Chapter 1

Take Notice

It has been decided and agreed upon, that from this moment on, Momo and Calculus will never be on the same page ever again.

“I’m done with this.” With a defeated grunt, Momo drops her pen and textbook carelessly to the side as she allows herself to fall back on the bed. Calculus will never make sense to her so she might as well utilize her time taking a long nap than understanding numbers and weird symbols mushed together.

Cheer practice was cancelled today since their head coach, also their professor in this dreadful subject, found it fitting for her girls to use their time preparing for the impending finals week instead, especially when her advisory class (Momo’s unfortunately) have another long exam in Cal scheduled tomorrow. It is clear that despite being one of the, if not the best cheer squad in Seoul’s university belt, the respected coach still finds value in academics above anything else. Now that it’s something definitely to be admired on and agreed with, Momo finds herself feeling otherwise; she just hates studying. Good thing that she excels on what she does when it comes to cheering, granting her a scholarship for being part of the best pep squad representing this top university and thus gives her a title she will do anything to live up to: vice captain.

Most people often underestimate the burden of having an important role in a team like this. Being vice captain already holds great responsibility that sometimes even Momo had a hard time coping up from all the pressure weighed down on her. She sympathetically wonders what it’s like for Sana, her best friend and the squad’s captain.

Her brief stupor was interrupted when she felt the bed sink deeper to her right, a weight seems to have shifted closer. Momo lazily tilts her head to the source of the movement and that’s how she finds Mina, also her best friend, smiling down at her; amusement and feign-pity clearly playing on her features.

“If you want to pass through college and have that degree on dancing,” Mina leans forward, a teasing smile on display as she playfully flicks Momo’s forehead, earning a surprised yelp from the older girl, “then we have no choice but to face mathematics no matter how much we don’t like it.”

Momo whines for the 4th time that evening. “I don’t get it. We’re dance majors, why do we still have to learn this stuff?”

“Because it’s part of the curriculum. We really don’t have much choice but to take it. Besides, it’s only for this year.”

Momo pouts. “Well I don’t like it.”

“When have you ever?” Mina grins fully this time, the adorability of her best friend being too much.

She finds this the perfect time to recollect their scattered reviewers so she turns around to grab their textbooks and some more papers. Despite the prospect of idling with her best friend seems to be one of the most tempting things to do right now, Mina still has to teach Momo stuff and being distracted with-

She felt a tug on her shirt. Pausing, Mina turns to look back down only to find Momo with her eyes lidded low, a hand clutching loosely at the hem of her shirt. “Can we just sleep instead?”

This girl.

“Momoring, we haven’t even finished the first problem here.” Mina softly reasons, holding her own Calculus textbook up and gives it a little shake. Unsurprisingly, Momo instead glared at the poor paper.

The younger Japanese chuckles, putting the textbook aside before stretching her arms out for the other girl. “Come on you slacker, up to it.”

“No.”

“You’ll have a hard time tomorrow if you won’t.”

“Doesn’t make a difference.”

“Sana’s going to kick us out. This is her room after all.”

“You know she won’t.”

“Jokbal-free lunch starting this week.”

And Mina has Momo sitting up in seconds. However, the force and urgency to react was a bit too much as she ends up colliding with Mina instead, sending them both back on the bed once again.

“Aw... huh- Minari! Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry, I’m-“

Momo’s words die in . She knows that her best friend is beautiful, but having her this close just puts it to another level. It’s almost unfair, really, to still be this pretty when all of her hair is in disarray, or how her eyes are caught in surprise, or how she heaves with slightly parted lips...

Okay stop.

But like a helpless body being into this blackhole called beauty, Momo unconsciously has her eyes trail across her best friend’s moles. She couldn’t help but appreciate the asset Mina doesn’t even know. From her chin, to her lips, to her nose and to her forehead, Momo connects them like constellations - she always has a thing for Mina’s moles.

“What?” A soft voice whispered, finally snapping Momo out of her trance. She averts her eyes to meet her best friend’s gaze, blinking.

“What, what?”

“You have this weird smile. Is there something on my face?”

Stars.

“Oh no no,” Momo pushes herself up, shrugging, “I was just thinking about that time when you have ketchup reaching all the way to your eyebrows.”

“What? Yah!”

And chaos ensues. Laughter filled Sana’s dorm room as Momo rolls on her back, laughing and kicking and shielding as she blocks Mina’s unexpected tickle attacks. Both girls completely disregarded, intentionally for Momo and otherwise for Mina, the textbooks and pens lying around as they’re sent flying to the floor with their mess. Momo hears Mina shriek a, “That was one time, Hirai!” but it only causes the girl to laugh even harder.

“Really? Then tell that to- oof!” And now a pillow slams to her face.

Mina is usually reserved and quiet despite being one of the most popular figures on campus, but whenever she’s with her favourite people in the world, she can’t help but unwind and not worry of all the expectations around. So that’s why she’s here, pounding her best friend with a pillow to her face.

However, they both fail to notice the door swinging open with someone sprinting inside. Suddenly, air knocks out of both Mina and Momo as they find themselves on their backs yet again after being tackled by another body who is squealing in this jittery, high-pitched voice that couldn’t be from anyone else except-

“I just met the cutest, prettiest, and adorable-est person ever!” Sana shrieks, momentarily raising her head up to beam at the confused gazes before diving back down to nuzzle herself on the bodies she crushed.

Mina, the ever kind-hearted friend that she is, simply smiles and pats the brunette’s hair despite her pain, “That’s a lot of superlatives, Sana. I bet she’s really pretty.”

“And a wrong use of words at that,” Momo cuts in, annoyance clearly evident on her face as she tries to wiggle herself out of her friend, “I may not be the smartest kid out there but I do know that there’s no word such as adorable-est.

Sana brings her head up and faces Momo with such resolute. “Excuse you, Hirai, but there is actually.” She counters seriously.

Momo pauses. “There is?”

And just like that, the serious act Sana usually has no problem putting up came crumbling down as a fond smile threatens to split on her face. No one can ever resist an adorable Momo anyway. Finally rolling to her back, Sana adjusts herself to a more comfortable position between the two while at the same time entwining both her fingers to each of her best friends’ hands.

“First of all, yes Minari. She definitely is gorgeous,” Sana sighs dreamily, then turning her head to face Momo, “and second of all, no Momoring, I was just joking.”

Momo juts her lower lip, yet squeezes their hands tighter together. “Why do you always keep on messing me?”

“Because you have no idea how adorable you can get, Momo.” offers Mina casually.

“And we know Minari’s always right.” Sana giggles, leaning in to peck Momo’s cheek only to have the older girl whine and wipe the attacked side hastily.

“So tell me,” Mina starts, tugging on their joined hands to have a bit of attention, “why are you back early? Your antics usually keep you until tomorrow.”

“Can‘t I miss my two best friends on nights like these?”

Knowing Sana, anyone would fall for those innocent smiles and practiced batting of eyelashes - but not Mina, certainly not Mina, because all she can respond with a face like that is face of her own that gloriously puts the word deadpan in a whole other level.

“If you’re not telling then you can kiss our weekly overnights goodbye.” The younger Japanese suppresses a smirk when she sees her best friend’s smile drop, a horrified expression taking place.

“What? That’s not fair! You know how I love our weekly overnights.”

“So you have to tell us then.”

Sana huffs. “You’re sometimes the worst, has anyone told you that?”

Mina smiles. “Only you,” then she pokes Sana’s side, “Now spill.”

“Yah! Okay, okay fine.”

A topic about the cheer captain’s conquests isn’t breaking news for the three of them. Usually, Sana would either have a smirk or a cocky grin dangling on her face whenever she shares about her newest victim; something about being the dominant one never stops to be a thrilling experience for the Japanese. So when Mina finds the unfamiliar pink dusts spread across their best friend’s cheeks and the timid smile dancing on her lips, she and Momo exchange glances for a long moment before charging at Sana to "spill all the details!" because no in freaking way did someone made Minatozaki Sana blush-y and shy.

 

1 hour earlier

 

Sana is walking down the hallway after excusing herself to grab her favourite tea. Unlike typical head cheerleaders who’s supposed to be concerned on always looking their best, Sana could care less about her messy bun or the black reading glasses still plastered on her face. People often forget that not all girls who’s into cheerleading can’t be their usual good-looking airheads because some can do cheerleading while being able to ace their academic performances. It’s just that pretending to be dumb to everyone is somewhat thrilling for Sana because they would never expect how good she can get on her studies, and it just boosts her amusement more whenever she witnesses people getting dumbfounded after finding her name at various academic recognitions.

Besides, when did Minatozaki Sana became less appealing anyway? Certainly not for the two passing girls who ended up tripping after Sana shoots them her winning smile.

She finally reaches the campus cafe and as expected, a lot of students occupied the vicinity with their own heap of reviewers. Sana is thankful that most of them were busy studying to give a damn about a new customer as she successfully passes the aisle and towards the counter with ease. Once reaching, she looks over the menu and - what’s that tea called again?

“Tzuyu have you seen her?! She just left me with my drink! Gosh that girl.”

Sana perks up, the familiar yet agitated voice ringing in her ears and as she turns around, a wide grin immediately breaks on her face.

“Chaengie!”

The girl in question whips her head around at the sudden call, phone against her ear and a look of undeniable distress evident on her face. Her eyes fall on Sana’s in a split second and the crease on her eyebrows slowly disappears when she recognizes the girl.

Smiling, the Japanese quickly abandons the counter and bounces her way towards the younger girl, eyes watching in anticipation as Chaeyoung puts the phone back to her pocket after regarding a quiet “call you later” to the other line.

“Hey baby tiger,” Sana greets sweetly, moving in to engulf Chaeyoung in a hug, “you’re looking extra grumpy this evening. What happened?”

A groan seems to warrant from such a question, “My friend happened.”

“Sounds serious,” Sana giggles, gently pulling herself out of the embrace to face Chaeyoung, silently gushing when she sees a cute scowl on her face instead.

“Seriously annoying!” Chaeyoung exclaims with a flail of her arms but only one hand manages to shoot up when Sana drags her with her other hand towards the counter; the shorter one not really resisting. “I can’t believe she just left me here. After choosing to spend my afternoon touring her over my projects, here she goes ditching me with my overpriced frappe.”

Sana hums, trailing the menu idly with her finger, “So she’s new then?”

“Well yeah, in this university, but me and Tzuyu have known her for as long as I can remember.”

“Ohhh a childhood friend.”

“Unfortunately,” Chaeyoung sighs, “I don’t know what came to her to suddenly fly over here and enroll at our university and mind you, both actions were done just yesterday.”

With that, Sana raises a brow. Wait, what? After securing her order, she props an elbow on top of the counter and faces Chaeyoung with an incredulous look, “You’re kidding right?”

“Definitely not.”

“How’s that possible? It’s too late. First sem’s almost over.”

Chaeyoung shrugs, “She said that all paperworks we’re done and everything but she wouldn’t share me all the details to her sudden migration.“ then she pauses, “Well, not yet anyway.”

The Japanese nods, trying to piece the information together, “But wait. How can she do all that? With all the flying and moving, I mean.”

Interestingly, Sana watches as the corner of Chaeyoung’s lips tugged into a knowing smile, a hint of pride when she uttered her next words: “Heiress of Kim Enterprises, what can I say more?”

The sound of a ringtone coming from Chaeyoung’s pocket snatched both their attention and as Chaeyoung fished her phone out to read the caller, she lets out an exasperated yet relieved sigh. “It’s her. I got to take this, I’ll see you tomorrow then?”

Sana shoots her a wink. “Only if you let me kiss Tzuyu.”

Chaeyoung slapped Sana’s arm, laughing, “Not a chance, you snake. See you unnie!”

Sana chuckles, waving her hand off to Chaeyoung as the younger girl retires back to her seat. Her drink then arrived moments later and Sana thanked the barista, moving on to leave the cafe but not without giving Chaeyoung one last glance - the younger girl seeming to be on a rampage over the phone. Sana’s pretty sure profanities were already involved there.

The distance between the cafe and her dorm room isn’t really that far. Sana momentarily felt guilty for not allowing Momo to tag along, but then she remembers that both of them wouldn’t be able to leave the cafe sooner if she did anyway - not to mention an unhappy Mina would probably greet her if she kept their best friend from studying.

Sana bites her straw. It really warms her how Mina is so caring for Momo. Ever since they were kids, Momo would always protect Mina from bullies especially when their younger friend was too soft to stand for herself. It was only a matter of time when Mina had enough of her own vulnerability, and the problem doesn’t even concern her - it was Momo. One boy bullied Momo in middle school, saying that she’s too dumb to reach her dreams and came home crying in the arms of Mina and Sana. The following morning, that same boy was knocked into dreamland when a ballet shoe was sent flying to his face. Sana chuckles at the memory.

Served him right.

Her mind then drifted off to wonder how their study session is going (a thing that Momo would only agree if Mina’s the one asking). Has Momo finally got those numbers pass her thick skull? Or has she ended up napping instead? Sana bets the latter, because it wouldn’t take-

Sana is too preoccupied with her thoughts that when she turned to a corner, a zooming body bumps into her and sends them both crashing to the ground. Thanks to her unique nature of being unbearably clumsy, Sana didn’t manage to hold her drink tighter as it ended up splashing all over her shirt, the cold sensation electrifying a scream out of her lungs.

To say that Sana is furious would be an understatement.

“Oh my gosh oh my gosh, I‘m so sorry! Are you okay?!” a frantic, feminine voice run on, but Sana doesn’t feel so forgiving right now.

“Don’t you have eyes?!” She spat, shooting her head up to glower at the girl because knocking her tea and splashing it all over her body isn’t really the best thing to do Minatozaki Sana.

What she didn’t expect, however, was to fall dead silent because greeting her eyes were the most adorable, attractive, guilty face that she has ever set on - and that’s saying something coming from a renowned flirt. The girl’s feature is undeniably cute but there’s also an unmistakable hint of coolness to it. Her pale skin stands out from the hallway’s dim light and Sana never thought that mono-eyelids an be so gorgeous at someone. Suddenly, Minatozaki Sana forgot how to speak.

The girl continued to sputter her apologies, “I know I know, it’s completely my bad and I really should’ve followed those stupid hallway rules on always keep right and , I spilled your drink all over you. I’m really sorry!”

Sana just stared at her, couldn’t get mad even if she tried to because damn, the worry in the girl’s eyes just made her extra cute. But the lack of response didn’t set quite well with the girl as she hurriedly placed aside her pink drink (she had one earlier?) before reaching a handkerchief from her pocket, wearily offering it to Sana. “I know this is obviously useless to what I put you through but please take this, the evening’s cold and I wouldn’t like it if you catch a cold because of me.”

Sana diverts her eyes to the offered cloth and her chest constricts in a strange, fluttering way when she sees the cartoonish prints embedded on it. Suddenly, a switch has been flipped.

“It was just an accident,” the Japanese giggles, now looking up with a calm, foxy smile, “and really, I shouldn’t have reacted that way too. That was kinda overboard, don’t you think?”

Sana watches as the girl’s expression turned quizzical. She doesn’t blame her though, anyone would have a whiplash after witnessing a raging girl turn into a very friendly one at that. Offsetting yes, but what more can Sana do, this stranger just effortlessly summoned the seductress within and honestly, there’s no stop signal to it.

“No I uhm, I’d understand that you have, really. I was being reckless earlier and look what it got you. I’m sorry.” The girl ducks her head, ashamed.

Sana’s sweet laugher chimes in the air. “You’re being dramatic, cutie. Come on, we’re sitting on this dirty floor for too long. Not really the best thing to do.”

Taking the extended hand, they both manage to get on their feet thanks to Sana and it was only then that she realised their height difference. If that isn’t cute enough, then the way the shorter one shifts uncomfortably certainly is. Sana’s smile widens.

“You okay?” The cheerleader asks.

“I think I should be the one asking you that.” 

It's crazy how this girl can easily make Sana laugh. “Well then, if you don’t mind...”

Accepting the offered handkerchief still handed to her, Sana starts to wipe the damp area in a torturous pace, making sure to hold her gaze. For anyone, it would be impossible not to keep their eyes off especially when the wetness exposed the cheerleader’s defined stomach. For this girl however, looking away deems to be the better choice as to give someone their privacy. Sana can’t help but internally coo at that.

“There, but you still don’t have to worry about me. All those cheer practices made this frame a lot sturdier than I imagined.” Sana reassures, tucking the cloth to her short’s pocket for future laundry. Returning a dirty handkerchief would be just rude.

“You cheer?”

“Mhmm.”

“Wow, that’s amazing.” The girl whistles thoughtlessly, flushing bright red when Sana gave her a knowing smirk. “I-I mean that’s really cool, I find it cool. I’ve never known anyone who can do all those stuff so I guess I got amazed. I‘m not a ert, I swear!”

Sana didn’t think her smile can get wider. “How about you? Any hobbies that made you incredibly coordinated seeing that I spilled my drink while you still have that frappe safely tucked in your hand?”

The girl looks at Sana confusedly for a moment before realizing what she meant and glances over to the pink drink in her hand. “Oh, this? This is nothing. I’m not really a sporty person, even though I really wanted to try some, I just- I guess knowing how to play the piano made me a bit, uhm, coordinated, you know?”

There was a pause, and then, “Piano, huh?” Sana repeats, stepping forward, “You really don’t stop interesting me, do you?”

Suddenly, there’s a change in the atmosphere. Panic immediately surged within the shorter girl but she’s too conflicted to think of running away, not when this undeniably attractive woman inches closer to her, her lopsided smile dancing on her lips as her eyes beneath those glasses starts to darken.

“W-what are you doing?” The girl breathes, mirroring Sana’s slow steps backwards until she felt her back touch the corridor wall, having nowhere else to go.

“You know,” Sana drawls out, pausing when there’s minimal space left between them before smirking deviously as she presses a hand against the wall, “you might don’t know me yet, but people here have known that I am usually not this forward with the things I do.”

She lifts a hand, tracing a finger against the girl’s tense jawline, “I woo them first, making them feel good about me, and it’s only a matter of time before I heed to their request. But you,” the finger reaches under her chin, lifting it slowly, “you just set me off that easily. Nobody does that.”

Ragged breaths ghost against the Japanese’s lips and Sana almost growls the words she uttered next, “It’s illegal to be this cute.”

“Sunbae-“

But Sana was quick to cut. “I think you owe me a proper apology, yes? Especially now that my lips feel dry because of you.”

If anyone was to see things realistically here, then this ploy that Sana does with a complete stranger is nothing short of harassment. The thing is, however, it doesn’t end up a violation as well. Everyone, and I mean everyone that Sana does, eventually submits. The aura the girl possess is like an uncanny resemblance of Aphrodite’s nature - too powerful and alluring that makes every rational judgement of their being go numb. Sana knows she has this effect on people, and no one has ever resisted the temptation that is Minatozaki Sana.

Well, until now.

Sana’s hooded eyes shot open when she feels something soft against her lips, and it wasn’t the girl’s mouth.

It was her thumb.

“I guess I do,” a low voice admits, tone not taunting but apologetic, “and I’m really sorry for that.”

Sana’s gaze barely focuses back to the girl and almost misses the bashful yet careful expression laced on her beautiful features. The next thing happened all too fast that Sana was unable to progress anything as she helplessly stares when the girl shyly brushes her thumb against the Japanese’s lips. There was a moment when the girl paused, looking tentative or unsure to what she’ll do next, but Sana thinks that she’d gone the hell with it because butterflies swarmed her stomach when the girl gently pushes her lower lip downward, parting them slightly.

What the.

“My friend’s going to kill me for this but...”

And Sana feels a straw between her lips. It’s not really that hard to process that what just transpired was this girl simply stopped Sana from kissing her, whether it was intentional or not (definitely feels like the latter), and smoothly brought the freaking frappe to with the most innocent expression. Sana’s mind just short-circuited.

“I hope you like strawberry,” the girl smiles, “go ahead, give it a try.”

She sips dumbly.

“Good, right?” And for the first time this evening, the girl grins. Sana doesn’t know if it was because of the innocent gesture displayed earlier or the gummy, charming smile that just made her heart skip a beat. (Maybe it was both).

“You can keep it, it’s the least that I can do.” The girl says, now breathing properly again as Sana finally stepped back from her, a strawberry frappe in hand. “It’s not mine, actually. It’s my friend’s. But hey you don’t have to worry about that ‘cause I’ll just buy her a new one and-“

The cheerleader raises a brow in amusement - sipping the drink quite joyously now - as she watches the girl turn suddenly whiter than she already is.

.” She curses, running a frustrated hand across her face before peeking an eye to Sana, an apologetic tug on her lips, “sorry, but I really have to go. I guess I’ll see you around, uh...”

The reply rolled out of her lips before she can even stop it. “Sana.”

The girl looks at her for a moment, before smiling her pretty damn smile again. “Okay. I’ll see you around then, Sana-sunbaenim.”

And she was off. Sana could do nothing but watch as the girl retreats from her, running to the direction where she had previously came. Her mind runs back to what had happened earlier and she can’t quite comprehend how the girl seemed so normal as if she wasn’t pinned against a wall with someone seductively hovering over her. Even when she had disappeared after rounding to another corner, the Japanese still found herself rooted from her spot - the wetness on her shirt doesn’t feel so bothersome anymore nor the sore spot on her after crashing so harshly earlier. Instead, it’s her lips that feel like buzzing. Unconsciously, Sana brought a hand to graze on her lips.

“I’ll see you around then, Sana-sunbaenim.”

She never thought her name can sound so pretty from someone.

 

Current time

 

Momo has never laughed this hard in her entire life.

“Shut it.” Sana growls.

The warning falls on deaf ears sadly. “I can’t believe she did that!” Momo exclaimed, clutching her stomach tightly as she rolls over the bed, cackling, “Are you serious? Are you freaking serious?”

Even Mina is subtly snickering on her spot.

“Oh, come on. Is this your first time knowing your best friend got rejected!?” Sana snaps, immediately catching her tongue when she realizes the words she slipped and grimaced as it  felt salty on her wounded pride. It doesn’t help when her two best friends find satisfaction in her own misery as they share a silent glance before laughing like wild maniacs again - well, Momo is a wild maniac while Mina still remains to be an elegant, laughing swan.

“Oh my god, please stop being so funny for a moment.” Momo manages her words out, wiping a lone tear from her eye as she sits up.

Mina coughs against her fist, smiling lightly now. “Okay I’m sorry for reacting this way. It’s just that... I mean, Satang, it’s not everyday someone dumped you.”

Momo exploded in laughter again. “Minari! Filter your words!”

Sana rolls her eyes. “Whatever.”

Exasperated, she reaches for a pillow and earnestly buried it against her face - a pointless attempt of stopping not the annoying laughters of her friends but the unwanted images flooding in. No matter how hard she avoids it, a certain gummy smile easily waltz into her vision and she hates it how it makes her feel giddy.

“So let me get this straight,” Momo’s cocky voice never sounded so annoying until now, “you just cornered a pretty girl who, might I add, bumped into you moments prior because you can’t handle her ‘cuteness’.” - Sana swears Momo suddenly becomes an intellectual when it comes to humiliating her - “But then, unlike what you’re used to with all your little flings, this girl just side-stepped your advances like a pro and even seemed oblivious to your true intentions. And need I mention that she did this to the Minatozaki Sana? Man, this girl is freaking hero.”

“And you’ll be a freaking martyr if you won’t shut up.”

“Hey now tiger,” Sana is certain Momo now holds her hands up in a defensive manner, “I won’t lie that seeing you finally get dumped-“

I was not dumped!

“Okay, okay, geez. Anyway, it was really amusing to me no doubt, refreshing even, but there’s something else that I’m more interested in knowing. I mean, you never got the chance to tell us!”

Sana slowly pulls the pillow off her face, glaring at her best friend with questioning eyes. “Now what, Hirai?”

Momo purses her lips thoughtfully for a moment before looking at Sana with genuine curiosity and excitement.

“I just wanna know, what’s her name?”

Silence falls on them for an agonizing minute. The only sounds providing the room were the soft blare of the air conditioner and the occasional trudges of the more nocturnal students outside. Finally, Sana answers with a sufficient, helpful, “.”


The bell on the entrance door ringed open as someone went in and Chaeyoung rolls her eyes when she sees who it is.

“Chaeyoung! My dear friend, Picasso’s descendant, partner in cri-“

Chaeyoung raises her hand up, sighing, “I’m gonna stop you right there, Kim Dahyun.”

Dahyun, who has skipped over to her table in the most ridiculous friendly demeanour Chaeyoung has ever seen, drops her outstretched arms and a bashful smile replacing her exuberant, gummy grin.

“Hey Chaeng,” Dahyun greets with a small laugh, pulling the chair opposite Chaeyoung and sits down, “how are you?”

“What the- How are you? How are you?

Dahyun regretted her words. The table slightly quaked when Chaeyoung surges forward and hisses dangerously, the older of the two cowering instinctively with a yelp, “I’m supposed to be at my and Tzuyu’s shared room all cozied up and studying but I gave that up just because you asked me to accompany you to this pathetic cafe and insisted that I should study here instead-“

“You know that Tzuyu’s fine with i-“

“But you suddenly left me here all alone with these strangers around and stole my drink at that!” Chaeyoung screams in a low voice, not trying to grab unnecessary attention but enough to send her point to Dahyun.

It did.

Dahyun abruptly leans forward, taking Chaeyoung’s hands into her own with a big, apologetic pout. “I’m so sorry! I really, really am, Chaeng. I shouldn’t have pranked you like that but I swear I didn’t mean to take this long!”

Chaeyoung scoffs, retracting her hands back and crosses it in front of her chest, looking away. She’s just too pissed. “You shouldn’t have in the first place.”

“Chaeng come on, don’t be all grumpy like that.”

Chaeyoung whips her head around so fast Dahyun feared it could’ve break her neck. “The Dubu? Now I’m grumpy?!”

“Yes, yes you are.” Dahyun affirms bravely, trying her best not to laugh. Her being apologetic slowly crumbles down the moment she sees her friend looking like an angry troll and really, it’s too amusing.

It didn’t go unnoticed by Chaeyoung though when she accusingly said, “Oh my gosh now you find this funny? Damn you’re unbearable.”

Dahyun finally coughs a laugh, unable to hold it further. “I’m so sorry but you look too cute and I can’t take it seriously,” she ignores how Chaeyoung is sending daggers to her right now as she continues, “but I mean it though, that I’m sorry. For leaving you. I am, okay?”

Chaeyoung narrows her eyes at Dahyun for a long moment. She has always known that this girl is born out of mischief, a quality gravitating towards her so effortlessly that Chaeyoung practically spent almost all her childhood watching over the girl. Dahyun might be a pain in the sometimes but Chaeyoung’s damn protective of her even if she will never admit it.

She sighs defeatedly, returning back to studying. “I hate you.”

Dahyun’s face lit up. “And I love you! Oh thank you for forgiving me.”

“Did I say I did?” Chaeyoung spats.

Dahyun laughs, waving her hand off dismissively. She took one of Chaeyoung’s reviewers laid out on the table and examines it incuriously. “Got a test for tomorrow? Why is it on paper?”

“Huh, what?” Chaeyoung inquires distractedly, looking up from her writing and finally recognizes the papers Dahyun held out. “Oh that, yeah it’s just gonna be the History of Renaissance Painters. Nothing big, but I am currently working on my projects though. I’ve got two canvases already done.”

“Really? That’s nice Chaeng.”

Chaeyoung hums, now returning her attention on highlighting important notes. A minute has passed when a sudden remembrance occurred to Chaeyoung and she casually throws the question to Dahyun, meaning no harm at all.

“Where’s my drink by the way?”

Silence greets Chaeyoung longer than necessary. Confused, she finally looks up and her brows furrowed when she sees how Dahyun is visibly tensed, still holding the paper up in front of her face.

“Dubs?” Chaeyoung tries again wearily this time.

Dahyun finally lowers the reviewer and Chaeyoung frowns when she spots this immense nervousness etched on Dahyun’s features. What has she done now?

“Dubs, where the hell is my frappe?”

“Yeah about that,” Dahyun nervously chuckles, rubbing the back of her neck as she looks away, “I’m planning to buy you a new one but it completely slipped my mind when I started apologizing like crazy earlier.”

“Why are you gonna buy me a new one? Just what did you do to the one I bought?” Chaeyoung presses, irritation now starting to bubble within her again.

“I uh... you see, uhm-“

“Kim Dahyun I swear if you drank it as part of your prank then I-“

“No it’s not like that, it’s even worse than that.” The last phrase came out as a mumble and Chaeyoung almost misses it.

“What do you mean worse than that?”

Dahyun sighs, distressed. “I gave it to someone.”

What the ?!

“Oh my gosh come here you little-“

“Chaengie wait!” Dahyun frantically waves her hands at Chaeyoung when she sees her friend bolting up and oh god, she’s turning red now. “Wait. I got into trouble with someone, alright?”

Chaeyoung deflates almost quickly. “Trouble?”

 

“Yes, I mean no. Not trouble-trouble but trouble like, uh,” Dahyun groans, words are failing her right now and it makes her frustrated, “what I’m trying to say here is that I bumped into someone and I made them spill their drink...”

“You did... what?” Chaeyoung’s mouth drops.

Dahyun buries her head into her palms, completely embarrassed. “I know. God I’m so stupid.”

If things were different right now, then Chaeyoung would definitely rub it on Dahyun of how pathetically funny her situation was. She can’t find it within herself to laugh it off, however, when the probability of getting into serious trouble is present. It’s Dahyun’s first day, she doesn’t want her friend to leave a bad impression already.

“Dubu are you okay? Did he or she got mad or something?” Chaeyoung worriedly asks, sitting back down.

Dahyun shakes her head. “I don’t know, at one point maybe? I can’t really tell. She’s kind of bipolar.”

“God Dubu I just hope it wasn’t the student council president or some staff. People here get ticked quite easily.”

“She’s not a staff, and I’m not sure if she’s the president... but she’s a cheerleader though. She told me.”

Chaeyoung raises a brow. “A cheerleader?”

“Yeah,” Dahyun nods, getting more at ease now that her embarrassment seemed to wear off, “she’s nice, but I did understand that she kinda intimidated me, cornering me to a wall.”

A scoff came out of Chaeyoung. “Cornered you? Geez, it’s just a drink. She can just change her clothes or whatever.“

Dahyun chuckles. “Calm down Chaeng. She meant no harm. I understand how she complained on feeling thristy too ‘cause I mean, I spilled her drink. On her. So yeah, I decided to give yours instead. I hope you’re not too mad.”

Chaeyoung sighs, finally picking her highlighter up and focuses back on her previous task instead. Dahyun’s not in trouble, that’s all that matters. “I’m not mad. What you did was a kind gesture, Dahyun. Not much of making it up for it but hey, at least right?”

Dahyun beams at her friend, feeling lighthearted from being reassured by someone other than herself. She did the right thing. “Yeah, you’re right.”

“And I’m not surprised when you didn’t get smitten by a cheerleader.” Dahyun rolls her eyes when she sees her childhood friend smirking teasingly, continuing without leaving her focus on the paper, “I’m not interested with those girls in that way but I won’t lie either, that squad has a serious number of eye candies.”

Dahyun rolls a pen back and forth absently on the table, cheek propped on a palm. “Yeah, you’re not wrong though. I mean, Sana is pretty.”

Chaeyoung stops highlighting. Dahyun notices and looks up, greeting herself with a frozen, wide-eyed, Son Chaeyoung. She frowns confusedly.

Why, who’s Sana?


A/N: Thank you so much for taking your time reading this. I had fun writing it to be honest. Unfortunately though, I'm not sure when will the next update be and I won't promise either that it'll be sooner, but I will try. I'm really sorry. Till next time!