The Gift of A Friend

The Gift of A Friend

She traces her paint stained hands along the wall as she walks. Her fingerless gloves allow her to feel the rough texture of the brick. She doesn’t know where she is going. She never does, but it doesn’t really matter much, she has all the time in the world.

WheeIn puffed her breath between her fingers. It was becoming increasingly colder as the sun set for the day. But this however was WheeIn’s favourite part of the day, because this is when the city really came alive. All of the festive lights began glowing around her, an array of colours. WheeIn kept walking the streets until she found what she was looking for. She made herself comfortable, slid off her backpack, shook free her sketchbook and began to draw.

--------


“Appa!” The girl whined. Hands in front of her face pleading. “Please don’t make me go.” She tried for a pout but she could tell her father wasn’t going for it.

He put his hand on her shoulder, giving it a squeeze. “HyeJin-Ah I told you six times, this is going to be good publicity for both of us.” He tilted his wrist, eyes looking for the time. “The driver will be here any moment, get your coat.”

Her father dropped his hand and left her alone in the living room. HyeJin gave a quick look around. A large silver christmas tree gleamed back at her. HyeJin wanted a real one this year but her mother insisted that this would be less of a mess. It looked like someone had crafted it out of tinfoil, standing at eight feet tall it didn’t even come close to brushing the ceiling. She looked at the mountain of gifts under the tree, she knew that most of them had her name on it, they always did. She would honestly love nothing more than to grab a blanket and curl up to the cracking fire where their stockings hung with a book in her lap but there was no way her father was going to let her get out of this.

HyeJin picked up her thick wool coat and threw it over her shoulders. With one final look at the cozy house she was being forced to leave, HyeJin followed her father to the door.

Not long after the car pulled up to get them. It wasn’t a limo, that was too flashy for where they were going. Instead their driver brought up one of their large SUVs. HyeJin slid in next to her parents, both had their phones in their hands, checking emails or whatever, even on Christmas Eve they’d rather have their heads at work than with her in the car. HyeJin didn’t take her phone out, she despised them, ever since she could remember she was being ignored by one. But that is what happens when your father is an important government figure. HyeJin leaned her head against the tinted glass, the cold winter weather making it cool for her head to touch but that was the way she liked it. Her eyes glazed over as they passed all of the glowing lights of the city. She hid in her head, like she so often did when she was surrounded by people who could care less what she had to say, this unfortunately happened quite often. She allowed her mind to wander to her schedule for the next week. Now that she was off of school for a few semesters perhaps she could get in a little song writing. She allowed the music in her mind to take her away.

HyeJin was still working on arrangements when they car pulled up to their destination. Every year her parents picked a new type of charity event for them to attend. Last year was the orphanage, passing out toys to all of the children. HyeJin would be more inclined to enjoy it, the spreading of the holiday season, if it were not all for show. It is not like they knew the children, or even picked out the toys, they just showed up for two hours and put on their fake smiles for the cameras.

HyeJin was the first out of the car, her parents not far behind her. Their driver holding the door open for them all. HyeJin looked at this years charity case. A large brick building already lined up out the door, large white vans parked along the street with people in chefs outfits bringing things inside. It was the city's largest soup kitchen for the homeless. HyeJin could tell just by the clothing on the people waiting in the line that they were homeless, as mean as it sounds, they all had that look about them. HyeJin fought the urge to check her pockets for her wallet.

Her father’s secretary met them at the car. She bunched them together quickly for their first photo outside the kitchen, one of many she was sure.

As they walked toward the front door her father held his hand out to the people waiting in line, shaking them as he passed, more photos were snapped. HyeJin and her mother kept a good distance, as they were told, and just gave polite nods to the people as they passed.

Once inside a worker took their coats. Looking at her mother’s over the top dress and her father’s pin straight suit, she was glad she chose to dress casual, just in jeans in a sweater. She looked more like a worker than a part of her family and that was the point.

They made their way into the main sitting area. Each table was already set with christmas decor, there was enough space for hundreds of people to eat. There was no place for the Ahn family though, they would not be eating dinner here, only serving it. They met the coordinator, she told them how it was going to go. They each got a station, side by side of course so the photographers could get their shots. They were all handed a white apron and HyeJin began gathering her long black hair into a ponytail. She was stationed over the roast beef. All of the food was prepared by a caterer and paid for by her father’s government team. All prepped and prepared to make them look perfect.

An hour later and HyeJin’s arm hurt from handing out food. She felt a whine bubble up in but she choked it back. Instead she turned to her father. “Appa?” He looked over at her with his public smile, she could tell the difference. “Can I go hand out water for a bit?” She could see her mother’s lips form a line, she wanted to interject.

Her father gave a fake laugh. “HyeJin-Ah, we need you here serving the beef.” He meant he needed her here for the pictures.

She cleared and put on her business face. “I was only thinking of the action shots Appa. Wouldn’t it look great if I had some one-on-one time with them.” She was keeping her voice low so no one could hear them.

Her father seem to contemplate it, the future pictures of his daughter smiling at the homeless on all the news feeds. He gave a short nod, calling over his secretary. He whispered something in her ear and a new person appeared to take her spot. “Be careful.” He said. Another person appeared next to her, handing her a tray of drinks. HyeJin nodded to her parents and left.

She made the rounds, smiling at the people as she asked them if the needed drinks. She didn’t want to be here, she didn’t want to be handing out drinks and food to strangers for the sake of a picture, for the sake of a story. She wanted to be doing something more meaningful with her Christmas. She wondered what she would be doing if she didn’t have to be here. She would probably be writing her songs. Or maybe she would be at the children’s hospital handing out gifts she picked out for them. Something on a more personal level.

HyeJin rounded another table. The last person at the table caught her eye. A young girl, one that couldn’t have been any older than HyeJin herself. Short blonde hair hidden under a winter hat. She was wearing a worn brown jacket and had on fingerless gloves. She was scooping food into with one hand and drawing with the other. HyeJin tried not to look creepy but she looked over at what the girl was drawing. A family. Parents, a daughter, and son, holding hands as they skated, smiles wide on their faces. It reminded HyeJin of the people she sees this time of year just enjoying the company of their family, the people she envied.

HyeJin set her tray down on the table causing the girl to look up at her. She was pretty, she had large, soft brown eyes but they had an edge to them, like she could cut into HyeJin if she said the wrong thing. “Would you like a glass of water?”

The girl continued to give her a look like she would slice her, chewing the food in very slowly. “Sure.” She finally said.

HyeJin slowly slid a glass off of the tray and handed it to her. The girl picked it up and sipped it. “That is a nice picture you’re drawing.”

The girls eyes darted down to the page and back up. “Thanks.” She said shortly. When HyeJin didn’t start to move on she set her pencil down. “You can go now.” She motioned with her fork.

HyeJin straightened a bit, she was taken aback at the harshness of the girl’s words. “Did I do something?” She was confused as to why she was being so rude, she was just trying to make conversation.

The girl laced her fingers and rested her elbows on the table, fork still in hand. “I am not about being a spoiled princesses’ front page story.” They girl’s eyes looked toward the camera following HyeJin. “Please leave me alone.” She said more softly, more defeated.

HyeJin opened to say something, to defend herself, but the girl was right. She closed , picked up her tray, and moved on to the next table.

HyeJin was exhausted. Four hours of serving food. She was waiting outside the kitchen with her parents. Waiting for the driver to come and pick them up. Both of her parents were tapping away on their phones, faces illuminated by the screens. HyeJin looked away. The photographers were gone, back to their bosses to process and proof pictures she assumed but she was glad to be alone.

HyeJin watched as the homeless people slowly trickled out of the building. Her thoughts kept going back to the girl who she had met earlier. She looked too young to be at a homeless shelter. HyeJin wondered what had occurred to make her take to the streets. As if her mind had willed it, the girl appeared in the doorway. Her eyes glanced over HyeJin quickly, snapping away a moment later. She closed her coat up tight and walked off into the night.

HyeJin wasn’t sure what came over her but she had to follow her, she had to know more about the mysterious girl. “Appa,” Her father barely looked up at her. “I have somewhere I need to go okay? I’ll meet you guys at home.” She didn’t even wait for the words to sink in, she didn’t wait for them to stop her. She dashed off after the mysterious girl, and toward an answer.

--------


WheeIn knew she was being followed. She had been on the streets long enough to know when someone was intently following behind her. She didn’t dare a look, she just kept her head down and hoped she could lose them. She lead them into a park, one that she knew well. She swerved and weaved between the trees and statutes, finally pressing her back against one, letting her pursuer pass her.

It was the girl from earlier. The one with the cameraman attached to her every move. Under the moonlight she looked younger and more calm even though she was breathing heavily from chasing WheeIn. But why was she chasing WheeIn? WheeIn could tell by her clothing alone that she was rich, it didn’t have to match the top-of-the-line suit the man she was with was wearing. The girl’s sweater alone was probably more than WheeIn’s entire wardrobe. The girl looked around the park, still trying to find WheeIn. Her long black hair was no longer in a ponytail but hung loose around her like a sea of black ink. Finally WheeIn’s curiosity could be contained no longer. She stepped out from behind the statue and behind the girl. “Why are you following me?” The girl jumped very high, hands raised in defence, when she realized who it was she lowered them. She was still breathing heavily. “Well, I’m waiting.” WheeIn stood arms crossed, tapping her foot.

The girl swallowed a few times, she brushed her hair back out of her face. “I am not sure.” She finally answered. WheeIn gave her a look. “I just…” She wasn’t making eye contact. “I wanted to…” This was getting awkward. “I’m HyeJin, Ahn HyeJin.” She said offering her hand with a smile. A real smile, not that fake one she saw her giving for the camera.

WheeIn stood taller, in a breath. “Why do I care who you are?” She didn’t mean it rudely but it wasn’t how it came out. “Sorry,” She said quickly. “I didn’t mean it that way. I just don’t understand why a rich girl like you would follow someone like me through the city. Do you want to give me money or something?” A lot of people wanted to give kids like WheeIn things, money, clothes, a place to stay, usually in exchange for other things…

“I just wanted to get to know you.” She blurted out. “I figured we could be friends.” WheeIn could see her cheeks heat at the words.

“Friends… with me?” WheeIn was so confused. “Why?”

HyeJin shrugged. “Why not? Everyone could use a friend.”

WheeIn shook her head. “I am sure you have lots of nice rich friends to hang out with.”

HyeJin looked embarrassed. “I don’t have any friends.” She said under her breath, now it was WheeIn’s turn to feel embarrassed.

WheeIn was getting cold just standing there. “Well I have somewhere I need to be so…” She awkwardly turned.

“Can I go with you?” WheeIn was getting the feeling she wasn’t going to shake this girl.

She shrugged again. “I mean if you want to.” She turned and started walking.

HyeJin caught up in no time. “So what is your name?”

WheeIn looked over at her, she did seem really nice. “Jung WheeIn.”

HyeJin held her hand out again, WheeIn took it this time. “It is nice to meet you WheeIn.” WheeIn shoved her hands in her pockets, feeling her face going red, this was going to be an interesting night.

--------


HyeJin couldn’t believe the girl let her follow her. She was filled with so much excitement she couldn’t stop smiling, even when she was made to climb. WheeIn started up a very large mountain, HyeJin followed happily. “So you like art?” She asked out of breath.

WheeIn looked over at her like she was being weird. “Yes I like art.”

She kept dropping the conversation along the way but HyeJin was determined, she was going to get to know this girl. “What do you like to draw?”

She seemed to think about it for a moment. “People mostly, snapshots of life.” She stopped for a second for HyeJin to catch up, at least she wasn’t running. “What about you, what do you like?” The first question she asked her.

HyeJin thought about it, not about what she liked but about how much of it she should share, she wasn’t sure if she was going to get made fun of. “I like music, I write songs.” She finally said.

“That’s cool.” WheeIn actually sounded like she meant it. “Come on, where almost there.” She held out her hand to help HyeJin up the last bit of the hill.

HyeJin was shocked at what she saw at the top. A wall. But it was more than that, it was covered in graffiti art. So many different pictures, all by different people, all different styles but somehow all one picture. It was a street, all the buildings different. People were shopping, sitting, walking, texting. HyeJin was looking at life on a wall. She had no words. “What is this?” She asked in awe.

“A project.” WheeIn answered while taking off her back pack. “It is like a street kid secret, a myth, and if you find it, you can add to it.” She pulled out some cans from her bag. “It took me a month to track down.” She set the cans on the ground.

“You’re going to add something to it?” She asked looking at the spray cans.

WheeIn looked back at her. “That would be the plan.”

HyeJin watched as WheeIn set to work. Arms arching in what seemed like random lines and curves, all in different ways and in different colours. Slowly a scene began to unfold. The family from the picture she was drawing earlier began to show on the wall. It was then HyeJin realized the girl, the teenage girl in the picture was WheeIn, smiling brightly along with the others, this must be her family.

HyeJin waited until she was done to say anything. WheeIn turned to her, hands stained with paint, some was even streaked across her face. “Where are they?” She finally asked. “You’re family.”

WheeIn looked like she was trying not to cry. “They died in a car crash last Christmas.” She pointed to the wall. “The same day we went skating.”

HyeJin wanted to hug her but she thought better of it. “I am sorry that happened to you, is that why you are on the streets?” A bold question but one that had been burning on her tongue since she met her.

WheeIn shook her head. “I took to the streets six months ago, when my foster father tried to beat me to death.” HyeJin’s eyes widened. “When he found me with a girl in my room.” She was shaking now.

This time HyeJin really did hug her. She didn’t pull away or resist her, she just leaned her head on HyeJin’s shoulder. “No one deserves to be treated like that.”

WheeIn gave a short laugh, a rude one. She stood up and wiped her face. “No kidding.” She took a shuttered breath. “It’s fine I am over it now.”

HyeJin felt herself getting angry. “That is not something to just get over WheeIn, that is not right.”

WheeIn shrugged. “There is nothing I can do about it now.” She was right about that, there was no system in place to protect kids like her against that, not yet.

“Where are you staying tonight?” HyeJin asked so out of the blue she took them both off guard.

WheeIn shrugged. “I don’t know, maybe one of the shelters, maybe the park. I like looking at the Christmas lights.”

“Do you want to come stay over at my place?” She had no idea why she was offering, but there was something about WheeIn, something that made her want to offer her these things.

WheeIn laughed again. “You don’t even know me.” She crossed her arms.

“Then tell me everything I need to know.” She hooked their arms and steered her toward the path they came up on. But not before she turned and snapped a picture of WheeIn’s art on the wall. That was a part of WheeIn she never wanted to forget.

--------


When they arrived at HyeJin’s, WheeIn was internally kicking herself for saying she would come stay over. Especially when she was the large house in front of them. It was three stories high, surrounded by a large fence and guards. WheeIn almost backed out, almost made a run for it but as if HyeJin could feel that, she tightened her hold on her and lead her past the guards.

WheeIn felt so out of place in the large house. It was so quiet, so extravagant, she felt like she was going to make it dirty just by looking at it. “Where is everyone?” WheeIn asked as they walked past the eight foot Christmas tree in the living room.

HyeJin thought for a moment. “They should be on a plane now. Appa has a meeting in New York tomorrow.”

WheeIn’s brow creased. “But isn't tomorrow Christmas?” WheeIn and her family always spent Christmas morning together.

“It is a really important meeting.” She said it so nonchalantly that WheeIn got the impression it wasn’t the first time the missed something for a meeting.

She said nothing to that and allowed her to lead the way upstairs. HyeJin’s room was smaller than she would have thought. Perhaps it was the queen sized bed that took up most of the space that made it look small. On the far wall was a keyboard with sheet music spread around it, she wasn’t joking when she said she liked music. “I have some clean clothes you can change into, and you are welcome to a shower if you want.”

WheeIn sniffed her clothes. “Are you trying to tell me I smell?” She joked.

HyeJin smiled. “Maybe a little.” Red faced WheeIn took the clothing from HyeJin and marched off to the bathroom.

She almost forgot how nice it was to take a real shower. A nice long hot shower with nice smelling soap. It was no nice that WheeIn started to cry. When you are out there on the street you are too busy trying to stay alive that you forget how precious the little things are. Something as simple as taking a shower. WheeIn sat in the tub and let the tears flow. Her mother waking her up in the morning. Her brother’s laugh. The smell of her father’s after shave. She blocked all off this from her mind to survive, but now under the comfort of the flowing water it all just came back to her. She let it wash over her like the hot water. Leaving her feeling raw and tired by the end.

WheeIn walked back into HyeJin’s room. She was sitting at her keyboard playing a song. WheeIn paused a moment to listen to it. She could see HyeJin feeling each note as she played it. When she was finally done WheeIn couldn’t help herself but clap. HyeJin spun around, shocked to find her standing there, face going red. “That was nice.” She said drying her hair as she walked.

HyeJin scrambled up her pages and neatly stacked them next to the keyboard. “Thank you, it is one I’ve been working on for while.”

WheeIn sat on the edge of HyeJin’s bed. “You really should become a musician.”

“And you should be an artist.” She added quickly. Both of their words hung in the air around them, leaving the atmosphere thick. WheeIn cleared . “We should go to bed.” HyeJin said moving toward her.

WheeIn slid back in the bed, trying not to make eye contact. “Yes we should.” They both lay in the bed looking in opposite directions. WheeIn wasn’t even sure she was going to be able to sleep in the girl’s bed but not a second after she thought it, her eyes began to drop. The world fading around her.

--------


It took WheeIn a moment to remember where she was in the morning. However when she rolled over to see HyeJin peacefully sleeping next to her the night before returned to her. HyeJin was an interesting girl, she only met WheeIn yesterday but here she was sleeping next to her as if they’d known each other for their whole lives. WheeIn couldn’t explain it but she kind of felt like she had known her for that long, she was so easy to open up to. HyeJin slowly started walking up, her tired eyes focusing on WheeIn. She breathed deeply, closed her eyes again and scratched her head. “Morning.” her voice was hoarse.

“Good morning.” WheeIn responded.

Her eyes fluttered open again. “Did you sleep well?” WheeIn nodded, she had slept better than she had in months. “Should we go get coffee?”

WheeIn laughed. “Sure.”

WheeIn and HyeJin sat on her sofa, sitting across from one another, mugs in hand, feet covered by the same blanket. A fire was roaring in the fireplace right next to them, warming them. WheeIn’s eyes looked over at the mountain of presents that were sitting under the tree, each professionally wrapped. “Aren’t you going to open them?” WheeIn asked sipping her coffee. “It is Christmas morning afterall.”

HyeJin looked over at them, like she could already tell what was in them. “I don’t need to.” WheeIn gave her a look like she was crazy and she laughed a bit. “I already got the best gift this year.” She said smiling to herself.

“And what was that?”

HyeJin took a drink of her coffee. “The gift of a friend.” WheeIn tried not to cringe because it was something nice. “I’ve never had one before.”

WheeIn was in a playful mood. “What makes you think I want to be your friend?” HyeJin looked shocked, so shocked WheeIn kind of felt bad. “I’m kidding HyeJin-Ah. I am glad we met.”

HyeJin smiled. “I’m glad we met too.” They sat there longer, drinking their coffee. “So what do you want to do today?”

WheeIn thought it over. She had a world of possibility in front of her, at least for the day. “Everything.” She said with more happiness than she had felt in a very long time.