006

No Smoke Without Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soojin went to splash some cold water on her cheeks, frowning when the pinkish blush washed away with the water. Her mind was running a million miles a second. Could she really help her father take over the Kingdom of Bucheon?

 

Walking back to the hall, she noticed Advisor Lee and Baekbeom conversing, or more accurately, arguing, by a large statue. She was too frazzled to try and eavesdrop on their conversation and proceeded back to the hall with a composed smile on her face. They were too engrossed to even notice that she had passed by.

 

“What did your father want to speak to you about?”

 

Baekhyun appeared out of nowhere. The tone of his voice had a hint of anger in it, making her freeze. It made her wonder if he had eavesdropped on the conversation.

 

“It was nothing, really. He wanted to know if I was feeling better after the walnut incident.” She was surprised at the smoothness of her lie. Though, her hands were clammy.

                                                                                                                                                                  

“Are you sure?” he prodded.

 

She fought the urge to fidget. It was improper for a princess. “I am po- I am positive.”

 

“Are you unwell? You have been acting strangely since this afternoon. I thought you were alright after that, but now you seem to be much worse.”

 

“I-”

 

The sudden appearance of Do Kyungsoo rendered her speechless. He looked extremely worried as he went to stand beside Baekhyun.

 

Her heart started to thrum wildly in her chest and she did not know how to make it stop. Everything was too overwhelming and Soojin thought she would pass out right there and then.

 

“Do excuse me, I have to see to something,” she mumbled out in a rush and dashed out towards the opposite direction.

 

Her heart was still beating very fast and her chest started to hurt. She was quite sure that the water she had splashed on her face earlier was of no use as she was drenched in cold sweat. Out, out, out. She just needed to get out of there, out of that entire situation and escape. She had half a mind that she was going crazy.

 

Her foot got caught over someone’s shoes, and she almost fell onto her face before she was hauled up by a pair of sturdy hands. The sturdiness made her feel a tiny bit more secure, though the beating in her heart was not slowing down.

 

“Princess,” the man murmured. She recognised through the fog that he was Chanyeol. “The banquet is not over yet.”

 

She shook her head, breathing hard. “Outside. Now.”

 

He said something to the woman whose shoes she tripped over before escorting Soojin outside. His grip on her was steady as he supported her, walking outside to the gardens. The fresh air outside made her feel a lot better.

 

“How are you feeling?” he asked, setting her down on a bench as he towered over her. “Take deep breaths. Everything is fine.”

 

The thought of her father killing the Byun family kept running through her head. She did not want to be a part of it, but he was her family and family always came first. Trying her best to push the thoughts away, she could not help the tears b at her eyes.

 

Chanyeol looked rather worried. “Your Highness, please tell me if you are alright. You look like you might faint any second.”

 

“Soojin. Just call me Soojin.”

 

There was a pause. “Okay, Soojin. Everything is going to work out. What is bothering you?”

 

She wiped her palms on her dress but the feeling of sweat there could not go away. Her eyes darted around the area, noticing a few guards patrolling the gardens. At least they were hidden by some particularly tall shrubs. “It is nothing.”

 

“They are too far away to hear anything,” he said, noticing how her eyes focused behind him. “Besides, I am your personal guard. I have the right to be escorting you out here in the gardens.”

 

The way he spoke was so calm and collected that it made Soojin feel less panicked about the situation. Her ragged breathing slowed down, but she still had to blink away the tears that kept forming. Her voice cracked as she spoke. “I really do not know what to do now, Chanyeol.”

 

He plopped onto the bench beside her. “I take it that the talk with your father went very badly.”

 

She nodded.

 

“But I believe you can get through this. I’m right here if you ever need help, because you know, I am a dragon.”

 

She smiled for the first time since the conversation with her father. Chanyeol had this sort of aura that made her feel so safe, and her fondness over him multiplied. However, the thought of him being slayed by her father was very terrifying, and she fell into her panicked state again.

 

“Hey, hey, Soojin,” he murmured. “I’m here.”

 

She broke into a fit of broken sobs, leaning into his chest. He tentatively held her around the shoulders, and when she did not seem to pull away, his grip tightened. She tried to keep her sobs as quiet as possible, not wanting to draw attention to themselves.

 

The feeling of her tears dampening his silks prompted her to pull away from his chest. The thumping in her chest was for an entirely different reason now, and by the way he was staring so fixatedly at her, she hoped he was feeling the same as she did. As shy as she felt at the moment, she felt compelled to continue staring into his eyes, drowning in the rich chocolate.

 

Chanyeol leaned in slowly, dipping his head slightly. She followed suit, hands now bunching up at his tunic where she had held him when she was crying. He was so close to her that she could feel his breath on her lips. Eyes already fluttered shut, she did not breathe as she awaited the descent of his lips onto hers.

 

Alas, it never came. There was a sound of multiple footsteps scurrying out from the hall and the spell was broken. Soojin’s eyes shot open at the noise.

 

“Are you feeling better now?” Chanyeol asked awkwardly, looking anywhere but her face.

 

She chuckled, for real this time. “I am. Thank you, Chanyeol.”

 

He finally made eye contact with her, probably relieved that what had just conspired was mutual, and that he was not dreaming. He broke into a small smile.

 

She reached for his hands to give him a tight squeeze, careful not to let the guards see. She felt hopeful now. Maybe there was a chance that everything would work out and she could have her happy ending. Maybe Baekhyun could be happy with Kyungsoo with a supportive family, her father would stop trying to expand his power, she could mend her relationship with her parents, Chanyeol could find his own family, and they could live happily ever after.

 

Too caught up in her thoughts, Soojin did not notice the grunt that Chanyeol had let out. It was only when he pulled away, when she registered that she had been holding his bare hand. It was skin on skin contact.

 

“I’m so sorry! I completely forgot, I-”

 

He shook his head, interrupting her apology. His eyes were glazed over, and he looked like he was deep in thought when he spoke. “I remember my surname.”

 

Soojin nearly fell off the bench in surprise. “What is it?!”

 

“My name is Park Chanyeol,” he revealed slowly, staring into space. “And the King of Busan is my father.”

 

Suddenly, the noise from the hall disappeared, which meant that someone was going to address the crowd.

 

King Byun’s voice boomed so loudly that Soojin and Chanyeol had no problem hearing him. “Now, I would like to make a toast to my very good neighbours, King Oh of the Daegu Kingdom and King Park of the Busan Kingdom!”

 

Cheers erupted from inside the hall, but all Soojin could focus on was the terror in Chanyeol’s eyes as his visions came to life.

 

-

 

They returned to the hall a few minutes later, on the lookout for King Park. Chanyeol had actually asked her to get some rest in her chambers since she was still in quite a shock but she refused. Quietly weaving through the crowd, Soojin’s mind was still reeling about how Chanyeol was now a prince, and that his own father was out to kill him. Well, he was out to kill a dragon, but it was essentially the same thing.

 

They spotted him with his advisor by the fountain. They were speaking so softly that the water gushing out of the fountain concealed their voices. Luckily, Chanyeol could pick it up.

 

“I am bored to death,” he said, imitating the king with a deep voice.

 

He then switched to a higher pitched one, which made her stifle a laugh. “Your Majesty, might I remind you that it was your idea to agree to this dragon hunt?”

 

Chanyeol frowned, ceasing to continue conveying the conversation.

 

“What are they saying?” Soojin asked, squinting at the two men.

 

“King Park said that he only agreed to join the hunt because King Oh told him that they found the word ‘LOEY’ when they raided the place,” he breathed. “He insisted on joining the hunt because there was a chance that he could find his son again.”

 

“Oh heavens,” she muttered. “Go speak to him! Tell him that you are his son and you can go home!”

 

He shook his head. “No, no. I am not doing that.”

 

“Why not? I’ll do it myself then- oh!”

 

Chanyeol steered her into a different direction by the shoulders, all the way to King Byun, who was conversing with one of the ministers. He smiled apologetically. “I apologise, but Her Highness is not feeling too well at the moment. Would it be alright if she were to retire to bed earlier, Your Majesty?”

 

“Oh dear,” he said, scanning her over. “You do look a little rough.”

 

“Her Highness’ eyes are red and her nose looks runny,” the minister commented. “It would be wise for her t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter