one

Don't Go Chasing the Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The girl flutters her eyes open, letting light seep into her vision.

Why is everything all white? Where am I? Why is there such a strong smell of disinfectant?

The room is almost empty, with plain white walls and a very overwhelming scent that made her cringe slightly. She rubbed her eyes a couple more times, trying to get used to the sudden bright lights that she had not seen in a while.

“Oh you’re awake.” An unfamiliar voice from a distance entered her ears.

She opened her eyes fully and turns to the source of the sound. The first person she saw was a man smiling down on her. A man, who she noticed, was wearing a white coat. Her brows furrowed and she tried to sit up.

“Please don’t move!” The male immediately rushed to her side. “You still need to rest.”

The girl confused, but complied, as she laid back down and tried to figure out what was going on.

“Where am I?” she croaked.

“You’re in the hospital, Seoul National Hospital to be precise. I am Doctor Kim, or you can call me Junmyeon. I am your attending physician.” He smiled at her, pausing slightly, letting her process his words for a few seconds before continuing. “You were discovered unconscious in the forest 2 weeks ago. Some hikers discovered you and brought you here. You didn’t have any form of identification on you when they found you.”

The male pulled the chair in front of her bed and sat beside her, his smile never leaving his face.

 “How may I address you? Do you have any family you want me to get in contact with?”

My name? The girl scrunched her brows together and forced her eyes shut. Her mind was completely blank.

What’s my name? Who am I? Why can’t I remember anything?! A sharp pain pierced through her head as she tried to remember. The girl was visibly getting agitated as she started hyperventilating and her expression was contorted as she was in great pain.

 “Ma’am please don’t be afraid. You need to calm down.” He reassured, as he pats her back lightly, in an attempt to calm her down.

“Ma’am? Ma’am are you ok?” Junmyeon stood up, getting worried as he watched the numbers on the heart monitor increase at a terribly alarming rate.

The alarms started going off as the girl’s heart rate started increasing.

“Nurse! I need a nurse in here right now! We need S01 here!” Dr. Kim yelled.

WHO AM I? WHY CAN’T I REMEMBER ANYTHING!? The girl internally panicked, she could hear someone beside her, muttering something, but it sounded too distant for her to make out what he was saying and the pain in her head was getting excruciatingly painful.

“Ah!” She groaned, her eyes squeezed even tighter than before as her fists was tightly clenched around her head.

The nurse quickly came in with a needle with the sedatives Dr. Kim asked for. Everything happened too quickly as the girl felt a sharp pain on her arm before numbness filled her body, and soon she was unconscious once again.

Darkness, that was all she saw. Her surroundings was a pitch black.  It was getting hard to breathe. With every breath she took, a sharp pain would pierce through her chest. Her eyelids felt exremely heavy but something in her chest told her she had to open her eyes, and so she did, forcing them open. 

She saw him standing in front of her, but his face was a blur. But she knew it was him. It had to be him, he was going to save her right? 

“Please…” Her arm reached out to grab the male in front of her.

The girl opened her eyes yet again. Everything is white. She looked over to her left and saw a machine beeping. She looked down at her arms and found tubes taped to her wrist.

“You’re in the hospital, Seoul National Hospital.”

Right, I’m in the hospital.

She carefully lifted herself up to sit and rested her back against the headboard as she tried to recall what had happened earlier. She shut her eyes tight and racked her brain for any memory, but sadly the only memories she had was what happened when she first opened her eyes here at this hospital — when the doctor was here.

At this point, she was completely clueless about herself and the situation she was in and she absolutely hated it. She didn’t know why she was in the hospital. She didn’t even know who she was or anything that happened before waking up the first time. It was like her memories were completely erased.

“Oh, you’re awake!” Her eyes fluttered open and she saw a nurse who look slightly startled and shocked. “I'll get Dr. Kim here!” Then, she ran out of the ward.

A few minutes later, the same nurse came back with the doctor and she recognized him. He was the first person she saw when she woke up before; the first person in her memory, Dr. Kim.

His lips tilted up into a smile as he faced the girl. Does this guy ever stop smiling?

“Hello again,” he greeted as he approached her. “How are you feeling now?” His voice was laced with concern despite his jovial expression.

How do you think I feel? She thought but she didn’t voice it out loud. Her eyes never left Dr. Kim as he pulled a chair and sat beside her, this time a clipboard on hand.

Junmyeon stared back at the girl who was looking at him. This time, he made sure to look right into those brown orbs of hers, to give her a sense of assurance and comfort, knowing how terrible she must feel on the inside. 

“Can we try this again?" He probed, while popping the cap off his pen.

"Hello, my name is Dr. Kim Junmyeon. I want you to stay calm as I ask you a couple of questions. Can you do that for me please?” His voice was gentle and soft like cotton, making her feel more at ease and comfortable with him. 

She nodded her head slightly, shifting her gaze away from his eyes to look at the bed.

Dr. Kim nodded, happy that he was making slight progress. “Now is there anything you remember at all? How you got hurt? Or do you have any family you can think of?”

The girl didn't even have to think when shook her head and frowned.

“Do you have any recollection of what had happened at all?” He continued.

She shook her head dejectedly, and started playing with her fingers.

Junmyeon pressed his lips together, but he did not give up, “Perhaps, may I know your name?”

The girl shook her head and faced him. “I don’t remember,” she said, barely a whisper.

Junmyeon was slightly taken aback when s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter