First and Last

HUG ME

 

The night seems colder than before, or maybe that's how Jisoo felt right now. The darkroom seems to cover –hiding- her very well, but that's what she needed
To hide the tears that drop from her beautiful eyes, to hide the sobbing voice from , and to hide the feeling that she was feeling at the moment.
She knew it's going to be like this, she knew very well this is going to end like this, and she prepared herself 
or that was she thought.
It's been 8 years since she first met him, since the first time she saw his beautiful eyes behind those glasses since she first falls for those eyes.
Jisoo remembers very clearly how she started to befriend with him, she was 12 when she first saw him.


It was a sunny day at Seoul elementary school. Children played in the field, ran, chasing each other, maybe a good ordinary day in that school.
Jisoo just sat on her chair, smiling because she was saved by the bell before her friend caught her, "You were lucky, Kim Jisoo. Tomorrow I sure you, I will catch you" said him before seating to his chair, two-row behind her.
 "Yeah, in your dream Seokjin. I'm Jisoo, you'll never catch me" said her proudly while letting her tongue out. Everyone on her class laughs as Seokjin face became as red as a tomato. Jisoo was one of the fastest runners in her class, she can beat all the boys in her class in the case of running, no one has ever caught her.
Everyone in the class went to silence when the teacher came in, but they were also confused and curious because their teacher didn't come alone this time.
"Class, today you will have a new friend," He said with a smile. "Please introduce yourself" he let the boy behind him to come a little bit forward so the whole class can see him.
"H-Hai... M-My name is Park Jinyoung, Nice to meet you" the boy seems very shy while he introduced his self, ‘maybe it's the first time he transferring school' that's what Jisoo taught when she first saw him.
 A shy boy with simple clothes, wearing glasses, Just as simple as that. Jisoo's eyes kept scanning him, more curious than before because today she got a new friend. She kept scanning until her eyes met his. Both of her eyes that were scanning, moving around his figure, suddenly locked into his eyes, the moment both of the pair eyes meet each other, is moment both of them didn't know they would be drowning in each other.
But that's not exactly how the two become close, it's just how the two meet, how the spark between them, light up for the first time. 
How they became friend happen when its already 4 days after Jinyoung arrived. 
Sound of stuff that falls can be heard from the field, children were surrounding, looking at the two boys in front of them, making the field looks like a battlefield. 
Two boys in front of them were fighting against each other. No one seems to want to give up or neither ended the fight, they were punching each other -or more likely the big guy punching the small ones. None of the children that were watching makes any movement to stop the fight, its either because they were afraid to become the next victim or maybe because they were just to enjoy the view that infrequently happen in their school.
"Hey stop!" 
A little girl voice can be heard from the other side of the battlefield, a brave girl that dares to stand up and stop this fight.
All eyes on her. she doesn't seem hesitated, she steps forward and separate the two boys that were fighting 
"stop acting childish and grow up already!" 
‘her voice is so loud' ‘she is so brave' whispering can be heard from the students that were watching.
"Just stop Namjoon, you are not proving anything here" She spoke to the big guy after earning a nod from the other one when she was asking if he is okay.
"it's not your business Kim. You better go and let me finish him" Namjoon said while his eyes were landed to the boy that was hiding behind her
"You are the one that better goes now! Before I punch you and call the teacher" She spoke braver than before. Eyeing her eyes to his even their height different are quite bigger. "You better watch out Jinyoung, there is always the next time," said Namjoom before he turned around and walk away through the crowd.
"Can you get up?" now it's Jinyoung turn to look up at the girl that saved him. "ye-yeah" he stutters.
She helped him get up, after being sure that the crowd is gone and his clothes were clean from all the dusk, JInyoung spoke again, "Thank you for helping me" he said with a smile on his face. "No problem," said the latter still with also the same smile on her face. Jinyoung is lying if he said that, that smile is not the most beautiful one he ever sees. There's something about that smile that is comforting to him, somehow.
After a few second silents with Jinyoung drowning at the girl's eyes, he finally spoke up again, "ah sorry, I haven't introduced myself. Hi, I'm Park Jinyoung" he cleaned his hand on his jeans before reaching it out to the girl.
"hahaha" The girl laughs, maybe a little bit rude but it's okay for Jinyoung because it shows how even more beautiful the latter is.
"hahaha I know your name Jinyoung, we are in the same class" 
Now Jinyoung it's the one who confuses, they were in the same class? Why he never noticed a beautiful girl like her in his class???, a frown shows on his face. Is he blind or something?
Seems to understand, the girl spoke, "My name is Jisoo, Kim Jisoo. And I think we will get along well" said her with another big smile on her face.

.
That's how both of them become friends, like the best friend that can't ever being apart, Jisoo and Jinyoung always together, plays together, goes to school together, even went to the same Junior and senior high school.
They did everything together, there's a time when both of them decided to skip school and gone to the arcade for the first time, when both of them hanging out in the middle of the night, drinking beer for the first time beside the Han river. Both of them doing their first time together and also being with each other when one of them fall apart, 
when Jinyoung got a low grade or when he feels like he lost himself, Jisoo was right there beside him, bringing him up, telling him how amazing he is, and that's not a lie though, Jinyoung is really one of the best and an amazing person Jisoo ever met. 
There's a time when Jisoo's grandfather died, JInyoung is the only person that she called, and eventually came to comfort her later on. 
Jisoo never cry in front of anyone else, but Jinyoung is the first and only person outside her family that ever witnesses her crying, and on that time Jinyoung promise, he'd never let a tears drop from her eyes ever again, that he will protect her smile, protect the happy bubble girl in front of him, for the rest of his life.
It's like there's nothing in this world that can sunder them apart, that they can face all the odds in this world as long as they have each other and never leave each other side. 
Or that what's they thought 
-Or just Jisoo thought
They were in the second year of their Senior high school. 
After spring break, Jinyoung suddenly thought an idea of taking off his glasses and wear a lens to school. 
It's not like Jisoo didn't want it and trying to stop him but he was smiling and so excited about the idea, so all Jisoo can do is supporting, even though in her heart, she doesn't want Jinyoung to take off his glasses, she doesn't want anyone to find out about Jinyoung beautiful eyes, call her greedy or anything! But Jisoo doesn't want anyone to be drowned in his eyes just like her. she doesn't want anyone to know how beautiful Jinyoung is, how perfect and capable he is at stealing your heart, 
just like he did to Jisoo.
.
But maybe that's the way fate says that it's time for them to be apart. That's the way he said, hey it's already long enough for two of you to be by each other side, it's time to go, sis,
.
It's all started when the most popular girl in school, their senior, Bae Suzy, suddenly confess to him. 
Jisoo was so shocked when she heard the news from Jinyoung, she didn't expect it to happen.
Yes, she heard the rumour that their senior already had an eye on Jinyoung but she never expects it to eventually come true, that their senior would be confessed. 
But it's not the most shocking thing that she heard that day, it was when Jinyoung said that he and their senior are officially dating.

.
3 months of her best friend and their senior starting to dating, Jisoo feel somehow left out, feel that Suzy is taking Jinyoung out of her life
Or maybe take Jisoo out of Jinyoung's life.
She sometimes drags Jinyoung out of her arms when they are walking to the school together or ask him to go home with her in her car even when Suzy's house is not in the same direction as their houses. 
Jinyoung also sometimes cancelling or forgot about their Friday Movie Night -that they had been doing for the past 4 years. 
And it's not the first time, Jisoo comes to pick up Jinyoung because he was drunk and Suzy is nowhere to be found in the time like that. 
Jisoo has warned him about that, that Suzy may –is- not be a good influence for his life.
But he just said that Suzy is not like that, and that he got a lot of new friends because of his relationship with the older, that he is happy with her.
Jisoo just let out a sigh when she heard that it hurts, but she wants Jinyoung to be happy and if he is happy with her, Jisoo don't want to take that away, so all she can do is to pray for Suzy so she will eventually change or Jinyoung will finally break up with her. 
Surprisingly, they eventually did. Suzy changes, she doesn't take Jinyoung to the club until he is wasted like before. But Jisoo is still gone to pick up drunken Jinyoung. because he was fighting with his girlfriend. Again. 
Sometimes it is a little bit confusing for Jisoo because why she is the one only that he calls when he is drunk, 
why he didn't call his girlfriend and said something because she IS the main reason Jinyoung always getting wasted like that. Or maybe she is the one who should call him when she knows Jinyoung is wasted.
But maybe because Jisoo is his best friend, that's why he only calls Jisoo to pick him up. 
‘yes best friend'
that's what the answer Jisoo can only think, and get. Especially when drunk Jinyoung talks about Suzy,
how they were fighting, and how they will eventually make up the next morning, or Jinyoung will just call her and said sorry again. 
Jisoo realizes that she is just his best friend and will only be like that. 
The best friend that will be with him no matter what happens, 
the best friend that will always be supporting him,
the best friend that will always pick up his drunken self and listen to all his -talking, 
Even though it's hurts
Even though she just wanted to punch him in the face and scream her feelings all out 
But she will always be there and pick him up, just like right now. 
She picks Jinyoung up just like always and before.
.
Jisoo thinks that fate wants to split them apart. the next morning after taking care of dunked Jinyoung, Jisoo got news from her school
"Congratulations Jisoo!! You get a scholarship to the University of Southern!" 
Her home teacher is hugging her when their headmaster shared the news, she was shocked like a literal shock when she heard it, she got in the university that she was dying to go to since she was little, and even more, she got a scholarship there!!
"Thank you, thank you so much" Jisoo bowed for god knows how many time to everyone in that room. 
She just felt so happy to received that news and she can't wait to tell everyone in her family, especially Jinyoung.
"But you need to go there sooner than expected" the headmaster continues, 
"You'll directly go there by Saturday, in the next 2 weeks" 
‘what?!!!' 
Her expression suddenly changes, how she prepared everything in two weeks? how her parent gets the money for her plane ticket? how she going to registration for dorm and wait until the letter to come in just 2 weeks? How she will prepare herself and say goodbye to everyone in just 2 WEEKS!!?
.
As he can read what Jisoo is thinking right now, the headmaster continues his word by giving her an envelope, 
"Here, there's everything you will need. 
Your plane ticket, your dorm address, your university letter, everything you need for going there. The university has provided everything" 
the headmaster said it with a proud smile on his face, who wouldn't be? one of his students gets a full scholarship by one of the best universities. You are not a real role model if you are not proud of this moment.
"Thank you... Thank you" 
Nothing but that can come out from Jisoo's mouth, grateful feels like an understatement now. 
Like God giving her a way of her life. A way that someone like her can't think of.
.
It's all ready the night before her departure. It's unbelievable about how fast these two weeks are, that day after she received the news, she comes home, sharing the news to all her family and of course they felt happy, they were so happy for Jisoo, especially Jinyoung. He almost cried when she told him that, maybe he just happy that his best friend got accepted to the university that she always dreamed of. 
Although it's hard to say goodbye because she is going to spend the next 4 years in a foreign country, far from her family, her family still supporting her like there's no tomorrow. 
They helped her prepare all the things she will need there, outside the plane ticket, and the dorm registration –because the university already provided that- and they grateful just like Jisoo.
But sadly because Jisoo was too busy preparing all the things she will need in the last two weeks, she spent her last weeks without Jinyoung. But that's also why today is the day she would spend it with Jinyoung, he promised her, on the last day before his best friend seats on the plane to go to a foreign country –and not meeting him for years- they would spending it together, one last time.
.
Jisoo is waiting in her apartment with a smile on her face, she's waiting quietly for him to arrive.
Minute turn to an hour, an hour turns to hours but Jinyoung hasn't arrived. Jisoo looking at her wall clock in her living room, 12:15, she needs to go to bed immediately if she wants to wake up early tomorrow so she would not miss her flight.
‘I will wait for a few more minutes' she thought to herself. 
01:30 and JInyoung is not yet to come, Jisoo thought to herself, is he forgot about today? Is he forgot about their last night they will spend together? That tomorrow Jisoo would go on a plane to go to a place far away from him and they may not be going to meet each other again for the next 4 years! 
A lot of possibilities and unanswered questions ran through her mind, and tears just drop from her eyes, 
without her knowing it. 
Is Jinyoung forgot about his promises?
.
A call forced her to wake up from her sleep, she didn't even realize that she cried herself to her sleep. She hasn't done that in years. 
03:45, almost 4 a.m., who would call her at 4 a.m.! With not so good mood, she picks up the phone without even bother to see who's calling her.
"Hello"
"Jisoooo"
She stoned for a moment, she knew this voice, she knew very clearly who's the owner of this voice because she was waiting for him to come and see her.
"Jisooo... Are you there?"
‘he is drunk again' that's what Jisoo thought in her mind right now, she is wanted to see Jinyoung, she wanted to hear his voice, but this is not the side of Jinyoung that she wanted to see tonight.
"Jinyoung where are you?" Jisoo spoke again, she is trying hard to hide the spluttering voice that began to come out,

‘I'm not crying, I'm not crying', she said that herself many times. 
"Jisooo, I'm in the xxx club. Jisoo, where are you?" 
"Hang it there, I'm coming. And stop drinking… please" and just like that Jisoo ended the call and gone to pick up Jinyoung, just like she always did before. She didn't believe she is doing this again, even on her last day, on the night they were supposed to spend it together as a best friend, yes as a best friend. That word still hurt Jisoo but maybe that only as far as that she can have Jinyoung, as his best friend, as his childhood friend.
.
"Ugh my god, why are you so heavy?" Jisoo whined as she shouldered Jinyoung, helping him to enter her apartment.
"c' mon, a little bit more Jinyoung.. ugh. Just a few more st…epp. Woah!" 
Jisoo let out a sigh as she's looking at him –his sleeping self-, trying to catch her breath and strength after she picked up her drunk best friend from the club.
Before she could go, standing from the bed, a handheld up and holding her from standing up, 
"Jisoo... where are you going?" a drunk voice from her best friend stopping her from moving away.
"Jisoo, please don't leave me" with a sleepy expression Jinyoung hold tight on his grip on Jisoo, like she will have gone if he loosens up just a little bit of his grip.
"No, I'm not going anywhere" Jisoo holds the grip on her hand, letting it go while trying hard to hold the tears that will burst any second. She doesn't want to see her best friend like this, she doesn't want to see her first love, the person that she has a love for years –for god knows how many years she has loved him secretly- being like this, especially on the last night before she will be gone. 
"Jinyoung what will you going to do when I'm gone? What will you do when I'm not here with you? Who will pick you up? Who will take care of your dunked self? Who??!" tears began to fall, she can't take it anymore, it's heartbroken to see her best friend like this, felt for him secretly, and alone.
"I love y- no, I like you very much Jinyoung, I like you very very much" 
Jisoo can't say I love you to him, she wanted to say it, she is dying to say it, but she can't. 
The thought of Jinyoung belonging to someone else stopping her, she can't do that. 
"I just... I like you for a long time Jinyoung, without even you knowing. I have always been, like you very much" she touches his cheeks, gently. She knows this is useless because Jinyoung will eventually forget about this night tomorrow and that she needs to be on the plane in the few more hours, fly to another country, far away from him.
"Sleep tight Jinyoung, please take care of yourself… 
Goodbye 
And just like that Jisoo left the room, she let herself crying that night, on the dark living room of her apartment, alone, and silently. 
Let the dark to cover her up, hiding her from anyone or anything in the world so no one can know she is crying, only the moon and the stars can see her, she cries like she let everything out like she is screaming in the silence of that night. shouting everything that she hasn't told anyone.
Because this is her last night, let her do everything she wants. please
.
Airport is always busy with any kind of people, from people who just got home and meeting their family from God knows how long being apart, people who's going to start a new life in a new place, and to people like her, who's going to say Goodbye and being apart from people that they care about. 
The airport is the place where happiness and sadness meet, where Hello and Goodbye can be heard at the same time, we're letting go and meeting again happens. 
The airport can be a new start, but also being the last stop of a chapter in life. And Jisoo is going to close a chapter here. 
Letting go it's not easy, and maybe letting Jinyoung go is never going to be easy for her but she knew she needed to, ‘I will need to let go eventually' she thought of that while she sees the plane ticket in her hand.
"Your attention please, Passengers of Star Alliance number xxxxx to San Francisco please boarding from Gate B12"
 ‘this is it' she smiles for herself
Maybe this how their story going to end, maybe they didn't mean to be or maybe they meant to but they did wrong, maybe this is how they will always be, 
a best friend, 
a childhood friend, 
and a partner. 
She is not letting Jinyoung go, she is letting her feeling go, leaving it behind as she goes to plane to another side of the world, leaving it behind as she closed that chapter of her life.
When You let go of someone, it doesn't always mean letting them go physically, you can always be with them, you can always remember them
because letting go means letting the feeling go
letting your loved one and yourself be happy. even if that happiness is not from each other.

 

Fin.