like you that type. You’re on my mind from the first time I heard your voice. That’s how special you are. I don’t even care how you look. I just fell in love with your voice.”

 

She pouted her lips. Her words were sincere. I could see that clearly in her eyes.

 

“And when people started saying bad things of you because of the stupid video I uploaded; I felt at my worst. I wanted to kill myself for being so stupid. They don’t even know you yet they said mean things. That’s why I wanted to rectify our relationship so badly.”

 

Now I understood why she was being nice to me. Why she tended to my wounds. Why she didn’t give up despite me shrugging her off for being a creep. Why she was always there whenever I needed someone. Why she kept me by her side.

 

And why was I being stupid like this? I should have known better when she said I still look beautiful despite of my fishing hat.

 

“Wheein ah, I don’t know how you feel about me but I know how I feel about you. You may not like me instantly but I can take it slow if you wish to know me better. But I don’t want the risk of losing you to someone else without confessing my heart so I’m going to do it tonight.”

 

Honestly, I didn’t wait for her confession. My will not to kiss her just melted away and I became bold and daring. I took her by surprise. I cupped her cheeks with my palms and I just leaned in for that fateful kiss.

 

I kissed her. I kissed my crush. If this was me months ago, I wouldn’t be so bold. I wouldn’t be sitting in this car; being this close with this King. But yet, this King – this person whom I’m in love with; loves me back.

 

So why should I waste my time?

 

“Wheein? You….”

 

She was in a shock. She was in a pleasant shock but yet she couldn’t figure out what to say next. But this time I took the lead.

 

“I like you for the longest time. You’re my crush. I was one of your million fans but I never acted on it. I mean, look at me. I was not pretty. I don’t flirt. I cant even look at you properly back then.”

 

“Wait, you like me?”

 

“Yeah, I do. I have always been, Moon Byulyi. All this time you are with me; I couldn’t do anything. I thought you wouldn’t even look at me.”

 

“How can you say that? You don’t have confidence in yourself?”

 

“No, I mean look at me, Byul. Look at what I’m wearing. I don’t look desirable enough for any girl or guy to want me.”

 

“I don’t care about how you look, Wheein. I really don’t care if you are the ugliest girl on Earth. You moved my heart with your voice, Wheein ah. My heart has been staying away from love; I went astray because of the pain inflicted on me in the past. Yongsun unnie is protective of me and Hwasa kept a look out for me. They know how adamant I was not to fall in love once again. But Wheein ah, ever since that day you moved my heart, I couldn’t get past this. I wasn’t too sure of it myself but now I’m ascertained why I couldn’t let you go.”

 

“No, Byulyi. This can’t be.”

 

“Yes, it will be and I will promise you my heart. This time, you’re my forever and I want to be your forever too.”

 

-

 

“I must have created many inconveniences for others when that video of me was uploaded. I was the wrath of Moon Byulyi’s fans and I know some of you still hate me now.”

 

There were plenty of groans and glares from the crowd. I wanted to laugh but I held back. This was not the time to make fun of these people. It was time for me to declare my love with that one person who gave her heart to me.

 

“I’m really sorry for what I have put everyone through. It was never my intention in the first place to even stand here. You see, I was picked via a lucky draw which Miss Kim had done for us. I was the lucky one. Absolutely lucky one.”

 

Miss Kim stuck her tongue out. But I need to thank her personally later. She was the bloody reason why Moonbyul is mine now.

 

“So I had no choice but to sing. But before I do, I need to thank Miss Kim for this wonderful opportunity. It was the best because I was able to hear Miss Kim sing and in return, getting to sing in front of all of you tonight.”

 

I glanced to my side; Moonbyul was there. She was smiling widely; she said the night before that she’s proud of having me as her girlfriend. Many of her fans knew about me. They know I have become their King’s girlfriend. Technically, I’m their Queen but they call me . I’m okay with that anyway.

 

Because I have this girl. She’s mine. She’s all mine. I get to kiss her whenever I like. I get to hug her when I’m sleeping at night. If I’m upset, she will run to me and hold me in her embrace. She will whisper sweet nothings in my ears and I will get swoon all over again.

 

Things like these make me feel like I’m right on top of this world. And nothing can beat me because I have Moonbyul.  And I need to show off to the world how much I really care for this girl.

 

She’s my world.

 

“I don’t have the intention to win. I just want to sing because I love to. I love to sing to someone who has been there for me. Someone whom I thought would never be mine but she’s right here with me now. She taught me a lot of things and I cannot express how much I love her.”

 

I turned to look at Moonbyul. She’s smiling; still smiling. There’s always a shine in her eyes; sparkle in her eyes – everything about this girl makes my heart flutter like crazy. And to think this heartrhrob is mine; I had to giggle. My heart is tickled by her presence.

 

“I’m going to sing for her. Today is all about her. Today is about Moon Byul Yi. Baby, I need you to know how much I care about you. I don’t care about anything else except for you. You are my world. You are everything that I can ever ask for. Nobody loves me like the way you do. Let me sing for you tonight.”

 

Wheein started singing. Everyone kept still; the air was still; time somehow stood still – the whole arena was filled with Wheein’s melodious voice. Wheein concentrated on Moonbyul; her eyes were on Moonbyul; tears fell for Moonbyul and her heart swooned because of Moonbyul.

 

Everything was because of Moon Byulyi.

 

Ooh ooh ooh
I can't believe you're here with me
And now it seems my world's complete
And I never want this moment to end


I close my eyes and still I see
My dreams become reality
And now I know how it feels to be in love

 

I prayed so many nights that you would come my way
An angel from above to light my darkest day
I think it's time for you to heed these lines
'Cos there's something I want to say



I finally found what I've been looking for
And now you know I'm going to love you more
Hold me tight 'cos it's always been you
(It's always been you)


To think that you were always there
(Always there)
To be my friend and wipe away my tears

Now it's clear that it's always been you
Sometimes you don't expect that friends
Can become lovers in the end


Only God knows what the future will bring
So hold me close and don't let go
'Cos this is love, boy, don't you know?

And we're gonna be together for eternity


I prayed so many nights that you would come my way
An angel from above to light my darkest day
A love so strong it can't be wrong

It's with you that I belong

 

I finally found what I've been looking for (finally found)
And now you know I'm going to love you more
Hold me tight 'cause it's always been you
(It's always been you)


To think that you were always there (you were always there)
To be my friend and wipe away my tears


Now it's clear that it's always been you (you)

this time
I'm gonna make sure it turns out right
I want to be your everything and by your side
For the rest of my life
(This love)
This love feels the way that love should be
Look in my eyes and realise there's no disguise
'Cause I'm in love with you

 

I finally found what I've been looking for
And now you know I'm going to love you more
Hold me tight 'cause it's always been you
To think that you were always there (you were always there)


To be my friend and wipe away my tears
(Wipe away my tears)
Now it's clear that it's always been you
(It's always been you)

I finally found what I've been looking for (I finally found)


-

 

It was a total uproar. Everyone was on their feet; thunderous claps and cheering was loud too. And there were many love declarations too.

 

“JUNG WHEEIN, BE MINE!”

 

“OKAY, YOU CAN BE WITH THE KING! WE WILL CALL YOU QUEEN!”

 

“LEAVE MOONBYUL! COME TO ME!”

 

Moonbyul recognized that last voice. She turned to look at the person in question; staring at that woman who was gleefully smiling at her.

 

“What do you think you’re doing?”

 

“What? Can’t I declare my love for her?”

 

“She’s mine.”

 

“You aren’t married yet.”

 

“She’s mine, unnie! And you have Chorong unnie!”

 

Suddenly someone else appeared next to Yongsun. Her own girlfriend joined in with the teasing.

 

“Well, I don’t mind sharing her with Wheein. Wheein is gorgeous.”

 

Chorong was doing high-five with her girlfriend. Moonbyul was going to flip the table if not for Hwasa. The younger woman was holding her back while the couple was laughing away. Ever since Moonbyul has Wheein, they love teasing her.

 

It was the first time they saw Moonbyul being so jealous and possessive over one person.

 

“You idiot. They are just joking with you.”

 

“I know they are, but I cannot help it. Look at the crowd.”

 

The four of them turned to look at the crowd. Yongsun knew she would lose her Campus Idol title this year. It was about time anyway. She’s just glad Wheein makes her best friend happy.

 

“Your fans love her now.”

 

“My fans are the worse batch. What if they shower love on Wheein and Wheein drifts away from me?”

 

Yongsun rolled her eyes; Chorong chuckled at Moonbyul’s silly thought and Hwasa; she smacked Moonbyul hard on her forehead. Really hard.

 

“Wheein only has eyes for you.”

 

“How you know?”

 

“Look at her. Who is she looking at?”

 

Moonbyul pointed to herself. She knew her girlfriend was watching her. She was just being stupid and silly. She turned into a fool ever since she fell in love with Wheein.

 

“Now, be stupid and go up to her.”

 

-

 

Wheein won. She becomes the Campus Idol. There was no surprise. Wheein became a sensation overnight. Everybody at the campus was congratulating her. It was a crazy day for her.

 

But now, she’s at the comfort of her girlfriend’s arms. Moonbyul whisked her away right after she won the medal. Girlfriend was a little zealous that night.

 

Moonbyul hugged her; tightly in her embrace. She even tuck Wheein under her chin and possessively wrapped her arms around Wheein’s waist. She buried her face into Wheein’s hair.

 

“You smell so good.”

 

“Is that my girlfriend talking now?”

 

“Yes, your jealous girlfriend is talking.”

 

“I won’t join the competition next year.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“And the risk getting eaten up alive by my girlfriend?”

 

“I’m proud of you but your fans are just too much.”

 

“My fans are your fans, honey.”

 

“That’s why. My fears come true.”

 

Wheein chuckled softly before she looked up. She found Moonbyul’s eyes on her; that sparkle was still there. And Wheein wouldn’t want anyone else but Moon Byulyi.  She eyed on her lips.

 

 “I want to kiss you.”

 

“Okay. Come here.”

 

Moonbyul lowered herself and Wheein leaned closer. Their lips touched; the tip of their noses rubbed against each other. Moonbyul’s hands moved up to Wheein’s chest; Wheein leaned on her girlfriend’s neck.

 

Things got heated up; passionate and Moonbyul was a little overzealous again. Wheein knew Moonbyul had wanted more than just kisses. They have been together for a month and the furthest they did was kissing.

 

Like what she has said during the competition, she wanted to prove her love for Moonbyul.

 

“Woahh.”

 

“What?”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Do you want it or not?”

 

Moonbyul blinked her eyes a couple of times before Wheein decided to take the lead.  And Moonbyul didn’t say much.

 

She got Wheein where she wanted after all.

 

-