Is It Love?

An Ordinary School Love

"Hey Jeongyeon."

Jeongyeon got startled and panicked, leaning over her desk as if to cover the fact that she was carving marks into the wood. Nayeon watched with amusment until she seemed to grow nervous and biting at her lip.

"I want to ask you a question with like love advice."

Jeongyeon stiffened up at the mention of love but soon relaxed. This was drama acting Nayeon. It can't be that kind of thing. It must be for her drama play, right? She sat back up in her chair while pulling her book to the corner to cover up her previous act. "Yeah, sure go ahead."

Nayeon prepared herself before continuing, "Uh, let's just say I'm in this situation where I love someone. But, I'm not sure what that person would, like, think. Like if that person would still accept me even if other people don't accept of it. I-I, wanted to ask your opinion on it. Should I ask that person out?"

Jeongyeon avoided eye contact. Guess it wasn't about a drama play. Of course not, Nayeon already acts really well anyways. She knew this question would come up sooner or later. It was just too obvious. Jeongyeon replied back insincerely in contrast to her whirling emotions.

"Ah~, I think I know who you're talking about~"
Nayeon stiffened up.

"It's that one transfer student right?" Jeongyeon's words hurt herself, but she pressed on, "You think I wouldn't have known already? You have been spending a lot of time together with him recently." (And not enough time with me) "Hm, well he's not a bad person. He's a rich chaebol with good looks, good grades, and good manners. I don't think people would think badly of you. If you, the school's #1 drama queen, date him, then we would have an untouchable couple haha. You're smart and pretty so you guys would fit together..."

Nayeon's face darkened. "Thanks. If that's how you really feel..." And she walked off. Clearly in a bad mood. Jeongyeon felt a chill rise up within her. Jeongyeon noticed that Nayeon moodily walked away. Why is she so mad? Her actions don't fit. If you're going to walk away from me, at least leave happily...

 

Jeongyeon was going to go back to sleep on her desk until she spotted something in the corner of her eye.

Jeongyeon immediately stood up, snapped awake to attention at what she was seeing. Nayeon was yet again talking and smiling ever so brightly next to that transfer student. Even though Jeongyeon knew she pushed Nayeon away, she couldn't help but feel all of these dark conflicting feelings swarming her heart. She clenched at her pleated skirt pleading inside her mind that the scenario that Nayeon asked about, that the imaginary situation Nayeon wanted advice on, was not real, that it was just for pretend.

It wasn't long before Jeongyeon crossed her arms to sleep on, and sleep off her problems, covering once again the message she carved onto the desk.