Chapter 1

DEAL WITH THE DEVIL

 


CHAPTER 1

 

A devil is the personification of evil as it is conceived in many and various cultures and religious traditions.

It is seen as the objectification of a hostile and destructive force.

 

It occurs historically in many contexts and cultures, and is given many different names

— Satan, Lucifer, Beelzebub, Mephistopheles — and attributes:

It is portrayed as blue, black, or red;

It is portrayed as having horns on its head, and without horns, and so on.

 

 

“Pfft can you imagine us having horns, Dami?”

 

Siyeon scoffed as she looked up from the book she was holding to her friend, who had her back towards her as she placed a book onto the shelf carefully.

 

“I’d imagine it would be very uncomfortable to sleep then,” said the beautiful girl as she tucked a stray hair behind her ear and sighed at the mountain of books that she had yet to sort. And she was only at the letter D.

 

“And tails! Some of these drawings are hilarious! How did humans imagine pointed tails and red skin?!” Siyeon continued cackling as she flipped the pages.

 

Dami shrugged and continued placing more books on the shelf she was facing. Siyeon whined when she realized Dami wasn’t paying attention to her ramblings and reached out to pick up a pillow from her friend’s bed and flung it towards Dami, who calmly sidestepped the pillow without batting an eyelash.

 

Dami turned back to Siyeon who was sticking her tongue out at her and she calmly bent down to pick up the battered pillow, only to fling the pillow back at her friend who nearly fell off the table she was perched on, “You forget that I have trained longer than you. Sneak attacks don't work on me, unnie. Now, instead of messing with my books, how about you help me sort all this? Seeing as we’re housemates and all now.”

 

Half a century ago, Siyeon would not have imagined Dami being her best friend.

 

They were devils.

 

Now most people think devils are as what Wikipedia would describe. Evil, mean, horns, tails, red skin, glowing eyes, fangs and all that fun stuff. But what most people didn’t know were devils were not so different than humans. Yes, they had the ability to pull pranks like making your lights flicker to scare the out of you, or summon great powers to resurrect the dead, but most of the time, they were just like regular humans.

 

With seemingly long life spans and overflowing powers.

 

But it wasn't like they couldn't use the powers for good. It was just generally down to the individual. But back in the dark ages, devils were born more often than not due to the darkness in people and tragic deaths were a common occurrence. Devils were called witches, demons, satan and all kinds of names were hunted down and killed due to the abuse of their power.

 

A devil is created when a human dies a tragic death and the otherworldly powers decided to lend itself to strong individuals. Siyeon was born somewhere in the 1950s but like all other devils created, she had no recollection of how she died and what happened in her past. She just jolted awake one day and saw Dami standing above her with a hand held out. It was Dami who had been her mentor and although Siyeon was technically younger than her, Dami still called her unnie since Siyeon had gained her devilship at an older age than Dami. And while Siyeon was eternally grateful to Dami for teaching her how to control her powers, that didn't stop her from acting like a baby.

 

“Awww come on Dami, can’t this just wait until Dongie comes home?” whined the brunette.

 

“I like getting my chores done on time. Now hand me that book you’re holding.”

 

Siyeon sighed and closed the book. Since walking over to Dami was just too much work, she flung the book in the same manner as Dami and watched her friend instantly react and caught the book with one hand while shooting a glare at Siyeon.

 

“Hey watch it! There’s only fifteen or so copies of this book in the world. Don’t just fling it around! You’re such a demon,” said Dami with a huff as the carefully checked her precious manhandled book for any scuffs. Siyeon grinned apologetically and gracefully leaped down from the table.

 

“Hell yeah I am,” exclaimed the brunette proudly and she walked up to her best friend to give her a back hug, “Now… Can we please go out for dinner? I’m so hungry.”

 

Dami let out another sigh but before she could retort, the two girls heard the front door open and close.

 

“Handong!”

 

Siyeon let out a yelp of happiness and teleported out of the room and right into Handong’s arms shocking the young Chinese beauty.

 

“You look happy. Did something happen?” asked Handong as she petted her friend’s head. Though she had died when younger than Siyeon, she acted a lot older, having been Dami's mentor when she had found her somewhere back in the late 1800s. Handong herself was born just under a century before Dami, so naturally, Handong was the oldest in the group. Handong glanced at Dami who teleported next to her, “Nothing much unnie. The kid is most likely just hungry.”

 

Handong looked down at Siyeon who was now rubbing her head against Handong’s chest like a cat.

 

“Are you hungry?”

 

“Mmhmmm..”

 

“Wanna go out to get something to eat then?”

 

“Mmhmmmmmmm..”

 

“…Okay Siyeon, you can stop trying to bury yourself into my chest.”

 

“But it’s sooooo comfy- OUCH! DAMI!”

 

Dami dusted the front of her shirt unapologetically as Siyeon rubbed the spot on her head where Dami’s fist had been. “You heard Handong unnie. Let’s go feed you before you end up trying to take her to your room. Again.”

 

“Wait, when have I ever done that? How dare you accuse me of-“

 

“Siyeon unnie, you’ve been trying to get under the skirts of every female demon you meet since I met you seventy ago. Don’t even-“ Dami held up her finger to Siyeon’s lips when she tried to protest, “-try to deny it.” After opening and closing comically for a couple of seconds, Siyeon sighed.

 

“Fine. Let’s go for dinner.”

 

“Okay, how about having some Chinese food?” suggested Handong.

 

“No way, this Siyeon will end up eating everything again because it’s a shared meal.”

 

“That’s true. We can’t have go to the shrimp place either because she’ll whine throughout dinner.”

 

“Count the cat café out as well.”

 

“Awww.. I’ve always loved that place. It’s too bad we can’t go there together-“

 

“ALRIGHT I GET IT I AM A FUSSY EATER!”

 

Handong and Dami smirked as Siyeon puffed and pouted unhappily watching her two juniors make fun of her. Handong let out a small giggle before making her next suggestion.

 

“How about some chicken?”

 

Now that, was something they could all agree on.

 


 

CHAPTER 1: END

 

A/N: Hello. I am a new author and a big fan of Dreamcatcher. Do let me know what you think of the story so far as I would like to learn from your feedback.

Thank you and Happy New Year!