CHapter 06

TBPF
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JIYONG

The last thing Jiyong expected to do when he showed up at the bridal salon that afternoon was to cause a sensation.

He had too much on his mind to really take notice of the female attention he was receiving, much less let it go to his head. He was a father and a fiancé now; the old Jiyong need not apply.

Still, it had taken him an embarrassing amount of time to recognize what everybody else was looking at. He arrived before Dara, and promptly introduced himself to the consultant he had spoken with over the phone. Gummy was a slender woman, maybe forty, with intelligent blue eyes framed by glasses; she didn't seem one to suffer nonsense, a type that usually steered clear of Jiyong, but she had let her hand linger in Jiyong's for longer than was expressly necessary to complete a handshake. All the other female employees of the salon, too, had taken turns indiscreetly peeking out from the front desk and around the door of the breakroom as Jiyong followed Gummy through a head-spinning wonderland of glistening white fabric.

His head had yet to stop spinning since that fateful night with Dara.

"We will stick to the muumuus, then," Gummy was saying. "If what you say is true, and your bride will be showing by the time you walk her down the aisle.

Jiyong nodded gratefully. He was glad he had thought to mention it. That was one less thing Dara would have to worry about; he had already narrowed their choices and expedited the process.

"And over here, you'll find we have a gorgeous selection of sheer nighties for the bride-to-be...forgive me for presuming, but I thought I would give you a brief tour before she arrives, in case you wanted to surprise her on your wedding night."

"Good thinking," Jiyong said. His eyes lingered on the tantalizing array before him, and he reached out to finger the nearest number and see for himself just how translucent the fabric was when paired with human skin. He hadn't even thought about the wedding night.

"If your fiancé doesn't show..." One of the salon girls surprised him by appearing to volunteer her services. Jiyong turned to her and arched an eyebrow; two other female employees half-hidden behind an open fitting room door giggled and receded as if they were working. He wondered if he had inadvertently become the subject of a dare.

Evidently his consultant wondered also. "You. Take these to the other room." Gummy unloaded what must have been five different wedding dresses into the girl's arms. "And shoo." She spoke with a tart accent he didn't recognize, but he thought she might be German. Then again, maybe it was only the tone of reprimand that made him think so.

The fitting room was unrecognizable by the time he returned to it. There were dresses piled everywhere, hanging off of doors and partitions, and it appeared that extra mannequins had been hauled in from the back and draped in wedding finery. It looked like a snowstorm had blown through and deposited an avalanche. Jiyong rubbed the back of his neck and contemplated voicing concern; Gummy noticed, and simply shook her head.

"I assure you, Mr. Kwon, it is a normal amount. Can I get you a Perrier?"

"Sure," Jiyong said. He thought Gummy was probably also looking for an excuse to chastise her employees, but waved her off to let her know he would survive a minute without her. He felt momentarily relieved to be left alone...before realizing that he wasn't supposed to be doing this alone. He couldn't do any of the actual trying-on—although that would certainly expedite the process at this point.

"Come on, Dara." Jiyong checked his watch again. Dara was late, and he was getting antsy. He hadn't planned for the possibility that she might be a no-show, but now the dread was creeping up on him. Dara was usually so on top of things, but lately she seemed off her game. Jiyong liked to think he understood completely—and that the new role he inhabited in her life enabled him to pick up the slack—but what if Dara's distraction came from a place he hadn't anticipated? What if she was already getting cold feet?

If Dara backed out of the engagement, then he would be the one responsible for losing the Park account. Jiyong had done some snooping—which mainly involved calling up Heejung and asking for info he hadn't kept up with during his prodigal years abroad—and had confirmed his suspicion that Park Flights was currently the agency's biggest client. They had maintained the number one spot for almost all his years of existence. Deuk of all people had tried to downplay it the other night, as if Jiyong could genuinely afford to lose them Teddy Park's business.

Panic was setting in. He could feel it crawling up his throat; he was afraid that if he opened his mouth, he'd accidentally shout in primal dismay, or worse, call the whole thing off. Jiyong swallowed the sensation back down quickly, and smoothed a thumb across one eyebrow. He was perfectly in control.

"Ji?"

It was her voice. His bride-to-be. Suddenly, Jiyong didn't need to establish appearances or coping mechanisms; a feeling of instant relief washed over him, and he turned with his arms already spread to greet Dara.

"Your kingdom, my queen."

Dara snorted. She was wearing a short red sleeveless dress, and there was a black belt cinched around her waist. Her beautiful long legs extended downward to a pair of matching heels. She balanced a small purse on her shoulder, and the hand clenched over the strap wore his ring. His heart jolted at the sight. He still wasn't used to seeing it there, nestled between her pinky and middle finger.

"Hey, relax. I already did most of the hard part for you." Jiyong stepped to her and pulled her hand free, sealing it between both of his. "White-knuckle that purse any more and you'll turn that diamond ring into a lump of coal."

Dara compressed her lips and gave a little laugh through her nose. "I knew you flunked geology, Jiyong. I just didn't realize you flunked it that badly."

He watched her take in the array of dresses. He waited, half-expectant, for the inkling of a smile.

When it never came, he realized suddenly that this may have been a bad idea.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to inundate you with e-mails all week," he said as he led her deeper into the dressing room. "I knew blasting your inbox with wedding plans was probably a risky maneuver, but..."

I wanted you to feel like I was taking charge. Not exactly something he could openly admit to a girl like Dara. She was fiercely independent, what he had once heard his father call a 'ball-buster', and that had been when they were six. He had to mold himself into the right man for her without too obviously letting onto the fact.

Easier said than done.

"No. I...really appreciate your maneuver, Jiyong. All of your maneuvers." Dara waved to the dresses scattered around the room. Gummy chose that moment to return, and momentarily spared Jiyong from trying to unpack the meaning behind Dara's words.

"Beautiful bride," Gummy said approvingly. She passed them both a bottle of mineral water and gestured toward the dresses. "Shall we get started?"

"Might as well make a dent," Jiyong agreed as he sat down. He was suddenly too nervous to twist the top off his water, much less take a drink.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter