part ii.

Stay

After the festival had died down, Baekhyun sat up in the town's water tower, drinking a bit with a few of his friends. From up there, they could see everything. Baekhyun, however, had his eyes on the lone wandering individual with no direction on what to do. Sehun, who caught him watching, nudged him.

"I see you looking at him," he said. "You're really conflicted."

Baekhyun scoffed. "I wish I wasn't." After watching Chanyeol walk around, he said, "I think I'm gonna have to call it a night."

-

-

Chanyeol left the festival grounds and walked a little farther down the road he was on. A small cemetery caught his eye and he realized that it was a pet cemetery. Having been gone for so long, it took a while for him to realize what pulled him to that spot.

Back when they were together, Baekhyun and he had a dog together. It wasn't the one Baekhyun had at the moment. It was a different dog. Walking through the number of graves for small critters, Chanyeol knelt down the one whose name he recognized. For a short time, he talked to the site but talking to something that was willing to listen did more than Chanyeol bargained for.

"Hey, buddy," Chanyeol said in a ghost-like whisper. "I haven't been around here much," He paused. "I'm sorry I wasn't here when you died, ole boy. Did you wait for me to come back?"

The silence answered him.

"Were you waiting with Baek? I didn't mean to forget about you... You didn't do anything wrong." Chanyeol pursed his lips. "We messed up... I wasn't there when you died. I'm sorry..."

"They found a tumor in his lungs."

Jolting from the unexpected company, Chanyeol turned around. "Baek..." Wiping his face, Chanyeol made sure not to let a single tear fall.

"They said I could put him through chemo, but I didn't want him to go through that," Baekhyun mumbled. "The success rate was low, too."

Chanyeol kept quiet. "I'm sorry.... Why didn't you tell me?"

Baekhyun gently looked at him and shrugged, offering a small smile. "You were too busy. I didn't want to bother you."

Chanyeol gave him a hopeless look. "I'm sorry," he repeated.

"It's already in the past," Baekhyun said. "Nothing's going to change."

"Where'd we go wrong?" Chanyeol whispered.

"I don't know."

"Was it my fault?"

Baekhyun blinked. "What?"

"My fault," Chanyeol said. "I was the one who left. I was the one who never looked back."

"But I'm the reason why you left," Baekhyun said softly. "I'm the reason why you never looked back. Isn't it my fault, too?"

Chanyeol stepped forward, remembering Luhan's words. "No. It's not," He paused. "Stop looking at me like that."

"Stop looking at you like what?"

"Like there's still a part of you that loves me," Chanyeol said. "It'd be easier if you hated me."

Baekhyun pursed his lips. "You're seeing things," he mumbled. "And even if I was, what's so wrong with that?"

"What's wrong with what?"

"Being in love with you still."

Chanyeol stopped. "I--"

Baekhyun cut him off, his voice rising. "What's wrong with still loving the idiot I married eight years ago?"

Chanyeol's breath was caught in his throat. "Baek--"

"What's wrong with wanting him back? What's wrong with that?" Baek asked in a shaky voice.

"Is it bad that I feel ing sorry for myself? Because I beat myself up for being the reason why he left?" Baekhyun asked, fists closed. Chanyeol took a step forward at the same time Baekhyun took a step back "Is it wrong to feel a little sad that after seven years of being gone, he came back only to ask me to sign a bunch of papers?"

Chanyeol tried to reach out for him. "Baekhyun--"

"I tried to keep up with the idiot I married, Yeol," Baek confessed. "I tried..." Laughing bitterly and beginning to feel his eyes to sting, Baekhyun shook his head. "But I wasn't enough... I ran out of time."

"Damn it, Baekhyun, shut up," Chanyeol spat. Stepping forward, he caught Baekhyun by the shoulders.

"No, it's my fault you—"

Unable to bear any more words of guilt, Chanyeol leaned in and slanted his lips over Baekhyun's. Though initially shocked, Baekhyun's desire came over him. Standing in his toes, he kissed back, cocking his head slightly at an angle. For once it actually felt right for the both of them--not a piece missing in the puzzle.

But when Baekhyun came to his senses, he pulled back. Cover his mouth with the back of his hand, Baekhyun wretched himself away from Chanyeol, shaking his head "I'm sorry... I'm sorry, I'm--" His voice hitched. "That was wrong. We shouldn't have done that—"

Chanyeol frowned. "Why not--"

"Because--because you're engaged,"

"I'm married to you, Baekhyun," Chanyeol said with his voice rising, forgetting that the ring on his finger wasn't his wedding ring, but another foreign object promising him to another person.

With a shaking voice and quivering lips, Baekhyun slowly shook his head. "But I already signed you away..."

-

-

The next morning, Chanyeol woke up feeling odd. For several minutes he did nothing but stare at the ceiling of his old bedroom. Sleeping in the room last night did nothing in suppressing the feelings inside of him left hanging by his husband.

His old bedroom was the room where they did all their firsts. It was where he asked Baekhyun out. It was where they first kissed and touched. Knowing that staying in that room would do him no good, he forced himself to get up and walk to his parents' kitchen.

He hugged his mother and greeted his father, sitting down at the table. His mother tried to initiate talk and Chanyeol tried to keep it going. Eventually once he was finished, he offered to wash the dishes which seemed to make his mother happy.

When he was done, he cleaned up and changed, leaving the house for a few errands before coming back to pack and leave once more.

In town, he visited the post office where he mailed the divorce papers to his attorney. Then he went to the bank where he put all of Baekhyun's money back. He didn't question how or why Baekhyun had such as amount save up. Chanyeol figured it wasn't his place to have a say anymore. They were getting a divorce because of him and he had lost all rights to know...

He visited a few old friends for a few hours. By the time he was finished, he looked rowdy with his ruffled hair and crinkled shirt. Oddly enough, his appearance didn't bother him too much anymore. As if having a mental list, Chanyeol visited everyone he ever knew, but put Baekhyun, the one he fell in love with years ago, at the bottom.

When he pulled up to the house they shared for a while in time, Chanyeol stayed in the car for a minute to recollect himself. As the feeling of nervousness subsided, Chanyeol stepped out of the car and began to walk on the bare earth toward the house.

He looked through the windows and saw that Baekhyun wasn't inside. The door was open but when Chanyeol stuck his head in, there was no one inside. For a moment, he was confused, but when he turned his body, his eyes caught the lake a few minutes down a path near the house.

Trying his luck, Chanyeol took the path, walking with his hands solemnly in his pockets. At the end, he saw Baekhyun sitting on the edge of a dock--the same dock he once yelled at Baekhyun to fix because it was so broken. Now, looking at it, Chanyeol could see that the dock looked completely new. He tried to ignore the guilt inside, but the feeling washed over him with every step he took on that dock.

When his ears perked at the sound of footsteps, Baekhyun turned his head and stopped kicking the water with his feet. "Yeol..."

Taking note of the dog beside Baekhyun, Chanyeol smiled, waving a hand slightly. "Hey.." Crawling to his knees, Baekhyun got up.

"What're you doing here?" Baekhyun asked. "Did you need something?"

Chanyeol rubbed his fingers together. "No, I just--" He stopped when he saw the slight flash of disappointment in Baekhyun's eyes. "I just...I wanted to say good-bye..."

"Oh..."

Forcing a smile on his face, Baekhyun nodded. "I see... Well good-bye, Yeol. I hope that things work out for you."

Chanyeol could feel his mouth dry up. "Yeah.."

"And I'm sorry--For...for being an to you.." Baekhyun mumbled.

Chanyeol's eyes widened. "What?"

"Sorry for bullying you into staying," Baekhyun said with a forced chuckle. "That was mean of me."

"Baek--"

"I just wanted you to take the time to look around and talk to everyone. They've missed you, you know..."

Chanyeol tried to keep his lips from shaking. "Have they really?"

"Yeah.." With his smile faltering, Baekhyun nodded slowly. "They miss you a lot... You should visit--I mean, not for me. Of course, not for me..." He trailed off. "Just...For everyone else, okay? Like your parents."

"I can visit you too if--" 

Baekhyun shook his head. "It's okay. Don't bother. I'll be fine...I won't be here when you come back, anyways..."

Chanyeol's heart stopped. "What? You won't be here?"

Baekhyun shrugged. "I'm leaving, too..." He sighed. "I'm selling the house...."

"The house?" Chanyeol incredulously. "Why?"

"I'm...I'm gonna travel the world," Baekhyun said with a small smile."I just want to get away... I don't feel like staying in that house anymore," he said more quietly. "There's nothing left there..."

Chanyeol took a step forward. "Baekhyun, can I say something--"

"No.." Baekhyun pursed his lips. "You can't.."

"Baek--"

"Don't," Baekhyun said, holding up a hand. "Just...Let it go." He sighed. "I have things to do. We should go back."

Baekhyun caught his dog's attention and together, they walked back to the house in silence. Their hands were one move from intertwining, but both were too scared and too set on what they thought the other wanted to do anything about closing the unbearable space.

Once they were back on the grounds of the simple house, Baekhyun grinned up at Chanyeol. "Thanks for making the effort in visiting everyone."

Chanyeol looked down at him. "It's nothing at all.." He said. The two stood quietly for a while.

Then Chanyeol watched as Baekhyun smiled and nodded. He took another step before finally turning his back. With every step he took, he had a wish in his heart that something would compel him to stop and turn around.

Suddenly, he heard Baekhyun's voice. "Yeol."

Immediately he stopped and faced his body in Baekhyun's direction. "Yeah?"

Baekhyun took a moment, taking seconds in a silence. "I want to show you something," he said.

Chanyeol raised a brow. "Okay--"

He stopped in the middle of responding and before he could start walking back to where Baekhyun was, his phone was ringing. And when he checked the ID, it was Kyungsoo.

Chanyeol looked at his phone and immediately shot his eyes back up at Baekhyun who was staring at him with a certain look in his eyes. He froze and it seemed as if time did as well. But the moment his finger twitched over the answer button, Baekhyun pursed his lips.

"I'm guessing not today," he said with a small smile. Before he could argue, Baekhyun called his dog over. "I'll see you around, Chanyeol."

Before Chanyeol could even speak, Baekhyun began to walk up the porch and inside the house. Every inch of Chanyeol's being told him to go after the brunet and his dog, but he stopped himself when he felt the phone continue to vibrate.

Knowing he lost all of his right to barge inside the house, Chanyeol cursed, moving away from the property and back to his car. The call had already passed but Chanyeol forced himself to take in a deep breath and call Kyungsoo back.

After a brief greeting, Chanyeol's thoughts were ripped off Baekhyun and suddenly slapped onto Kyungsoo.

"You're what?!"

"I'm in town! Your town," Kyungsoo chuckled. "Are you happy? I wanted to surprise you!"

Chanyeol felt his palm begin to sweat. "Kyungsoo, what're you doing here?"

"Nothing. I just thought that I should introduce myself..."

"To who?" 

"Your parents--oh no I'm full, thank you," Chanyeol heard Kyungsoo say.

"Soo, who're you talking to?"

"Your mom," Kyungsoo replied. "She made me this soup thing... I don't know what it is, but it's okay."

Chanyeol frowned. "So you're at my parents right now?" he asked.

"Yeah. Your mom wants to show me photo albums," Kyungsoo said. "Hurry home! I wanna see you, alright?"

A second after Chanyeol found something else to say, he heard the other line go dead and suddenly he was alone by himself again. He glanced up, took a look at the house, and contemplated. He wanted to stay. Lord only knew how much Baekhyun's expression wilted him on the inside.

However much Chanyeol felt rooted in the place, he felt an obligation to leave. It felt wrong. Leaving his past and going back to Kyungsoo wasn't supposed to feel as if it was an obligation, but it did.

Shifting the car in reverse, Chanyeol glanced at the modest house one last time before slowly backing away, leaving a trail in the soft mud that would soon be washed away with the upcoming rain that season.

-

-

Seeing Kyungsoo at his parents' house was an odd feeling simply because it didn't feel right. When he walked in, he thought he'd walk straight into Kyungsoo's excited and welcoming arms, but instead, Kyungsoo was calm as he sat in the living room with the photo book on his lap.

Chanyeol slowly smiled at him as he closed the door. "Hey."

"Hi."

He sensed something was wrong, but couldn't find enough time to bring it up before his mother, who was sitting right next to Kyungsoo, called him over.

"Chanyeol, come here," his mother called.

When he tried to take a seat, his mother stopped him as she rose up, pulling Kyungsoo gently up with her. "Take Kyungsoo into your room and talk it out in private."

"Talk about what in private?"

There was a silence before, "It's about Baekhyun."

Immediately, Chanyeol's eyes darted towards Kyungsoo, realizing why the male was so quiet. Understanding, he nodded and mumbled "Come on" as he quietly led the way to his room. Once inside, he turned around and attempted to speak, but Kyungsoo beat him to it.

"You're married?"

The question came out hard and straight forward.

"Yes, but--"

"You're married?!" Kyungsoo repeated louder. "I've been messing around with a married man all this time?! I've been the mistress?! What the hell, Park Chanyeol!"

"Soo, listen to me--"

"We've been dating for almost a year and I find out just a few months before we're supposed to get married that you're already married?!"

"No, Soo, listen! I'm not!" Chanyeol defended. "I'm not--Not anymore"

"What the hell do you mean not anymore!" Kyungsoo snapped. "Your mother showed me your wedding photos, Chanyeol. Then she talked about him like you two were still married! Do you understand how awkward it was for me to sit there and ask her what the hell she meant by 'Chanyeol's husband'?!"

"I understand, but--"

"No, you don't, you liar!" Kyungsoo cried. "You don't understand."

"Will you just listen to me?!" Chanyeol snapped. "We're getting divorced. It's already official. He signed the papers and I sent them to my attorney. That's why I came here."

"When did he sign them?"

"Just a few days ago."

"Then why didn't you come home then?" Kyungsoo asked. "Why'd you have to stay?"

Chanyeol stopped at the question. Even he didn't understand the logic to staying despite getting what he wanted.

"I don't know..."

Kyungsoo's lips pursed inwards. "Are you attached to this place?"

Blinking, Chanyeol creased his brows. "What do you mean?"

"This place," Kyungsoo repeated. "You grew up here. I asked if you were attached to this house, this town--everything."

Chanyeol paused. "I guess..."

"Do you want to come back home?" Kyungsoo asked with uncertain eyes. "With me?"

"Of course."

"Then why do you sound like you're hesitating?"

"I'm not!" Chanyeol argued.

"Yes, you are!" Kyungsoo groaned, getting angry once more. "We have a wedding in a few months, Chanyeol! You have a husband you never told me about! You stayed longer than you needed to! And now you sound like you're unsure about everything."

"I told you, we're divorced!" Chanyeol snapped. "It's going to be official already. By the time the wedding comes around, I'll be a free man."

Huffing, Kyungsoo Looked at him. "I didn't take you from him, did I? I wasn't a mistress?"

Taking a step forward, Chanyeol shook his head. "No, of course not," he said gently, pulling Kyungsoo into an embrace. "We were already fading by the time I met you..."

When he said the words, Chanyeol felt something in himself hurt by the truth.

Slowly, Kyungsoo nodded, holding onto Chanyeol's chest. "I was just making sure..." he said. "I didn't want to be a home wrecker."

"You're not."

"So you're getting divorced?" Kyungsoo asked once again.

"Yes..." Chanyeol replied sadly.

"Okay," Kyungsoo said quietly. "Hopefully it will be a quick divorce."

Chanyeol froze. "Yeah..."

"I mean, I hope this, um, Baekhyun guy will be okay," Kyungsoo went on, "but I think a quick divorce would be best. I hope settlements won't be a hassle."

"It won't."

"How do you know?" Kyungsoo asked as he looked up at Chanyeol.

"Because I already know he wants nothing to do with me anymore..."

-

-

Three months went by, but not a second passed that Chanyeol never thought about Baekhyun. It felt wrong. Everything felt wrong ever since he left his parents' home with Kyungsoo. The city didn't look the same way, nor did he feel at ease with Kyungsoo anymore.

The wedding plans went forth. Kyungsoo took care of the invites and all the minor details, but he never told Chanyeol where the actual wedding would take place. In between his days off, Chanyeol would go shopping for pieces that they'd need at the wedding such as fine plates and silverware.

All the while he did so, he found himself thinking about the husband he married years ago and how they--poor and simple--never experienced lavishing themselves with any of the fancy items he was buying for his wedding with Kyungsoo.

He didn't deny it when he realized how heavy it made him feel to think about the true wedding experience that Baekhyun and he never got.

But the more he thought about it, he realized that it didn't matter. Back then, when they got married at the small church in town, they weren't bothered by expensive materials. Instead, Chanyeol remembered the flowers both of them picked from a local town garden and how it made the simple white chapel the most beautiful little building in the world.

When Chanyeol pulled away from his thoughts, he stared at the shiny reflecting plates and other wares in front of him on display. As pretty as they were, and as nice as they'd all look at his wedding, it didn't seem to faze him much. In fact, it almost made him feel empty inside.

-

-

Word came around of an up and coming artist that had been garnering much attention in just a short amount of time. Chanyeol would see glimpses of the other editor looking at the artist's paintings in dull photographed photos. There was a slight interest in Chanyeol for the artist's work so he didn't hesitate to take up a co-workers' offer to join them for a visit to another opening at an art galleria.

Chanyeol didn't know much about the artist except for his reputation, but when he stepped onto the crowded and exclusive venue, he immediately recognized the art style. It was simple, somber, and humble. Chanyeol couldn't shake the feeling that the art belonged to the same artist who painted the drawings he saw back home.

Straying and abandoning his co-workers, Chanyeol walked around the gallery by himself. It was as he was staring in completely awe over a painting of a lake that seemed familiar to him that he heard the voice of the very man that he hadn't been able to get out of his mind for months.

Turning around, Chanyeol was shocked at the proximity between him and Baekhyun. When he jolted, Baekhyun looked up at him and smiled.

It was odd seeing the smaller male at first. Baekhyun's hair was styled and his clothes didn't look so simple. He had a modern look to him, but the more Chanyeol studied him, the more he came to the conclusion that Baekhyun looked better the way he usually looked.

"Hey," Chanyeol managed to say.

"Hi."

A silence passed as the two of them continued to watch each other until Baekhyun broke eye contact and looked up at the painting. "So, do you like the material?"

Nodding, but never taking his eyes away from the creature beside him, Chanyeol said, "Yeah. I like it all."

"That's good to hear."

Chanyeol paused. A question itched at the back of his throat and he tried to hold it back, not wanting to pry, but it got to a point where he couldn't keep it back any longer. "Baek, what're you doing here?"

There was more than one meaning to the question. He wanted to know why Baekhyun was in the city, and why Baekhyun was in that art gallery. More importantly, he wanted to know why Baekhyun was in his head all the time to a point where Chanyeol had to force himself back out to reality.

Giving the giant a smile, Baekhyun nonchalantly shrugged. "I made these," he confessed. "Every single one of them..."

Chanyeol froze. "What?"

Nodding, confirming that Chanyeol had heard right, Baekhyun let out a soft laugh. "I painted that one a million times, but it never felt right. It still doesn't, but it's the best one I made. If it feels familiar to you, that's because it's the lake near the house."

Looking back at the painting, Chanyeol began to see it clearly. "I see it..."

"Everything here is from the town," Baekhyun said. "I wanted to capture everything in picture..."

For a moment Chanyeol didn't speak. "I didn't know you could paint..."

Baekhyun shrugged again. "I didn't paint much when we were together. I never had the time when all we did was argue." Before the situation got awkward, Baekhyun gently touched Chanyeol's arm momentarily before letting go. "Enjoy the showing, alright? It's my last night here, anyways. Make sure you try the food. It's really good."

Chanyeol reached out as Baekhyun his heels and left, but he wasn't able to grasp onto the male. He followed him deeper into the gallery, and just like the showing months before, the paintings gradually changed the mood around him. And like the showing at the fair, a blanketed masterpiece was the focal point of the entire change.

Coming up from behind Baekhyun, Chanyeol stood by him once more. This time, he asked, "What's behind that?"

Baekhyun was inwardly surprised that Chanyeol had followed him, but nonetheless, he answered. "It's nothing."

"What do you mean it's nothing?"

"I mean, it's not important anymore..." Baekhyun replied.

Chanyeol pursed his lips. "Luhan told me that it was something you loved. It's titled 'Lost' and it sounded like you wanted whatever's behind that cloak back."

Baekhyun was silent for a second. "I painted it a few years back. I thought I'd be able to show it, but it's too late now. I'm never revealing it."

"Then can you tell me what's behind it?" Chanyeol asked. "Since you're not showing it, I'm kind of curious as to what it'd be--"

"No," Baekhyun said, shaking his head. "I can't."

"Why not?"

"Because of my pride, Chanyeol..." Drawing his eyes down, Baekhyun shrugged. "I failed, so it's no longer worth showing... I'm sorry."

-

-

He didn't have to, but Chanyeol did so anyways.

For hours, he stayed at the gallery and watched as the number of people depleted. Baekhyun, who had gone around to socialize with different people, hadn't paid much attention to him until it became impossible to ignore the fact that Chanyeol's face was the only constant in the ever-changing environment.

After everyone had gone and the gallery had closed, Chanyeol followed Baekhyun around as the smaller male went about and gave orders to the movers who came to take the art down according to who bought them. He didn't mind the fact that Chanyeol was trailing him silently. Although he felt nervous, he liked having the presence of the giant near him.

Once almost everything was cleared, Baekhyun decided to finally face his shadow and turn around. "Why haven't you gone home yet?"

"I didn't feel like it."

Shaking his head, Baekhyun sighed. "Honestly, Chanyeol. You're an idiot."

Walking about, Baekhyun went to the one corner where only one exhibit was left and stood in front of it. Chanyeol did the same, and soon, both of them were gazing up at the same thing.

"Why can't you tell me what's behind that thing?"

"Because I don't want to..."

"Why not?"

"Chanyeol--"

"Are you worried that it's bad?"

Baekhyun snorted. "It's not bad. It's just personal."

"I want to see it--"

"Well, I don't want you to see it."

Chanyeol glanced down at him before taking the chance. Leaving Baekhyun's side, he quickly ran forward and grabbed onto the black cloak. Baekhyun reacted as quickly as he could to try and stop him, but he was a fraction of a second too late.

With one pull, the material that hid the painting fell to the ground as well as Baekhyun's heart.

"Yeol..." Baekhyun said in a shaky voice. "It's--"

Without hesitation, Chanyeol grabbed Baekhyun by the face and slanted his lips over his. Baekhyun let out a small cry as he weakly tried to break apart, but soon gave into the kiss, kissing back and holding onto the front of Chanyeol's shirt.

Maneuvering them, Chanyeol pressed Baekhyun up against the wall, nipping and at his lips before delving back. In their short breaks apart, they panted heavily before attacking each other's lips violently with need once again.

Baekhyun felt his eyes begin to burn. He whimpered into the kiss and tugged at Chanyeol harshly as if he was afraid to let go. But with the heaviest feeling inside, he tore his lips away as he did months ago and shook his head.

When Chanyeol tried to take him again, Baekhyun moved his head to the side and pushed Chanyeol off.

"Enough..." he rasped, breathing heavily, furiously wiping his eyes.

"Baek--"

"I said enough, Chanyeol." Taking in deep breaths, Baekhyun shook his head. "You shouldn't have done that, idiot..."

"Then you shouldn't have kissed back."

Baekhyun looked away. "I don't need any pity affection from you."

"I'm not--"

"Yes, I painted you," Baekhyun confessed, "and yes, you're the one I've been wanting back all this time, but Chanyeol, it's over, okay? I couldn't do it. I thought...I thought that if I made something of myself like you always wanted, I could convince you to come back. But I was too slow, and you met your new fiancé before I could get to you."

"I would've wanted you back whether or not you actually made something of yourself, Baekhyun!" Chanyeol angrily said. "I just wanted you to try! To put effort in us! And when I saw that you just couldn't, that's why I left... If you had just come after me and tried a little harder, I would've been fine with that. You didn't need to do all of this."

"I had to, Yeol!" Baekhyun said, near the brink of tears. "I felt useless. That's why I took up painting. That's why I fixed everything in the house. And that's why I fixed the dock. I knew fixing the house wasn't going to be enough. Not after I went to the city and saw how successful everyone else was..."

"Baek, you should've come to me that day."

"I couldn't."

"I would've listened to you."

"And I still would've felt unworthy," Baekhyun finished. He grew silent before he quietly said, "I still love you, but we're done...You should leave."

"Baekhyun."

"Your wedding's coming up soon and our divorce is nearing finalization," Baekhyun said, attempting to smile. "After tonight, I'm storing the painting in a warehouse where it'll be auctioned out for bidding. It's my way of letting you go. I can't keep it with me. It's just a reminder of you."

Stepping forward, Baekhyun gulped as he fixed Chanyeol's hair and clothing. "I can't have your fiancé knowing you've been kissing your ex-husband," he lightly joked, attempting to mend the mood. "Still as handsome as the day you dressed up for our first day--if not more handsome."

When Baekhyun began to retract his hands away, Chanyeol stepped forward and held on to them. "Park Baekhyun," he said unsteadily, "I haven't been able to get you out of my mind since I went back months ago. You're still in love with me and you have no ing idea how knowing that makes me feel."

"Chanyeol--"

"Nothing has felt the same ing way ever since that time, Baek!" Chanyeol cried, towering over the smaller. "Nothing! Not even when I kiss Kyungsoo or when I hold him! You don't know how it makes me feel knowing that whenever I'm with him now, I think of being with you!"

"Stop talking like that!"

"Baek, would it be crazy?" Chanyeol began, "would it be crazy if I said I still loved you, too?"

Pulling his hand away, Baekhyun shook his head and covered his ears. "Stop it--"

"Because nobody in this damn ing world makes me feel the way you do!" Chanyeol said adamantly. "Kyungsoo...He's wonderful. He's smart. He's handsome. He's successful...But damn it, you're the only one who has ever driven me bat crazy! You made me crazy when we were young. You made me crazy when we started dating. Hell, even when we're arguing or angrily making out, you're still driving me crazy!"

"Chanyeol, you're engaged!" Baekhyun yelled. "Stop talking this way. It's too late!"

"No, it's not--"

"Yes, it is...Stop playing with me," Baekhyun pleaded, softly crying. "You're making this harder than it needs to be. You came back asking for my permission to divorce and I gave it to you! You should've left it at that..."

"But what if I just realized I never stopped loving you--"

Gritting his teeth, Baekhyun violently shook his head. "No. Chanyeol, please stop," he said quietly. "Let me move on... I want you to stop thinking about me. Stop confusing yourself. You moved on a long time ago, Chanyeol. Now, let me have my turn, okay?"

The argument ended despite the fact that Chanyeol wanted to object to everything. They looked at each other knowing what was just said was a lie, but Chanyeol didn't know what else to do. Taking he step away, he turned around and did as he did years before.

He walked out.

-

-

The next few weeks passed by in a blur for Chanyeol. His suit was fitted, his shoes were measured, and his clothes were picked according to what Kyungsoo had in mind. It wasn't until a week before the wedding that Chanyeol found out where he was to be married.

It was supposed to make him happy because of the way that Kyungsoo thought long and hard on it, but he couldn't help, but want to cry.

They were to be married in his hometown in the very chapel that Baekhyun and he had gotten married in.

Nothing hurt more than that fact, but Chanyeol was sure Kyungsoo knew nothing of the church's history with him. Accepting Kyungsoo gesture, Chanyeol thanked him.

Their relationship had gotten quiet as the wedding neared. Kyungsoo seemed nervous, often asking Chanyeol if he was sure he wanted to get married. Chanyeol didn't know what brought the male's new sense of insecurity on, but he assured--despite knowing how he felt--that he wanted to proceed with the wedding.

-

-

As Chanyeol stood in the aisle waiting for Kyungsoo to come out, he felt sick to his stomach, absolutely sure that what he was doing would render him miserable for the rest of his life as well as Kyungsoo's. The music began to play and all their guests stood up as Kyungsoo slowly walked past them with his father. Slowly taking Kyungsoo's hand, Chanyeol smiled at him as Kyungsoo joined him at the altar.

Quietly, beyond the audience's ears, Kyungsoo looked up into Chanyeol's eyes desperately and asked, "Are you sure?"

Chanyeol, for once, hesitated. The look on his face gave Kyungsoo his real answer despite saying, "Yes.."

Kyungsoo, though reluctant, nodded, accepting his response. "Alright..."

Holding each other's hand, Kyungsoo nodded at the priest and the wedding began to proceed.

-

-

"We gather here today to witness the marriage between Kyungsoo and Chanyeol..."

-

-

"Today, we come together to bear witness to the holy matrimony of Baekhyun and Chanyeol..."

-

-

"Do you, Do Kyungsoo, pledge to take Park Chanyeol as your lawfully wedded husband, through sickness and in health, through joys and sorrows, and through hardships and triumph for all the days of your lives?"

"I do."

-

-

"Do you, Byun Baekhyun, take Park Chanyeol as your husband? To love and to hold through sickness and in health? To share your joys and your sorrows with and all of your obstacles and triumphs for as long as you live?"

"Yes! Yes, I do!"

"And do you, Park Chanyeol, take Byun Baekhyun as your husband? To love and to hold through sickness and in health? To share your joys and your sorrows with and all of your obstacles and triumphs for as long as you two shall live?"

"Yeah, why not?"

-

-

"And do you, Park Chanyeol, pledge to take Do Kyungsoo as your lawfully wedded husband, through sickness and in health, through joys and sorrows, and through hardships and triumph for all the days of your lives?"

Chanyeol opened his mouth to respond, but he found that no words came out. He froze, catching the look on Kyungsoo's face before pursing his lips. He quickly gave himself a small push, but just as the words began to fall from his lips, the chapel door slammed open with a voice yelling at them to "Stop!"

Snapping his head towards the entrance, Chanyeol frowned. "Luhan?"

"You can't get married yet!" Luhan cried as he ran breathlessly to the altar. When he got there, he was breathing heavily, but he still managed to talk. "Not yet, you can't..."

Kyungsoo looked back and forth between Chanyeol and Luhan before asking, "What's going on?"

Glancing down at the papers in Luhan's hand, Chanyeol creased his brows. "Why're you here? What's that?"

"Your...Ah, crap," Luhan groaned as he heaved. "Your attorney sent it to the post office on express."

"Well, what is it?" Chanyeol asked, side glancing the crowd.

"You're not divorced," Luhan said, trying to keep his voice down. "You're still married to Baekhyun."

Kyungsoo's eyes darted to Chanyeol, who didn't look too devastated by the news.

"What?"

"It needs the final signatures," Luhan explain. "He said that there were signatures missing."

"But Baekhyun signed it already. I checked."

"Yes, he did," Luhan nodded before pursing his lips. "It's your signature that I need. Your signatures are the ones that are missing..."

Life could not have given Chanyeol one last obvious opportunity to pull out. As Luhan reached for a pen in his back pocket, Chanyeol eyes on him knowing that Kyungsoo was watching his every move.

Handing the pen over to Chanyeol, Luhan flipped through the papers and held it out to Chanyeol with his clipboard, pointing at where he needed to sign.

With his hands shaking, Chanyeol fought with himself for every inch that his hand neared the legal papers. But as the tip of the pen made contact with the paper, Kyungsoo snatched the pen and threw it on the ground.

"You're not signing that."

Caught off guard, Chanyeol looked at him, bewildered. "What?"

"You're not going to sign that," Kyungsoo repeated. "You don't want to and I don't want to force you to do anything that you don't want to." Looking at the ring on Chanyeol's finger, Kyungsoo shook his head and forcibly took it off. "You don't want to marry me. I can see it in your eyes, Chanyeol."

"Kyungsoo, I--"

"Save it," Kyungsoo gently said. "I already know you're still in love with him. Hell, I saw you two attack each other's lips at that art gallery."

Chanyeol blinked. "Soo-"

"I went looking for you when you didn't come home. Someone said you were at the art gallery so I went. Imagine the shock I got when I walked in on you making out with your ex-husband--Well, husband."

With nothing else to say, Chanyeol thinned his lips. "I'm so sorry, Soo..."

Shrugging, Kyungsoo gave him a lopsided grin. "Why should you apologize for how you feel? I kept asking you whether or not you wanted to go through with all of this, but you kept insisting that you did. If you had said 'I do', I would have objected to our own wedding anyways."

"Why didn't you call the wedding off, then?" Chanyeol asked, not caring about the fact that their wedding had turned into a soap opera in front of a live audience.

"I already sent out the invites and hired the caterers. It was a waste so I thought we'd just get together and eat," Kyungsoo said. "Don't get me wrong. I'm slightly mad at you. I was really mad, but the more time passed, I guess I started to forgive you."

Chanyeol looked down and glanced at Luhan who was looking at them like he didn't know what to do. Then, he turned his eyes at Kyungsoo. "So what now?"

"Well, I can take everybody else to the reception hall," Kyungsoo started, "while you play the runaway bride who goes searching for his love out in the rain."

"But it's not raining."

"Oh, it will!" Luhan piped. "It's in today's forecast. The cows at the farm even started to huddle together to get ready for it."

Hitting Chanyeol on the arm, Kyungsoo cocked his head and pointed out the door. "Go, you ."

For the first time in weeks, Chanyeol genuinely felt something for Kyungsoo. Cracking a grin, he gave the smaller male one last peck on the cheeks before he started running down the aisle. "Thank you, Kyungsoo!"

"Whatever! You're paying half the wedding bills!"

Chanyeol took the deal as he ran out the chapel doors.

-

-

The rain has started to pour a lot sooner than Baekhyun had thought it would. In the middle of moving some of his furniture onto the moving trucks, the rain began to pelt him. The trees around his house gave him no protection from the water.

With his hair and clothes sticking onto him, he tried to finish the job quickly, but was thrown off guard by a visitor. After jumping off the loading truck to run back to the house to get more things, he froze in his place when he saw the figure standing between him and the house.

Underneath the pouring rain, Baekhyun bit his lips, confused as to what the person in front of him was doing. Before he start, he was cut off.

Drenched by the rain and breathless from running all the way from the chapel, Chanyeol looked absolutely crazy--and it scared Baekhyun through hell and back.

"I ran two miles for you!" Chanyeol shouted against the sound of the pounding weather. "I couldn't wait for a taxi because I had to see you!"

"What're you doing!?" Baekhyun screamed back. "Aren't you supposed to be married!?"

Ignoring him, Chanyeol continued. "I'm already married!"

"Then what're you doing here with me, you ing idiot!" Baekhyun shouted in a hurt voice. "Where's your husband? Aren't you supposed to be with him right now!?"

"I am!" Chanyeol yelled, taking fast steps towards Baekhyun. "I am married, and I am with my husband right now."

"What're you--"

Taking hold of him, Chanyeol kissed his husband's lips feverishly. He didn't mind that they were outside or the fact that they were both soaking wet. Desperate and trembling hands held onto Baekhyun's face as Chanyeol asked for entrance.

Giving in, Baekhyun curled his fingers around Chanyeol's neck and pulled him down, deepening the kiss. Moving his hands behind the smaller male, Chanyeol took Baekhyun by the back of his thighs. With one decisive decision, Baekhyun jumped up and wrapped his legs around Chanyeol's waist as the taller male held his weight, pressing both of them against each other.

-

-

A few months later, they got remarried.

It was all Chanyeol's idea. They were already married, but Chanyeol wanted to redo the entire ceremony. Baekhyun didn't want to cause a commotion, but the entire town goaded him until he embarrassingly agreed.

After their wedding, they spent their wedding night at their house, which Baekhyun decided not to sell after all.

Chanyeol resigned from his job as an editor. Before he formally left, he checked up on Kyungsoo and was happy to know that he had hit it off with Kris in the midst of the wedding fiasco months prior.

Choosing not to become too worldly famous, Baekhyun never pursued an international career as an artist. He stayed at home and lived off the wealth he already accumulated over the years.

With everything reconciled and Baekhyun back at his side again, Chanyeol was content. As he sat behind his husband one afternoon, hugging him as he painted a portrait of their front yard, Chanyeol rested his head against Baekhyun's shoulders, closing his eyes and vowing to never let go again.

 

The End.

 

------------------------

a/n: rereading this was a TRIP omf... anyways! 

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/exolefirstclass

Ko-Fi: http://www.ko-fi.com/exobubz (If you would like to buy me ko-fi to support my work! )