Twice (ironically)

Ironically In Time (or maybe not)

The two best friends since forever started walking out of what is now being considered the Legendary Day Prof Myoui Was Late by 3 minutes and 25 seconds.

 

And to add to this legendary day, class ended early, which was also a new thing from Prof Myoui who prioritized efficiency during class. But first days are always a little unexpected. Professor Myoui already seemed off from walking in late but she also established the most efficient first day Nayeon had in awhile. No ice breakers. No weird questionnaires. Professor Myoui did roll call, went over the syllabus, and that was it.

 

Class dismissed.

 

Nayeon walked with a little skip in her step. “What a way to start out first day back.” She commented, trying to get the attention of her friend beside her who was too engrossed in watching a video on their phone.

 

Nayeon tries to watch over Jeongyeons shoulder, “What’s wrong with the quality?”

“I don’t know. Maybe get better glasses?”

 

Nayeon pushes Jeongyeons shoulder.

 

“Ow… Ok scratch that.” Her eyes never leaving the phone but an accusatory finger points towards Nayeon. "I hope your eyesight gets worse so your accuracy drops and my arm can survive my lifetime.”

 

Nayeon squints at Jeongyeon with an unreadable expression. A threatening silence falling between them.

 

Nayeon finally realizes Jeongyeon was a watching GFriend music video.

 

“Oof!” Jeongyeon crumbles to the ground. “Uncalled for!” Jeongyeon clutches her shin as Nayeon walks off.

 

 

1:01

 

Her steps rushed. Her eyes focused to the ground. Her heart pumping at a pace that seems like it’ll jumpstart out of her chest. Her hand reaches toward the handle of a door she’s become so familiar within record time.

 

8 seconds but that was besides the point. 

 

Her whole body needed to be alone.

 

The door clicked shut behind her. She could feel her body slowly taking the breath she’d been holding for the past hour. Half the anxiety she felt a few moments ago in class slowly leaving her but still, she turned to lock the door, switched the light off, shrugged her coat off her shoulders, and hung it over the doors window. 

 

It doesn’t hurt to be cautious, she thought.

 

Finally, she could feel her shoulders releasing the weight her pride let her hold. Hung her head hung low, posture becoming indecent to her usual image. Her feet dragging across carpet floors across her small office toward her even smaller desk. With her last shuffled step she collapses onto her chair, fully letting her body relax. She finally registers the pounding that’s in her head. It was loud and uninvited to her session of being alone but her heightened adrenaline rush could be the blame for that. She squints her eyes shut, the crease between her eyebrows deepening just as she sunk deeper into her office chair. 

 

This room wasn’t just a room. This was her small office. Her small space where she could keep whatever memories she wanted inside. Always happy moments, always small mementos of adventures and trips she’d taken with her best friends, Sana and Momo. Postcards that were never sent mostly because she only used them for the photo memorabilia. But here in her small office was herself.  

 

But for some reason other than a sadistic part of herself she kept a small mirror on her desk. Something so small that reminded her who she was and that even in this small space she worked earnestly for, there was a face that was recognizable to everyone. It was in her name, it was in her background, it was who she was and there was really no escaping that pressure even in this small office she’d made a temporary home in.  

 

So she kept the mirror in hopes that she’d fight for herself.  

 

Mina opened her eyes and her gaze immediately finding the mirror reflecting her disheveled figure. She reached out, gently placing the mirror face down. She didn’t need the affirmation of how disheveled her image was at the moment. Leaning back in her chair, she inhaled the largest breath she could, holding it in… 

count, count, count, count…. 

Exhaling just as much air as her muscles could push out.

 

“Alright, maybe I’m a little too hung over this ‘be prompt’ title.” She tried reasoning with herself.  “Maybe turn a new leaf?”

 

Eyes that read crisp lines turned into blurry hazes as exhaustion momentarily took over. When she gained enough strength to refocus she realized she had been zoning out at an actual leaf in her hand. She glanced up to her small potted plant blooming lavenders spotting a particular stem that was missing a few leaves. Before worry could take over a flash of a memory crossed her mind. 

 

The little ceramic pot she received as a white elephant exchange held another bright memory in her small office.  Momo had begged to exchange with her when she opened the gift. Sadly, Momo had already used her one exchange when she exchanged her shot glass for Mina’s socks. Nobody really wins during white elephant exchanges but Sana got the tickets Mina bought for a Red Velvet concert. The three of them went together regardless of who Sana threatened. 

Mina placed the small leaf back into the ceramic pot hoping that her lavenders weren’t too dehydrated or too cold from the AC she couldn't control. 

Nevertheless, the flowers aroma worked it’s magic in calming her mind.

 

She lifted the small mirror back up and placed it in it’s original spot. Now sitting up a little straighter, fixing her ruffled up hair, buttoning her dress shirt, she finally took a long look into the mirror. She was Mina and this Mina worked blood, sweat, and tears for this job and no one else can say they did this. Her reflection slightly smirking, told her money could buy her way out, told her, her name wasn’t just Mina, told her the reputation she’s made isn’t award worthy.

She winced at that. She was still looking at her reflection when she reminisced to the events that happened earlier today.

 

Maybe she should be thankful to Dr. Son for running into her door and making her late. This was a new semester after all. 

 

Her thoughts wandered to a smile she seemed oddly familiar with. Hints of something she wish she could— 

 

As if on cue, her thoughts were disrupted by a small knock against her door. Quickly getting up from her chair, she shuffles around her desk in the dark scrutinizing with every step how someone would bother knocking at a room that had their lights off. 

 

Habits die hard and she glances at her watch.

 

1:45

 

Oh.

 

She opens the door.

 

Double oh…

 

“Hi Professor Myoui!” Dr. Son energetically greets. She peeks inside and sees that the lights were off. “Oh. I’m sorry if I caught you at a bad time… Well it wasn’t like the first time wasn’t any better but! I just wanted to stop by to say thank you for helping me out earlier.”

Mina waved her hand, dismissing the worry, and switched her office lights on.

 

“No don’t worry about it... Just, you know, taking naps when I can.” She gave an awkward laugh. “And no problem. I suppose I should be thanking you right now.”

 

Chaeyoung’s eyes widened. Confusion blatantly showing on Dr. Son’s face. Mina thought of how Dr. Son was way too cute when flustered.

 

Mina cleared , “You knocked on my door at just the right time.” She grabbed her coat hanging from behind her door, putting it on.

 

Dr. Son eyed the gesture, “And?”

 

Mina took a step closer to Chaeyoung, closing her office door behind her, “We" She paused waiting for the click of the door, "Are going to lunch.”

 

Chaeyoung mouthed an “Oh” as Mina brushed passed her and towards the cafeteria. Her ears were burning now and she’s pretty sure it’s the second time she’s blushed today. Chaeyoung following her soon after, "well I guess that was a lot easier than I thought," she mumbled to herself while trying to cool off her cheeks. 

 

 

1:29:45

 

“I’m telling you Dahyun, I wasn’t late on purpose!” Chaeyoung tried consoling her friend who was obviously still upset when Chaeyoung rushed into their class 10 minutes late.

 

Dahyun pouted, “I told you multiple times when our class started—”

“I set multiple alarms and even sent you a text that I was on camp—”

 

“And I told you that if you weren’t here at least 2 minutes before I wasn’t going to be treating you to lunch, as our tradition holds, it was my turn but now I refuse to offer you any!”

 

Dahyun was mad. Like mad mad. Chaeyoung should of been deeply afraid at this point but the huffs of frustration Dahyun was exuding every 2 seconds and the huge pout on her face was making it way less intimidating.

 

Chaeyoung gave her friend the saddest, kicked puppy eyes she could muster. “I’m really sorry Dahyun-ah~ Dahyun-ah will you forgive me~” She whined pinching Dahyuns puffed out cheeks.

If this was anywhere outside of Dahyuns office, most of the staff would think they were students, not highly respected professors on campus.

 

Dahyun let out a huff of defeat and pinched Chaeyoungs cheek harder.

 

“Hey!” Chaeyoung whacked the hand away from her face. " I did tell you that it wasn’t may fault…per se… I ran into a door and all the syllabi I prepared, but also didn’t staple, had flown everywhere. Thus I ran back to your office to print out more pristine syllabi that I know students would much more appreciate, giving you plus points in the best prof award.” She smiled and flipped her hair in dramatic fashion, “Presentation matters.”

 

Chaeyoungs smile didn’t waver as Dahyun’s mouth hung agape.

 

“You art nerd.”

A gasp.

 

“Take that back”

 

“Never”

 

They eyed each other. Tiptoeing, trying to one up their cm height difference to stare down the other.

 

Chaeyoung sighed in defeat. “Fine. It’s on me.”

 

Dahyun jumped in pure happiness, hugging her friend.

 

“This is friendship!” She hugged Chaeyoung tighter. Both laughing at their silliness.

 

Finally they ended their hug with their signature “swag” solute and headed out of Dahyun's office.

 

Before they left the department Chaeyoung stopped mid step and made a complete 180 turn heading towards a certain office. Dayhun looked back confused but Chaeyoung yelled out she’d meet her at the cafe. Cue "swag" solute for the mutual understanding call and off Chaeyoung went.

 

She needed to see someone first.