"Just Us"

Just Because
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I hate him! I hate him! I HATE HIM!"

Jinyoung whined as he sat (more like, slumped) on the table where Youngjae, a good friend of his (though, there's not many), is also seated in.

"What is your problem, hyung?"

The raven haired just rolled his eyes as he handed Youngjae the piece of paper that singlehandedly ruined his whole day.

"Is this real? You failed on a quiz?"

Yeah. That is quite unbelievable but, given that Jinyoung spent his time finishing someone's manuscript instead of reviewing, well what do you expect?

"If I could only kick him out of Korea and send him back to Thailand, I will do it! That Kumpimook Bhuwakul really is....uurrrgggghhh!!!"

"But isn't it Bambam though?" 

With this, Jinyoung glared at the younger. "Doesn't matter, Choi Youngjae."

 

Kumpimook Bhuwakul, or Bambam as what most are calling him. He is an exchange student from Thailand whom Jinyoung was assigned to assist, since it is his job as a student assistant.

He is a soccer player who pays more attention on playing the damn sport rather than on his studies. 

Jinyoung just spent spent his entire day finishing the Thai's manuscript which was due this same day! 

Jinyoung wasn't even able to review for his Science quiz, thus (for the first time EVER!!!), he failed.

 

"That guy doesn't know how to manage his time but he is an expert in wasting mine!"

Youngjae, however, just comforted his hyung since he understands the older's situation. For he is also a student assistant.

But Youngjae is luckier. Jinyoung on the other hand, isn't.

The nineteen year old student assistant is stucked with exchange students who clearly doesn't understand what "student assistant" means. They are just there to assist. Not to completely do those lazy punks' school works for them! 

 

"That is it, Youngjae." Jinyoung suddenly stood up and gathered his things.

"Where are you going?"

"To talk to the dean. I don't want to quit my job but I cannot handle another irresponsible exchange student."

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

Jinyoung got it all planned out in his head.

All those words he's been meaning to say just to ease off that heavy feeling in his chest.

He have had enough. That is Jinyoung's conclusion. And his decision is to ask the dean to spare him from dealing with another exchange student.

 

But as Jinyoung entered her office, the dean welcomed him with a warm, "Oh, there you are Jinyoung! You're just in time."

Just in time. Alright.

Just in time to meet another exchange student. An American, this time. The dean even said he has some Taiwanese descent or something, but Jinyoung isn't sure and he basically doesn't care.

Like it would make any difference, right?

 

As expected, Jinyoung wasn't able to execute his well-thought-of plan.

Instead, he just stood there, half smiling (and that half smile is fake, of course) and nodding to the dean as she asked him to once again, assist the new exchange student.
 

Mark Tuan.
 

He is a soccer player, majoring in sports of course.

He is an import of their university's soccer team for the upcoming interleague olympics this January.

Jinyoung is tasked to help the guy out on his subjects, specifically, Hangul and Math since those are his weakpoints. Mark can't afford to fail, otherwise, he'll be sent back to L.A. They are both made aware of that.
 

 

Mark is friendly and nice. Too nice, that is. And his american ways are really evident.

Until now, Jinyoung can still hear his "Hey, what's up bro?" everytime Mark sees him and attempts to give him a high five.

His high pitched laughter even when there is nothing worth laughing about.

His squeal every time he gets a correct answer in Jinyoung's prepared questions (and even when he gets it wrong).
 

He is not exactly loud as you may call it but, he is also not exactly the quiet type. He likes to talk, to converse.

Mark always try to start a conversation with him but unless it's school related, Jinyoung is not participating.

Mark even brought two lunch boxes one time while they were having a session. But Jinyoung refused to eat just because he wants to get on with the discussion already, so the older ended up eating all by himself.
 

It's not because Jinyoung hates Mark.

It's just because... he doesn't particularly like him.

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

"Here."

He handed Mark a folder which contains the essay that he has written for him.

It is his assignment. Since it should be written in Hangul, Jinyoung made it for him.

"Uhm, what is this?" Mark still needs to work on his skill in speaking in korean, in Jinyoung's opinion.

"It is your assignment." he said in english just so Mark won't bother to talk in korean anymore.

Jinyoung finished writing it while waiting for the older from his last class in the afternoon. Now Jinyoung has to attend his.

"Anyway, I need to go to class now. I will just meet you later if you need any more help."

Jinyoung stood up and  gathered his things and went straight to class, without waiting to hear Mark say anything.

 

He just did him a favor. Jinyoung is used to finishing projects for his tutees. This essay is just a small work.
 

After his last class that afternoon, Jinyoung went back to the study hall. He almost ran into Mark who is obviously in a hurry.

"I am sorry." The brunette said as he checked if the younger was okay. "I just need to go, I forgot about my practice."

Then Mark's off.

Jinyoung, being his not minding self just shrugged and went to the table where Youngjae is now seated.

"Hyung." Youngjae said as he sat down. "Here." then handed the folder back to him.

Jinyoung is confused. He gave this to Mark so why is it...

"He just read it to get some ideas but he wrote the essay himself. He took almost two hours writing it, and he was having a hard time since you were not here to help him so I opted to give him a hand."

 

Jinyoung is dumbfounded.

Did he hear it right? Mark wrote the essay himself? And didn't just submit the one he has already written, as what he has expected?

Without saying anything, Jinyoung stood up and went to follow Mark. He knew where the older was headed to. He did say he had practice. So, Jinyoung ran towards the soccer field.
 

"This would be the last time, right Tuan?"

Jinyoung saw Mark, right at the middle of the field, with his head kept down. And he is being scolded by his coach. Because he was late. Because he finished writing his own essay rather than just submitting Jinyoung's already finished work.
 

And what is this tiny feeling creeping inside his heart?

Are you perhaps, feeling guilty, Jinyoung?

 

He perceived Mark to be just like those exchange students whom he has previously helped.

He expected Mark to be just as same, so why is he here, seeming to prove Jinyoung otherwise?
 

"YES, COACH!"

Jinyoung heard him say while still keeping his head down.
 

He just sighed. Feeling guilty yet, Jinyoung?

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

Jinyoung didn't admit to being guilty. But here he is, walking his way to the study hall, while holding two lunch boxes.

He prepared it with full effort. Fingers crossed, that it will taste just fine since he is no expert in cooking.

As Jinyoung arrived at the hall, he saw Mark reading a math book and it looks like he is trying to solve some word problem or something. His brows are knitted and that ought to tell Jinyoung that he is extremely focused in what he is doing.

And of course, you don't find this cute.
 

Mark looked up as Jinyoung approached his table.

"Hey, Jinyoung." Mark speaks in English. "I have a question." He turned the book so Jinyoung could look at it as he pointed at a word problem. "Can I also use that formula that you taught me yesterday to find-"

"Let's study later." Jinyoung said, cutting him off.

Mark's mouth hanged open. "W-what?"

Jinyoung pursed his lips and closed the book. "Let us eat first." he said as he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter