Inked

Inked

A burning sensation on my arm forced me to open my eyes. The sun, the sun is already up. Voices, panicked voices? My body shot up from bed, my uncoordinated mind trying to process what was happening while I stumble onto the carpeted floor. I hurried down the stairs of my loft type apartment, almost missing a step as I do so. My anxious heart pounded against my chest while I barely pick up my phone and coat from the sofa. Ignoring the pain on my arm and how my terror-stricken body functioned, I threw open my apartment door and sprinted towards my neighbor.

 

Even before my hand grasped the brass knob, the door creaked open. “Bella! What is happening?!” my voice louder than normal echoed all over the hall. My neighbor on the other hand, remained calm and looked at me through her lashes. As a response, she smiled and ushered me into her apartment. My confused state didn’t know what to do, what to say, where to go. Seeing me hesitate, she chuckled and finally spoke, “Come in, Xven. Everything’s fine.” Fine? How is this fine? There are people screaming outside our apartment and THAT’S JUST FINE? Bella looked at me with a calm face, her hand gripped my shirt allowing me to walk towards her living room. My eyes trailed off to her TV, the news, it was on.

 

As my tiny head tried to process what was happening, the only words I can understand from the News Anchor was “Soulmate” “Destiny” “Inked” which made no sense at all considering it came from the News. Feeling the back of my knees give up, I slumped onto the sofa, eyes fixed on the television. Barely noticing my neighbor leaving and coming back with a can of soda in her hand, she spoke. “Apparently, most people woke up with a strange ink on their left wrist. Even the news anchors were baffled by it. They say it was related to who we are going to end up with, like our soulmate or the person we are destined to be with.” the sound of carbonated drink being opened swallowed my attention. She handed me the already opened drink with a smile. I received it from her with cold hands, paying her back with a small smile.

 

“Ink? You mean like a tattoo?” she shrugged. “More or less, but it is permanent though. And not even a tattoo removal could work.” she sat beside me, both of our eyes fixated on the television while we continue our conversation. “How did you know it can’t be removed?” her finger pointed on the TV indicating that the news might have mentioned it. That was fast, it just happened today. Wait..

 

My eyes widened with realization, “You mean that burning sensation…?” my voice trailed off as my eyes pull towards my left wrist. Not seeing it clearly, I attempted to pull up my sleeve with a shaking hand. But before I was able to do so, Bella spoke. “Xven, I got Baekhyun.” My head snapped towards her direction. Taking a minute or so, to register what she just said.

 

“THE Baekhyun?” she nodded, her smile growing. I was ecstatic. My body stopped functioning, she moved her left arm towards my face, revealing a visible name on her wrist 변백현. I placed my drink on the coffee table in front of me. My two free hands grasping her arm, trying to sink in what was written on it. My mouth agape, my eyes locked with hers. There was an impeccable amount of silence before we both stood up the sofa and started jumping in glee.

 

We settled back down the sofa after our high. “That is unbelievable.” those were the only words I could make out. Trying to catch her breath, she laughed. “I know, wait ‘till I tell the gang about this.” We talked for half an hour about the reaction we would get from our small group of friends and how we’re going to record it.

 

The news revealed that some wouldn’t get the tattoo, and the age range is not really that important. Some reports say even the elderly woke up with a name on their wrists. Most of them were the names of their significant others, but some aren’t. It was also revealed that not everyone has it. And weirdly enough, you can’t read the name if you haven’t encountered them yet. However, it will appear even if you saw a video of them or a photo of them. Again, a second burning sensation will be felt.

 

Finishing up my 2nd can of soda, a thought came into my head. “! I have one too!” Bella’s eyes went wide and her smirk appeared. I can’t help but feel nervous. Slowly my right hand reached out for the sleeve covering the name on my left arm, and for the 2nd time she interrupted me. “Hang on,” with a heavy heart my attention went back to her. “Let’s make a guess” I sighed, an annoyed and impatient sigh. For the last 30 minutes, we made guesses. Writing down familiar names on a piece of paper. I really don’t know where she pulled it from but we’re here now.

 

“Gabby” I blushed at the mention of the name. Gabby was my long time crush, he was in the same course as me. But, I’m a year higher. “There’s no way it’s Gabby” but my heart hoped differently. Bella snickered, it’s like she’s saying “stop lying you know you like it” but I just shrugged. Upon writing a few more names, I stood up. Without lifting up her head she asked, “Where are you going?”

 

“I’m gonna go back to my room for a sec,” before she could retaliate, I spoke an octave higher to make a point. “And no, I will not look at the name. I’m just gonna go grab some snacks and my laptop.” not waiting for a response, I closed her door behind me. My head pounded, I still can’t register what was happening. Taking slow steps towards my apartment, I was lost in thought. Why is this happening now? Is this real? How come it never happened before? This is so weird. As I open my door, I forcefully closed my eyes and opened them again, low key hoping that this was all just a dream. But it wasn’t. I sighed.

 

Just as I promised, I came back to Bella’s apartment with my laptop and a few snacks on hand. Ignoring her absence at our last location, I headed towards the kitchen. Placing my laptop near the sink. My hands found their way to her fridge, picking up more drinks.

 

I went back to the sofa, laying the contents i have onto the coffee table. I fished out my phone from my coat pocket and started to browse through my SNS accounts. Even though I already knew about the current news, I was still blown away by the amount of people talking about their freshly inked tattoo. Most of the posts were shoutouts to the names on their hands. I frowned at the thought of already knowing who you’re going to end up with. It sounds suffocating.

 

“Have you seen the list of names?” my heart nearly jumped out with the sudden presence of Bella. I placed my phone on my left side before answering her with a No. She made her way to my side and sat down before handing me the piece of paper. Taking a deep breath, my hand reached out towards it. “Why are you so nervous about this?” she wouldn’t understand. She got Baekhyun, her long time crush. EXO’s Lead Vocalist. He was famous, and she has her future fixed. I shot her a glance. “I.. I don’t know. I’m just scared.” my hand automatically went to my neck to check my pulse. “Do you need your meds?” I shook my head and smiled at her. “I’m okay” she gave me a nod.

 

My hands trembled with excitement. I opened the paper, revealing a few names I was familiar with. Scanning through it, I chuckled. And said, “Why isn’t Sehun here” in a joking way. She held up her phone to my face, “Sehun already has someone…” I wasn’t particularly surprised. Disappointed, yes. But nothing to worry about. We both brushed it off and laughed. It wasn’t a big deal.

 

Looking at the names, I never felt anything weird. They were just names. And the real star of the show was on my wrist. It was just waiting for the curtains to be opened. After conversing for a while, we both decided it was time. Excitement and anxiety filled the atmosphere. We’re both sitting on the sofa, facing each other with my left arm extended in between us. Our eyes found each other and with a nod, Bella slowly lifted up my sleeve.

 

With both of my eyes closed, I was lost in thought for a few seconds. To be honest, I wasn’t really expecting for anyone grand. Maybe it was my best friend, maybe it was an old friend, or maybe I haven’t met them yet. My heart was surprisingly calm. Upon hearing a gasp, my eyes shot open revealing an aghast Bella in front of me. Her eyes were tightly fixed on my wrist. Who was it? Was it someone I know? Or is it not readable? Slowly my eyes trailed down my exposed wrist. I was welcomed by… a weird writing.

 

The next two words Bella said echoed in my head. Him?

 

“방찬”