New Year, More Us

New Year, More Us

The snow piled on the window sill, magnifying the bright morning light. Slightly cold, Tylar searched for her husband for warmth but she was too comfortable to move. Reaching behind her, her hand found his stomach and “lightly” tapped. He groaned but obliged, moving to cuddle his insistent wife. She sighed as his embrace immediately warmed her up. She melted in his arms, completely relaxed. Even after all these years he still managed to be her one constant calming presence. With a soft kiss on her shoulder, she was suddenly awake.

 

“Mm, no, I still wanna sleep,” she muttered, refusing to open her eyes. The breath from his laugh tickled her neck.

 

“I know,” he said ever so softly, his fingers tracing circles on her arm. “But we gotta get up. We're actually earlier than the alarm.”

 

“That's why,” Tylar groaned, eyes still shut. “Can't we wait for the alarm?”

 

“Come on,” he said, kissing her shoulder again. “Let's get a head start.”

 

“You're killing me, Minseok,” Tylar huffed, finally opening her eyes. She stared into his deep brown eyes. “Killing me,” she said again softly before placing a small kiss on the corner of his mouth. He kissed her back, holding back some of the intensity. He moaned into .

 

“If we had more time,” he moaned pulling away from her lips.

 

“I’d be asleep,” Tylar finished the sentence for him. Minseok gave her one last peck on the cheek before getting up. Tylar slowly followed, the two of them brushing their teeth and fighting for the sink. Tylar and Minseok made their way into the kitchen. They took out pans as quietly as they could, to no success. After the clattering of a rogue pan that Minseok swore just flew out of his hand settled, the couple held their breath, waiting for any signs of life moving. When all seemed well, Tylar smacked him on his arm.

 

“We need to be quiet.” She chastised him. “If she wakes up to noise like that, it’s over for us all day.”

 

“Ah, I’m sorry,” Minseok said, rubbing his arm. “If she’s in a bad mood, we’re all in a bad mood.” The two began to take out the ingredients for pancakes, along with eggs and bacon. Once the bacon was halfway cooked, Tylar gave Minseok a meaningful look.

 

“Who’s gonna wake her up?” She asked seriously. Minseok met her gaze and matched it.

 

“You are. Your pancakes are better than mine,” he said with such conviction that she almost did. Almost.

 

“No, you are,” Tylar threw back. “She likes doing things with you better. She won’t be so mad if you do it.” Their eyes locked again and neither budged. Suddenly, without speaking, Minseok threw out a closed fist just as Tylar threw out a peace sign.

 

“Ha! I win!” Minseok exclaimed. “Go wake her up! But, gently.” Tylar cursed as she lost their one-round rock-paper-scissors game. Tylar smoothed out her pajama shirt and walked across the apartment to the room across from her own. She opened the door slightly to see their daughter already awake, sitting in bed, drawing in one of her notebooks.

 

The child’s room was a soft yellow that barely showed through all the drawings, paintings, and sketches posted on the walls. The five-year-old barely even noticed her mother standing at the door. The child’s hair was was wild, sticking up in the most random places. Seeing her child completely lost in her own world filled Tylar’s heart to the brink. She loved her with all her person.

 

“Luna, sweetie?” Tylar lightly tapped on the door. Luna’s wide eyes looked up and caught her mother’s breath. Luna didn’t smile; she was upset from being interrupted. Tylar tried again. “Daddy’s making pancakes. Do you wanna help him?” Tylar back out at the last minute and offered Minseok instead. Luna looked back at her drawing one more time.

 

“Daddy’s cooking ,” she muttered. Tylar crossed the space between them and sat down on the bed.

 

“Awe, don’t say that. He tries his best.” Tylar took the small hand in hers. Luna finally smiled.

 

“But it still kinda .” The two of them laughed. Tylar stood up and offered her daughter her hand.

 

“Then, would you like to make them with me?” Luna smiled and enthusiastically nodded her head. The two of them walked into the kitchen hand in hand.

 

“Goodmorning, my love,” Minseok said, pausing from scrambling eggs to kiss the top of Luna’s head.

 

“Mommy and I are gonna make pancakes,” Luna said excitedly.

 

“Oh, yeah? If you two make them together, those are going to be the best pancakes in the world!” The small trio flitted around the kitchen cooking and talking until breakfast was ready. Luna set the table and brought out the orange juice. Once breakfast was served and being eaten Minseok gave Tylar a nod towards Luna. Tylar responded with a nod of her own. Minseok shook his head ever so slightly and Tylar raised an eyebrow at him. Minseok sighed, his heart beating fast. He looked at his young daughter ripping apart her pancakes. Tylar’s heart rate also began to rise.

 

“Sweetie,” Minseok began slowly, catching the little girl’s attention. “How would you feel about a younger sister?” Luna didn’t even bother to stop chewing before she answered.

 

“No, thanks,” she said cooly, shoving eggs into her small mouth. The nonchalant reply made Tylar laughed and she suddenly wasn’t nervous anymore.

 

“Luna,” she began softly. “You’re going to be an older sister, soon.” At this, Luna stopped chewing. She looked back and forth between her mother and father.

 

“Really?” She asked quietly. When her parents confirmed, she repeated her question with more excitement, “Really?!” The little girl began screaming. She jumped off her chair and ran around the table.

 

“A baby?” Luna asked stopping by Minseok’s side. When he said yes, she yelped and ran to Tylar. “A girl?” Tylar said yes and the little girl was off again. “Imma be the best big sister ever! I cant teach her how to draw!”

 

Tylar caught Minseoks gaze and they both realized they were nervous for nothing. Tylar was the first to recover and called the little girl over. Luna could barely contain her excitement and Tylar placed her hands on Luna’s tiny shoulders. Minseok began to pick up the table in the background.

 

“So,” Tylar began, “Today is new years and we thought we’d do this now. It’s a new year and there’s gonna be more of us.” She paused to make sure Luna was listening. “We’re going to pick up your baby sister today--” Tylar was interrupted by Luna’s yell followed by Minseoks laugh. “She’s one year old. Her name is Stella.”

 

“Oh! Her name is “star!” Just like mine is “moon!” Minseok came back from cleaning the kitchen and kneeled beside the small girl. He took Tylar’s hand in one and Luna’s hand in the other.

 

“Our family is getting a new member and I’m so happy that you’re excited, Luna. I love you so much and nothing’s going to change that. Okay?” Luna smiled and nodded. Minseok kissed her forehead and sent her to change out of her pajamas. When she was out of sight, Minseok sighed and sat Tylar’s feet, resting his head on her lap. She began to run her fingers through his hair.

 

“I think that went well,” she chuckled. Minseok laughed with her, kissing her knee. “I love you,” she said quietly.

 

“I love you, too.”