It's Not You, It's Me

It's Not You, It's Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Will you be my girlfriend?" the question escaped his lips, shakily. His heart thumped hard against his chest as he waited for her response. He watched as her lips begin tugging upwards, causing his heart to flutter. "Yes, Changkyun, of course I will. I thought you'd never ask." She replied cheekily, pressing a kiss onto his pink and warm cheeks. 'Oh my freaking god, she said yes', he thought as he picked her up and spun her around in joy. 

Changkyun stared numbly at the photo of the two of them on the day they got together, which was three years ago, he wished he could still feel the happiness that he felt back then whenever he was with her or even anywhere near her. He didn't even understand what caused him to lose the feelings he once had for her. She was his everything. Was. Now, she just seemed like a burden to him. He felt himself being more relaxed away from her and he hated himself for feeling like that.

He was constantly stressed out because he wanted to end things with her but the guilt was eating him up on the inside. She still loved him the same and he could see it. He hated her for it, for still being so blindly in love with him when he is being such a jerk to her. He wished she would pick up the signals he's been trying to send her and end it before he has to take things into his own hands.

Changkyun has been avoiding her, always giving excuses to bail going out on dates with her. He replies to all her texts with short and uninterested responses. He doesn't pick up her calls anymore. It hurt her and he knows it, that was what he wanted. He no longer cared that he hurt her, he just wanted her out of his life once and for all. Perhaps he has gotten tired of her and their love didn't seem exciting anymore. Whatever it was, he just wants to be free of her.

With that thought, he sent her a text telling her to meet him at a cafe that they used to always spend their free time at. She replied in an instant, Ok love, see you there <3. That made him squeeze his eyes shut, there is no one he hates more than himself at the moment. He was going to break her heart, the girl that meant the world to him not too long ago. But for their happiness, he had to do this. She didn't deserve to be treated the way he treated her for the past few months and he wanted to free her from him as well.

 

My heart raced as I received his text, asking me to meet him at the cafe where we shared most of our sweetest memories. I couldn't help but smile at that, I missed him so much. We didn't see each other for a while now due to him being very busy, or at least that's what he's been telling me. I didn't even get to listen to his voice much as he would rarely pick up my calls these days. Whatever it is, I'm sure he has a good reason for it. 

Biting down onto my lip to suppress my excitement, I immediately chose a casual and pretty outfit before throwing it on and rushing out towards the cafe. I arrived early, which was totally fine, and ordered our favourite drinks while waiting for my boyfriend to show up. Time slowly passed as I sipped onto my latte, he wouldn't stand me up this time, would he? I thought to myself in anxiety and stared out towards the empty entrance. 

I shook my head and smiled to myself in assurance, of course he wouldn't, he's the one who asked me out today for the first time in so long. He wouldn't let me down like this. Deep down, I knew I was lying to myself. He has let me down so many times for the past few months but I remained optimistic because I love and have faith in him. I convinced myself that it was only due to his work that he hadn't spent much time with me. 

I started to lose hope as I gazed sadly at his cup of latte that was already cold by now. It has been an hour and a half but he has yet to make an appearance. I took my phone out and stared at his contact, my finger lingered unsurely around his name, wondering if I should call him. Just as I was about to swipe my thumb across the contact, "Hey, sorry I'm late." It was that deep voice that I had missed so dearly. My breath hitched as the scent of his cologne hit me.

 

Changkyun watched as she stared up at him with the brightest smile he had ever seen on her. He forced out a small smile of his own before settling himself down in front of her. He didn't mean to make her wait so long, he was actually already there right after she arrived not too long later. He watched her from a corner and contemplated on how he should tell her. He didn't realise how long he has kept her waiting until he saw that she was about to call him.

Now here he is, right in front of his girlfriend that he has been neglecting and pushing away. He felt himself grow tense as she placed her soft and small hand onto his large ones and proceeded to tell him how much she had missed him. He took a huge gulp before pulling his hands out of her grasp before avoiding her eyes. He didn't need to look to know that her face held nothing but a crestfallen expression. 

"Look, I asked you to come here today to tell you something that's been on my mind lately and I think you may know what it's about." Changkyun dared a glance at her to see that she was taking deep breaths and her eyes were focusing on anywhere but him. He too took in a large breath before beginning, "I don't wanna hurt you but I have to tell you now that it's not easy for me to hide how I feel. I used to be so happy being with you all the time. We could be doing nothing at all and I'd still be over the moon just being with you. I used to be so happy listening to your stories but now even when you're telling me interesting stories, I'm only nodding like it means nothing to me."

He watched as tears spilled like a waterfall from her eyes and she tried her utter best to force her sobs down. He sighed before continuing, "Today, you're the same as yesterday or the day before or the day that we got together. Only I'm different, I changed. It's not you, it's me. I really didn't know or expect myself to have these feelings but that's that and I can't change it. I just don't feel the same way anymore and you don't deserve to be treated like this. I'm so sorry but I want to end this." 

 

Blood rushed to my cheeks as I felt his arms snake its way around my waist before he placed a kiss onto my neck, "Happy anniversary, babe." I turned around in his arms to face him, "Happy anniversary to you too, Changkyun. I love you." He grinned before pulling me into a deep kiss, his hands cupping the back of my head. I pulled away slightly only to find his eyes gazing into mine, "I love you too, baby. Forever." My eyes widen, "Forever?" He chuckled and nodded, "Trust me, forever."

I stifled my cries and nodded slowly as I felt my own heart break into pieces. A painful smile made its way onto my lips, "I... I understand. It happens and you don't need to feel bad about it. I'm sorry if I ever made you feel like you're being tied down to something you didn't want." I spoke in a small voice. Changkyun still meant the world to me and because of that, I didn't want him to feel like he needed to pity me or be guilty of something that is out of his control.

I stood up from my seat and raised a hand for him to shake, "I-I wish you happiness, Changkyun." He immediately stood up as well and slipped his hand into mine before gently shaking it, "Thank you, I wish you nothing but happiness as well." My heart ached at that. If only he knew that he will always be my happiness. I nodded and grabbed my belongings, "I h-have somewhere else to go. B-Bye." I ran as hard as I could away from the cafe that was once my happy place.

The sobs escaped my lips loudly the moment I set foot into my home

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter