Home

Officially Missing You

Kyungsoo sighed as he sat on his bed, letting his bag drop on the floor unceremoniously. He had an early morning recording tomorrow for EXO’s fifth repackaged album, entitled “Love Shot”, for his own vocal parts, while the other members were to attend to their individual professional schedules, be it filming, more recording, appearing in events or simply learning new skills.

He, himself, was still doing rounds for “100 Days My Prince.” The drama had recently concluded, with impressive national ratings and worldwide viewership, which in turn, gained him a much broader audience and inadvertently making EXO even more popular.

He really should be sleeping. It was almost midnight. The dorm was pretty quiet though. He knew Suho hyung and Xiumin hyung were already asleep, while Baekhyun was playing his video games and Chen was out visiting his family. Kai, Sehun and Chanyeol were filming their respective dramas, and wouldn’t be home for days at a time.

He dragged his feet to wash up, glad that the bathroom was unoccupied for once. His body was tired, but his mind was still wide awake. He had been used to the chaos for about seven years now, so he relied much on the managers to arrange everything smoothly, not just for him individually but to sync with each member’s projects as well. He took a deep breath as he stared at his reflection, and mentally conditioned himself for his fully packed schedule for the last quarter of the year. He would be doing promotions for "Swing Kids," filming the music video for "Tempo" and then launching "Love Shot" with the rest of EXO.

He entered his bedroom—ah, yes, thank God they had their own bedrooms in the dorm now—and plopped his head on his pillow. Even with his eyes closed, random images still ran through his head. He wasn’t that much of a worrier, and yet he couldn’t seem to shut his brain off.

Should he learn the lyrics to the songs from the new album by heart?

Should he listen to them now so they would be more familiar to him when he set foot inside the recording booth in the morning?

Should he drink some tea to soothe his vocal cords?

Should he play some ocean waves so he could finally fall asleep?

His eyes blinked open in the dark, but he was too lazy to get up. He glanced at the clock at his bedside. It had just turned half past midnight.

His call time tomorrow was 7 a.m.

If he started to read, it would definitely stimulate his brain more, so better scratch that. He reached for his phone and saw a couple of hundred messages from EXO’s group chat, which he usually would just scroll through, mostly responding in his heart. He would occasionally send a laughing emoticon if he found anything funny.

 


I miss everyone! Lay hyung messaged, with a crying emoji, and Baekhyun and Kai replied with kisses…

Then some random announcements from manager hyungs

The last few messages were from Chanyeol sending beautiful scenery photos of Spain where he was currently filming his drama, "Memories of the Alhambra."

Miss you, Chanyeollie! Xiumin hyung sent in the chat group, with several follow-ups from Suho hyung, Chen and Sehun...

 

 

"Miss you, Chanyeollie…” Kyungsoo echoed, just to himself, with a small smile on his face. Come to think of it, he hadn’t seen his overeager giant for almost three weeks now, since their schedules always seemed to overlap.

He recalled the time when they were still roommates, and Chanyeol would call his name non-stop while he ignored him with iron-clad will, until he unconsciously would fall asleep to the sound of the taller one’s deep voice relentlessly going, “D.O-yah! D.O-yah! Kyungsoo-yah! Kyungsoo-yah! Kyungsoo-yah!”

It was a compulsive habit of Chanyeol’s that annoyed him to no end and yet he eventually found endearing.

Suddenly, an incredulous idea formed in Kyungsoo’s head.

He went online and found a video of an old EXO interview where Chanyeol was complaining about him being ignored whenever he called Kyungsoo.

He decided to record just the part where Chanyeol was calling his name several times in rapid repetition.

The process only took him a couple of minutes, with the help of an app, and then he played it.

“KYUNGSOO-YAH! KYUNG-S—”

His heart jumped, immediately decreasing the volume of his phone to a more comfortable level so as not to disturb the whole dorm. Chanyeol’s voice boomed from his device as if his friend was right inside the room with him.

He placed his phone facedown on his bedside table, with Chanyeol’s insistent calling of his name playing on a loop.

Before he knew it, his eyelids were growing heavy until he couldn’t help but surrender to the inevitable slumber.

One of his arms fell limp on the edge of the mattress, unconsciously reaching for an imaginary pole under the bed, to hit Chanyeol with…

 

*****

 

A few days later, during dance rehearsals, minus Chanyeol and Lay hyung, Suho hyung announced that Chanyeol would be returning to Seoul that night.

The others cheered as Kyungsoo’s ears perked up. He simply gave a small smile and went on to learning a new move that Kai and the choreographer came up with. Unfortunately, Kyungsoo would have to miss Chanyeol’s homecoming as he was scheduled to do his first interview for "Swing Kids" afterwards.

I’ll make it up to him somehow, he thought, as dance rehearsals wrapped up that afternoon and one of their managers ushered him out of the studio to prep for his interview.

When Kyungsoo arrived at the dorm that night, he almost ran up the stairs to the front door, in case the members were already celebrating. It was a little past 11 in the evening, and knowing EXO, a reunion was something they would stay up all night for.

He stepped into the living room and found only Chen and Baekhyun there, watching TV.

Kyungsoo looked around, confused. The kitchen was clean, no trace of a small party whatsoever, and the other members appeared to be already in their own rooms. He was almost tempted to ask if Chanyeol was back, but restrained himself.

Annyeong, Kyungsoo-yah,” the two greeted, not even looking up from the movie they were engrossed in, which he had already seen.

Kyungsoo just murmured good night to them and made a pit stop at Chanyeol’s room, giving a soft knock.

Silence.

Chanyeol didn’t really lock his door, even when he was sleeping, so Kyungsoo turned the knob and peeked in.

His face fell when he found the room dark and empty.

He retreated to his own bedroom then, opting to check the group chat. There he discovered that Chanyeol had to do a few more reshoots and was now returning after a couple of days.

In two days…

Kyungsoo had to grin. He had nothing scheduled on that day. He planned to just sleep in and catch up on his reading and watch movies.

Just as he was settling in bed, he decided to send Chanyeol a private message:

 

Yah, Chanyeol-ah.

 

Only a few seconds passed when he received a reply:

Kyungsoo-yah!!!

And Chanyeol being extra, he sent a happy bunny gif, dancing around.

 

Kyungsoo snickered as he answered:

Aren’t you supposed to be filming?

 

I’m on standby, so I’m glad to hear from you. Is everything well, chinggu-yah?

 

Yup.

 

That’s it?

Then Chanyeol said a rolling eyes emoticon.

Yup.

And with that, Kyungsoo chuckled (by himself).

 

Anything you want me to bring back for you from Spain?

 

Kyungsoo responded with a shaking head gif and then a smiling one.

 

It must be late there. Rest well, cutie Kyungsoo.

 

It is. Don’t work too hard and take care of your health.

Afterwards, Kyungsoo sent a sleepy emoticon.

 

I will. I’ll see you soon. I miss you.

 

Kyungsoo faltered, his heart fluttering a little. Chanyeol had no qualms expressing his affections, not just towards him, but towards anyone he cared about. He often would deflect it as Chanyeol not treating him as anyone special, that Chanyeol was simply sincere and pure and very loving by nature.

This time, Kyungsoo let his guard down a bit and replied with:

Nado. See you.

 

And Chanyeol sent him a heart emoji.

 

 

*****

 

Xiumin usually would be the first person up in the dorm. Was he startled when he saw Kyungsoo entering the front door with groceries in both hands at around 7:30 a.m. two days later.

“Good morning, Kyungsoo-yah,” Xiumin greeted, rubbing the sleep off his eyes. He walked over to the kitchen to start brewing his coffee, while the younger one began unpacking the food he bought. “Isn’t it supposed to be your rest day?”

Kyungsoo nodded. “I just thought I’d cook something for everyone since I haven’t had the time lately.”

Xiumin’s eyes grew rounder when he peeked into one of the brown bags and saw a few packs of spaghetti. “Are you cooking your famous kimchi spaghetti?!”

Kyungsoo smirked and opened the fridge, showing his hyung a huge jar of kimchi he had been fermenting since yesterday. “Sorry, I didn’t have time to think of a new menu. Better to just make you something that I know you will eat.”

Xiumin grinned, rubbing his hands together in excitement. “I’m salivating already.”

Just then the others started milling around, already in their workout gear. Suho sniffed the air. “Minseok hyung, got enough coffee for us?”

Xiumin nodded as Kai, Sehun and Baekhyun looked into Kyungsoo’s grocery bags and started requesting dishes for him to make, excited voices talking over the others at the same time.

Chen laughed. “Ooh, make several helpings, Kyungsoo-yah. Chanyeollie is coming home today.”

Sehun nudged Kyungsoo on the side. “You know how much he loves your cooking.”

Kyungsoo just shook his head and arranged the ingredients in the fridge in the meantime. “Where are you headed anyway?”

“We’re hitting the gym,” Suho hyung said, taking a sip of the black coffee Xiumin gave him, the strong flavor attacking him instantly, waking his every nerve.

“Yeah, everyone wants to show their abs for the new album,” Kai piped in, reaching to pat Kyungsoo’s tiny, though barely noticeable, belly. “Feel free to join us, hyung.”

Kyungsoo grimaced. “I get one rest day in two months. No way am I spending it in suffering.”

Baekhyun guffawed. “Well, I’m going with them, even if I can’t catch up with the rest of these guys.”

“Dinner. Here. Araseo?” Kyungsoo called out as the members started waving goodbye and exiting the dorm.

 

*****

 

Perhaps Kyungsoo missed cooking too much that he overestimated the number of helpings, even if Sehun and Baekhyun had seconds… while the rest restricted themselves to one plate (so as not to counteract all those months of hard work in the gym).

The compliments kept coming at the time they were eating, yet more than half of Kyungsoo’s specialty dish was still left on the large bowl, when normally it would be polished off in no time and even be fought over…

The members offered to wash the dishes and pots and pans that Kyungsoo used, when they saw their resident chef’s dismal expression. Perhaps lacking the energy to argue, he let them, sulking silently on the sofa. He knew deep down, it wasn’t because dinner wasn’t appreciated, or that his cooking skills had regressed.

Blast their diets, Kyungsoo fumed. If Chanyeol were here, he would…

Where exactly was Chanyeol now, anyway?

Kyungsoo quickly messaged one of the manager hyungs to ask what time Chanyeol’s flight would be arriving. He received a reply that his plane would land in three hours, and was even given flight details.

It would be way past supper by the time Chanyeol would reach the dorm.

Kyungsoo sighed. Not that he could do anything about it. Tomorrow would be a busy day for EXO, although all the members would be able to sleep in, so that Chanyeol could at least readjust to the time difference.

Maybe Kyungsoo could serve the kimchi spaghetti to Chanyeol for lunch, before they headed for their schedule.

He reached for a book he had started to read that morning, stretching out his legs and lying down. Sehun and Kai cautiously sat on the adjacent couch, asking if it was okay to watch TV there.

Kyungsoo nodded, even giving them a small smile, his grouchy mood forgotten all of a sudden.

Chen, Baekhyun and Suho joined them, even laughing out loud at the variety show the maknae line chose. Xiumin lingered for a few minutes and then announced he would turn in.

“Thank you for dinner, Kyungsoo-yah,” Xiumin told him, reaching for his ribs to give him a light tickle.

Kyungsoo laughed and folded in half, the action causing his glasses to slide down his nose. “Yah, hyung!

Suho joined in and poked him in the armpit. “So you’re not mad anymore?”

“No!” Kyungsoo shielded himself with his arms, losing grip of his book, while Baekhyun straightened his glasses for him, but he was tickling him as well. “Stop it! Unless you want me to retaliate!”

Kai caught the book his hyung was reading before it fell on the carpeted floor and placed it on the coffee table, while Sehun began to record the hilarious scene with his phone.

“Should I put this on Instagram Live?” Sehun joked, zooming in Kyungsoo’s face just as he was electrocuted with the older one's death glare.

Chen gave him the peace sign and patted Kyungsoo’s head as the others finally let up on him, returning to watching the variety show.

Kyungsoo recomposed himself, pulling down his sweater that had ridden up to his ribs, and fetched his book again to pick up where he left off as the members laughed and reacted to what they were watching. He could often retreat in his own world, even when surrounded by them, and they were already used to it so no one was bothered by his silence.

After an hour and a half, the variety show ended and everyone was tired and sleepy. Kyungsoo was still focused on his book, about three-fourths completed by then. The younger ones murmured their goodnights and they didn’t even wait for Kyungsoo’s reply (not that he would, anyway).

Suho tapped him on the shoulder, to which Kyungsoo looked up.

“I’ll leave the light on for you, okay?”

Kyungsoo nodded. “Kamsa-hamnida, hyung.

“Try not to stay up too late.” Suho smiled, glancing at his wristwatch. “Chanyeollie should be home in a few hours.”

Kyungsoo smiled back. “Good night, hyung.”

“Good night, dongseang.

And with that, Suho went to his room.

He read a few more pages when the drowsiness set in. He had cleaned his room during the day, called his parents and his older brother in between, and spent the afternoon cooking dinner for the members, so the catching-up-on-sleep part had been thrown out the window.

Maybe I’ll rest my eyes for a few minutes, Kyungsoo thought, his eyes drifting shut, his breathing growing steady.

“Kyungsoo-yah… Kyungsoo-yah…”

His heart-shaped lips slowly upturned into a soft, dreamy smile that Chanyeol had to grin.

Ah… so cute, Chanyeol gushed inwardly, fondly his friend’s black hair. Kyungsoo looked so innocent, like he could do no wrong. Up close, it seemed his friend had not aged a day since they first met as trainees some eight years ago. From day one—and he had publicly declared it several times—D.O had always been handsome in his eyes.

Now in Kyungsoo’s somnolent state, Chanyeol could barely look away.

He wondered why Kyungsoo was sleeping on the couch in the middle of the night, though, with a book spread on his chest and his glasses on… How long had he been there? Kyungsoo didn’t even have any blanket. Didn’t he feel cold?

Chanyeol removed his oversized coat and covered Kyungsoo’s sleeping form with it, as if to tuck him in. However, he didn’t have the heart to just leave him to sleep there. “Kyungsoo-yah,” Chanyeol whispered, hoping not to startle him, lest he wanted a punch in the face…

Behind Kyungsoo’s closed lids, he thought he sensed Chanyeol kneeling over him, calling his name.

“Kyungsoo?”

Was he dreaming?

Had he been missing Chanyeol to the point that he could now hear him in his sleep?

Kyungsoo felt a large hand patting his head, and then his glasses being taken off. He sensed a definitive movement, as if a giant was standing up and was now walking away.

He gripped the other’s wrist before he got too far.

Ay, kkamjjakiya!” Chanyeol yelped in fright.

Kyungsoo’s eyes fluttered open, his vision revealing a blurry outline of Chanyeol in front of him.

Chanyeol knelt down once more to help put Kyungsoo’s glasses back on him, as the shorter of the two sat up.

Kyungsoo’s plump lips formed into a full-on, loveable heart-shaped smile. “You’re back!”

The squishy penguin hugged him tight, much to the giant giraffe’s delight.

They were together again.

Chanyeol rested his chin on Kyungsoo’s head, hugging him in return. “What aren’t you sleeping on your bed? Are you waiting for me?”

Kyungsoo playfully pushed him away and made a face. “I see your inflated ego is still intact.”

Chanyeol jokingly clutched his chest, feigning pain. “That's what you say to me after not seeing each other for this long?”

“Go on and sleep,” Kyungsoo told him instead, getting up from the couch himself and handing Chanyeol’s coat to him. “We have to do dance rehearsals in the afternoon.”

Then he remembered the bowl of spaghetti that they left on the dinner table to cool.

“Is that… what I think it is?” Chanyeol asked, following Kyungsoo to the kitchen.

Kyungsoo only laughed, getting a roll of plastic wrap to cover the dish with. “There’s plenty left for you tomorrow.”

Chanyeol immediately reached for a plate from the cupboard and a fork from the drawers, intercepting Kyungsoo from wrapping it up just yet.

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened when Chanyeol scooped about two and a half helpings on his large plate. “Uh… you want me to heat it up first?”

Chanyeol shook his head and sat down on one of the kitchen stools, piercing his fork into reddish, spicy and cheesy strands and twirling them into one huge roll, ready to be consumed. “After eating Spanish and Western food for a few weeks, nothing compares to kimchi.” He had barely gulped it down when he hummed appreciatively. “This tastes like home.”

Trust Chanyeol to react to anything he cooked with much exuberance… but then that was how he had always been. “Well, you are home,” Kyungsoo pointed out.

Never had Chanyeol deemed it possible to smile so wide, even with a mouthful of pasta. You. ARE. Home.

“Didn’t you eat on the plane?” Kyungsoo asked in amusement, and then gasping at how Chanyeol had already wolfed down half of what was on his plate. “Yah, food fighter! Breathe!”

His friend coughed a little, but that didn’t stop him from devouring the delectable, homemade meal while still being able to answer in between bites, “I just slept through the whole flight.”

In panic, Kyungsoo served him a glass of water, before there was a need to perform the Heimlich maneuver on Chanyeol for choking...

Not that he would be able to do it. Kyungsoo could barely put his arms around him just now. Chanyeol was massive. Was it possible that he had bulked up even more from the last time they saw each other? Who knew that the skinny, rod-like giraffe from their trainee days would resemble a Greek god by the time their 5th album came around…?

“You know this is full of carbs, right?” Kyungsoo reminded, cringing at the almost Neanderthal-like manner Chanyeol was inhaling the dish. “Aren’t you worried about what it would do to your hard-earned abs?”

Chanyeol came up for air finally, after slurping the last bite up, and then washing it all down with the water Kyungsoo handed him. “Aniya. Komawopta. I’ve missed this.” With kimchi-stained lips, he grinned at Kyungsoo. “I’ve missed you.”Kyungsoo laughed under his breath and tore off a piece of a paper towel. “Yah, how old are you, huh?” he chided, starting to wipe Chanyeol’s mouth. “Why are you still such a messy eater after all these years?”

Chanyeol took the paper towel from him and wiped his mouth properly. Then he stood from his perch to take his used utensils to the sink, burping loudly afterwards to signal his satisfaction.

Kyungsoo chuckled as he covered the bowl of spaghetti finally with plastic wrap. Chanyeol looked over longingly and asked, “Can I have that for lunch tomorrow?”

Kyungsoo approximated that there was about two and a half servings left, the same amount that Chanyeol ate just now. He placed the bowl inside the fridge. “Araseo.”

Chanyeol’s beautiful face broke into a smile and squeezed Kyungsoo to his side happily. The squishy penguin patted the overeager giraffe on the back while the latter finished washing up on the sink.

 

 

The end.