Prologue

Kyungsoo: The Dancing King

My name is Do Kyungsoo, and I’m a simple man with a simple life.

I graduated high school and college as an average student. Not bad. Not brilliant. Just average. I also share an average apartment with a young adult artist called Byun Baekhyun that spends most of his time out of town selling his paintings. Thank god, because he’s usually really loud and obnoxious.

Although I wasn’t able to find a job in the past six months, I’m an adult; but my looks don’t match up to my age at all. Despite being so short, I’m 25 years old.

However, there was nothing about that day’s warm and sunny summer day to suggest that strange and unexpected things would soon be happening. As unsuspecting as I’ve always been, I left my apartment to buy my usual morning pastry from the local bakery, when a huge motorbike with a giant child riding it stopped right beside him.

“Good morning, citizen.” He said. I vividly remember that he was wearing a suit (which is not a common outfit when riding such a dirty motorbike.) with a nameplate that spelled Oh Sehun in bold black lettering.

“Good morning.” I replied back with the palm of my hand covering my mouth to protect the other from my morning breath since I strictly refuse to brush my teeth before eating breakfast. Besides... It was way too early for human interaction. “What do you need, young man?” I asked.  

“Would you please fill in one of these flyers?” Sehun requested, handing me a paper vertically folded in half.

“L-Look… I don’t have time for this… I…I…” I tried to get myself out of that awkward situation. I just wanted to eat breakfast. I was starving.

“Please. It’s just some basic information. Just for… statistics, you know?” he insisted, handing me the pen this time.

So I filled it in.

I filled it in because I wanted him to leave.

I wanted him to leave because I was hungry as hell.

But…

That wasn’t an ordinary flyer.

No…

That was an application for a Dance Program.

Let me tell you one thing about myself.

I hate dancing.

In fact, I hate anything that’ll make me move more than it is necessary.

I tried calling to cancel my subscription but I would have to pay a huge fee. It was so much money that my brain blanked out the information and I can’t remember the numbers.

Well…

My name is Do Kyungsoo. I’m 25 years old, unemployed. I’m unfortunately currently participating in Seoul’s Elite Dance Program. I’m short, I’m smart, and most importantly… I hate dancing.