Finale

We Took It The Long Way

2009

"Move on."

Baekhyun stared at the wide-eyed guy as if he had grown a second head.

"Soo, I haven't even opened my mouth yet." Kyungsoo, his closest friend shrugged. "It's Chanyeol again, isn't it?"

Baekhyun sighed. His of a best friend just got himself another girlfriend a week after he had broken up with a guy. "I told you Baek, you can't be bothered with that. He's simply playing around." The brown head guy ducked his head down.

 

1997

Chanyeol and Baekhhyun met when they were still 6 years old. He had met his bestfriend at unfortunate times. He was crying for not being able to go to the Halloween party that Mrs. Jung told him the other day, but here comes a chubby kid with funny ears gave him a bucket full of treats.

"H-hey, I am Chanyeolee. Why are you crying?"

"M-my mom s-said Baekhyunnie can't g-go to the p-party. M-mommy s-said there a-are scary m-monsters." Little Baekhyunnie sniffed while wiping his tears with his clenched fists.

"Ahh yeah, Baekhyunnie, you can't go there!" Little Chanyeollie was trying hard to calm Baekhyunnie down. "B-but Baekhyunnie want trick or treat!" The little Baekhyunnie cried again. Little Chanyeollie wants the treat for himself but, he wants little Baekhyunnie to be happy. "Chanyeollie will give this to Baekhyunnie if Baekhyunnie will stop crying!"

And ever since that fateful day, the two always come together.

 

 

 

 

2003

They were 12 and the two were busy thinking of schools to attend now that they are about to start high school.

"Yah Baekhyun, where do you want to study?" Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol but immediately looked down when the other was giving him that smile.

Chanyeol, his bestfriend, since 6 is his crush.

"W-where do you want to?" Baekhyun really doesn't have anything in his mind yet but, as long as where Chanyeol goes, he would also be there for sure.

"I always want to go to SU to study."

The both ended up there.

 

There they met Kyungsoo, their new friend. The doe-eyed guy looks scary at first but Chanyeol said he looks a little like Baekhyun.

Nothing changed between the two, well except the girls liking at Chanyeol.

 

 

 

 

2005

They were 14, and Chanyeol got himself his first girlfriend.

That didn't do well with Baekhyun. What he felt with Chanyeol was just a simple crush. He never thought it would go this deep.

The two would still go out just like the usual, what he didn't like is that someone has to share Chanyeol with him.

"Baekhyun, Chanyeol is a person, he doesn't belong to anyone of you." Kyungsoo and his mouth won't just shut up about it. He knows he's becoming selfish. Chanyeol doesn't deserve this as well. But what can he do when he's so in-

What!?

"Soooooooo! This can't be!" Baekhyun cried in front of a panicking Kyungsoo. "What? What happened to you?!"

He was 14, and he's inlove with his bestfriend.

 

They were still 14 and he didn't know why Chanyeol's girlfriend or ex-girlfriend was so angry at him.

 

"Yeri has been staring at you as if you killed her pet." Baekhyun was quick to notice the blond haired girl at the corner of the cafeteria. "Seriously, what's wrong with her?" Kyungsoo was clearly annoyed. "She's been going around weeks being like that, she's so weird, good thing they broke up." Baekhyun was just silent at the other side. "Hey Baek!" A long arm wrapped around his neck and he knew who it was. "Have you eaten already?"  Too smiley for a person who just came from a break-up.

"What happened with you and Yeri?" Baekhyun didn't like to meddle with them, he was just simply curious.

Chanyeol shrugged as if it was nothing. "Too childish."

Baekhyun can't sleep that night as he thought that he's childish too.

 

 

 

2006

It was Baekhyun's 15th birthday. He was excited for his brother would be coming home to celebrate with them.

Another thing he would like to have is Chanyeol.

Tonight, he would confess to his bestfriend. He didn't care of the rejections, telling him what he truly feels is more than enough for him.

"It's your birthday, don't you think it's a bad timing? You'd be getting a heartbreak on YOUR birthday."

Baekhyun was sure that Kyungsoo is a good friend, but being blatant and direct to the point is the reason  why he sometimes wants to kill him. So much for being a good friend.

It turns out being more than a rejection. He was so close. He was this close to earn his confidence but Chanyeol just has to announce he got himself a boyfriend. A ing boyfriend he had brought to his birthday.

"Baekhyun, this is Kasper. Remember the one I told you? The guy at the café? He's my boyfriend now." Chanyeol looks proud. "Babe, this is Baekhyun, my bestfriend since 6." Yeah, bestfriend.

I'll always be your bestfriend.

 

That night, he didn't do anything but to cry until he was asleep.

Kyungsoo came the next morning, cheering up his broken hearted friend.

 

The next following days just came with a blur. His relationship with  Chanyeol never changed. They still went out, have sleep overs.

"Jongin said Kasper and Chanyeol broke up." Jongin is a cousin of Kasper who sometimes help in the café who also has a crush on Kyungsoo. Baekhyun was quick to glance at him. "Since when did you two got close?" Kyungsoo looks like he's about to punch Baekhyun in the face. "Did you even hear what I said? Kasper and Chanyeol broke up."

Baekhyun was silent for a while. "I heard you the first time."

"So?"

"Soo, Chanyeol already told me that. He said he has his eyes on this girl and that was why he broke it off with Kasper."

"What the ? That was it?"

Yeah, Chanyeol is that .

 

It was Chanyeol's birthday when the girl Sooyoung, said yes to him.

Birthdays can never be happy for Baekhyun.

 

 

 

 

 

 

2008

It was their graduation. Baekhyun made it to the top.

"Baekhyun-ahhh! I told you you'd make it!" Chanyeol gave him that charming smile again.

They were going to celebrate it with their classmates and friends. Baekhyun was happy, Chanyeol was always sticking to his side.

"Hey Baek" Chanyeol nudged his side. "Hm?"

"Why don't you get yourself a girlfriend or boyfriend?" Kyungsoo at the side glanced at them.

"Ahh haha I think I'm not really into that yet. Maybe studies first." Chanyeol looked convinced as he didn't ask further about it.

Kyungsoo raised his brows as if asking him what the hell just happened.

 

It was the time of the year when they were so busy for college applications and Baekhyun already got his dream school.  Chanyeol simply didn't get to enter the same.

"Stop sulking." Chanyeol frowned in front of him, he wasn't happy. "But Baek, I don't want to be away from you."

That's what Baekhyun hated the most. He had every ounce to move on, but one single misleading statement of Chanyeol, he would fall back.

"Chanyeol, it's also high time you meet new freinds and meet new people to date." Chanyeol paused when he heard it. ,"Yeah, right." But still, Chanyeol didn't look happy.

 

It was their first day, when he got the shock of his life. "Chanyeol?!"

His bestfriend just gave him a grin. "W-what are you doing here?"

Chanyeol wrapped his arm around his neck. "I did the try out for basketball just so I could enter and see my Baekhyunnie here."

Baekhyun's heart was a haywire. "You mean?"

"You're stuck with me forever."

It turns out that Chanyeol got accepted as an athlete in their university.

 

 

 

 

Back to 2009

Being a college student didn't change Chanyeol's playboys ways at all.

"You know, you shouldn't be shocked with the news." Baekhyun snapped from his reverie. "I just thought Chanyeol changed you know. He was so focused in basketball and his studies." Jongdae, a new friend, shrugged. "Well, a week won't last for them. I heard that always wants a up his ."

"Jongdae!" Baekhyun looks so scandalised at that. "What?! It's true though, she would just dump anyone when she's finished with them."

Kyungsoo just looks like he's about to kill Jongdae.

 

" off!" The noise at the lobby was silenced with the loud voice. The three friends was quick to look at as to where the voice came from. "You shut up Krystal, if I hear you bad mouth even just one single word about Baekhyun, I would totally forget you're a girl." Chanyeol was about to walk away but then stopped. "And we're done." 

 

Baekhyun isn't sure if he would be happy or just cry out of frustration.

 

Heart, please stop hoping to get even a slightest chance with Chanyeol.

 

"Well, that's nice." Jongdae scoffed.

 

 

2010

They were 19, Baekhyun had never left Chanyeol.

Baekhyun was busy finishing his output when he was interrupted with a call. Seeing the display name, "Park Dobi", he contemplates if it's a good time to answer the phone.

Chanyeol just left him 5 missed calls and Baekhyun was about to snap when the 6th call rings.

"Wh-

Baekhyun was so close to yell at him but he was stopped when he heard sniffs from the other line. "Chanyeol? Yeol, what's wrong?"

"Baek, Dad was sent to the hospital." Baekhyun doesn't need to ask anymore. He was fast to go to Chanyeol. He just knew Chanyeol needs him.

When Baekhyun arrived, he saw how Chanyeol sat down on the floor while crying his heart out. The sight was even breaking Baekhyun more. "Yeol!" Chanyeol was quick to find Baekhyun and ran up to him to hug the other tightly.

That night Chanyeol never let Baekhyun go.

Chanyeol's father's condition never seem to get any better. And they knew it was time to let go.

 

When it was the day for the funeral. Chanyeol never talked to anyone. He didn't even look and hold to anyone but Baekhyun. It was always Baekhyun who could comfort him. It was Baekhyun who told him everything will be alright. It was Baekhyun who hugged him tight when it was time to say goodbye. And it was Baekhyun who layed down with him to bed, wiped his tears and lulled him to sleep.

It was the time Chanyeol knew he's nothing without Baekhyun.

 

 

 

 

 2011

Baekhyun met Sehun.

Sehun was a good friend. That was the thing he would always say when someone asked him who was he. They met at a public library where he was so diligently doing his researches. Sehun was there to help him search for books.

"Sehun could make a great boyfriend." Kyungsoo once said when they were out for groceries. Chanyeol froze on his spot, he wearily looked at Baekhyun.

 

Sehun huh?

"You know, Baek. He always looks at you as if you're the entire universe. You can't be as dumb as like this. Everyone knows how that guy likes you."

Kyungsoo really needs to shut up at some times.

"Soo, I told you-

"You need to move on-

"Move on?" Chanyeol was quick to ask. He frowned, and Baekhyun can sense this isn't good.

"Oh ahh hehe I mean, he has a crush to someone but he's so dumb and here comes Sehun to save his ." Kyungsoo smiled, more like grimaced. Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun. "You like someone." His voice sounded stiff, as if any minute from now, he could scream at his face. "You like someone, Byun?"

Chanyeol called him at his last name means, he was angry.

 

But why was he angry?

 

"Uhm, it was just a simple crush."

Baekhyun tried to reason out.

"A simple crush, you say? Yet I didn't know anything about this." Chanyeol's voice seemed to get louder. Kyungsoo was only standing there witnessing what was about to come.

"Do I really have to say everything to you?" Baekhyun said in a small voice but Kyungsoo could tell he was about to snap as well.

"Oh I don't know, I am your bestfriend for 's sake." Everyone seemed to get their attention and Kyungsoo really wanted to run away, maybe if he had just shut up, none of this would have happen. "Exactly! When you get a new boyfriend or girlfriend, did you say anything?! Did I ask anything? No! Was I angry?! No, right?" Kyungsoo was about to hold Baekhyun to calm him down but Baekhyun wasn't having any of it.  "I'm going home." Baekhyun walked away without hearing anything from Chanyeol.

 

The two was left yet they finished doing what was supposed to be done. When they went to the dorms, Kyungsoo said something  that Chanyeol left wondering.

"Sometimes, you have to open your eyes, Chanyeol."

 

They never talked again ever since that day.

 

 

 

 

 

2012

They were 21 and it was time for a new environment. Right after they finished their studies, Baekhyun found a job as an accountant. Everything was well, and Sehun was there patiently waiting for him.

Sehun knew Baekhyun has always loved Chanyeol but, he was ready to change that.

When Chanyeol knew that Sehun was there trying to win Baekhyun's heart, he's had enough.

 

Baekhyun was about to pack his things after an 8-hour long facing the computer when he heard his phone beep.

 

Park Dobi

Vsekjun

Beeeejjjhunnn

I niss yuu

 

When he wanted to reply,his phone rang

""

"Chanyeol, what the hell?!"

"Baekhyunnniueee I llloove yoouu"

Baekhyun must be going crazy, no what the . Chanyeol's drunk, he doesn't know what he was saying. "You're drunk."

"No, I'm Chanyeol." Baekhyun gripped his phone, when he heard loud noises at the background.

"Where are you, Park?"

"Aaahhm dunno, I this is a bar. A bar. I'm at a bar!" Baekhyun instantly rolled his eyes.

This is useless.

"Chan-

The other line went dead. Baekhyun was clearly fustrated, when his phone rang again.

"Ah, is this Baekhyun?"

"Oh yes, why do you have this phone?"

"I'm the bartender, your boyfriend wanted to order more but he's so wasted Mr. Baekhyun, can you fetch him at EXL Bar?" Baekhyun didn't have much time to correct the other guy's statement.

Oh how he wish to be his boyfriend.

 

Baekhyun was quick to spot the red haired guy. They may be not in so good terms after what he learned about him and his so called crush, but Baekhyun could never let Chanyeol be alone.

"Chanyeol, get up" Chanyeol was mumbling something in his sleep. "Chanyeol come on, it's time to go home." Chanyeol woke up and smiled dreamily at him. "Baekhyun-ah, you're here." Baekhyun doesn't want to get his hopes up, but he can see a different Chanyeol. His eyes could tell something but, again maybe this was because he's drunk.

 

Baekhyun helped him up as they go to his car, while Chanyeol was clinging to him.

He never saw Chanyeol being so drunk like this.

"Ugh! Yeol you're so heavy!" Chanyeol mumbled something incoherently. "What?"

"I wove you Baekhyunnie." Baekhyun tried to calm his beating heart down. Chanyeol says he loves him. So what? He's drunk, he could definitely forget about it the next day.

 

When they arrived at Chanyeol's apartment, Baekhyun tried so hard not to trip on the cans and bottles on the floor. Baekhyun gathered all his strength to put Chanyeol on the bed. He was about to get up when he heard Chanyeol's sobbing.

"Y-yeol? Hey, what's wrong?" Chanyeol looks so broken, his face looks so sullen, dark circles around his eyes. Their faces were so close towards each other that Baekhyun forgets how to breathe. Baekhyun bursts into tears when Chanyeol said the words he have always wanted to hear. "B-baek, I know you won't forgive me after this but I tried. God knows I really tried to keep it in but what will I do? What should I do when I have been inlove with my bestfriend for 15 years? What should I do when I know that anytime someone, s-someone would take you away from me. What should I do? What should I do when I'm so inlove with you?"

Baekhyun threw away all those walls he had built and kissed Chanyeol. He had kissed him as if he was trying to erase all those people who had kissed Chanyeol before.

Tonight, it will only be Chanyeol and Baekhyun. Just for tonight, Baekhyun wants to be selfish.

 

 

Baekhyun woke up with a sore body, he wanted to get up but something, someone rather, was holding him so tight he can't even move.

Baekhyun never got this kind of heart attack when he realized he was .

 

Something really happened last night. He broke into cold sweats when he saw Chanyeol's face.

Chanyeol

Drunk

Confession

Those words made him snapped out of his reverie.

Just on time, his phone rang somewhere and he was quick to answer it while picking up his clothes that were discarded on the floor.

"Baek

"S-soo, c-can you please fetch me? Please please."

"Baek, what happened?"

"Please let's talk lat-

"Baekhyun?"Baekhyun stood frozen.

"Baek, are you with Chanyeol?" Kyungsoo's voice rang in his phone

Baekhyun didn't know what to do. For the very first time, he wanted to escape from Chanyeol, he was never this afraid of him.

He choked a sob when Chanyeol pulled him into an embrace. "Where are you going?" He can hear a crack in his voice. "Love?" Baekhyun's cries got louder. Chanyeol calling him that. Chanyeol pushed him a bit to look at his face. "Love, were you going to leave me? After I told you how much I love you?"

"I-i thought you forgot, I got carried away with your confession last night. I don't know. I-I

"Shhh, I know, I'm sorry for saying those when you thought I was drunk but I didn't know any other way. I was afraid you'd reject me, and , I'm so happy when you kissed me." Baekhyun feels like he's about to get crazy because he dreamt of this every night and this is real, it's finally happening.

"Love, I have tell you that what happened last night is not a mistake. It was me making love to you." Baekhyun cried harder than he had ever cried. He can never believe this. Chanyeol could rain his face with kisses.

Chanyeol looked at him for a while and quickly got his blanket to wrap it around Baekhyun's body. "I know you're still sore." Chanyeol tried to crack a joke to make Baekhyun smile but that only earned him cute punch and a blushing Baekhyun.

Chanyeol cupped Baekhyun's face and stares at him intently "From now on, let me love you appropriately. Let me do this right, Baek. Can you give me this chance? I promise not to break your heart." The shy smile that Baekhyun gave him and a small nod was enough for Chanyeol.

"I have to ask something Yeol. If you love  me since before then, what about those boyfriends and girlfriends you had?" Chanyeol sighed and led the two of them back to bed. "I knew you'd ask about this but, I used them." Baekhyun made a face. "I know that was terrible but, if that's the only way for me to move on from you, then I'd do it. But that didn't certainly happen."

 

Later that afternoon, they met up with Kyungsoo and Jongin. And the wide eyes Jongin had and the juice that was splattered all over when Kyungsoo tried to drink when they saw how Chanyeol held Baekhyun's waist and gave him a peck on the lips was priceless.

 

"Yeol?" Chanyeol was backhugging Baekhyun while he was washing the dishes. "Hmm? What is it, Love?"

Really, Baekhyun can't still get used to Chanyeol calling him that. "Uhm, I think I have to talk to Sehun."  That didn't make Chanyeol happy, obviously. Baekhyun could change his mind anytime.

"I just want to tell him that we're together now. I don't want to give him more false hope." Chanyeol grinned widely at that.

"You're so childish." Baekhyun exclaimed but Chanyeol only tackled him into a hug.

 

 

 

 

2013

They were 22 and Chanyeol was sure of their future.

"Why are you calling me at ing 2 am you tard!" Jongdae's booming voice welcomed Chanyeol's ears. "I need help."

"Why are you dying?" Jongdae could really be mean sometimes. "I am planning to propose to Baekhyun."

"So you're planning to propo- HOLD THE UP YOU'RE PLANNING TO PROPOSE TO BAEKHYUN?!"

"Jongdae, can you please calm down?"

"Oh my God, Baekhyun definitely needs to know this OMFG"

"What?! Jongdae no NO NO."

"KIDDING BRO. SO WHAT CAN I HELP?"

 

 

 

 

 

2014

"Chanyeol, can you calm the down." Kyungsoo just wanted to murder Chanyeol if he doesn't stay in his place.

"Soo, I had a mental block. I can't remember the words I have to say. I swear I already have memorized it-

"Baekhyun's here!"

""

Chanyeol was this close to having a mental breakdown. He had already prepared the script. The ring was there inside his pocket, everything was ready. He even have called Baekhyun's relatives to come but among all of those why did he have to forget his speech.

"Yeol, what's going on? Everyone's so weird." 

"Baek, I love you."

Baekhyun's confused face was changed to a blushing mess and a shy smile. "Awww I love you too, Yeol."

"No."

Baekhyun was taken aback by that.

"N-no. Love, I-I mean, this."

"Are you cursing at me?"

"No Love, no. It's not that."

"Chanyeol-

"Will you marry me?!" Chanyeol was so quick to kneel down that he felt a hard sting on his knee and he ing knows it was bleeding from the impact.

Baekhyun's jaw dropped. He felt like he has stopped breathing. He looked at his boyfriend, and he saw how serious he was but he can't also look away from the hands of his bestfriend turned boyfriend and future husband of how shakey they were while holding a box of ring. And Baekhyun knew right then and there, that this was his happy ending.

 

 

 

 

 

Bonus:

2018

Chanyeol turned around on their bed finding warmth from his husband but he found nothing but a cold empty spot.

 

"Love?"

He heared some rumbling coming from their bathroom. "Baekhyunnie?!" Chanyeol immediately went to his husband and he saw how a sobbing mess he was. "Oh my Love!" Baekhyun was busy vomitting while Chanyeol rubbed his back.

 

After minutes of comforting his husband, Chanyeol immdiately flushed the toilet and attended to Baekhyun. "Are you done?"

Baekhyun could only nod as Chanyeol wiped his husband's face.

"Does your stomach ache?" Baekhyun could only shake his head no. "Love, your fever's really high." Chanyeol was fast to carry his small husband back to bed. "Did you eat something earlier that you usually don't?"

"No. But I'm hungry."

"Do tell me, Love. What do you want to eat?"

Chanyeol hugged his husband's back, he really hates it when he's sick and was about to cry when he saw how tired his eyes are.

"I want to eat Kyungsoo's kimchi."

"I can cook kimchi, wait here ok-

"No, can you tell Kyungsoo to cook it for me?"

Chanyeol was having a hard time.

"Okay, I'll call him."

 

 

Chanyeol was back a few seconds later. "Do you want something else?" Baekhyun burried his face on his husband's chest. "You smell so nice."

"Love?"

"What's your perfume?"

"Uh, I'm not wearing any perfume right now, Love. We just woke up."

Baekhyun ducked his head under his armpit and that tickled Chanyeol.

"Love, what are you doing?"

"But you smell nice~"

Chanyeol sighed, what's happening to his husband.

"I really have this feeling that you're pregnant, Love."

Baekhyun stopped his adorable little action and murmured "I am"

"W-what?"

Baekhyun looked at him and pouts, "I said I am. 2 weeks to be exact."

Chanyeol's head was spinning.

Dad 

He was going to be a dad.

"Yeol? Why are you crying?!"

"I-I am going to be a dad. You-we are going to be parents. babe. Oh my god, how." Baekhyun panicked for awhile but when he saw how Chanyeol laughed and cried because he was happy while going down to his belly and rains kisses to it, he closed his eyes and wiped a single tear because finally, they may took it the long way, but they are here, they made it.

Their love has always been there.