A Smile That Put the Bright Sun to Shame

Brighter Than The Sun

Kwon Eunbi was no professional photographer but if she was to rate her photographing skills, it'll be on a thin line between amateur and intermediate. While the majority of photographers around her cliques were into portrait shooting, Eunbi was quite the opposite. She's into outdoor photography especially and exclusively when sunset or sunrise is involved. Not that she's bad at taking a photo of a model, she just preferred to shoot the beauty of the nature compared to humans.

 

Eunbi was having her lunch break with her two friends, Chaeyeon and Yena. "So any plans tonight? It's the weekend tomorrow" She heard Chaeyeon asked as spaghetti twirled around the girl's fork. "Hey, there's this new club downtown, just open a month ago. Wanna go tonight?"

"Yeah I heard bout that new club. We should go and set their dance floor to fire!" Eunbi watched as the two conversed, eyes sparkled with excitement to hit the club. "I'll have to pass tonight. You kids have fun." Declining their offer when the two turned their head to look at her simultaneously.

 

"Ehhh! But why? You're not doing anything and it's not like you have a love life." Yena was pouting and whining to the oldest. "Yah! I could be going on date tonight though you might not know." Eunbi retaliated slightly offended at the duck words. "Pffftttt. A date? Kwon Eunbi going on a date? I doubt that, who in their right mind would ask this nerd rabbi— OW!" a palm landed harshly onto Yena's thigh before she grunted in pain.

 

"That's what you deserved you annoying duck" Chaeyeon's contagious laugh filled the air as the two bickered back and forth about the rabbit's love life. "Okay that's enough. Seriously though, you have a plan tonight unnie?"

"Not really, but I'm going to the usual spot later. It's been a while" Two heads nodded in understanding as they knew Eunbi was referring to her favourite sunset spot which is quite far from their house.

 

"Okay then, but we should hit the club tomorrow night together. I'm helping you find a date, you're getting old unnie"

"Yah! I can find a date on my own, I don't need your help. And I'm not old!" Eunbi swing her arm faking a hit only to have the younger girl flinched to her side in caution.

"Yena is right tho, Eunbi unnie. You need to get laid" Chaeyeon giggled, Yena held her palm up for a high five which the former gladly did.

 

"Gosh! Not you too Lee Chaeyeon"

"Let's make a bet! 100 dolars that no one would take Eunbi Unnie for a date"

"YAH! Choi Yena you brat! I can land a date if I want to you know, I still got the figures for god sake you act like I'm 50" Eunbi was fuming as Yena was suggesting some stupid idea again.

 

"Unnie chill. She's just messing around we all know you have a nice body. But then Yena-yah Call! 100 dolars that she couldn't score a date till the end of this month." By now the two idiots were laughing and Eunbi could only facepalm over such stupid bet but she's determined to trash this two even if it meant for her to fake a date or to pay someone.

 

"Fine. You guys are so gonna regret doing this bet. I will be collecting my money soon so be prepared"

"Deal! You got barely 2 weeks left before the end of the month unnie" A wink from Yena was thrown to her which resulted eye rolled in return.

 

 

-

 

The ride to her favourite sunset spot was not as peaceful as it should be, when the whole betting scenario kept on replaying in Eunbi's head. "Screw those kids!" Turning into a corner, a bright orange sky greeted her eyes and all of a sudden she was calm again. Her frustration disappeared instantly, lips curving into a smile. She arrived just in time for the sun was setting close to the waters, the sky reflecting orange hues across the sea.

 

 

Eunbi grabbed her camera gears and headed towards the rocky shore. She settled by the side of rocky area to get a view of some of the rocks along with the sun setting over the water. A tripod was adjusted to a fit stability before she propped the camera on it.

 

She glanced around, waiting for the bright sun to go down a little bit more before she started shooting. She noticed how there're only a few people around which is why she loves this place, not many knew the existence of this spot and Eunbi was glad it stayed the same since the first time she came with her father.

 

She had been coming to this beach ever since she was young and truthfully she got attached to this place as she got older. It became her sanctuary. A place where Eunbi could relaxed and just breathe in the sea breeze while enjoying the tranquility of watching the sun setting over the horizon.

 

The sun continued to descend at a steady pace, shutter from the camera clicked as Eunbi took her first picture of the day. She pressed the playback button to look at the picture taken previously. The calm sea was reflecting a great amount of orange hues from the bright sun, however the horizon was quite under exposed Eunbi thought.

 

And so she adjusted the setting again before looking through the camera's viewfinder to snap another picture. Eunbi kept on clicking the shutter and by the 4th time, a girl entered her frame of view. Still looking through the viewfinder, Eunbi watched as the girl paced around a little before settling herself on a big rock on the left corner of the frame, looking ahead on the setting sun.

 

A smile unconsciously formed, the finger that was hovering over the shutter pressed down unknowingly, taking a shot of the view. Several clicks later, Eunbi finally came back to her sense and looked up. She sort of entered her zen mode and took pictures of the stranger with the sunset ever so mindlessly. 'It's rude to take a picture of strangers without permission, you stupid rabbit!' She thought to herself.

 

Eunbi hesitated for a good minute before she finally mustered the courage to walk over to the girl. "Err...Miss" she started with a low voice but it fell on deaf ears so she cleared awkwardly. She managed to garner the girl's attention this time as she turned to look at Eunbi. "Em...I snap a picture of the sunset and you're in the frame so—" her words were cut off as the girl rose up frantically.

"Oh god! Am I blocking the view? I'm so sorry I thought I was already out of the range when I sit here"

'Great! Now she must've thought you're just another stuck up photographer. Stupid Kwon Eunbi!' She thought to herself and she felt like she should bury her head in the ground for her bad choice of words.

"W-wait! No no! You're not blocking the... the view at all! I actually I wanted to ask you if hmm if it's okay to take a picture of you with the sunset. It's just that I-I thought it would be rude to take a picture of a stranger." Eunbi was a stuttering mess, flailing her arms in the air explaining herself. She was totally strucked up by the beauty in front of her.

 

A small giggle came in return, "Ahhh I see. It's fine by me though. Do you always come here?"

"So-Sorry about earlier. I'm really bad with words and yeah you could say that. The sunset view is topnotch so I would come to watch it whenever I got some free time. What about you?"

 

"I've only been here a couple of time and you are absolutely right. The sunset here is gorgeous! It's different every single time. I'm so in love with this place. Oh! I'm Kim Chaewon by the way" Chaewon held out her hand for a handshake where Eunbi gladly took. Eunbi looked from up their hands and saw how Chaewon was smiling at her. A surge of electric sensation ran through all over her body as she looked at the bright smile in front of her.

 

The now red sky layered with some purple hues behind Chaewon illuminated her so gracefully in Eunbi's eyes. 'Kim Chaewon. Beautiful name. That smile, it is so bright that it put the sun to shame oh gosh! Am I dreaming? Such a beautiful angel' Her thoughts were running wild that she didn't even noticed that she said the last 4 words out loud.

 

Still frozen like a brick, Eunbi watched as the smile evolved into a small laugh, a hint of pink appeared on the cheeks. Everything seems to be moving so slow for her, eventually she snapped out of her slow-mo trance when a hand was waving right in front of her face. "Ahh yeah s-sorry for spacing out. I'm Kwo-Kwon Eunbi. Nice to meet you" Now it was her time to blush. "Are you okay? Your face is so red like the sky right now"

"Ye-Yes I'm fine!" Goddammit stop stuttering Kwon!

 

"Hey umm I think you should get back to take the pictures. The sun is almost gone. Sorry for stealing your time" Chaewon retrieved her hands and Eunbi was slightly disappointed, missing the warmth. "No it's no big deal! In fact, I would love to talk more with you" Eunbi was surprised with her bold self. The smile on Chaewon's face returned, this time also it took away her breath just like the first time.

 

And thus the two sat by the rocks, talking with each other, as the sun gradually set painting the horizon with magnificent colours in the background. The camera at the side was long forgotten.

 

Sometime after the surrounding of the beach was already dark, the sky was dark blue with little trace of pinkish hues aftermath of the sunset simultaneously the two got up from their sit. Chaewon stood in silence waiting for Eunbi to keep her gears so they could walk to the parking lot together.

 

Eunbi walked the younger girl to her car first before proceeding to her own car. She put her camera gears on the back seat and turned her head to look at the direction of Chaewon's car. They had exchanged numbers earlier so she was contemplating if she should text her later or she could just walk up to her now and ask her out for a dinner.

 

Apparently she chose the later option and ran over to the girl's car right before she pulled away from the lot. She knocked on the window and chuckled at the surprise look over Chaewon's face. "You scared me!"

"Sorry bout that Chaewon-sshi. I was wondering if you want to have a dinner with me? I mean it's fine if you have other plans or anything, I just thought maybe you would like to eat first since it's kind of dinner time right now? Or people ate dinner around 6 or 7? I'm not sure since I don't really keep track of my meals time..." By now Eunbi was pretty much rambling out of nervousness.

"I would love too"

"So yeah it's okay I get it. Wait what?!"

Chaewon giggled at the confused looking rabbit. "I said I would love to go on a dinner date with you tonight"

"I uhh... Okay I'm uhh... Awesome" Stuttering Kwon-pabo is back making a fool out of herself.

"Great. Do you know that Biang Kitchen right by the petrol station?" Eunbi nodded a couple of times. "I'll see you there?"

"Ye-Yeah sure. Drive safely"

"You too. I'll be waiting for you then" With that said, Chaewon let out a smile and winked before driving away. Kwon-Buffering was left rooted as her brain was processing the image of the girl winking at her. 'Did she just winked at me?' she thought to herself as slowly blood was running down her nose. "Oh ! My nose is bleeding! What the heck! BUT I SCORED A DATE YAASSSS!" Eunbi returned to her car, searching for tissues.

 

 

That night, Eunbi head to bed with a wide smile on her face, she typed a message and sent into a group chat with a picture attached.

"I scored a date tonight! And it hasn't been a whole day since your bet lol I'm expecting my 200 dollars tomorrow ;) thanks in advance! #ChaeYenaAreLosers"

Not only she won the bet, she got herself a cute girl with a beautiful smile.

 

 

A/N : Annnddd Thats a wrap! I'm a sunset enthusiast but I at describing things so yeah. Also it's so hard to come up a ship name for Chaewon right??!! Since there's 2 Chae & 3 Won in izone, and Chaewon just happens to have both huhu I love the Woollimz duo

Anyway Thanks for reading! Let me know ^^