Twenty and Twenty-two

Holiday

Sehun!

The tall guy doesn't need to turn around or look up from his cell phone to know who is calling him.

Going hyung...

It's already become a tradition to spend the holidays like this. Sehun does not know if he is grateful or not. The holidays are the holidays and he would rather be with his family. But spending it with his friends is not bad at all. A break... that would be nice.

Suddenly a loud sound is heard. It's fireworks. And screams. Sehun has already become familiar with those noises that used to frighten him before. And he's on his way. It's time to get ready.

 
What Sehun is never going to get used to is the stomach ache caused by being stunned by the combination of loud music, fireworks and screaming. That's why he prefers to stay a little away from the crowd. From time to time someone shows up and Sehun says hello. Sometimes one of his friends accompanies him. Like now, that Jongdae is next to him.
How much longer hyung? asks the boy, arms folded and leaning against the white wall. The place is so empty that Sehun's voice echoes. The solitude of the place where they are contrasts with the image that can be appreciated a few meters from there.
Just a few minutes. Twenty, I guess. Or something like that... Sehun nods. Woah! shouts Jongdae as he hears the explosion again. Sehun squints. And then he laughs. And Jongdae laughs with him too.
A group of girls appears. But they only see the shadows.
Come on, Sehun.
 
The night is cold. As always in Korea. And Sooyoung curses in her mind whoever made her wear these clothes that don't shelter her from the cold at all. But she knows that's what she has to do. And after all, it will only be a moment.
She knows that this ends with her catching a cold. It always ends like this.
It's too cold, unnie...
Seulgi looks at her smiling.
It won't be long, Sooyoung.
She tries to warm her arms slightly by rubbing, but that heat does not last more than a few seconds. Luckily in a few minutes, perhaps an hour, she will be sleeping.
 
Sehun hears a scream and immediately looks for its source. It seems to belong to a girl. But no one is around. It's not uncommon for someone to get scared after all. It's December 31st and fireworks explosions are common.
Come on Sehun, it's time. Now it's Chanyeol shouting.
Yes.
Sehun starts walking towards his friends when... another explosion.
Sehun only sees a shadow but there is a girl who is there covering her ears, and next to her there is another one, of smaller stature, embracing her.
Are you okay? asks Sehun.
When the girls recognize him, the first thing they do is bow. Sehun does the same.
Yes, I'm fine. Thank you. Says the tallest girl.
Okay, says Sehun smiling.
Sooyoung! Someone screams but this time Sehun doesn't try to see where the scream comes from. He is there. Thinking about something but he doesn't know what.
Coming, answers the girl, and starts walking, leaving Sehun behind. Alone and thinking. But not for long. Because Chanyeol calls him again.
 
Sooyoung.
He has heard that before. But when? Sehun cannot stop thinking about it all the way, even though he has his friends around and even though many people are greeting him.
 
Ah! it's over...
Tired, Sooyoung?
Cold, answers Seungwan, and Sooyoung smiles, already with a jacket on.
Go change.
Another year that Sooyoung begins in the company of her friends. The memories of spending the holidays with her family are long gone. Shopping with her mother or sisters, decorating the tree, accompanying her father to buy his mother's gift at the last minute, preparing the table... Although she can't help feeling a little nostalgia for those memories, she doesn't complain. Sooyoung is not the kind of person who thinks that all time past was always better, on the contrary, she always looks forward. And she just wants this year to be much better than last year. And that it is also better for her family.
 
Sehun, what is it?
Mmm? Sehun is still stuck in thought. Of course, his friends are not so surprised by the lack of attention. After all, the boy is a bit absent-minded at times.
Is something wrong? Do you miss your family?
Your dog? Baekhyun asks.
Sehun smiles.
Oh yes, I wonder what is he doing?.... will he be afraid of the fireworks?
 
Hey!
Sooyoung and her friends turn around and see Sehun. For some reason, he is there in the parking lot with them and not on his way home. But no one knows why.
Sehun? asks Seoulgi.
Can I talk to you? says Sehun as he stares at Sooyoung.
We were leaving... she answers.
Just a second.
Sooyoung looks at her friends, who also don't understand what is going on. They do not know each other. Well, yes. They know each other but have never spoken. They are not close enough for him to be asking her to speak to her alone. They have no friends in common. They don't work together. What can he have to say to me? thinks Sooyoung.
Do you still have the stuffed animal?
Sooyoung frowns.
What?
Sehun laughs nervously.
The stuffed animal... It was a... rabbit I think.
I don't know what you're talking about.
You don't remember, 10 years ago, or something like that.
Sooyoung looks at him with an expression of surprise and confusion that makes Sehun think that maybe she doesn't remember, or maybe it wasn't even her.
What are you talking about? asks Seulgi, and Sehun stops looking at Sooyoung for the first time in the conversation.
Nothing, I just thought we had met before. Many years ago, when we were children. Sehun looks back at Sooyoung who is still frowning. I was 11 or 10 years old and I was shopping with my friends. In an arcade. And there was a girl... whose name was Sooyoung...
Maybe it was someone else, says Seulgi, trying to avoid the uncomfortable moment for everyone.
Maybe, says Sehun smiling at them. I'm sorry, really. Oh, what a shame. Well, I'm sorry for stopping you. See you soon.
 
Sehun has a rather low threshold of shame, which prevents him from doing stupid things. Most of the time at least, because he also has moments like the one he experienced in front of the girls. The car ride with her friends is quiet, but tiredness is the best excuse he has. And it's the same excuse any of them could use. But Sehun is not tired. He is angry with himself and a little embarrassed. What are the odds that the girl he met more than ten years ago could be this one? Minimal, perhaps none. Clearly none.
Sehun's phone vibrates once more.
Hey :) A notification in his instagram. A private message. Another one. But in his private account.
                            Hi (?
                            Do we know each other?
Sehun takes the opportunity to answer a few more messages while waiting for a reply. In the holiday season, there is always someone to greet. And Sehun doesn't always have the time.
Sooyoung
Sehun is surprised and feels shame again.
                          Ah
                          Sorry again.
                          I mistook you for someone else.
Sehun hits his head not so softly with the phone, thinking why he was such an idiot to act impulsively in front of a girl he barely knows.
It's okay.
Don't worry :)
We can talk about your story someday.
I don't know, while we're having a drink maybe?
Sehun is surprised. And honestly, he doesn't want to deal with it right now, he just wants her to forget it and go to sleep. He decides not to answer. He will answer tomorrow if he feels like it.
After a few minutes, the phone vibrates again. He doesn't want to read the message, but it's not right to leave her alone in this conversation.
Sehun?
                                  Yes?
What do you think?
Have a drink with me one of these days?
                                   I don't know
                                   I don't have a problem,
                                   but we don't even know each other.
Just invite me, please?...
Sehun smiles nervously at the phone, not knowing that on the other side Sooyoung's heartbeat is becoming faster.
                                    Okay, let's have a drink.
                                    What do you want to drink?
                                    We could go for pizza if you want.
No.
It's cold :(
Sehun is starting to get tired of this game that he doesn't want to play.
                                         Tell me what you want to drink, Sooyoung.
Hot Chocolate.
                                         Ok.
                                             One of these days let's go and drink
                                       Hot Chocolate.
That's it?
                                          Do you need anything else?
Nope Sehun.
See you :)
                                          See you Sooyoung.
                                          Have a good start of the year.
You too, Sehun.
 
Sehun doesn't know how to feel. Without thinking about it, he was forced into a date with a girl in front of whom, minutes before, he had embarrassed himself. Forced by the girl herself. And it was also she who chose what they were going to drink. But he likes to think that the year had not started badly for him.
 
Fool of him to assume that the night was over.
Sehun?
                                            What?
The hot chocolate...
Can we put some bear-shaped
marshmallows on it, please?
;)
 
Sehun can't complain. The Sooyoung of the present holiday was indeed the Sooyoung of the past one. And not only that, but now he has a date with her, where they will drink hot chocolate with bear-shaped marshmallows. And although he couldn't spend the holidays with his family, he had his friends with him. After all, not everyone celebrates New year on a stage like EXO Sehun. And not everyone has a date with Red Velvet Joy.
Sehun can't ask for more.
 
 
Welllllllll this is the end of this holiday special. Yes, with only two chapters (THE laziness). But I'll be back! I promise.
And I just wanted to wish all of you a great end of the year and an even better 2019.
I'm really thankful for each one of you that have read what I wrote here. Thank you very much!
I'm also a reader and one day I decided to start writing. It took like 2 years for me. So, if you have writing in your bucket list for this new year just do it!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it doesn't even have to be good as you can see in my writings lol. Just write if it makes you happy. I know it makes me happy.
And it also applies to whatever is your wish this year! Just do it, everything takes work but we can do it!
Let's meet again in 2019! And continue loving this two cuties that are Sooyoung and Sehun! (And EXO and RV, of course).