End

Cotton Candy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chanwoo waved at the small pool of children in front of him, smiling to everyone but no one in particular. Glancing to the left, he could see Hanbin being overwhelmed in a good way, circled by enthusiastic boys and girls with big eyes and goofy grins, all just waiting for the leader to finish a verse of ‘Love Scenario’. They echoed him by sentence, going more off key by the minute, but Hanbin never looked happier.

Swaying side by side to his hyung’s singing voice and also the instrumental melody of the same song blasting from speakers behind them, the youngest in iKON widened his horizon, and in his view came the rest of s, separated in a pair (Yunhyeong and Junhoe) and a trio (Donghyuk, Bobby and Jinhwan). Too like him and Hanbin, all of iKON were swarmed by young fans of Love Scenario. Seeing how they were currently in a small stadium near a primary school, Chanwoo deduced that the oldest among the children should be around twelve years old maximum.

It was a nice change of scenery, being surrounded by innocent children instead of crazed young adults, cute cries of joy instead of deafening screams of admiration, small tugs on the leg instead of raging handshakes, and the list could go on and on and on. Chanwoo absolutely loved that 'Love Scenario' became such a hit, especially among children.

Even though it was kind of weird for him, considering the song was about a breakups and heartbreaks. Then again, it had been quite a long time since he left school. Who knew, maybe children nowadays had more problems that homework.

Or it could have been the catchy melody.

Either way, he was content.

However, he could not help but laugh silently at the tiny irony of 'Love Scenario' being the children’s anthem, despite them not knowing who actually sang it. Prior to this small concert slash fan meeting, they had heard of the group iKON, and perhaps a handful of children knew of Hanbin (B.I) and Bobby, but the remaining five were complete strangers to them. Owlish stares, empty gapes and hollow claps were given to the group when they performed their signature “Get ready, showtime! Hello we’re iKON”. It was only when they started singing ‘Sarangheul haetda…’ did the kids recognize who they were.

Needless to say, the rest was history.

After performing the song, the seven spread into three groups to engage with their mini fans. Stuck with Hanbin (though he’d never say so out loud), Chanwoo watched how naturally good his leader was with kids, which was a given he supposed, considering Hanbin was a big brother to his baby sister, Hanbyul. He knew how to grasp their attention and hold them on long enough for them to be interested in him.

Chanwoo, on the other hand, was a natural introvert and never really had the chance to interact with children. He was in fact the maknae of both iKON and his family. He was used to being babied, but he had never babied anyone, and so there he stood, with an awkward smile and, uh, cold sweat.

He wasn’t scared of kids, he just didn’t know how to interact with them.

Ultimately, he decided to break away from Hanbin and his pact of worshipped children (they weren’t paying the younger any attention anyway), and made his way towards the cotton candy booth (which was prepared solely for the children and not because his hyungs and himself loved sweet things, no, definitely not) to grab a treat. While waiting for the cotton candy to roll out, he felt a hand tugging his black jeans. Looking down, his charcoal eyes met with another pair, though they were far more of life than his.

“Can I have one too, oppa?” asked the girl in a ponytail, her fingers pressing the hems of her yellow dress. She was no taller than his waist, perhaps about eight or nine years old.

“Uh,” he stuttered, before saying, “Sure.”

He handed her his (“Thank you, oppa.”) and asked the cotton candy guy to spin another one. With a turf of a deliciously huge sweet in her hand, she continued staring at Chanwoo.

He blinked at her, offering the girl a shy grin, but she would not budge. After for what seemed like an eternity (he had gotten his own cotton candy by then), the young singer proposed, “You wanna, uh, eat this with me?”

Her response was a few seconds late, like her mind was buffering and when the wifi connection finally got in, “Yes, please,” she said, her eyes round and big with her lips curved up in a small and shy smile.

Chanwoo offered her his hand, and despite the buffering (which could have caused the boy second-hand embarrassment if anyone had seen them), she accepted his offer. Chanwoo led her to one of the bleachers, passing by the trio of Jinhwan (“where did you get the cotton cand--well, who is this beautiful young lady?”), Donghyuk (“Aigoo, this girl is so pretty, what’s your name princess?”) and Bobby (“Lol maknae, you’re not going to kidnap her are you?”)

He shushed them all off with a sharp glare when the girl quivered and hid behind his giant build.

They made it to the bleachers, the size of the young girl’s cotton candy two times smaller than when he gave it to her, while his remained intact. There was a pregnant pause between them as he observed the girl devouring the turf of pink, her eyes blinking rapidly when a gush of sugary sweetness hit her tongue again and again.

“What’s your name?” he asked, because as awkward as it was, eating cotton candy with one lone child while the rest of his hyungs were all swamped by dozens of kids each, Chanwoo did not want to make it more awkward and he figured that asking for her name was a good place to start.

Her eyes met his, “Park Sera.”

“Sera,” he repeated, the dimples surfacing on his cheeks because he liked the name. “What a pret

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter