22% Off

Not For Sale
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

7

 

“Jongin, stop it…” Is it only me who has heard this susurrant for the past fifteen minutes? The puppylike coquetry had been amusing at first, dare I say endearing, even, but it did not take long before my skin began prickling with secondhand embarrassment. I make an effort to take notes on the lecture, but a chatty English-speaker at each ear and an adolescent couple just a few seats away are proving robust hindrances to this task. I slam my notebook on the desk.

“I’m going to muzzle you guys if you don’t give me five minutes of quiet,” I threaten the two boys.

“Oh, ! I’m very open-minded in bed,” Johnny says with a wiggle of his eyebrows. I punch his shoulder. From behind him, I see a blur of faces turned in our direction. I punch Jackson as well. He rasps out, “What did I do?!” Some giggles are emitted from the faces. An ahem resounds through the room. Our names are recited.

“Please, either share with us what you found so interesting about my class or make yourselves scarce in the hallway.” Half of the class zeros in on us at the teacher’s call-out. My friends laugh sheepishly and I remain silent, never a fan of the limelight. Knowing that we are not going to speak, the old man nods to the door.

“Out.”

We comply, pinching each other on the way. Just before I walk out the door, I hear the words “puppy lovers,” “focus in class,” and “Miss Jung”. Jackson glimpses back and then keeps his hold on the door for a certain tall figure to saunter through. As according to discipline, the four of us—from left to right: Jackson, Johnny, me, and Jongin—stand with our backs flat against the wall in silence. Forty seconds in, Johnny whispers, “I'm hungry.” Jackson moans.

“Me too! Let's just go to the cafeteria.” They lift themselves off the wall, spinning on their feet after to look at the remaining two still dutifully in their positions.

“This guy doesn't even check on the people he sends out. Everyone just ends up skipping class,” Johnny urges. I hum without a step forward. He rolls his eyes.

“And you, Jongin?” I see movement from my upper peripheral. Jackson sighs like he's dealing with a bunch of toddlers.

“Whatever, just leave the cowards to their standing duties. Hope you find your time well spent!” I blow raspberries at the boys who give us mocking waves until they disappear in the distance.

 

More time passes with just standing. I begin to regret not tagging along with my friends. My stomach rumbles.

“Didn't you just eat, like, two hours ago?” Jongin breaks the silence to ask an incredulous question.

“Uh,” is all I can say. He shakes his head.

“You

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter