1/1

The First Snow

It was a cold afternoon and Sungmin was on his way home when the first snow began to fall. As he was walking on the street, his mind started to wander, being filled with memories of a certain boy. The boy who he had loved so much, but he had foolishly let go.


***


Sungmin had first met Kyuhyun on a winter day two years ago. He was enjoying his holiday in a ski resort in Gangwondo with his friends, when his attention was caught by a struggling boy. The boy seemed to be having a hard time in skiing, and Sungmin guiltily found the boy's failed attempts adorable. 


Already having a soft spot for the boy, Sungmin decided to approach him and teach him how to ski for free. The boy, apparently named Kyuhyun, delightedly agreed to Sungmin's offer. Sungmin first showed him the step by step process of skiing, and after his demo, he let Kyuhyun have his turn to see if the boy had learn from him. 


"Sungmin! I can now ski by myself! Thank you so- woah!", Kyuhyun was skiing when he turned his head to look for Sungmin but unfortunately there was a rock on the area he was approaching. He was about to fall when Sungmin caught him, but due to the slippery snow, he still fell with Sungmin on top of him. Their lips accidentally touched each other, but neither of them pulled away. Sungmin deepened the kiss by pressing his mouth harder, and Kyuhyun shyly kissed back. After minutes of making out, Sungmin broke the kiss. "Sorry to say but I think this ski tutorial won't be for free anymore."


Kyuhyun blinked his eyes in confusion, "What do you want then?"


"A date", and Sungmin leaned again for another kiss.


***


After a few months of getting to know each other, Sungmin confessing and finally courting Kyuhyun, they started dating each other. Their relationship was going well, not until Sungmin started to have his doubts about their future. 


Sungmin's family were planning to move to Seoul after Christmas, and he wasn't sure if his relationship with Kyuhyun would survive the long distance. So to save the both of them from the eventual pain, Sungmin decided to break up with Kyuhyun.


***


Breaking up with Kyuhyun was the biggest mistake he had made in his whole life. He realized how foolish he was to let go of the precious person who loves him so much. If only he could turn back the time, he wouldn't choose to end his relationship with Kyuhyun. 


He was always wondering what could have happened if he didn't break up with the younger. Would they survive the long distance? Would they still be together now?  He also can't help but wonder how was Kyuhyun after their break up. Did Kyuhyun already forgot about him and moved on? Did Kyuhyun get himself a new lover? Does Kyuhyun still love him?


These 'what ifs' and regrets were filling his mind everytime he was thinking about Kyuhyun.
As much as he wanted to be with Kyuhyun again, all he was hoping for now was to at least see the younger and apologize for hurting him. He will do everything that he can to earn Kyuhyun's trust and forgiveness. He's willing to suffer the consequences of his stupid mistakes, if that's what it takes to be given a second chance with Kyuhyun.


His train of thoughts was cut off when he bumped into another boy while walking on the street. They fell on the snowy ground, with Sungmin on top of the boy. And as if it was a deja vu, their lips accidentally collided with each other. Sungmin had somewhat closed his eyes during the fall and when upon opening them, he gasped in surprise with the sight of that one special person he was dreaming to see.


"K-Kyuhyun?!?", Sungmin slightly pulled away to clearly see the face he had been missing so much. 


"S-Sungmin hyung?!?", Kyuhyun was shocked as well to see his ex-lover again. He didn't expect to have an encounter with Sungmin after their break up. "Uhm hyung, can you stand up already? My back is already freezing from the snow."


Sungmin came back to his senses after his state of shock and quickly jumped back up to his feet. He grabbed Kyuhyun's hand and helped him to get up.


"K-Kyuhyun, h-how are you? It's nice to see you again", Sungmin nervously asked. He wasn't sure what the younger was feeling about their accidental meeting.


"I'm doing well, it's nice to see you again too, Sungmin hyung", Kyuhyun replied giving a small smile.


Sungmin didn't want to miss this chance so he mustered all his courage and asked Kyuhyun out for coffee. Kyuhyun agreed and together, they went to a coffee shop nearby.


"So how are you doing, Kyuhyun? Are you here in Seoul for a vacation?", Sungmin asked after sipping his coffee.


"Uhm actually my family decided to move to Seoul this Christmas, my dad will now be working at the Seoul branch of his office and I'll soon be studying at Kyunghee University."


Sungmin was surprised to know that Kyuhyun was now living in Seoul. "Why didn't you tell me your family would be moving to Seoul too?"


"Well, my family decided to move to Seoul months after uhm, our break up, so I didn't have the chance to tell you", Kyuhyun scratched his head, feeling awkward about their conversation.


"God, I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have asked that. I-I'm sorry for everything, Kyuhyun. I'm sorry for breaking up with you and for hurting you. I should have had more faith in our relationship back then. I was an idiot for letting you go. Please forgive me. I know I don't deserve you, but I'm willing to do everything to be deserving of your love again. Please give me a second chance to prove how much I love you", Sungmin grabbed Kyuhyun's hand, sincerely hoping Kyuhyun would forgive him.


Kyuhyun wiped the tears already running down from Sungmin's face with his hand, "It's ok, Sungmin hyung. I already forgave you. I understand you had your own reason why you have decided to break up with me back then. I admit I still love you and I also want to give you a second chance but I would like to take it slow this time. Can we be friends for now?"


"Thank you, thank you so much Kyuhyun. You don't know how happy I am to hear those words from you. I'm fine with us being friends for now, if that's what you want. Uhm can I hug you though? I mean, friends are allowed to hug each other right?", Sungmin bashfully asked.


Kyuhyun giggled, finding Sungmin's question adorable. "I guess it's ok, since we're friends and it's been a long while since we last saw each other."


Sungmin stood up and sat beside Kyuhyun to hug him properly.


"I miss hugging you so much", Sungmin confessed, tightening the hug. Kyuhyun blushed and hid his face on the crook of Sungmin's neck, "I miss hugging you too hyung."


***


It was getting late so Sungmin and Kyuhyun decided to go home. Sungmin offered to walk Kyuhyun home after knowing that the younger's house was just near the place. 


"So I guess this is goodbye, then. It was really nice seeing you again, Sungmin hyung", Kyuhyun said upon reaching their house.


"I just like to say thank you again, for forgiving me and giving me a second chance to be at least your friend, for now", Sungmin replied. Being friends with Kyuhyun again was a good start, he thought. He just needed to work his way up to officially be Kyuhyun's boyfriend again.


Kyuhyun gave Sungmin a breath taking smile for the last time before he walked towards his house. Sungmin was stunned for a while with his smile, but when he saw that Kyuhyun was already walking farther, he realized he couldn't let him slip away again in his life. He needed to see him again. He couldn't rely solely on fate or luck anymore, just to meet Kyuhyun.


"Wait, Kyuhyun-ah!"


Kyuhyun halted in his tracks upon hearing Sungmin's voice and turned his head to look at the older.


"Can we meet tomorrow for a lunch? I just really wanted to spend my Christmas with you, since I guess you'll be celebrating the eve with your family", Sungmin asked. He was somehow hoping that he could replace their sad break up memory last Christmas with a happy one this year. 


"Ok, just text me the details. I haven't changed my number yet, so I guess you still have it saved on your phone?", Kyuhyun teasingly replied.


"Of course, I still have it on my phone. And in case it wasn't saved, I've memorized it so I won't ever forget it."


Kyuhyun felt a blush creeping up on his cheeks upon hearing Sungmin's reply, "Hey, stop being cheesy hyung! I think you're forgetting we're just friends as of the moment."


"Don't worry, I'll make you fall in love harder with me so I could be your boyfriend again. And when that happens, I'll never stop saying cheesy things to you, my princess", Sungmin tauntingly said with a wink, making Kyuhyun blush even more.