End

Christmas Miracle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Um, hi?” Jongdae mumbles as he blinks owlishly at the person standing in the doorway. He isn't dressed appropriately for this. He hasn't had enough sleep to deal with this. This being none other than Kim Taeyeon who shifts awkwardly from one foot to the next, arms behind her back as she tries to look literally anywhere but at Jongdae's face. She settles for his bare feet and he resists the urge to curl his toes in embarrassment.

“Is Baek home?” She asks, voice as plain and sweet as he remembers. Her cheeks are dusted in a light blush, most probably from the cold weather outside.

“No. He's pro-” He stops himself. Right. They're no longer together. She's not entitled to know the details of Baekhyun's life. Jongdae clears his throat awkwardly and tries to shuffle his half dressed body behind the door as much as he can without seeming too rude. “Sorry. He isn't home.”

It's a sincere apology. Taeyeon notices it too and she finally looks up, eyes shiny and resigned. He feels horrible. “It’s fine. Thank you, Dae.” She gives him the tiniest of smiles and then turns around, walking down the corridor towards the elevator, honey blonde curls bouncing behind her. Jongdae watches until the shiny metal doors slide shut and then returns to the living room.

Taeyeon and Baekhyun's breakup had been mutual and cordial. They'd come to an agreement that they no longer seemed to work together and parted ways. Baekhyun was upset for quite some time but by the second month, he'd returned to normal. Sometimes Jongdae wonders if Taeyeon really wanted it or if she accepted only because she knew she couldn’t hold Baekhyun back.

He grabs the beer he'd been nursing before the knock at the door and takes a long drag. The bottle comes off his lips with an obnoxious pop and he sighs and pulls his knees to his chest, the fleece of his pyjama bottoms brushing his bare abdomen just barely. It's almost seven. Baekhyun should be home soon. He'd texted the older to get takeout because he wasn't in a cooking mood but Baekhyun hadn't even opened his chat.

It's nearing nine when Baekhyun finally returns. Jongdae had long given up on his best friend and starved off his hunger with instant ramyeon and a family size bag of chips. The man's nose is pink, as are his cheeks as he unwraps the scarf draped over the lower half of his face. “Hey.” He greets casually.

“Hey.” Jondage tries to reply just as nonchalant.

Baekhyun doesn't give an explanation for his lateness and Jongdae feels like it isn't his business to ask despite having the title of roommate slash best friend. He keeps his eyes glued to the television, thumb between his teeth as he idly nibbles on the skin, listening to Baekhyun kick off his shoes and hang up his coat. “Tae was here today.” He calls out when the sound of footsteps are just beginning to fade.

“Oh?” Suddenly the footfalls get heavier and closer. Baekhyun’s standing by the kitchen island, propped against it and looking unfairly handsome in his black turtleneck and blue washed jeans. Jongdae blinks away the reflection in television. “What did she want?”

The flippancy in his voice aggravates Jongdae. Baekhyun hadn't seen the sadness in Taeyeon's eyes. Baekhyun only ever sees himself. “She asked for you. I told her you weren't at home and she left. That's all.” His response is curt.

“What time was that?” Baekhyun yawns, either disinterested or oblivious to the tense atmosphere.

“A bit before seven.”

“Huh. She knows I usually get in after seven. Maybe she came to see you.” He teases lightly.

“Why the would she do that?” Jongdae responds tersely.

“I don't know Dae. Why would she?” Baekhyun slides over and drops himself onto the couch. He fixes Jongdae with a sleazy smile.

The vein in Jongdae's temple twitches. He curls his fingers into his palms. “Apparently you're the only one who would know anything.” He snaps. “You know, considering I'm gay and all. And I'm also living with her ex.” Who is an arrogant , he doesn't tack on.

Baekhyun simply arches a brow and crosses his arms over his chest like Jongdae's attitude is uncalled for. This is what Jongdae hates the most - Baekhyun's disenchantment with anything that isn't directly attached to or about him. “Anyways, she seemed sad. Maybe you should call her.” He forces out.

“Why would I do that? If she really needed to tell me something, she'd have called me. She came to my place so she clearly just wanted to see me.” Baekhyun snorts. He leans back a little, regarding Jongdae with an unreadable expression. Suddenly, the younger feels cold. His anger immediately dissipates under an icy blanket of insecurity as Baekhyun's sleepy eyes scrutinise him. He swallows hard and tries to find his words in the sudden blankness of his mind. His heart thuds in his chest. Maybe Baekhyun can hear it.

“What's wrong with that?” Jongdae tries to sound accusing. Instead it comes out neutral and painfully bland. Almost as indifferent as Baekhyun had been earlier.

“Everything?” Baekhyun responds cynically. “It's been four months. Whatever she's doing isn't healthy for her. She needs to let go and find happiness elsewhere.” Baekhyun sighs and shakes his head. “Look, I had a really long day at the office and Chanyeol got me ty pre-packaged food for dinner. I don't want to deal with Tae right now. I'm sorry if that offends you but it's my decision to make. I'm going to bed. You should too.”

The response is clipped and Jongdae comes to the painful realisation that Baekhyun is probably right in the way he regarded the situation. Baekhyun heads to his room and shuts the door quietly leaving Jongdae to mull over the words. So that's why he was late. Jongdae scratches the back of his head unsure of what to make of the information and their conversation. Baekhyun had given him the last thing he expected - an answer.

 

 

Taeyeon is perched on the recliner when Jongdae finally drags himself out of his bedroom, a steaming mug of coffee wrapped up in her delicate fingers and nose deep in the swirling clouds of steam rising from the beige liquid. Jongdae blinks stupidly at the sight and then bites his tongue to make sure he's awake. . Now he's in pain and confused. Again, he finds himself in Taeyeon’s company completely underdressed and unprepared for her presence. “Uh…” he trails off intelligently just as Baekhyun swoops in from the kitchen and hands him a bowl of fried rice and his own cup of coffee, a stark contrast in colour to Taeyeon's sweetened drink. “Thanks.” He mumbles.

Baekhyun places a warm palm at the small of his back and Jongdae resists the urge to shiver as he's guided to the couch. “What's going on?” He leans closer to his best friend and whispers. Taeyeon hasn't noticed him yet, too preoccupied with her thoughts and drink.

Baekhyun shoots him a blank look and shrugs. His hair is still tousled from sleep making it evident he’d rushed out of bed. Jongdae's fingers itch to clean the corners of the older's eyes and fix his bed hair but he holds steady to the mug and bowl in both hands. They both sit together and Taeyeon's gaze slowly slides over to them. This feels a lot like one of those American reality shows. Like Taeyeon is a wronged lover, about to call out her ex and the side chick on their infidelity. Slowly, she smiles, eyes crinkling and Jongdae, the sweet little guy that he is, can't help but return the gesture even if his stomach is an anxious mess. “Hi Tae.” He greets her.

“Hello Dae. Good to see you're finally awake.” She chuckles when he pouts.

“Hey. I work way too hard during the week to not enjoy my weekends.” He defends playfully.

“That's true. He's been pulling a lot of all-nighters the past couple of weeks to finish his research paper.” Baekhyun adds. Both Jongdae and Taeyeon turn to look at him simultaneously. “What?” He questions, affronted. “Who do you think takes off your glasses when your face is half melted into your keyboard?”

“The blankets too?” Jongdae asks slowly. He has to renew the grip on his coffee mug. It was slowly slipping out of his grasp. He'd found it strange at first, waking up under warm fluffy blankets but chalked it up to sleep deprivation-induced memory loss. Now it all makes sense.

Taeyeon snorts. “How cute.” She's suddenly sharp, round eyes narrowed and though it’s far from threatening, Jongdae’s anxiety spikes, feeling completely exposed.

Baekhyun sticks out his tongue at her. This really isn't right. Is Jongdae the only uncomfortable one here? “Um, can someone explain to me what's going on? I mean if you two are going to talk or something, I can eat in my room. It's totally fine.”

Silence settles over the room. Jongdae gives up on looking between the former couple to read their facial expressions and settles on staring at his rice. He wants to throw up on his lap. Eventually Baekhyun scoffs. “I think we need milk. I used half carton this morning on this one's coffee.” He points at Taeyeon and wrinkles his nose.

“You know I hate my coffee black.” Taeyeon retorts as Jongdae nods fervently and escapes the living room. He throws the coffee out in the sink and shoves the bowl of rice into the microwave. Baekhyun had given him a way out and he isn't about to let that opportunity pass. As he quickly dresses himself, he wonders briefly what exactly Taeyeon wants to talk to Baekhyun about. Why exactly she wants to see him. He frowns. There's no way they'd get back together. Baekhyun hadn't seeme

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter