Mirage

Mirage

In one corner of her room, a lady with long hazel colored hair sits while watching the autumn leaves fall off the tree outside her window. Flashes of memories start flooding her mind and a faceless figure is in each and every one of them. It has been months but she can’t seem to remember who it was. The only thing that she knows is that she feels a sharp pang in her heart whenever it crosses her mind.


The lady was disturbed from her daydream when she heard a knock on her door. She stared at it before answering, “Come in,” she said and the person behind was revealed.


“It’s been a long while since we went out together,” the girl with jet black hair whined as she plopped down on the lady’s bed.


“Minjoo,” the lady called out but she was met with a sigh, “I know something is bothering you. I’m your best friend and I hate seeing you like that,” the girl addressed as Minjoo looked at the lady with intensity, “What really happened that day, Hyewon? Why were you a crying mess when you called? Heck, you even got into an accident,” frustration was evident in Minjoo’s voice but Hyewon did not wince nor show any reaction.


Minjoo stood up and sat by Hyewon’s feet, “You can tell me everything, Hyewon. Your parents are as worried as I am. They knew you wouldn’t tell them but they are hoping I would be able to help you. Let me do that, will you?” it was more like a plea than a favor. Minjoo’s eyes started getting watery. Hyewon reached for the other girl’s head to pat it, “I would ask for help if I knew what my problem was,” Minjoo looked confused so Hyewon just gave her a small smile.


“What do you mean? You’re obviously bothered by something, Hyewon,” Minjoo said as she crossed her legs to sit properly.


Hyewon got down from her chair to sit beside Minjoo, “I don’t really know. Fragments of my memories were of someone but I couldn’t remember their face. It was blurred out,” Hyewon put her head down, “I have been dreaming of the same person, too. I try reaching out my hand but whenever I do, they slowly fade away. I wake up with tears in my eyes,” Hyewon balled her fists feeling kind of ashamed.


Minjoo put her hand on Hyewon’s back, “How did you know it was the same person if you can’t see the face?”


Hyewon looked up to Minjoo and met with her gaze, “Because I feel it. I feel the same pain in my heart every single time,” Hyewon clutched her chest and tears jerked out of her eyes. Minjoo was quick to hug her friend and give her comfort. 


The two stayed in each other’s arms until Hyewon calmed down. She opened to speak but shut it close after a second. Minjoo noticed this so she took the initiative instead, “What were you about to say?” the innocent girl asked. Hyewon’s eyes darted from in every direction except Minjoo’s. She tries to think of how to say what she wants without hurting her friend, “I,” she started and Minjoo listened, “I need to be alone. I need time to gather my thoughts. I don’t think I’m ready to share this trouble with anyone,” Hyewon looked down as she played with her fingers. Minjoo chuckled, “I understand. Give me a call when you need company, okay?” Hyewon almost snapped her neck when she immediately looked up upon hearing what Minjoo just said. Hyewon saw her best friend’s usual smile where Minjoo’s eyes curve into crescents and dimples appear right under her eyes. The older girl smiles at the sight before saying goodbye.


When she was alone again, Hyewon’s eyes travelled around her room. She took in every detail as if she just saw them for the first time. She usually did this every time she is thinking deeply—paying attention to the smallest things. Her eyes stopped on her shelf filled with manga that she finished a long time ago. For some reason, she stood up and walked towards the said shelf. She took one of the manga books she had and when she read the title, warm tears flowed down her cheeks and there goes the familiar pang on her heart. She stared the cover of the Cardcaptor Sakura manga and her index finger lingered on the word Sakura.


Hyewon closed her eyes due to the sudden headache she is experiencing. She dropped the manga and put her hands on her head, hoping that it would stop the pain. There it goes again. Unknown memories start to fill her mind followed by an unknown pain in her heart. She is remembering something and slowly the faceless figure becomes clear, “Sakura,” Hyewon says out of the blue and it even surprised herself. At the mention of that, the figure’s face was not too blurry but it was still unrecognizable. 


This time, Hyewon tried to continue remembering. She focused on the figure, trying her best not to make it fade. And then it hit her. With a final pang in her heart, the faceless figure finally revealed her face. Hyewon has her eyes closed but she knows tears kept streaming down her face. She fell down to her knees as she kept muttering the name of the girl she forgot, “I’m sorry,” she said as she sobbed, “I’m sorry, Sakura.”


Three years ago…


Hyewon is sitting quietly in an anime-themed café. She usually goes here to read manga without getting disturbed by anyone. She leans back on her chair as she reads through the chapters of Cardcaptor Sakura. Her eyebrows furrowed since she already reached the part full of action. Her heart races at every turn of the page until she gets pulled back to reality with a tap on her shoulder. Hyewon looks over, feeling a little angry and annoyed, only to find a girl with mid-length hair and full bangs standing beside her.


“Yes?” Hyewon asked while raising her eyebrows.
The other girl averted her gaze to the floor and she started playing with her fingers, “Sorry but all other seats were taken except this one. Are you perhaps waiting for anyone?” she asks still fiddling with her long slender fingers.


Hyewon hums and gestures towards the empty seat. She acts this way because she did not want to engage in a conversation with the stranger.


“Thank you,” the girl sits down with her cup of coffee, based on Hyewon’s senses. Hyewon looked at the new girl, dumbfounded, before moving her manga books closer to her. It was a safety precaution in case the other girl is clumsy.


Hyewon continued to read and flip through the pages when the girl sitting next to her suddenly stood, hitting the table, and what Hyewon feared the most happened. Hyewon was wide eyed as she let her adrenaline get the best of her and save her manga books—but it was too late for the bottommost one.


The brown liquid filled the white table until the waiter came and cleaned it. Hyewon wants to shout at the other girl but she did not want to cause a scene. She clenched her fists as her jaw started to be tense. She looked at the other girl, who surprisingly looks as shaken as she is, “I’m sorry,” the girl muttered while bowing. Hyewon is not having any of it so she just walked away without saying anything—the manga soaked with coffee was dripping on her way out.


Hyewon was raging but she kept her composure. She couldn’t afford tainting her reputation as a quiet and modest lady. She just walked quietly, gripping her manga book tight which caused the liquid it had absorbed flow between Hyewon’s fingers. The girl could only close her eyes to try and calm herself down.


“Wait,” she heard a familiar voice call out so she turned around only to see the girl from earlier running towards her in a weird manner. Not wanting to lose her cool, Hyewon her heel to get out of there. She continued walking but she was stopped in her tracks when the girl reached her wrist and made her turn.


Now annoyed, Hyewon took a sharp breath, “What do you want now?” she spat and the other girl flinched. Hyewon would feel bad but the other girl had it coming.


“I’m sorry about what happened to your manga. I’ll replace it with mine if you want. I really feel bad,” the other girl looked down again and fiddled with her finger. Hyewon could also see that she was chewing on her lower lip.


Hyewon raised the damaged book, “This is trash already. You won’t want it,”


The other girl shook her head, “It’s my fault so I insist. If I don’t have that in my collection, I’ll just buy you a new one,”


Hyewon scoffed, “I bought this as soon as it was released. It was in mint condition and I haven’t read it yet but you and your coffee just had to ruin it. How would you replace its value, huh?”


The girl shut her eyes closed, “Let me have a look. I might have it,” she was persistent so Hyewon just sighed in sarcasm. The other girl slowly opened her eyes and checked the book—a smile formed on her face. “I have this one, too. I haven’t opened the package yet so you don’t need to worry about its condition,” she looked up to Hyewon, “It’s as good as new. I had it delivered from Japan,” she smiled and Hyewon felt her heart beat hard.


The other girl reached her hand out, “I’m Sakura. If you don’t mind, can I get your contact details so I could schedule a meet up whenever you’re free?” she tilted her head as she waited for Hyewon’s reply.


Hyewon shook her hand, “Hyewon,” she said and pulled her hand away immediately. She took her phone out and put it in front of Sakura, “Save your number. I’ll text you when I’m free,” the girl smiled wider and tapped on Hyewon’s phone. Sakura immediately left while waving good bye at Hyewon but the latter did not even bat an eye. Hyewon looked at her new contact and she couldn’t believe that the other girl saved her name as ‘Cardcaptor Sakura <3’. Hyewon renamed it to ‘Annoying girl from café’ before putting away her phone. 


That same night, Hyewon finished the manga she was reading and was about to reach for the next part when she realized it was the book that got destroyed earlier. She cursed under her breath and immediately reached for her phone. She typed a short message addressed to Sakura: ‘Tomorrow. 8 am. Anime café. No chats, I just need to finish reading.’ After quite some time, she received a reply: ‘Copy that :)’ Hyewon tucked herself to bed after that. 


The next morning, Hyewon rushed out and this surprised her parents. She went out without a word because all she could think of right now is finishing that damn manga. She arrived at the café five minutes before eight. She entered and looked around for any signs of Sakura but the latter didn’t seem to have arrived. Hyewon took a seat and waited.


Five minutes passed but the other girl still hasn’t arrived. Hyewon decided to try and call her but she couldn’t reach Sakura. Hyewon was about to storm out when a huffing Sakura appeared in front of her, a familiar book, still in its plastic cover, in her hands and is currently being offered to Hyewon. 


Sakura was panting but in between her breathes, she tried to explain, “I’m sorry for being late. There was suddenly a construction work near the area where I live,” she bowed and waited for Hyewon to get the manga. 


Hyewon stood up and took the manga book out of Sakura’s hands, “Thanks,” she uttered before walking past the short-haired girl. Sakura turned around, “Don’t you want to eat?” she asked. Hyewon looked over, her eyebrows are furrowed again, “I said I didn’t want to chat,” Hyewon said.


Suddenly, Hyewon’s stomach grumbled and Sakura pursed her lips to keep herself from laughing. Sakura cleared , “My treat. You don’t have to talk, let’s just have a silent breakfast,” Hyewon sighed and dropped her shoulders as she took a seat across Sakura.


Sakura was the one who ordered because Hyewon was already focused on reading. Sakura clearly wanted to talk to Hyewon but the latter doesn’t care. When their food arrived, Hyewon put the book away and ate quietly. Sakura opened to speak when Hyewon did so before her, “Keep whatever you want to say to yourself. I said I didn’t want to chat,” it was a rather cold remark so Sakura leaned on the table and rested her chin on her hand.


“You’re too moody considering you are a weeb,” Sakura smirked.


“I’m a what?” Hyewon snickered, finally looking at Sakura.


“I thought you didn’t want to talk,” Hyewon’s mouth was left agape. She sighed to compose herself again before continuing to devour her meal.


“Don’t ever do anything else aside from reading manga? I bet you’re failing at your school,” Sakura’s goal is to annoy the hell out of Hyewon until the latter decides to talk.


“You’re very antisocial. Characters in Cardcaptor Sakura promote friendship. Look at Sakura and Cerberus,” Sakura said but to no avail.


“Do you watch anime or are you stuck with manga?” Sakura tried again.


Hyewon just kept munching on her food and letting Sakura talk. When she finished, Hyewon stood up and took the manga with her. She walked out of the café, Sakura right on her trail.


“I just want to be friends. What is wrong with you?” Sakura shouted. Hyewon turned around to face her, “I don’t want you as a friend,” she coldly said and truth be told, it hurt Sakura.


Sakura took a step closer to Hyewon, “One month. I’ll pester you for one month and if by the end you still don’t want me as a friend, then I’ll leave you for good,” Sakura sound desperate and it only annoyed Hyewon more.


“Why are you even going for me?”


“Because I see something special in you,” Sakura honestly answered and Hyewon was surprised; however, she did not show it.


For Hyewon, Minjoo is the only friend that she needs. The younger girl was the only who could endure her personality and Minjoo was also quiet so she does not disturb Hyewon during her reading. Sakura is the complete opposite of Minjoo so Hyewon would like to shut her off from her life.


“Please?” Sakura asked, sincerity painted all over her face. Hyewon sighed, “Fine,” she said.


Hyewon only agreed because she knew that she wouldn’t be able to withstand the other girl. It was only a month—she could try to tolerate Sakura for a month.


“Thanks!” Sakura exclaimed before throwing herself to Hyewon which caught the latter by surprise. Hyewon swallowed because she was feeling nervous for no reason at all.


Sakura was the one who broke the hug and she gave Hyewon a wide smile before leaving.


Hyewon put her heart over her chest to feel it thumping. She furrows her eyebrows trying to grasp the situation, “Oh no,” she whispers to herself when she starts thinking about the numerous manga she has read. She shook her head to rid herself of the thought.


Days went by and Sakura didn’t leave Hyewon alone. The latter would usually reach the end of her patience but she remembers that Sakura is a year older. As much as she wants to hit her, she couldn’t because it was something out of her principles. Today, they met at the same café and Hyewon questions herself why she hasn’t bought any ear plugs yet.


“Tell me about your day,” Sakura leaned on the table and cupped her face with her own two hands.


Hyewon raised a brow, “The day just started,” she coldly answered and was about to pick up the manga book she brought to kill time when Sakura took it before her and hid it on her back. “Give it back,” Hyewon was serious but Sakura did not flinch, something that was surprising for the younger girl considering that when they first met, Sakura would be startled by the smallest things.


“This day, we will be talking. Stop hiding in your manga books,” Sakura said and distaste was evident. Hyewon balled her fists, “I’m doing you a favor by not talking. Now, give me back my manga,” she said but Sakura wasn’t having any of it, “I’m older than you so you have to follow me,” she was stern, “I’m not your puppy,” Hyewon’s blood started to boil.


“I only have two weeks left with you. Let me have a glimpse of your friendly side, please,” Sakura looked at Hyewon with eyes filled with sadness.


“Why are you even doing this much for me? I already told you, I’m just tolerating you and I have no interest in being friends,” Hyewon calmly said.
Sakura gave her a small smile, “I already told you that I found you special,”


Hyewon shook her head, “That is nonsense!”


“Believe me. Out of all the people here, why was I led to you? I really didn’t have a choice but to sit with you. I am usually a careful person but suddenly I became clumsy that day. There was something, Hyewon. We were bound to meet,” Sakura’s eyes glimmered.


Hyewon looked at her, “You watched too much anime and read a lot of manga. Your reality is becoming twisted,” she shook her head. She was surprised when Sakura softly slammed her fist on the table, “Look at me, Hyewon,” Sakura’s voice became authoritative; Hyewon followed.


“Doesn’t your heart feel like it wanted to get out of your chest whenever we’re together? Mine does,” the amount of exposure Hyewon had from reading and watching was not enough to prepare her for this kind of moment. She shifted her gaze from Sakura to the table. The older girl’s shoulders drop in disappointment.


“Fine. If you really want to get rid of me, I’ll move my flight to Japan by Monday. That’s the soonest I could get so just hang on until then,” Sakura stood up and handed Hyewon the manga she took earlier. The older girl brought her phone out and dialed a number, “See you tomorrow, Hyewon,” she bid the younger goodbye and started walking away.


Hyewon looked at the One Piece manga she is currently holding right now. She suddenly realizes that in the past few days, Sakura gave her a complete day. Without actually knowing it, Hyewon would look forward to the day ahead. She might not admit it but instantly, Sakura became a constant in her life and Hyewon does not know why she is holding herself back. She thought things through and when she finally decided, she bolted out of the café to search for her treasure before she loses it completely.


She ran outside but immediately stopped when she noticed someone chuckle right after she got out of the door. She turned her head and her jaw dropped in surprise. Before Hyewon could speak, Sakura pulled her close and hugged her, “You figured out, didn’t you?” Sakura said but Hyewon did not answer. Instead, the younger girl wrapped her hands around Sakura’s frame to return the hug.


“Don’t go,” Hyewon said but Sakura shook her head, “I have to leave one day,” the older girl replied to which Hyewon tightened her hug.


As they went home, Sakura forces Hyewon to promise that she will properly reply to text messages. The younger girl whined and complained at first but she couldn’t do anything about it. Hyewon thought that she could reply late (or don’t at all) and annoy Sakura.


Night fell and as soon as Hyewon finished eating she headed to her room and sat up on her bed. Her phone is in her hands and she stares at the screen to wait for Sakura’s message. She keeps on blinking while staring at her wallpaper. Suddenly, Sakura’s name appeared on screen and Hyewon furrowed her eyebrows at the sight. She did not answer it and as soon as it stopped, Sakura sent her a message saying: ‘I know that you would purposely answer late. Answer the damn call dummy.’ Hyewon clicked her tongue because she couldn’t outsmart Sakura. When Sakura’s name showed up again, Hyewon lazily answered but Sakura seemed to be in a good mood.


“Good,” Sakura said, “I thought you’d ignore me and sleep,”


“That’s a good idea. I’ll do that. Bye,” Hyewon replied but before she could put down her phone, she heard the older girl shout, “You promised, Hyewon!”


“I said text messages not call,”


“Why do you keep making yourself mysterious, anyway? I’m sure I’m not the only one that you keep shutting off,”


Silence was Hyewon’s answer. She wasn’t used to people forcing themselves into her life. Since she was young, Minjoo was the only friend that she had but she was fine with it. Other people just annoy the hell out of her unlike Minjoo. Despite being friends for so long, Hyewon knows that she hasn’t opened up to Minjoo yet. It was always the other girl who keeps on talking and running to Hyewon for company. Hyewon didn’t feel the need to turn to Minjoo whenever she’s troubled—it was a waste of time which she could use to devote on her hobby.


After a long silence, Sakura sighed, “Hyewon,” she called out.


“Why did you want to talk over call when we could message instead?” Hyewon’s voice was full of curiosity with a hint of annoyance.


“It’s more genuine this way. We could feel each other’s sincerity. Don’t you like it that way?”


“No. It’s bothersome,”


“Isn’t it more of a bother tapping on your phone rather than just talking?”


“I don’t type long messages,”


“It’s still faster when you speak,”


“Okay,” Hyewon just accepted it because she really didn’t want this conversation in the first place.


Aware that silence is about to fall again, Sakura opened a new topic, “If you don’t want me to keep asking you stuff, then you could go ahead and ask me,”


Hyewon thought for a while before asking, “What was I supposed to figure out? You told me that earlier,”


“You like me, don’t you?” it was a straightforward answer but Hyewon didn’t flinch.


“What makes you think that way?”


“Deny all you want but you can’t lie to yourself. I heard your heart earlier when we hugged. My heart also beats fast whenever you’re around. To be honest, I think I have fallen,” 


“Isn’t that too fast?”


“Aren’t you too dense?” it was an attack on Hyewon.
“I’m thinking rationally,”


“Stop acting like you know everything. Just be honest to yourself, Hyewon,”


“I am. I don’t like nor love you. Don’t force me into admitting what isn’t true,”


Sakura took that blow but she kept her cool, “Do you really not feel anything? Hyewon, I’m already confessing to you. I want you to do the same,”


“I already told you I don’t feel the same way you do,” Hyewon is now gripping her phone tight.


“Why did you go after me? Why did you ask me not to go if you don’t feel the same?” Sakura choked.


“I,” Hyewon thought of an answer but she realized that there wasn’t one. She sighed and lied down on her side. She stared at her manga shelf and let silence take over the call.


Tears fell down from Sakura’s cheeks, “There’s no point for me to stay if you will continue this act. You’re hurting me, Hyewon,”


Hyewon was baffled but she just closed her eyes and let Sakura talk, “I guess you really don’t like me. I’m such a fool for holding on to what you said. I hate myself for believing there was something. I’m stupid because we’ve only known each other for a few weeks yet I thought you felt the same. I should’ve known better,” Sakura was sobbing.


Hyewon opened her eyes and was about to say something when the call suddenly ended. She stared at her screen, thinking of what to do next. She dialed Sakura’s number but the older girl wasn’t answering. She tried again and again and again and again—but Sakura kept on ignoring her. Convinced that the older girl won’t be answering her call, Hyewon decided to message Sakura. 


Hyewon’s message was ignored yet again. She sighed as she put her phone down. She stood up and grabbed one manga from her shelf. She felt like rereading one of them. She sat down her study table and read. While flipping through the pages, Hyewon heard her phone ringing but she did not bother answering it because she was too focused on the manga. The ring did not stop and it annoyed Hyewon to the point the she took her phone to put it on silent but she stopped when the screen flashed Sakura’s name. She pouted her lips while thinking of what to do; in the end, she took the call.


“Now what do you want? Stop this push and pull, Hyewon,” Hyewon heard Sakura sniff—she must’ve been crying.


“Sorry,”


Sakura didn’t answer so Hyewon continued, “I’m sorry that I couldn’t return what you felt for me. I don’t want to give you any false hopes but I think you are special, too. You’re right; my heart goes crazy whenever I see you. I don’t know why it does that. I thought you ought to know,”


“It’s because you like me too, idiot,” Sakura suddenly talked and Hyewon was surprised.


“Aren’t you supposed to know when you like someone? I don’t know if I really like you,”


“That’s because you don’t want to admit it,”
Hyewon bit her lower lip. She is now scared to speak because Sakura is slowly talking some sense into her.  Her heart starts beating fast trying to figure out what Sakura is to her. She sighs in defeat, “Maybe I do like you,”


Sakura smiles, “Maybe?” she asked teasingly. 


Hyewon grunts, “I’m getting there, Sakura. Let me figure this out myself,” she heard Sakura chuckle.


“Okay, okay. I understand,” Sakura answered and it made Hyewon unconsciously smile.


The following day, Hyewon decided to have a proper conversation with Sakura. They were able to know each other better. Hyewon was amazed at Sakura’s story. Although she was born and raised in Japan, the older girl decided to complete her studies in South Korea. She has been living in the country for years and would occasionally fly back to her home for vacation. While they were talking, Hyewon observed the sadness in Sakura’s eyes.


“I usually go home to be with my family during school breaks but sometimes, I go home to unwind,” the smile in Sakura’s face was small. Hyewon wanted to know why she was feeling down but she couldn’t get herself to ask. In the end, Hyewon just listened to Sakura without asking the latter.


The day ended and, for some reason, Hyewon saw a glimmer of happiness in Sakura’s eyes as they bid each other goodbye.


Days went by and the two got to know each other better. When things were slowly falling into place, a bad news fell upon them.


“Hyewon, I’ll be leaving next week,” Sakura was looking down.


“How long? A month again?” Hyewon asked while she took a spoonful of the ice cream cake in front of them.


“No. I’ll stay there for years and I don’t know when I’ll be back,” Sakura balled her fists until her fingernails dug into her palm.


Hyewon froze; the spoon still on . She averted her gaze from Sakura to the ice cream cake. She stared at it as if she could chew with her eyes. Hyewon sighed, “I’ll wait,” she said and Sakura looked up to her, “You will? You don’t have to, though,” Sakura’s mouth was left open and she was expecting an answer, “I will because still need to figure out my feelings for you. I promise that by the time you come back, I’ll have an answer,” Hyewon looked straight into her eyes and Sakura started tearing up.


The two spent their remaining days together by doing new things. For the first time in her life, Hyewon found happiness in manga books. Finally, she learned how to live and Sakura is the one behind it all. 


The day they both feared came: Sakura is leaving. It was hard to say farewell but there’s nothing they could do. Hyewon held her tears until she saw Sakura’s figure be lost in the sea of people in the airport. As she turned her back, warm tears flowed down her face. She walked away while silently sobbing and crying.


After three years… 


Hyewon walked inside the anime café and went straight to her usual spot. While walking towards the chair, she noticed a familiar figure whose back is facing her. She slowly approached the person—her steps are getting heavier the closer she gets. Her heart starts beating faster. When she finally reached her usual chair, she looked at the person and a wide smile formed on her face, “You’re back,” she said and the person looked at her and smiled back. Hyewon sat down immediately.


“Time to fulfill my promise,” Hyewon still had the smile pasted on her face as she reached for Sakura’s hand, “Sakura, I love you,” the younger girl confessed but it slowly wiped the smile out of the older girl’s face. Sakura didn’t reply; she was just staring blankly at Hyewon. Without a word, Sakura got up and ran towards the exit. Hyewon’s heart broke but she remembered what happened a few years back. Instead of moping, she got up and followed Sakura.


As Hyewon got out of the door, tears broke free from her eyes.


Hyewon ran and ran until she realized her mind went blank. The adrenaline caught up to her and she started panting. She tried to rethink what she did but she couldn’t remember. She started crying harder; she could even feel her heart crying. She shouted out of frustration. The passersby looked at her with judging eyes. Hyewon looked at her hand—it was warm yet empty. Her tears kept flowing realizing that she felt longing. She misses someone but couldn’t pinpoint who. 


With shaking hands, Hyewon dials the number she knew best. The person on the other hand answered immediately, “Minjoo,” Hyewon called out, not minding the cracking of her voice,


“Hyewon? What’s wrong?”


“I’m hurt,” Hyewon said in between her sobs. She starts walking mindlessly.


“Where are you? I’ll go there,” Hyewon heard shuffles from the other end. Minjoo must’ve been gathering her stuff in a hurry.


“Minjoo, I don’t know—” Minjoo stopped dead in her tracks when she heard what sounded like a screech of a car tire from Hyewon’s end. It was followed by the noise of a breaking glass and Hyewon’s phone seemed like it hit the ground. 


As per Hyewon, she kept walking until she heard a car honking and speeding in her direction. She was out of her mind that time and she only stared at the car. Everything went fast—suddenly her vision turned black.


Hyewon woke up to the sight of an all white room. She knew it wasn’t hers. She also realized that she wasn’t wearing her clothes; instead, she was in a patient’s gown. She was covered in bandages and she could feel she has a brace around her neck. At the foot of her bed was Minjoo. Her best friend was sleeping and looking like an angel. She stared at her until Minjoo’s eyes fluttered open. The younger girl’s eyes grew wide as she met her gaze with Hyewon. She suddenly stood up and ran to the door to call for the doctor.


Minjoo ran to her friend but she restrained herself from hugging the older girl in fear of hitting her wounds, “What happened, Hyewon?” the girl in question looked at her best friend like her face had the answer. Suddenly, tears started streaming down her face again. Minjoo was surprised but there was nothing she could do to comfort Hyewon.


Present…


Upon remembering Sakura, Hyewon took out her phone and opened their past messages. She saw the last message, sent by Sakura. She teared up as she remembered that it was sent on the same she day took her flight to Japan—a few days after Hyewon refused to follow her out after Sakura confessed her feelings. The message read:


Hyewon, I’ll be leaving for good today. I won’t be coming back to Korea without any reason. I realized that you would only bring me pain. I’m sorry for getting into your nerves. Honestly, I have been observing you for a long time now. I always sit across you but I doubt that you noticed that. You were always preoccupied by the manga you are reading. As I kept on looking at you, I realized that I slowly fell. There were a lot of times where I tried to get close to you but I’ll end up chickening out. One day, though, the café was filled and the only available seat was the seat in front of you; on the same table. I was extremely nervous and I guess that was the reason why I spilled my coffee. I was so embarrassed and scared that time. It was a relief that I had the same manga as you. That started everything and I finally had the courage to be close to you.


I kept falling for you harder everyday and I couldn’t take it anymore. I ruined the budding friendship between the two of us. I really expected you to follow me out but I shouldn’t have kept my hopes up. It was foolish of me to wait outside and anticipate your appearance. Don’t worry, Hyewon. This is the last time you’ll ever hear from me. I won’t be bothering you anymore. Thank you for the short lived memories.


Hyewon gripped her phone tight, “It didn’t happen. It was all in my head,” she gritted her teeth to keep her sobs from escaping.


As a result of regret and longing, Hyewon created her own world with Sakura. She kept on living in her own fantasy until it was too much. She failed to separate imagination from reality. Unfortunately, the accident was all it took to bring her back and wake her up.

================================================

Author's Note:

I hope you all get the meaning behind the title :) How was the story?