o7. Unexpected

Between the Living and the Dead.

"Chaewon! I won't disturb, I promise, just keep that in your pocket please! Ugh, the smell of it, I CAN ALREADY SMELL IT FROM HERE! Put it back in!" Namu screeched, scrunching up his face, looking disgusted.

"Alright, but you promised not to interrupt us studying. I didn't know you were such a coward." I stuffed the garlic deep down my pocket.

"Damn, I hate how you know my weakness, now I can't threaten you anymore. Garlic of all things!" He snorted.

Thanks to the garlic I had in my pocket, Namu didn't make any mess in the library, but he had a good time exploring as well as looking for faces that looked like the assassin. Although I seriously thought it wasn't a good idea to murder anyone in the library. I really didn't know how he planned to take revenge on the girl he was looking for. He doesn't seem like the type to slowly torture and watch his victim scream in pain, neither did he seem like the type to just take one's life away in an instance. 

I tried reading through some books in the library that hopefully might assist to understanding spirits, but eventually I get creeped out by the images and I will give up. I'm not sure how Namu is like; at times he's like a kid - playful, curious, bad at making rational decisions, if not he'd seem like he has really deep thoughts, like a mature adult. I'll never figure him out.

"Hey, Chaewon, it's almost lunch time, let's go. I'm sick of working on these math equations already." Myungsoo nudged.

"Where do you want to have lunch?" I asked Myungsoo as I grabbed Namu's shirt, signalling that we were leaving.

"The usual place we eat after school I guess."

I nodded, having no objections as we made our way to the restaurant.

The three of us stood at the pedestrian crossing, waiting for the red light to turn green so we could cross the road to the other side where the restaurant was. Namu pressed the button a couple of times, laughing like an immature kid, but immediately stopped once he sniffed the garlic in my pocket. He shifted to stand in between Myungsoo and I, and tried to take a peek at the message Myungsoo was typing on his phone. Just then, the light turned green, and I called out to Myungsoo saying that we could cross. I ran to the other side as if having a race, but was suddenly pushed aside when I heard a car's horn blaring. 

Due to being pushed over unexpectedly, there were several scratches and bruises on my arms and knees, but when I came to my senses, I turned around to see Myungsoo lying on the ground, cringing. His left leg was badly injured, wounds, bruises and scratches everywhere else, scaring his skin. The driver stumbled out of his car, obviously drunk. People around us called for an ambulance, while others called the police. I gaped at Myungsoo's bloody appearance, my body weak, rooted to the spot. 

Myungsoo was breathing heavily, wincing as the cold wind blew over his wound. Panicked, I could only assure him that the ambulance would be coming soon, and that he'll be alright...

"Myungsoo, I'm so sorry, I- I should have been more aware, I shouldn't have-"

"Shhh," is all Myungsoo managed to say.

Tears sprang to my eyes and I was crying because what the heck, my best friend is in this situation because I was so oblivious to my surroundings.

"Why did you try to be the hero, you idiot? You could have just let me die there, at least Namu wouldn't bother any of us anymore." I sobbed.

Myungsoo had his eyes shut, patiently enduring the pain as we waited for the ambulance's arrival.

"By then, it'll just be him if you're dead." Namu piped up.

I glanced up at him and he shook his head, saying that he can't help.

The loud blaring noises of an ambulance and a police car arrived at the scene. The policemen arrested the drunk driver who sprawled on the floor, currently unconscious. The paramedics ran over to Myungsoo with a stretcher, and quickly escorted him to the back of the ambulance to give treatment. 

"You're bruised and you have a few light wounds, you should come along too. Are you a relative?" A paramedic questioned me.

"A friend." My voice came out hoarse.

Namu took the seat next to mine, and we watched the paramedics do what they do best - they have to keep Myungsoo alive.

"Break a leg, bro." Namu whispers.

---

"Excuse me miss, what is your blood type?"

"Um, O positive. Is there anything wrong? Is Myungsoo okay?"

"Ah, that's great!  Well, apparently he has serious blood loss, and we don't have sufficient blood in the blood bank, so do you mind if you donate some blood to your friend?"

"Of course not! Please, you have to save him." I pleaded.

"Calm down miss. You'll have to take a test first, to make sure you're not sick or having any disease."

"Alright." I sighed.

"Calm down miss." Namu imitated, and I found myself too tired to even want to glare at him.

---

"Oh my God, when I said break a leg, I didn't really mean break a leg!" Namu exclaimed after we both receive news from the doctor that Myungsoo is in a stable condition except for the fact that his left leg is injured and he'll have to have a cast on for approximately two weeks.

"Well, good job Namu." My words dripped with sarcasm.

"You're welcome."

"Hey Namu, what happened then? I was in a blur I really don't know anything. Please explain. Ugh, I'm so tired." I took the seat next to Myungsoo who was lying in bed.

"Well, basically, the airhead that you are ran over when you were crossing the road, and some sickly drunk driver's car swerved over from the corner even though it was obviously a red light, but it wasn't like he could comprehend that, and yeah you could have gotten yourself killed, but Myungsoo-perman decided to be a hero and well, he took the hit for you. Good job, Chaewon." He added the last line of purpose, with the intention of mocking me because of my use of sarcasm earlier.

I sighed, again.

"You think he'll be okay?" It felt like I was asking myself more than it was like asking Namu.

Before Namu had a chance to reply, Myungsoo stirred, rubbing his eyes, exhausted and tired.

"Myungsoo!"

"Argh, I'm fine... but it hurts." He looked at his cast for a very long while before turning to me. "Um, Chaewon, who's that?" He points to the spot beside me, where Namu is, who looks at me bewildered. 

I turn back to Myungsoo, and I don't know how to respond to that.

________________________________________________

REJOICE. I updated.

I took like half a day to write this omg I seriously didn't know what to do with this fanfic. I will try to update whenever I can <3