Macchiato

Stop Extending My Shifts, Goddamn It

To my surprise, she kept her promise.

 

For the next few days, she dropped by at our café as if it became a part of her daily routine.

I mean, I’m grateful that she’s transforming herself into a regular customer of ours-

 

But I just wish she’d be a normal, regular customer.

And not someone who only shows up after our ‘closed’ sign was being clearly displayed to the world for everyone to see.

 

... Because here she was again, wanting to get her daily caffeine in her system when I was supposed to lock everything up.

 

I hope my boss won’t kill me for this.

Goddamn it.

 

 

“One macchiato, please.”

“Can’t you visit during our actual working hours?” I raised my eyebrow at her as I still unlocked the front door for her despite currently nagging her about it, “I swear you’re going to get me fired someday.”

 

“But this is the only way I can secure your attention.” I saw her pout as she stood herself before me. “You’d be too busy to chat with me during your proper shifts.”

“Still, I can’t simply extend my shifts every single time you decide to show up 11:30 PM!”

“But aren’t you still doing that, like, right this instant?” her lips arched into a cheeky grin, making me roll my eyes at her.

 

I responded by ignoring her and walking towards the coffee machines to make her drink of the night.

She went ahead and sat on her favourite couch.

I heard her speak up as I made her drink.

 

“Ah- feel free to make yourself something too! My treat.”

“I’d rather not encourage you to visit me at this time.” I sneered back.

“Come ooon.” she whined from her seat, “Let’s have coffee together!”

 

That sentence...

It seemed as if nothing has changed since the first time we met.

 

I can’t believe I’ve somewhat known this weird girl for around a month or so now.

It’s strange to think how she just randomly stumbled into my life one night, yet somehow remained in it unlike any other strangers I’ve came across.

 

Who is she and why does she keep on coming back?

 

 

 

“Say…” I became the one who spoke up first as I placed our cups of coffee onto the table, “Can I ask you a question?”

“Fire away.” she said before she took a sip of her drink, instantly burning her tongue just as usual. “Ouch.”

 

“When will you ever learn?” I found myself giggling, resulting her to pout at me again, this time with a set of puppy eyes.

They were surprisingly powerful.

 

“I always get too excited to taste your coffee, that’s all.” she answered with a sheepish grin while I looked at her weirdly.

“It’s just normal coffee.” I mumbled, “There’s nothing special about it.”

 

“No, it is special.” I watched her shake her head almost immediately.

I frowned my eyebrows in confusion. “How so?”

 

 

“Because you’re the one who made it.”

 

 

It was a poor decision to take a sip of my own drink at that moment, since I actually choked on it this time and started an uncontrollable coughing fit.

She cackled up while my face flushed red in embarrassment.

What nonsense is she spouting now?

 

“Are you okay?” she asked after I finally calmed back down.

“Thanks for expressing concern after laughing at me.” I hissed while she chuckled some more due to my comment.

“Sorry, you were just too cute.”

 

“Okay- what are you trying to do here?” I finally spoke what was truly in my head.

 

Despite the heat of my cheeks, I somehow had the courage to stare straight into her crescent-shaped eyes.

She was still smiling at me brightly as she replied my question.

 “What do you mean?”

 

I took a deep breath before I gave her an answer.

“Correct me if I’m wrong, but were you flirting with me?”

 

I saw her freeze in her seat, her eyes slightly widened compared to before.

Yet, her expression shows no hints of shock nor embarrassment.

She was simply staring back at me.

 

I blinked back at her while I waited for a response.

She only gave me one after suddenly bursting into a light-hearted laughter.

 

 

“You’ve only noticed that now?”

 

 

It was my turn to tense up in my seat.

I didn’t know it was possible for my face to warm up even more, but they sure did.

 

“W-What?” I blurted out in shock, “Are you… are you serious?”

“I thought you’ve been ignoring them on purpose, but I guess you were just too dense to pick up my hints in the first place.” she continued to laugh. “Better than being indirectly rejected, I suppose.”

 

“But… why on Earth would you even be attracted to me?” I couldn’t help but ask as my curiosity and confusion were killing me.

I cringed from my own question but I knew I had to know the answer.

 

“Why wouldn’t I be? You’re like a goddess on Earth.”

“Y-You know nothing about me, though.” I spluttered, “We don’t even know each other’s names, for God’s sake!”

“Still, I’ve seen enough to develop an interest in you. We’ve technically known each other for a month now, you know.” she replied while leaning towards me, resting her chin onto her hand which had its elbow propped on the table.

 

My eyes automatically glanced at her other hand which she had now extended out.

It seemed like she was going for a handshake, so I took it.

As soon as I held on, she starting shaking them gently.

 

“By the way, nice to meet you.” she smiled, “My name’s Jung Eunji.”